The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th September 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
big box for a little drum machine...
Check the box of relatively small MPK225, it is BIG
Old 10th September 2014
Based on that demo...

The kick sounds decent.
The percussion part sounds like a tune-able rimshot with the ability to add noise. Not as interesting as I'd hoped.
The hats sound ok - metallic but a little "thin" to my ears.

As for the snare - it sounds like the noise element of the snare has an extremely small sweet spot on the dial for making the voice sound passable. Either that, or the demonstrator just got wacky with the dial and highlighted the extremes.
Old 10th September 2014
Lives for gear

Reposting the new demo with the Bass synth that Alex.G found with a direct link.

This looks fun for $200. For that price it sounds better raw than I would expect; I know that bass will sound lovely through my guitar pedals. I like the layout as well - seems like every major function is right in front of you. The I/O, knobs and pads are adult sized as well - as much as I like the Volca stuff, between the 1/8 audio plug and the micro-sized everything, it gets fiddly.

I put in a pre-order @ Sweetwater.

Between this, the Volcas, the new 'Tribes, the Airas, we are kind of in a new golden age of el cheapo grooveboxes, which is fine by me.
Old 10th September 2014
Lives for gear

^^^
Souns pretty good.

Loving that it also has individual outs to run thru my pedals. Can't wait to muck with some of those sounds.
Old 10th September 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
Reposting the new demo with the Bass synth that Alex.G found with a direct link.

This looks fun for $200. For that price it sounds better raw than I would expect; I know that bass will sound lovely through my guitar pedals. I like the layout as well - seems like every major function is right in front of you. The I/O, knobs and pads are adult sized as well - as much as I like the Volca stuff, between the 1/8 audio plug and the micro-sized everything, it gets fiddly.

I put in a pre-order @ Sweetwater.

Between this, the Volcas, the new 'Tribes, the Airas, we are kind of in a new golden age of el cheapo grooveboxes, which is fine by me.
Couldn't agree with you more. I'm gonna pre-order it once I get paid from sweetwater as well.
Old 10th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
big box for a little drum machine...
I think it is the angle of the photo. The box is closer to the camera than Skrillex.
Old 10th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Loving that it also has individual outs to run thru my pedals. Can't wait to muck with some of those sounds.
Be aware, it doesn't have individual outs for each drum voice. It just has one bass synth-only output and one output labeled Main Out which is either all the drum voices on one output or the drums and bass synth together (not sure). However, there are likely solder points on the PCB for adding individual outs for each drum voice.
Old 10th September 2014
Lives for gear

I'm really digging the sound of the bass.
Old 10th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. I'm gonna pre-order it once I get paid from sweetwater as well.
I'm liking the build way better than the Volca Beats. The pads are really awesome too. That's definitely Akai's design character.
Old 10th September 2014
Gear Guru

Not a %100 sure as I'd need to try it for real, but you might be able to edit the kick drum to sound like a bass synth, then remove the noise and tune the snare into a kick, effectively giving you two basslines or one bassline one lead...??!!
Old 11th September 2014
Detailed pic

Detailed pic.

You can see what all the knobs do here.

Attached Thumbnails
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth-screen-shot-2014-09-10-4.18.09-pm.png  
Old 11th September 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Welp, shipped out my Volca Beats today($110 with power supply) to make room for the Wolf. I'll miss the stutter, live tweaks and PCM sounds the most. I will not miss the piddly size and weak volume.

Pretty sure the Wolf is gonna piss all over the Beats, although I'm still not 100% convinced on the Wolf bass drum but to me it sounds very much like the Beats so no loss. Liking the lone percussion sound more and more for some reason.

Suddenly, $50 Beats all over Ebay.
Old 11th September 2014
Gear Addict

I sold my volca bass yesterday for $80 in as new condition, without a power supply
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear

I will be moving the Volca Beats and Bass to storage to make room for this, though I will leave the Keys as a companion to the Rhythm Wolf. I also think the new Volca Sample would be fun to use along side the RW.

I find the Volcas are fun to put away and drag out to fool with every now and again, but the size and layout of the RW makes it more likely to find a home on my free desk space.
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear

I don't actually own a drum machine, as I've always just used samples in the DAW, but I think I'll get this one. Functionality-wise it's a steal for the price, but more importantly, there are times when a lo-fi kit through a bunch of pedals is what I really want to do, and this could probably fill that role.

The lack of a clap is a bummer though. If it sells enough, perhaps they'll do an expanded V2.
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will be moving the and Bass to storage to make room for this..
I imagine the Volca Bass will be much better for big/creamy bass than the Wolf. You don't use it much?
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear
Ok, i understand putting some 73 key 10 ton monster synth in storage if you buy some kind of hammond organ (no i don't!)... but a volca bass? :p Throw a pair of socks and you got room for it in your bedroom if you need it!
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
I don't actually own a drum machine, as I've always just used samples in the DAW, but I think I'll get this one. Functionality-wise it's a steal for the price, but more importantly, there are times when a lo-fi kit through a bunch of pedals is what I really want to do, and this could probably fill that role.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepydog View Post
Ok, i understand putting some 73 key 10 ton monster synth in storage if you buy some kind of hammond organ (no i don't!)... but a volca bass? :p Throw a pair of socks and you got room for it in your bedroom if you need it!
"Storage" for me is the closet next to my workstation. That's why I'd never sell the Volcas... they are so tiny they can live anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
I imagine the Volca Bass will be much better for big/creamy bass than the Wolf. You don't use it much?
The Volca Bass sounds lovely (esp though a nice delay and 'verb) and I would never part with it, but I like to rotate gear in/out and I only have so much space on the ol' jam table. I find that putting gear away for a few months makes its feel fresh again when I pull it out of the box.
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Volca Bass sounds lovely .. I find that putting gear in storage for a few months makes its feel fresh again when I pull it out of the box again.
Sounds like a good idea!

Yea, I tried the Volca at the store, sounded really nice and beefy to me.
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Addict

As a really fresh beginner and having only Beats i still dont think will sell it, but still playing with idea to get wolf some day.
Old 12th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbox5 View Post
Me too (in black) - they work fine. I cut circular holes in the back and at the top of the slope too so that I could feed cables in and out tidily. Work great for electron gear and the LXR, and also for lining up a few effects pedals on my desktop.
Me too!
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear

tight

i'm in!

is it out now?
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear

tight

i'm in!

is it out now?
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Addict

Akai Rhythm Wolf Review - Seite 2

Here is a review (in german)
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
Akai Rhythm Wolf Review - Seite 2

Here is a review (in german)
Good find and thanks for posting! According to the article it is scheduled to drop 1 October 2014 in Germany.

Lots of audio samples in the article too. Note Aletheia's link will take you to page 2. Go here for the start of the review: Akai Rhythm Wolf Testbericht. Google Translate should let you slog through it.

Seems to give it high marks for build, features and sound, but notes it has a noisy output when engaging the overdrive (I assume he means "Howl"?). I am not 100% sure if he is saying it is noisy overall or just when "Howling"... I think its the latter, but hopefully a native German speaker can clear that up!
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear
got lucky today at long & mcquade in canada today, the akai rep shoed up with the only rythm wolf in the country. Got to spend a few minutes with it. The bass drum is def somewhere between and 808 and 909, punchy, very cool.
the snare is not as bad as early demos showed it to be, just don't over use the noise paramater. hi hats are great, and bass is as well. The howl feature is easy to over use as well and its to bad its set globally but in small doses it can be effective. for 200 bucks you cant really go wrong. cool gear
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
got lucky today at long & mcquade in canada today, the akai rep shoed up with the only rythm wolf in the country. Got to spend a few minutes with it. The bass drum is def somewhere between and 808 and 909, punchy, very cool.
the snare is not as bad as early demos showed it to be, just don't over use the noise paramater. hi hats are great, and bass is as well. The howl feature is easy to over use as well and its to bad its set globally but in small doses it can be effective. for 200 bucks you cant really go wrong. cool gear
What did you think of the bass synth?
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
What did you think of the bass synth?
bass synth was surprisingly good , sqaure and sawtooth waveforms , with the decay at is longest setting the note actually doesnt decay at all, it just hangs so i guess thats cool for the dubstep guys who can then tweak the filter for the old wobble bass sounds. can get pretty gritty with the howl feature. Id use it ")
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
Did you ask him when it would be available?
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear

Now that there are some decent demos (like the ones in the German review) I am not ashamed to say that I actually like pretty much all the sounds of this beastie. With a little processing I bet it will really shine.

Would like to hear how low the kick and snare go.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search