The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
For an extra 40-50 dollars you might as well save a few days longer and buy new rather than get that someone has already taken out their frustrations on. Even at full price it's pretty good value as a sequencer/trigger controller.

Incidentally, I am not so sure that the demo we've heard is necessarily the final sound, looking at the description that was recorded a few months ago. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.
I'm fairly certain the actual sound will be better than what was in that video. Also, this thing is cheaper than many midi controllers while still giving us a drum machine and a bass synth, plus an actual sequencer, with gate trigger in and out and MIDI usb/in/out! Have some perspective people. Yeesh.
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
I'm fairly certain the actual sound will be better than what was in that video. Also, this thing is cheaper than many midi controllers while still giving us a drum machine and a bass synth, plus an actual sequencer, with gate trigger in and out and MIDI usb/in/out! Have some perspective people. Yeesh.
Great points

Just realize people are slow to realize all this because of the super long delay and no audio demo for the longest time then releasing the worst video demo in history by an offical company.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Great points

Just realize people are slow to realize all this because of the super long delay and no audio demo for the longest time then releasing the worst video demo in history by an offical company.
You could easily be referring to Elektron with that statement.
Old 5th August 2014
If this thing can be used to step sequence external gear over multiple MIDI channels (ie drums) then I'll give it a closer look. I hope we hear more audio demos though, and soon.
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Guru

I nearly bought this thing the other day, I spent all day listening to sound examples on line and decided it was going to need a proper restoration to be worth buying it, let me tell you it sounded a lot like the wolf incredibly...

Ultimate Percussion K2 X Analog Synthesizer System Rare Drum Machine | eBay

nice machine that would of been hard to source electronics for, had a thumping kick on it though..
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Incidentally, I am not so sure that the demo we've heard is necessarily the final sound, looking at the description that was recorded a few months ago. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.
I actually made a post over at the vintage synth site a week ago regarding the same thing. Someone was actually trying to complain saying it had "same awful resonance as the 303," while another said it didn't sound "complex" enough.

This was my take on it...

Actually, it doesn't sound like he even used much of the filter resonance in the video. I kept thinking he would quickly crank it to max to demonstrate how high it could go, but he never did. Nor does he juggle between the two oscillator choices. Then there's the "Howl" knob, haha. Akai's website says the following about it: "Howl" knob with custom distortion signal path lets you crush and mangle sounds. Not much of that going on either, so we're probably only hearing a small fraction of what this thing is actually capable of. Just gotta wait till the next full moon rises...

I'm still looking forward to it myself, mainly because the drums don't seem to sound anything like real drums and will add a weirder pallet of sounds, haha.
Old 6th August 2014
was drinking moonshine yesterday
so during the conversation my friend goes - "your Vermona ER-9 is a CAGE!"

I think RW can break me out of it... Wolf definitely has a lot of potential for the money.
i'd also would love to customise one when i get it...
a different colour scheme and some real wood...

P.S.
Awoooooooo!
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

lol...
Attached Thumbnails
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth-image_5957.jpg  
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Would it be out of line to say I had a dream of a delightful witch that looked like the Norm McDonald show, and that she had a Rhythm Wolf but with all these modifications made to it and it sounded really amazing and unique but kind of wacky, playing this weird version of "don't dream it's over" by crowded house, but you couldn't really control it, and instead of tune or decay or whatever, all the labels read "Haggar slacks"? And that I was so deeply moved by the whole ridiculous episode, that I woke up with an almost religious urge to make a concept album about the life of Chef Boyardee?

Old 7th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TremblingLarry View Post
Would it be out of line to say I had a dream of a delightful witch that looked like Norm McDonald
Yes.

Quote:
Would it be out of line to say I had a dream of a delightful witch that looked like the Norm McDonald show, and that she had a Rhythm Wolf but with all these modifications made to it and it sounded really amazing and unique but kind of wacky, playing this weird version of "don't dream it's over" by crowded house, but you couldn't really control it, and instead of tune or decay or whatever, all the labels read "Haggar slacks"? And that I was so deeply moved by the whole ridiculous episode, that I woke up with an almost religious urge to make a concept album about the life of Chef Boyardee?

No, it would not be out of line to say that. It would be (was) glorious. I have no idea what you were drinking before you had that dream, but I want some.
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascillate View Post
. I have no idea what you were drinking before you had that dream
I think I ate meat loaf and fell asleep watching the money pit.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
actually that would make a good trivial question, what piece of electronic gear has sold the most pieces since say the 60's...?

anyone want to guess, I have no clue...would it be a keyboard I wonder..?
People rarely release solid numbers to the public, but I'd guess the DX7 or Microkorg, unless you count the crappy toyish Yamaha drum pads.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
actually that would make a good trivial question, what piece of electronic gear has sold the most pieces since say the 60's...?

anyone want to guess, I have no clue...would it be a keyboard I wonder..?
People rarely release solid numbers to the public, but I'd guess the DX7 or Microkorg unless you count the ubiquitous toy Yamaha drum pads.
Old 9th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
People rarely release solid numbers to the public, but I'd guess the DX7 or Microkorg unless you count the ubiquitous toy Yamaha drum pads.
Who gives a ****? I mean what is anybody gonna do with that information? Can anybody conceive of anybody doing anything interesting with this dull data? Is anybody going to amaze anybody, with this market speak? Very sad, this tit for tat ****. Fancy garbage. I don't mean to be a creep but it's offensive. This hijacking of a spiritual debate into dead statistic. This **** ain't us. We are the mutants. You are muddying the issue with a phony sophistication. Trying to be people we are not. We are essential maniacs. This flirtation with dull logic does not become us. In the strange world of synthesis you are dada. You are logic in the opposite direction of it. This poor sympathy for market realties does not become you.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who gives a ****? I mean what is anybody gonna do with that information? Can anybody conceive of anybody doing anything interesting with this dull data? Is anybody going to amaze anybody, with this market speak? Very sad, this tit for tat ****. Fancy garbage. I don't mean to be a creep but it's offensive. This hijacking of a spiritual debate into dead statistic. This **** ain't us. We are the mutants. You are muddying the issue with a phony sophistication. Trying to be people we are not. We are essential maniacs. This flirtation with dull logic does not become us. In the strange world of synthesis you are dada. You are logic in the opposite direction of it. This poor sympathy for market realties does not become you.

Well the mini essay you just wrote shows that you give the biggest **** of all.
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol...
Yes, I'm sure they missed the boat, because Akai has only made one working model so far. You can expect them in September, or whenever you want, but they aren't coming any time soon.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
What on earth.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
this
Old 10th August 2014
Quote:
I'm just quoting this because so many have already.
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Larry is the official GS poet. Check out his stanza in the Korg Arp Odyssey update thread, it is beautiful.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascillate View Post
Larry is the official GS poet. Check out his stanza in the Korg Arp Odyssey update thread, it is beautiful.
Is this all an elaborate cry for help?
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Is this all an elaborate cry for help?
No one will ever know
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
this
Or this.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear
Try saying 'Rhythm Wolf' in various actor/movie trailer-type voices. Its really quite an inspiring way to start the day. Liam Neeson voice is particularly effective.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef View Post
Try saying 'Rhythm Wolf' in various actor/movie trailer-type voices. Its really quite an inspiring way to start the day. Liam Neeson voice is particularly effective.
Well I tried and now I have the hiccups..

''In a world where competition rules the day, where the ways of times yonder are forgotten , there's ONE king, ONE box, ONE mission, ONE predator to rule them all. Rhythm Wolf..''

wel something like that.. I'm sure it can be improved
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef View Post
morgan freeman voice has made me a believer in this machine
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Or this.
Or why not this.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm buying one in December. It'll be going straight into one of these, I'm literally not even gonna bother trying it dry first, first stop will be a high hat sequence with Crazy FM knob twiddling:

Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
morgan freeman voice has made me a believer in this maschine
I enjoy saying it similar to how Sean Connery says "Blofeld" while sipping on a vodka martini.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search