The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear

The German reviewer says that the overdrive sounds very (!) cool but noisy if you go over "9". With moderate settings the overdrive noise is no problem.

(i like the percussion sound very much)
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Nut

i blindly pre-ordered from sweetwater back in march after it was announced.

a few days ago i noticed that paypal had cancelled that transaction due to "inactivity", i suppose since sweetwater didn't actually charge my account yet.

i just got off the phone with a sweetwater rep who assured me i'd still have my spot in line. he checked on the date for me and said...gulp EARLY NOVEMBER.

perhaps i did lose my spot, because i was under the impression that these would be shipping in the next week or two.
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
Did you ask him when it would be available?
He told me sometime next month, but to me he didnt sound a hundred percent reasuring
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Guru

no clap, but that stupid wood block click sound...

Didn't Akai build their reputation in this industry with their MPC series and hip hop users, so they make a drum machine with no clap...lol

I will buy one for sure, the kick n bass alone are worth it, but so silly not to have the standard clap sound imo...
Old 12th September 2014
I already got mine on Pre-Order but darn, I really wish Akai put one part as a sampler! It is Akai! Would have made the thing great!
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
I already got mine on Pre-Order but darn, I really wish Akai put one part as a sampler! It is Akai! Would have made the thing great!
Maybe Akai will come out with a sampler version of this and call it the Rhythm Parrot.
Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear

the nord drum seems a better option for serious music production
Old 13th September 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Agreed, replace the perc with a clap sample or better yet a user selectable pcm sample and it would be better or better still a simple sampler.

Still, i was really impressed with the howl on that German review. Stoked.
Old 13th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Maybe Akai will come out with a sampler version of this and call it the Rhythm Parrot.
I literally LOL'd.
Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Maybe it'll do pieces of 8-beat.
Old 13th September 2014
Gear Addict

Im LOLing how this initially trolling thread turned into 'i def buy it'
Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Agreed, replace the perc with a clap sample or better yet a user selectable pcm sample and it would be better or better still a simple sampler.
I don't think the analog purists (Eat this, in your face *#[email protected]! Roland) will appreciate that...
Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthio View Post
I don't think the analog purists (Eat this, in your face *#[email protected]! Roland) will appreciate that...
I think that analog purists (the very few that may exist) would love a sample slot. But they probably wouldn't need a VA slot.
Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear

New knobs

Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear
That should take the sound up to the next level.
Old 14th September 2014
Gear Addict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-7qBWt95Uo

Video from BPM 2014. Says it'll be in stores in the next 4 weeks.

Test: Akai Rhythm Wolf, Analog Drum Machine - AMAZONA.de

German review or sorts
Old 15th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Complete with Squawk knob?
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

I'm cool with VA: send a Rhythm Aibo my way
Old 16th September 2014
Gear Nut

Another long shot question here: the MIDI OUT sends pitch data, no? Would that mean I could create a sequence on the bass section, then MIDI it into something like my MS-20 Mini, using it as an external sequencer?

I was thinking of getting a Beatstep, but may pass if this aspect is already covered by the Wolf.
Old 16th September 2014
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

not convinced
Old 16th September 2014
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

I need more convincing
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

Is the velocity sensivity somehow usable with the build in sequencer?

That would be something you don't see every day in a analog drum machine.
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

sorry it just sounds sounds weak, I've been trying to like this, but I'll pass, it sounds like they've put ultra cheap electronics init.
running these demo's alongside the Nord drum it comes off unfavourably, but I guess it depends on whether you want a realitisc drum sound or the squeaks and pops from this box. almost seduced by its look but must resist the temptation and go with how it sounds.
Old 16th September 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
sorry it just sounds sounds weak, I've been trying to like this, but I'll pass, it sounds like they've put ultra cheap electronics init.
running these demo's alongside the Nord drum it comes off unfavourably, but I guess it depends on whether you want a realitisc drum sound or the squeaks and pops from this box. almost seduced by its look but must resist the temptation and go with how it sounds.
This is at least the second time you've mentioned the Nord Drum in this thread. I fail to see why you're comparing the two.
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

^^Agreed... one is a professionally-priced stand alone drum-synth module that is designed to work with pads and does not have an internal sequencer.... and the other is a budget-priced all-in-one groove box. Two different products that serve different purposes. For the price delta and the exclusive focus on drum-synthesis, the Nord SHOULD sound better.

That said, for two bills I think the RW sounds great. More importantly it looks like a lot of fun. And, of course, it has a picture of a wolf on it, which will go well with my Three Wolf Moon tee shirt.

+

= Ladies Get Ready!
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

Whoops ...
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

I'd say this is off topic, but they do mention howling, so...

Old 16th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
Why are you comparing the Nord Drum??

watermellons and oranges

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search