The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 3rd September 2014
Gear Nut

I see it has swing, but it's hard to see in my tablet if it has accent or slide.
Old 3rd September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swook View Post
I see it has swing, but it's hard to see in my tablet if it has accent or slide.
The product page mentions "variable accent percussion" and there is a button labeled "Tie" which I assume is for slide.
Old 3rd September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Thansk Marc...I have the same problem with my Elektron gear, having them completely flat is a bit hard on ym neck. I need to go with a different desk as well ecause my current one is a bit too low for standing up and that makes it even worse. Spine problems run in my family so I don't want to be like my mother with a bunch of metal pins insterted into her neck vertebrae...
Happy to help.
Old 3rd September 2014
Lives for gear

no new demos apart from that crap one

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 4th September 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Piqued again
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Piqued again
Hey that actually sounds pretty good. Love the kick.. nice and punchy. The snare remains a weird thing, but I suppose it can be made useful.. the rest sounds very nice to me! Funky little machine!
Old 4th September 2014
VST
Lives for gear

For sure. The snare is kinda 909'ish which I like. The swing sounds great and the synth is nice and acidic. Feeling better about my pre-order now. It's still only half the demo it could be but better than the other two. Still hard to believe it's so inexpensive, it's got way more options than anything else at that price. Good job Akai!
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear
Just had a flashback after watching that video of all the incredible negative posts about this unit in this thread...
Anyone know what it will cost in Europe? It's a buy for sure!
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Addict

199EUR
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepydog View Post
Just had a flashback after watching that video of all the incredible negative posts about this unit in this thread...
Anyone know what it will cost in Europe? It's a buy for sure!
Perhaps this thread was the fire under Akai's wolf paws ... It may have went a tad overboard at times but I don't think the sentiments were that far off the mark ...

The question we will probably never know the answer to is why didn't Akai just keep their mouths shut until they had something worthwhile to demo ... ??? It's not like Akai HAD TO announce anything about RW way back at that trade show ...

As for purchasing RW ... My experience with my last two purchases might change my mind on this unit ... I bought a Boomstar 4075, and then about a year later bought a Microbrute as an inexpensive counterpart to the 4075 ... Sorry to say, I barely use the Microbrute (which is surprising me) while the 4075 gets much more use (which isn't that surprising) ... I thought I would use them together more but I haven't ...

I'm thinking that if I get something (analog) to complement my Maschine, maybe I should stretch a little more — or a lot ...

But I will admit, the Wolf is looking (and sounding) better again ... But none of these impressions matter much until the instrument is in stores and some time with it available ...

In the end, it's just a drum machine ... But an inexpensive analog drum machine circa 2014 done right (hopefully) is not the least interesting thing in my world ...
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

this thread has more mood swings than a bad relationship
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
this thread has more mood swings than a bad relationship
Yeah, because people can't seem to exercise some patience or govern their expectations. This unit sounding as good as it does is no surprise to me. The last video didn't sound properly recorded. And that acidic vibe has been in previous vids....it just seemed to be overlooked by the complainers.

Cheap enough to see if it can compliment my Tanzbar.
Old 4th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjed View Post
And yet the Roland thread was troll free......

I am guessing his point is, that when you look at the two threads, one was condemned for being digital, while another is already being hyped up purely based on price and the fact it is analog, without any concern over sound or interface.

We did this with the volca beats, and unfortunately from the demos I heard it, wasn't up to much.

For the record, I don't think I will be interested in either of them, but if Akai do nail a great sound, I certainly might use it in some shape or form.
I really have no interest in a 606, 707 or 808 in original or clone form, so cant see myself looking at the Roland offering.

Was just trying to bring some perspective, from the usual, if you think anything by Roland is good you must work for them, if you find anything bad by anyone else you are a troll!
Well put.

Would like to get your opinion on what you thought of the demo.
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Nut

wonder what, if anything, they've tweaked anything since the first audible demo? it definitely seems to sound a lot better. i wish the "howl" function applied a broader spectrum of variance to that bass though. i was hoping to hear it scream a little more.
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

actually sounds very decent in the new vid. snare is still meh, but the rest sounds nice!
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Piqued again
That hi-hat/perc part at 1:30 or so: Does that mean you can apply triplets to a single part?
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear
It honestly doesn't sound too different from the other video to me. Haven't listened to them back to back of course... All of which is to say it sounds okay. Still not big on the snare but some of the other sounds could be cool. Would still like to hear it being put through it's paces with more use of whatever parameters are on there.
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by booksy View Post
It honestly doesn't sound too different from the other video to me. Haven't listened to them back to back of
i just listened to them back to back. the patterns in the second demo are a tad more interesting whereas the first was total blah. i'm sure this helped the new demo instantly sound a little better. it may be the recording quality too. i think the new video sounds a lot clearer. able to really hear more of what it's capable of. not in love by any stretch just yet, but definitely digging it.
Old 5th September 2014
Quote:
Piqued again
Looks better built than a Volca.

I'm in for buying it. The sound of the demo seems the same.

I think either the problem is the levels, the lack of editing, or the simple thing of leading in the demo with a simple bass line. I think they need to just slam into the demo full swing.

I wish Akai would have make the drum parts a different color LED for each. That was something I wish Korg would have done on the Volca Beats . When it is playing it all blurs together because it's the same color.
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

In case you wanted a demo of how it sounds with your $30,000 modular.

Old 5th September 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Well put.

Would like to get your opinion on what you thought of the demo.
I have to say, after hearing the first demo that was released some time ago, I had very low expectations of this.
Having listened to the 'Akai Pro Rhythm Wolf (Demo)' that was posted earlier, I have a much higher impression of it.
Thought the kick sounded fine, I have heard the hi-hats on another demo and liked what I heard, not sold on that snare, but with tweaking might sound much better (not talking off board effects here).
To be honest, at the price point that is being spoken about, there's not an awful lot to hate. For someone that is looking just for an analog drum machine, and has a bigger budget, there will be better options out there, but this is infinitely better than the Volca Beats (to my ears anyway), and looks like a good piece of equipment (is it fully portable, haven't really kept up with it to be honest) to play around with ideas on.
Pleasantly surprised!
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Addict

Where is a wolf sound, in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
In case you wanted a demo of how it sounds with your $30,000 modular.

Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.G View Post
Where is a wolf sound, in there?
lol

I was gonna post the video and ask the same thing.

Everything is drowning in effects that it's hard to tell what is what
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

Another video:

Akai Professional Rhythm Wolf - A Richard Devine Interview - YouTube

tried to embed it but it gives an error so click the link.

chrissugar
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
Another video:

chrissugar
Fixed...
Old 6th September 2014
Gear Guru

still haven't heard the kick drum really thump like a volca beats can...???
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

What, demos but no wolf pics?

Not the most amazing sounding thing on the planet, but I'll get one...
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

It reminds me more of a coyote actually.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Old 6th September 2014
Gear Guru

I quite like the sound of the bass synth actually, yeah...what's the bet they release this thing and it's the monsynth that is what everyone likes about it..

I can see people collecting all these desktop boxes and making pseudo modular's with them all connected together, it actually sounds like a huge amount of fun...

A machinedrum driving..>
Rhythm Wolfe..driving..>
Electribe..driving..>
Electribe sampler..driving..>
4 volcas...>
each unit put through it's own Kaoss pad, each output into it's own channel in a mixer, add more effects, apply gentle balancing compression, into a quarter inch tape head, then off into DAW...how could that not be fun..??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search