The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 7th October 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Ok, link should be better now. Hadn't notice Gearslutz magic thingy had kicked in

Anyway, to anyone with a clue: looking at that PCB, is the Wolf mod friendly?
Is it all discrete thru-hole? no. But I will definitely be modding mine, ASAP. Gotta fix that soft bass drum and squelch out that synth.

I thought about canceling and getting a TR-8 but promised myself to pwn the RW and contribute to my unique sound for half the cost. Redoing the graphics will be fun too.
Old 7th October 2014
Gear Addict
audio samples on that link are mp3... yoink.
Old 7th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikers1945 View Post
audio samples on that link are mp3... yoink.
as if that'd matter!

Seriously, I'd rather **** around on one of those ancient Yamaha consumer synths with the half dozen FM sliders. Not saying this thing doesn't have its place somewhere as a product, but really... get a plan together.
Old 8th October 2014
Gear Guru

The first track I'm making with mine will be called " I don't have no clap"..
Old 8th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Looking at the bonedo.de gutshot it looks like a volca beats, with the analogue sound SMD bits laid around the pots -not very fun to solder! No labelling, humph.
But there is a very promising looking ribbon connector in the top right - cut a slot in the top panel and plug in your breakout box for individual outs?
Old 8th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Looking at the bonedo.de gutshot it looks like a volca beats, with the analogue sound SMD bits laid around the pots -not very fun to solder! No labelling, humph.
But there is a very promising looking ribbon connector in the top right - cut a slot in the top panel and plug in your breakout box for individual outs?
Old 9th October 2014
VST
Lives for gear

The first small batch is in at Sweetwater. I should have it tomorrow. Demo to follow soon after.
Old 9th October 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
The first track I'm making with mine will be called " I don't have no clap"..
i want the clap
Old 9th October 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
On what planet did these muppets at Akai think omitting the clap and giving us a clave-rimshot was a good idea..seriously the mind boggles..??

how many dance or hip hop records over the years have been made popular with claves v claps..?

A single tom sound would of been more useful that a friggin clave..just a huge > Akai..
the word on the street is that there is a deluxe version coming out where the clave rimshot is replaced with a 12-bit wolf howl sample.
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
The first small batch is in at Sweetwater. I should have it tomorrow. Demo to follow soon after.
Do let us know if it transmits note data plz!
Old 9th October 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
that would be the icing on the cake
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Addict

anddddd the sweetwater stock is gone till [email protected]#[email protected]#!
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Apparently, CDM asked a while ago (March):
Quote:
CDM: Can you sequence external hardware with the 32-step sequencer? (either over MIDI, USB, or both?)
Akai: Yes. USB and MIDI.
With all my thanks to kingink on VSE for pointing this out. Guess that info got lost in all the wolf pics.

Would still like someone to confirm this and maybe say if/how it outputs slides/ties (overlapping notes?).
Old 10th October 2014
Just got a call from my Sweetwater sales rep, he said they shipped mine out last night. I will update with a video demo when I have it.
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Just got a call from my Sweetwater sales rep, he said they shipped mine out last night. I will update with a video demo when I have it.
Did you have it pre-ordered? It says shipping now but when I placed my order they said they were out of stock.

Either way, looking forward to the demo video.
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Addict

I preordered from JRR shop forever ago and haven't heard anything yet.
Old 10th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
Did you have it pre-ordered? It says shipping now but when I placed my order they said they were out of stock.

Either way, looking forward to the demo video.
Yes pre-ordered many many months ago, told them I really wanted it ha, and payed more for faster shipping. Maybe that all worked in my favor. Ironically this is the first thing I ordered from Sweetwater ever and my sales rep is great. Fantastic service.

Just for entertainment sake I also pre-ordered from Guitar Center to see who would deliver first. Looks like Sweetwater beat them. I ordered the exact same day from both. Just cancelled my GC order.

I am freelance and not booked next week and should get this in 2 days so the day I have it I'll post up videos. Priority #1.
Old 11th October 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Just fired it up. It DOES transmit note out. I didn't think it would, but I'm very happy it does!

The synth is really out of tune. Octaves are at least a full semitone off. Not cool. Maybe it needs to warm up more.

The kick hits pretty well, much better than a Volcs Beats. The hats are not that great and the tune does almost nothing on them. The snare is pretty great. The percussion is an after-thought.

I'm guessing they had many problems with the design causing delays cuz it's still a bit of a weird drum machine.

Still worth $200 but if I can't play the synth in tune, what's the point of it? I thought it was in some alternate tuning when I first started playing it.
Old 11th October 2014
Quote:
Just fired it up. It DOES transmit note out. I didn't think it would, but I'm very happy it does!

The synth is really out of tune. Octaves are at least a full semitone off. Not cool. Maybe it needs to warm up more.

The kick hits pretty well, much better than a Volcs Beats. The hats are not that great and the tune does almost nothing on them. The snare is pretty great. The percussion is an after-thought.

I'm guessing they had many problems with the design causing delays cuz it's still a bit of a weird drum machine.

Still worth $200 but if I can play the synth in tune, what's the point of it? I thought it was in some alternate tuning when I first started playing it.
You saying the synth is out of tune that bad?
Old 11th October 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
You saying the synth is out of tune that bad?
Yes. I've had it on for an hour and it's still terrible. When my tune knob is turned down almost all the way it helps stretch the octaves to tune up better but doesn't do the other intervals any good. Not to mention that, that's the master tune knob so it certainly won't be in tune with other gear. The higher you turn it the more the octaves detune.

I'll wait for you and others to confirm, but if it's not just mine and I don't hear from Akai about a possible fix, it's gonna have to go back I'm afraid. I mean it's almost still worth it for sequencing external gear and the bass drum.

You can trigger external synths polyphonically but can only enter mono note in the sequencer(no surprise).

For the price...
9 out of 10 for Sequencer
7 out of 10 for the drums(7 only because of the bass and snare, 5 otherwise)
2 out of 10 for the synth

So close, such a shame. I wasn't expecting much from that mono synth but it really is a mess. The filter is real crap too. Switching the synth from square to saw also shows slightly different tuning ratios

There's probably an internal tuning pot in there but my quess is Akai is praying that people will open these up and void their warranties.
Old 11th October 2014
Quote:
Yes. I've had it on for an hour and it's still terrible. When my tune knob is turned down almost all the way it helps stretch the octaves to tune up better but doesn't do the other intervals any good. Not to mention that, that's the master tune knob so it certainly won't be in tune with other gear. The higher you turn it the more the octaves detune.

I'll wait for you and others to confirm, but if it's not just mine and I don't hear from Akai about a possible fix, it's gonna have to go back I'm afraid. I mean it's almost still worth it for sequencing external gear and the bass drum.

You can trigger external synths polyphonically but can only enter mono note in the sequencer(no surprise).

For the price...

So close, such a shame. I wasn't expecting much from that mono synth but it really is a mess. The filter is real crap too. Switching the synth from square to saw also shows slightly different tuning ratios

There's probably an internal tuning pot in there but my quess is Akai is praying that people will open these up and void their warranties.
Think mine should arrive Monday. My tracking number should be in my email by tonight.

UPDATE: Will arrive Tues at 8pm estimated time of arrival.....uh...thanks 2 day shipping.....uh....sure.
Old 11th October 2014
Quote:

For the price...

Oh dear, glad I didn't preorder this one.
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
explain?
Old 11th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
explain?
I assumed it means you can play more than one note live via the keyboard layout, but can only program one note per step into the sequencer.
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Guru
go on..
Old 11th October 2014
that's it
Old 11th October 2014
Old 11th October 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesign75 View Post
I assumed it means you can play more than one note live via the keyboard layout, but can only program one note per step into the sequencer.
exactally
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

For the price...

I'm curious then. Why were the one's in the demo in tune or at least not noticeably out of tune....Can anyone else confirm this or did you maybe get a lemon?
Old 13th October 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
I'm curious then. Why were the one's in the demo in tune or at least not noticeably out of tune....Can anyone else confirm this or did you maybe get a lemon?
I think the demo tunes are out of tune actually but it's harder to tell without hearing it in person first.

I'll have a video up tomorrow.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search