The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1st October 2014
  #2311
Gear Addict
 
Aletheia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looping Loddar View Post
That is the right spirit!

Together with a nice distortion pedal the Akai Wolf will come to live. But, i have to admit that the Sounds of the Korg Volca Sample (*click*) and its motion sequencer are much more interesting and useful for me.
I would totally get the Volca Sample but I don't have an iphone or ipad and don't plan on ever getting one. Never been an apple fan.

If they released a android app, now THAT would change things...
Old 1st October 2014
  #2312
Lives for gear
 
Looping Loddar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
I would totally get the Volca Sample but I don't have an iphone or ipad and don't plan on ever getting one. Never been an apple fan. If they released a android app, now THAT would change things...
I understand your opinion. I don't like Apple, too.

To me the Korg Volca Sample would be that "thing changer":

If Akai really don't offered an alternative to the IOS-world I would buy an old, used Iphone or Ipad with some small LCD Errors for 70 bucks (or 140 bucks without errors) (Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synthExample1, Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synthExample2). As a package this is only a bit more expensive (compared to an Akai Rhythm Wolf).

But more fun.
Old 2nd October 2014
  #2313
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
On what planet did these muppets at Akai think omitting the clap and giving us a clave-rimshot was a good idea..seriously the mind boggles..??

how many dance or hip hop records over the years have been made popular with claves v claps..?

A single tom sound would of been more useful that a friggin clave..just a huge > Akai..
Old 2nd October 2014
  #2314
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looping Loddar View Post
I understand your opinion. I don't like Apple, too.

To me the Korg Volca Sample would be that "thing changer":

If Akai really don't offered an alternative to the IOS-world I would buy an old, used Iphone or Ipad with some small LCD Errors for 70 bucks (or 140 bucks without errors) (Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synthExample1, Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synthExample2). As a package this is only a bit more expensive (compared to an Akai Rhythm Wolf).

But more fun.
you can get a used iPod touch for even less than that
Old 2nd October 2014
  #2315
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
On what planet did these muppets at Akai think omitting the clap and giving us a clave-rimshot was a good idea..seriously the mind boggles..??

how many dance or hip hop records over the years have been made popular with claves v claps..?

A single tom sound would of been more useful that a friggin clave..just a huge > Akai..
Good point ... But there are so many good clap samples out there. I don't think this is meant to be a main drummachine ...
Old 2nd October 2014
  #2316
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
Old 3rd October 2014
  #2317
Lives for gear
 

Perfect sample pack for the Rhythm Parrot.

~~~

User guide's available:
Rhythm Wolf : Akai Professional - Iconic music production gear, including the legendary MPC

I'm not done reading it.

Apparently the Wolf weights 4.6 lbs.
Bit more than the Tr-8 (4.25 lbs.)
And bit less than a Microkorg (4.85 lbs.)
Old 3rd October 2014
  #2318
Lives for gear
 

Done, not much to it. Only thing I found interesting is how you can transpose multiple bass notes at once in Step record mode.

Waiting for more MIDI details.
Old 3rd October 2014
  #2319
VST
Lives for gear
 
VST's Avatar
According the user guide it has a Kensington Security Slot. Thank god I can prevent the theft of my $200 drum machine with a $50 security cable.
Old 3rd October 2014
  #2320
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Good point ... But there are so many good clap samples out there. I don't think this is meant to be a main drummachine ...
maybe they want you to buy the MPX16 to sample the clap...
Old 3rd October 2014
  #2321
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
maybe they want you to buy the MPX16 to sample the clap...


I think they "want" you to buy every product they have on offer.
Old 3rd October 2014
  #2322
Gear Guru
So .. what is the MIDI OUT for on this thing?
Old 3rd October 2014
  #2323
Gear Nut
 
Swook's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
So .. what is the MIDI OUT for on this thing?
You can use it to sequence another synth.
Old 3rd October 2014
  #2324
Gear Guru
Is that a fact?
Old 3rd October 2014
  #2325
Gear Addict
 
Aletheia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swook View Post
You can use it to sequence another synth.

Source?
Old 3rd October 2014
  #2326
VST
Lives for gear
 
VST's Avatar
It states in the user manual that it sends transport and clock via midi. No mention of note data. It ain't happening.
Old 3rd October 2014
  #2327
Gear Addict
 
Aletheia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
It states in the user manual that it sends transport and clock via midi. No mention of note data. It ain't happening.
This was my impression as well.
Old 3rd October 2014
  #2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
It states in the user manual that it sends transport and clock via midi. No mention of note data. It ain't happening.
Old 5th October 2014
  #2329
Lives for gear
 

Would be crazy not to send note data.

A huge part of the appeal of this is that, unlike Korg's offering (Volca, Monotribe), it integrates well with standard equipment.

I'd expect their potential market to melt away if this can't sequence another synth.

I mean, how could the Wolf "breed recklessly with your favorite analog or digital gear" if it can't send note data?

Wait. Maybe it's a Shewolf and can only....no...let's not go there... why did I go there...
Old 5th October 2014
  #2330
Gear Guru
and foolish me thought perhaps you could sequence the Gate Out.
Old 5th October 2014
  #2331
Lives for gear
 
Looping Loddar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
and foolish me thought perhaps you could sequence the Gate Out.
+ 1
Old 6th October 2014
  #2332
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

From manual, my bold:

"USB Port:
Use a standard USB cable to connect this port to an available USB port on
your computer. This connection lets Rhythm Wolf send and receive MIDI over USB to and from your computer"

"MIDI Out/Thru:
Use a standard five-pin MIDI cable to connect this MIDI Out to the MIDI
In of an external MIDI device (e.g., a synthesizer, sequencer, drum machine, etc.). .. "

"Gate Trig Out:
Use a standard 1/8" (3.5mm) TS cable to connect this output to the input
of an optional external device that can receive Rhythm Wolf's Gate (trigger) messages."

Where does it say it only sends sync and transport?
Old 6th October 2014
  #2333
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
From manual, my bold:

"USB Port:
Use a standard USB cable to connect this port to an available USB port on
your computer. This connection lets Rhythm Wolf send and receive MIDI over USB to and from your computer"

"MIDI Out/Thru:
Use a standard five-pin MIDI cable to connect this MIDI Out to the MIDI
In of an external MIDI device (e.g., a synthesizer, sequencer, drum machine, etc.). .. "

"Gate Trig Out:
Use a standard 1/8" (3.5mm) TS cable to connect this output to the input
of an optional external device that can receive Rhythm Wolf's Gate (trigger) messages."

Where does it say it only sends sync and transport?
User Guide page 7 "Transport Control" > When Set to Internal:
Quote:
When Rhythm Wolf's MIDI Out/Thru is set to Out, it will send MIDI Start, Stop, Continue, Clock, and SongPosPtr=0 depending on its transport state.
They don't say "Only" however.
Old 6th October 2014
  #2334
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swook View Post
You can use it to sequence another synth.

you can probably clock an external arpeggio at best..
Old 7th October 2014
  #2335
Lives for gear
 

Really, it's just that they don't out right say it sends note data.

Anyway, a review here:

AKAI R. Wolf Test Preview - bonedo

Not in English, maybe try Google translate, or just enjoy the audio demos, the vid, and a nice shot of the PCB

Last edited by ToyBox; 7th October 2014 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: improved link!
Old 7th October 2014
  #2336
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Nice audio samples.

A genuinely lo-fi simple analog machine, no frills in the sound, bass synth not trying to sound like a phat moog, just cheap analog lo-fi begging to be fed to some battered guitar pedals, with just a tad bit of 808 flavor.


Very charming
Old 7th October 2014
  #2337
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
I really like that kick, it reminds me of Daft Punk. The hat and percussion are cool too, I'm not all the way sold on the snare. Not sure about the synth but at least it's there, can add to a sequence.
Old 7th October 2014
  #2338
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Really, it's just that they don't out right say it sends note data.

Anyway, a review here:

AKAI Rhythm Wolf Test Preview - bonedo

Not in English, maybe try Google translate, or just enjoy the audio demos, the vid, and a nice shot of the PCB
did you test your link after you posted it to see if it works...??

it doesn't for me..

edit..okay I clicked the wrong part of the link..you have to click the far right end to access the review...
Old 7th October 2014
  #2339
Gear Addict
 

Or use THIS link
Old 7th October 2014
  #2340
Lives for gear
 

Ok, link should be better now. Hadn't notice Gearslutz magic thingy had kicked in

Anyway, to anyone with a clue: looking at that PCB, is the Wolf mod friendly?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump