The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac
news is hours old,**** is not even out,its unheard,nary a demo yet, and fools be complaining bout features and what it has/hasn't @200 dollas
gtfoohwtBS
i seriously doubt the machine's features and sounds will interfere/inhibit your next money making song/single that you are cooking up in the lab

ps
WElCoMe to GeaR SluTz
leave your prefrontal cortex @ the front door
Old 10th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Right, and while I kind of dug the noisy lo-fi sound of the MFB-522, it's not an 808 clone, that's for sure. I don't think the quality is close. I thought about one but even at the low price they want for a 522 I just didn't think it was worth it to me... however, if Akai can make the RW for $200 and have it in the ballpark of the 522's sound, I'll take one for sure. I'm just not expecting it to sound as good as something like the Vermona DRM1 Mk3, which is one of the drum synths I really dig the sound of.
Different flavor certainly, lo-fi not so sure...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCjONzq-OkA

And keep in mind they're not making nearly the same quantities as Korg or even Akai will, which would allow them to sell them even cheaper.

The Volca Beats' snare can be easily fixed, not sure if you saw that thread, the mod author seems to believe they might have used a wrong component in there, bottom line is, it wouldn't have been any more expensive to have it sounding great.

It's not like digital devices are just a chip with midi and audio jacks, there's loads of electronics in there too, and surface mounted analog components these days are not only cheaper, but they can be assembled by machines at a much faster speed. The only reason some of them cost so much is because people are willing to pay that much, but that's changing...
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

can we chill on all the 'golden age' exclamations?
most of this stuff is made very cheaply - and it's not built to last like the good vintage gear was.
other than some of the modulars, i don't see any great shakes in analog today. when the DSi mophox4 is near the top of a very short list of the polys available new today what does this tell you(now compare to selection in 1983 of new polysynths...).
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

my thoughts in gifs...

FOR AKAI:

FOR THE PADS:

FOR THE PRICE:

FOR THE TROLLS:

Hopefully it sounds good. Wasn't really impressed with the volcas. But they're alright
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

$200 analog drum machine WITH pads AND MIDI ins and outs WITH Gate Trigger???? AND dedicated audio outs???? AND 32 step sequencer????

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

This is a no brainer if it sounds as good as a Volca beats, and certainly if it sounds better!

This and that new stringer synth have me pretty stoked for the year!

Starting to go jaded on the Elektron AR....THIS has freakin' OUTS Elektron....OUTS to control other gear!

I could get this and put that extra $1400 towards a PM System 90 or Foundation 3! Or a Sub 37!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
bottom line is, it wouldn't have been any more expensive to have it sounding great.
huh???

it takes time to recognize a problem, and time to fix it.
in business, time always = money, unless it's a volunteer/non-profit situation, which Akai or Korg certainly is not.

it's like reality 101, no?
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Legacy View Post
First the news of an ARP Odyssey re-issue.
...Then an analog drum machine from Akai.

We are living in a golden age, fellow synth freaks.
Yeah the only problem is that when the digital trend comes back around and everyone drops the analog craze only a few of these pieces will be worth getting for dirt cheap...
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
can we chill on all the 'golden age' exclamations?
most of this stuff is made very cheaply - and it's not built to last like the good vintage gear was.
sorry, it's a golden-age, just gonna have to deal with it

and regarding vintage gear...
1) i used to play a Kawai SX210... not that solid (great synth nonetheless, tried to buy one recently for $200, but already sold)
2) some Korg gear was less-than-stellar build quality: lambda, delta, sigma for instance... the Trident too iirc)
3) a bunch of synth's and electronic piano's back then used a really crappy particle-board; the kind that bent easily when wet (beer), or heated (stage-lighting)... left a rippling frame that always wobbled.

look at the amount of analog gear that's come out, or about to;
the build quality may not be as good (we'll know in another 30 years),
but anyone into analog gear these last few years have been awesome

...and my wallet has never felt lighter.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

I noticed the MPX16 has a typo written on his panel "AMP ATTACT"

Anyways it has a mono/poly parameters whereas the mpx8 was only monophonic. Take my money on this one too.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Really, I thought about spending 1400 on Analog Rytm and 1800 on a Nordlead 4.
Instead I'll spend 200 on Rhythm Wolf and 250 on Streichfett. Or whatever it costs.

Sub 37 gets more and more likely for me
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood View Post
look at the amount of analog gear that's come out, or about to;the build quality may/may-not suck (we'll know in another 30 years),
but for anyone into analog gear the last few years have been awesome

...and my wallet has never felt lighter.
haha, thank god you're not paying 1978 prices. Prophet 5 was what, over $4,000 when it came out so I shudder to think what that would be today ($15,000?).
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
I'm so gonna get one, even if it sounds ****.
My god.. How pathetic people are..

Good for Akai for cashing in on that..!
Old 11th March 2014
Should be interesting to see what the other manufacturers are coming out with and their response to this..

Im interested more in akais offering than anyone else, but i wont buy something just because its cheap.

We are in the golden shower of gear!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
We are in the golden shower of gear!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
This is going to put a real dent on Korg Volca sales - I don't think any the less of Korg or the Volca range, but drums + bass in a large format for $200 is a no-brain purchase. As for Roland...well, I said they should go analog. If they had, their reputation would have produced plenty of sales at the Aira price points. But since they chose to go VA, I think they just woke up to a 50% drop in projected sales of the TR-8 and TB-3. This is a devastating move by Akai. I'm amazed and impressed.
It all depends on how it sounds...

I can see people buying them both. We all have more than one synth, why stop at one drum machine?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Go Akai! Looks great with the wooden sides.

Got excited, but only two outputs, not individual drum part outputs. And no pan options for Individual percussion sounds, so I'd have to track out drum sounds individually one by one to get panning right. Kind of annoyng.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
I am predicting me cancelling my Elektron Octatrack order and buying an MPX16. I don't need the OT sequencer and I don't like the laundry list of problems that I see in the Elektronauts forum, combined with the fact that I have no clue as to when they will ship the actual product.... well at this point I am going to rescind my $1500 loan to Elektron. Oh well $1200 in my pocket is good for me.
I really wouldn't cancel the OT - I've had mine for about 2 weeks and this is a mini studio - the akai would be a great partner to the ot - on fact the ot and the akai and I don't care about the new AR which I was sorta playing with idea of getting. Look for an OT second hand as I was going to buy a new one froma dealer but over at the elektron forum I bought an OT and an A4 for the price of a new OT.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I wonder if that sequencer will have the famous akai swing settings programmed into it.
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear
This is going to be amazing! I'll buy it even if it sounds just "okay" :D
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Well why don't we have $200 minimoogs then? $300 ARP 2600s? Why does the Volca Beat's snare drum sound like crap? Why does my Moog Sub Phatty sound better than my MoPho?
We have $300 MiniBrutes, and $600 MS-20 Minis.

You are not going to get a real Moog at $200, but that is due to the cost of the name, where the company wants to price it, not what is in the box. There is nothing special in a MiniMoog that couldn't be recreated in a box similar to the brutes.

The Volca snare drum sounds like crap due to the design, not the cost of any components involved.

The Sub Phatty sounds better than your MoPho because all DSI synths share the same poor DSI sound, that is due to their design.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Nice! More lovely ANALOG small drum machines. Keep them coming! One thing only, name is awful. Wolf? Really?
Old 11th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizt View Post
Nice! More lovely ANALOG small drum machines. Keep them coming! One thing only, name is awful. Wolf? Really?
Why is the name important at all? It's not like you have to introduce it to your family or friends. They could've called it Rhythm Rectum for all I care.

Sorry, don't mean to be rude - but seriously, why is the name important?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's not very good to pronounce, I guess. But neither is "Streichfett" for you English speakers :D
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse381 View Post
I wonder if that sequencer will have the famous akai swing settings programmed into it.
from the pics it looks like it has 4 degrees of Akai Swing! So yes, it will have some sort of swing.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizt View Post
Old 11th March 2014
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
We have $300 MiniBrutes, and $600 MS-20 Minis.

You are not going to get a real Moog at $200, but that is due to the cost of the name, where the company wants to price it, not what is in the box. There is nothing special in a MiniMoog that couldn't be recreated in a box similar to the brutes.
So are you inferring that Moog is just holding back yet in reality they could design, manufacturer, and sell an identical reissue to the Minimoog for $200, and on top of it they could fit it all in a box similar to the size of a Minibrute?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
see: BKE Beat Thang

also, i wonder how popular the DSI Tempest would be if they had actually called it the "BoomChik".

Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Maybe they are going to have a 'wolfpack'. This one then wolf lead or leader or alpha. Then maybe a beta or..?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
Why is the name important at all? It's not like you have to introduce it to your family or friends. They could've called it Rhythm Rectum for all I care.

I understand you being from a Nordic country appreciates wolves. I do too, but I just find it a little bit uninspired But yeah, who gives a damn about the name let's wait for some samples.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search