The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 28th September 2014
VST
Lives for gear

I love it when people with weak programming skills move knobs like they're Jeff Mills.
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamoto View Post
Long demo

I couldn't go more than 90seconds, it may be the sound on the recording, it sounds painful to my ears...
Old 28th September 2014
Gear Guru

am I the only person that can't wait to get one of these? hahaha. maybe I'll get ten.
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
I couldn't go more than 90seconds, it may be the sound on the recording, it sounds painful to my ears...
I strongly disagree!!

Somethere between 8:15 and 8:35 there is a small fraction of this, ähm, track which sounds good. But i am not strong enough to hear it again in order to tell you the exact timing of the "ok part".
;-)
Old 28th September 2014
I like the sequencer, the box itself, the bassdrum. The other sounds are meh. Maybe it can be modded?
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
I love it when people with weak programming skills move knobs like they're Jeff Mills.
I hate it when ANYONE turn and touch knobs like Mills...
Old 28th September 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I like the sequencer, the box itself, the bassdrum. The other sounds are meh. Maybe it can be modded?
I bet it's SMD, so that would be probably an ordeal. Maybe some simple little things could be done, probably nothing extensive if it is in fact surface mount. what would be really cool is if it came like the Monotribe, with PCB hacks ready to solder up and use, like the MIDI mod. Personally I'd like individual drum outputs.
Old 29th September 2014
Lives for gear
horrible demos so far.
Old 29th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'll have to mod so many things, you could start designing a new machine altogether
Old 29th September 2014
Gear Addict

how much for a box and sequencer PCB?
Old 29th September 2014
Lives for gear

Any news on the new Windwos Hardware MPC btw?
Old 29th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
You'll have to mod so many things, you could start designing a new machine altogether
the sound of the snare and synth first. bland city.
bassdrum is ok, hihat I can live with (just).
I really like the sequencer. why they stick these generic sounds on it?
make it quirky, funky, make people love or hate it with a passion.
the price is unbeatable so then it's attractive if it's a little different, even if you already have a drummachine.
Old 29th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
horrible demos so far.
Yeah, even I could do a better job than most of these and I suck.

Only one that sounded really good was Richard Divine's running through is million dollar modular and effects.

Seriously, Akai. Send me a unit for free and I'll make a few demos that would make it sound halfway decent... Maybe even might come close to the Volcas!
Old 30th September 2014
Here for the gear
This looks more interesting ...
Attached Thumbnails
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth-akai-1.jpg  
Old 30th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuDaz View Post
Not a lot of controls ... Is there an editor? (The fader looks cool ... Is it motorized?)
Old 30th September 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
Not a lot of controls ... Is there an editor? (The fader looks cool ... Is it motorized?)
Not sure but at that price who could resist ...
Old 30th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can tell that couple isn't married because she is making him toast in the morning. Once they commit his bedroom studio is getting moved under the bed and his whole setup will be reduced to an Akai Rhythm Wolf he keeps in his desk drawer in his cubicle that he can use on lunch breaks and he'll be asking on GS what is the best 1/4" to 1/8" TRS adapter since he can't use his open backed Grados at work only earbuds.

He ends up with a midlife crisis at 45 and ends up building a modular rig in the garage American Beauty style.
Old 30th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Yeah, even I could do a better job than most of these and I suck.

Only one that sounded really good was Richard Divine's running through is million dollar modular and effects.

Seriously, Akai. Send me a unit for free and I'll make a few demos that would make it sound halfway decent... Maybe even might come close to the Volcas!
Volca Beats sounds just better
Old 30th September 2014
Quote:
No wood ends, I'll pass.
Old 1st October 2014
Gear Guru

Okay it's October already, when are these muppets at Akai going to release this thing..??
Old 1st October 2014
Quote:
Funny I like the sequencer, the pads, the box itself but I am underwhelmed by the most important thing,.........the sound.
Old 1st October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
but I am underwhelmed by the most important thing,.........the sound
Gotta agree with you on that one.

Cheers
Old 1st October 2014
Gear Head

Is someone out there can take a few seconds of uncompressed audio, so that we are able to talk about the sound of the box?

Everything I heard from the "wolf" right now, sounds not that pleasing to me - but I like to be sure that it is the box itself.
Another aspect concerning the sequenzer, maybe it is the sound that is disturbing me that much, but it feels like a kind of "Non-Grooving" - what you guys think?
Old 1st October 2014
Gear Guru

The omission of the clap is baffling...??

they certainly are leaders in that department...
Old 1st October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
This was recorded at the Synth Meet here in Seattle on Saturday. I had the Rhythm Wolf at my table for the entire meet, so i got some good quality time with it. The levels on this recording were a bit high, the rep also had the "brute" knob up a bit. This is probably why it sounds a bit "painful" =o] Also, this was a direct audio recording into an iPod/iPhone. Here is a pic of the process...

Here's what i can tell you about it...
It sounds better than you all think it does. The BD isn't as punchy as the Volca's, but it does sound pretty nice.
The SD can sound pretty good at the right settings. It has a really long decay, so if you're into noise builds, there's that.
The "Percussion" sound is not that useful. It's basically a Clave/Rim Shot voice with the ability to add some noise.
The HHs share the same voice. So there is no real difference between the CH and OH sounds, even though they have their own sequencer tracks. Really strange idea they had on that one.
The Bass sound only mildly useful. It's pretty bassy, except for when you turn the resonance up. The higher you go, the more it cut the volume off. When is at it's max, you can barely hear the sound at all. It does not self oscillate.

The build quality is actually pretty nice. It's a metal body with cheap plastic end caps. They can be removed. The pots and pads feel nice, as do the buttons. It has pattern a/b variations along with Fill. You can't set it up so when you hit the pads to change sequencer tracks, the sounds don't sound. So if you're playing live, and you need to switch sounds, they will trigger when you hit the pads. Hoping this is fixed in an OS update at some point.

These will be available in later this month. Overall, i think they're worth the $199 price.

Here are a couple more pics:

Old 1st October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonwerker View Post
..sounds not that pleasing to me - but I like to be sure that it is the box itself.
Another aspect concerning the sequenzer, maybe it is the sound that is disturbing me that much, but it feels like a kind of "Non-Grooving" - what you guys think?
It's probably just a matter of the programmer not adjusting the envelope lenght for the beat, at least I haven't noticed that there should be anything wrong with the beat.
Old 1st October 2014
Gear Maniac
Thanks for your feedback, think I'll preorder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
This was recorded at the Synth Meet here in Seattle on Saturday. I had the Rhythm Wolf at my table for the entire meet, so i got some good quality time with it. The levels on this recording were a bit high, the rep also had the "brute" knob up a bit. This is probably why it sounds a bit "painful" =o] Also, this was a direct audio recording into an iPod/iPhone. Here is a pic of the process...

Here's what i can tell you about it...
It sounds better than you all think it does. The BD isn't as punchy as the Volca's, but it does sound pretty nice.
The SD can sound pretty good at the right settings. It has a really long decay, so if you're into noise builds, there's that.
The "Percussion" sound is not that useful. It's basically a Clave/Rim Shot voice with the ability to add some noise.
The HHs share the same voice. So there is no real difference between the CH and OH sounds, even though they have their own sequencer tracks. Really strange idea they had on that one.
The Bass sound only mildly useful. It's pretty bassy, except for when you turn the resonance up. The higher you go, the more it cut the volume off. When is at it's max, you can barely hear the sound at all. It does not self oscillate.

The build quality is actually pretty nice. It's a metal body with cheap plastic end caps. They can be removed. The pots and pads feel nice, as do the buttons. It has pattern a/b variations along with Fill. You can't set it up so when you hit the pads to change sequencer tracks, the sounds don't sound. So if you're playing live, and you need to switch sounds, they will trigger when you hit the pads. Hoping this is fixed in an OS update at some point.

These will be available in later this month. Overall, i think they're worth the $199 price.

Here are a couple more pics:

Old 1st October 2014
Gear Addict

If the Wolf can send midi note bass lines and start/stop messages that would make it worth it for me. I dig enough parts of the sound that I figure I could still do some cool things with it.
Old 1st October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
(...) I dig enough parts of the sound that I figure I could still do some cool things with it.
That is the right spirit!

Together with a nice distortion pedal the Akai Wolf will come to live. But, i have to admit that the Sounds of the Korg Volca Sample (*click*) and its motion sequencer are much more interesting and useful for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search