The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topic View Post
Thanks yeah, I think I'll just wait for more info like you said. I just hope I won't be kicking myself over the fact that I got a beats instead.
Wait for demos of the Wolf, I'd say, then consider selling the Beats? The Volca series still aren't easy to come across in some parts of the world, you might lose very little selling your Beats.

Edit: Though if you're handy with a soldering iron, the snare fix posted here on GS makes the Beats a heck of a lot more attractive.
Old 10th March 2014
So, when are they shipping? :D
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
d16 drumazon is digital and sounds good. How many do you think can pick the Aria in a blind x0x A/B?
nobody
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
Wait for demos of the Wolf, I'd say, then consider selling the Beats? The Volca series still aren't easy to come across in some parts of the world, you might lose very little selling your Beats.

Edit: Though if you're handy with a soldering iron, the snare fix posted here on GS makes the Beats a heck of a lot more attractive.
Thanks, I might give that mod a try To be honest though, the beats is a neat little machine and I really like mine, just a decision of where my pennies will go next.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

This looks to be ideal! How could it be bad? If you don't like it, mod it, I hope the components are not too tiny for hacking. Individual outs should be very easy. Good on AKAI/Numark for seeing what people want. I like the early 80s look too. The contrast with Aira philosophy is stark. SWING! Linn heritage for £160! OMG.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar View Post
Are you failing to be a funny troll or do you really derive all meaning in your life by being a contrarian?

Either way, you're incredibly depressing.

God bless.
And yet the Roland thread was troll free......

I am guessing his point is, that when you look at the two threads, one was condemned for being digital, while another is already being hyped up purely based on price and the fact it is analog, without any concern over sound or interface.

We did this with the volca beats, and unfortunately from the demos I heard it, wasn't up to much.

For the record, I don't think I will be interested in either of them, but if Akai do nail a great sound, I certainly might use it in some shape or form.
I really have no interest in a 606, 707 or 808 in original or clone form, so cant see myself looking at the Roland offering.

Was just trying to bring some perspective, from the usual, if you think anything by Roland is good you must work for them, if you find anything bad by anyone else you are a troll!
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
If the Alesis guys at Numark are as cunning as the Akai guys, they'll release a 4-6 voice analog polysynth using some leftover Andromeda R&D for ~$1,000.
Now THIS would be wonderful.

So we have this new instrument from Akai, Korg's MS20 and Odyssey reissue, Elektron's recent kits, a few others I'm forgetting...is proper analog making a comeback?
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
So, when are they shipping? :D
"The Rhythm Wolf is due to arrive summer 2014."
But you should keep an eye on their website:
https://www.akaipro.com/
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Why?

What is so special about the XBase09 that can't be done in larger numbers, by a non-boutique/non-one-man-company like Akai, at this price.

The XBase09 is just cloned 909 circuits anyway.
Well why don't we have $200 minimoogs then? $300 ARP 2600s? Why does the Volca Beat's snare drum sound like crap? Why does my Moog Sub Phatty sound better than my MoPho?

I don't know much about electronic synth manufacture, but I do imagine that if China felt it could do a good clone an 808 and sell it for peanuts and make some money they'd have done it by now.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong... but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

what really hasn't been discussed is how the Bass sound will be voiced.. the copy may allude to the fact it might be the analog 303 sound everybody's been crying for.... Paired with my Octatrack midi sequencer this could be really cool. We'll see.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass View Post
This looks to be ideal! How could it be bad? If you don't like it, mod it, I hope the components are not too tiny for hacking. Individual outs should be very easy. Good on AKAI/Numark for seeing what people want. I like the early 80s look too. The contrast with Aira philosophy is stark. SWING! Linn heritage for £160! OMG.
Linn heritage how? Not being a jerk...just asking seriously. Linn was notoriously sample based and AIRA has swing....so....???
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass View Post
This looks to be ideal! How could it be bad? If you don't like it, mod it...
wtf?

Quote:
The contrast with Aira philosophy is stark. SWING! Linn heritage for £160! OMG.
OMG is right. this thing has absolutely NOTHING to do with Roger Linn, or even much of anything to do with Akai heritage.

this place is out of hand, it's like some twisted cult.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjed View Post
And yet the Roland thread was troll free......

I am guessing his point is, that when you look at the two threads, one was condemned for being digital, while another is already being hyped up purely based on price and the fact it is analog, without any concern over sound or interface.

We did this with the volca beats, and unfortunately from the demos I heard it, wasn't up to much.

For the record, I don't think I will be interested in either of them, but if Akai do nail a great sound, I certainly might use it in some shape or form.
I really have no interest in a 606, 707 or 808 in original or clone form, so cant see myself looking at the Roland offering.

Was just trying to bring some perspective, from the usual, if you think anything by Roland is good you must work for them, if you find anything bad by anyone else you are a troll!
+1 - exactly right on. Hypocrisy is insidious.
Old 10th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I don't know much about electronic synth manufacture, but I do imagine that if China felt it could do a good clone an 808 and sell it for peanuts and make some money they'd have done it by now.
No need to go to China, MFB sell an 808 like analog drum machine for less than $400 and they're a small German company.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

This threads participants and the participants on all the other announcement and speculation threads remind me of a great song...

Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Its only $199!!??

Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Oh! so you have heard the Rhythm Wolf then i take it ? I wasn't talking about the sound of the Xbase 09, i was talking about the front panel and casing.
OK, I don't see it that much but maybe. In the sense that it's a drum machine with pads... anyway, I've not heard the Rhythm Wolf yet, of course, but I think it's fair to speculate that if a great sounding analog drum machine could be made for $200 Korg would have done it with the Beats, no? I mean, do you think someone at Korg was saying, "You know, if we go $50 more no one will buy it no matter what it sounds like."

They were going for sub $200 and they happened upon a design that let them manufacture it and sell it at a profit for $149. I'd be a little amazed if the Volca team at Korg was like, "Yeah, that snare sounds fine." It was more likely that corners had to be cut and they decided that was one. Now, I think it was stupid of them. I think if they'd charged more and had a nice sound out of each voice we'd have stood in line for them... but if you did a side by side with something made by VoMox or Vermona my guess is the Korg would still pale in comparison.

Now, don't get me wrong. I actually happen to kind of like trashy sounding analogs. Synth snobs will point at the DSI MoPho all day and throw rocks at it's weaknesses, but I just view them as character. Now, the RW might be one of those machines. I sure hope so... but I don't think it'll be on par with more expensive analog drum synths in terms of quality sound. Hell, I'd be surprised if it sounded as good as the TR-8.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

I can't recall Akai releasing anything that sounds bad. Also they're sequencer masters. There are many reasons to be optimistic there.
Old 10th March 2014
so now it's comming down to 522 vs the wolf

will have to wait for some demos.
not to mention arturia's play...
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
No need to go to China, MFB sell an 808 like analog drum machine for less than $400 and they're a small German company.
Right, and while I kind of dug the noisy lo-fi sound of the MFB-522, it's not an 808 clone, that's for sure. I don't think the quality is close. I thought about one but even at the low price they want for a 522 I just didn't think it was worth it to me... however, if Akai can make the RW for $200 and have it in the ballpark of the 522's sound, I'll take one for sure. I'm just not expecting it to sound as good as something like the Vermona DRM1 Mk3, which is one of the drum synths I really dig the sound of.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjed View Post
TRUTH. The hype was out of control. I was guilty myself.

None of the Volcas impressed me. I briefly owned the Keys and sold it within a week. I picked up the Beats on a whim the other week and returned it two days later.

The interface alone on the RW looks a lot better to me though. Real buttons and full size knobs can go a long way. Whatever. Keep that speculation rollin in until we hear some demos.
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
Right, and while I kind of dug the noisy lo-fi sound of the MFB-522, it's not an 808 clone, that's for sure. I don't think the quality is close. I thought about one but even at the low price they want for a 522 I just didn't think it was worth it to me... however, if Akai can make the RW for $200 and have it in the ballpark of the 522's sound, I'll take one for sure. I'm just not expecting it to sound as good as something like the Vermona DRM1 Mk3, which is one of the drum synths I really dig the sound of.
I'm predicting it will sound better than the Volca but not as good as the TR-8. Probably in the ballpark of the 522.

Either way, I'm not that concerned. Whichever I eventually choose will likely be trashed and/or enhanced with a Sherman FB2 and some wacky digital effects.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

the only drum machine suitable for this cover

btw, am I the only one air drumming at 2:40?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't count on that kind of sound quality. Not for $200.
+1 nor the build quality, to be sure. by a stretch.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX View Post
I can't recall Akai releasing anything that sounds bad. Also they're sequencer masters. There are many reasons to be optimistic there.
Except there was the little thing called the mpc500.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Akai?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Inspiration.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

I am predicting me cancelling my Elektron Octatrack order and buying an MPX16. I don't need the OT sequencer and I don't like the laundry list of problems that I see in the Elektronauts forum, combined with the fact that I have no clue as to when they will ship the actual product.... well at this point I am going to rescind my $1500 loan to Elektron. Oh well $1200 in my pocket is good for me.
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
I'm just not expecting it to sound as good as something like the Vermona DRM1 Mk3, which is one of the drum synths I really dig the sound of.
DRM1 is an amazing drum module...
But it does not cost 200$. When you buy something that cheap you can hardly regret it unless it sounds like a Casio VL-1 drums but even then you can mod it and squeeze some more out of it))))
I don't know why but i also suspect that it is going to have fake wooden sides...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search