The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
i feel sorry for the akai guy.
maybe change the snare and it will not be as bad after all?
I dunno, I felt bad for him at first but now after that demo... not so much.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLAvenir View Post
After all of the waiting and banter
lol comments disabled for the video.
Old 31st July 2014
First impression, nice hats. Not so sure about everything else. The video went on so long that I sort of spaced out, then at 7:12 I woke up, it's not a sound I'd use all the time, but I think the distortion sounds got pretty cool at that point.

But it looks like a nice fun but very limited box.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear
Funny, I think I like the snare .
It sounds like a drum machine that would sound great distorted.. Like a 606 can do.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear
this thread is kinda interesting though.

at first people rave about it being analogue and how sweet it must sound because of that, analogue sound @ cheap ftw, akai thank you pre-ordered at once.

now that it is clear it basically sounds like $#%#@$ even though it is analogue, people are like well it might not sound good but it will be fun to mess with @ cheap, maybe it will sound good once mangled.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Analog drum machine + analog bass = 200 dollars. What did people expect? For 200 I think it's rather impressive what is there.

Otoh., I was disappointed when it was initially announced that it was only 200, because that immediately told me what level AKAI were aiming for. Indeed, this seemed to please several posters at the time, who perhaps mistakenly thought that AKAI were going to deliver a Tempest/Rytm-killer for 200 bucks..

But knowing that it's 200, people should get over any hopes that it'll compete with the 'big' machines and take it for what it is, namely a rather sonically simple creative tool with a fair amount of creative and sonic potential.

Honestly, I'm sure the bass synth will find its uses too, it may sound cool in the right tracks in a lo-fi way, and maybe it'll sound great layered with the perfect sonics of 'better' synths.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

YES ... I was excited initially ... (not doing back flips but maybe a little in my head for here was a piece of gear that — forgive me — might have a little voltage soul compared to machines that use samples or other digital recreations ... And for less! What else did we have to go on? Outwardly, I try to be more of an optimist to counteract my native internal pessimistic qualities ... And there aren't a lot of entries in the analog drum machine category these days ... )

YES ... I joined the wolf pack assaulting this thread with pix when Akai just up and rode out of town with nary a demo or even a word as to what really happened after the first non-sounding "demo" ...

YES ... Now that a demo is finally available, I'll concede I'm a bit underwhelmed by what I heard ... (Everyone wanted big kicks ... But maybe the "killer feature" will be nice "alive" high-hats although is that enough?)

BUT ... As a secondary device — with physical controls — to layer with another sound source it still could have a lot of value ... (In my case, I believe it would be more direct an experience than Maschine, which obviously does a lot more) ... I could see myself using this to tap out some basic rhythms ... (It still has more appeal to me — at this point — than a Volca Beats) ...

Maybe there really aren't that many ways to shape the sound in the box itself, but I think there's more to this Wolf than we've heard here ...

BASICALLY ... I think it's really tough to make a call without seeing, hearing, smelling and tasting in person ...

Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
this thread is kinda interesting though.

at first people rave about it being analogue and how sweet it must sound because of that, analogue sound @ cheap ftw, akai thank you pre-ordered at once.

now that it is clear it basically sounds like $#%#@$ even though it is analogue, people are like well it might not sound good but it will be fun to mess with @ cheap, maybe it will sound good once mangled.
very interesting as this type of thing never happens on GS. good observation
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

"Take the beat off the leash"
"Sexy simulated woodgrain endcaps"

Product page is up, pretty pictures but nothing that wasn't known already.

If you compare the Wolf with the earlier prototype shown at the start of the year you'll notice a few changes. Nothing major, mostly things that have been rearranged.

Thought, I think a knob was added to the rear panel. No clue what it does, probably tune something.

Waiting for the manual to be available.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

I don't know if those pictures are playing tricks on me, but I think it looks better than it used to...?
Old 2nd August 2014
So why does he go on about making beats in his mums bedroom? lol
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Just saw that it has a trigger in.

That might seal the deal for me. Really looking to hear more comprehensive demos of this.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Thought, I think a knob was added to the rear panel. No clue what it does, probably tune something.
Most likely the master volume. I've used a XR20 and the master volume knob is on the back.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
Most likely the master volume. I've used a XR20 and the master volume knob is on the back.
There's a 'Main Volume' knob on the front, just above the 'Howl' knob, so doubt it.

Does not seem like a performance-friendly spot either: wasn't a problem with the XR20?
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

"Rhythm Wolf mates with your collection of synths..."

no. just no.
Old 2nd August 2014
Old 2nd August 2014
Gear Guru

synth out & main out..???

so you can process the synth separately from the drums which is all on one mono output..??

how do the outputs work..?
Old 2nd August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
synth out & main out..???

so you can process the synth separately from the drums which is all on one mono output..??

how do the outputs work..?
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdpath View Post
"Rhythm Wolf mates with your collection of synths..."

no. just no.
But imagine being the proud parent of a Wolfdorf.
Old 2nd August 2014
Gear Maniac
Secondhand wolfs will be what, 140-160 dollars? Seems like a better deal then. Then it could at least be a sequencer, which I think it shows promise being, versus the next 909.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear
That product page is need of some, uh, editing. So the gate out is cool, can it send midi out from the sequencer?
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by booksy View Post
That product page is need of some, uh, editing. So the gate out is cool, can it send midi out from the sequencer?
What's the timecode, Mr Rhythm Wolf?
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Guru

They are going to sell millions of these things imo...

actually that would make a good trivial question, what piece of electronic gear has sold the most pieces since say the 60's...?

anyone want to guess, I have no clue...would it be a keyboard I wonder..?
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
They are going to sell millions of these things imo...

actually that would make a good trivial question, what piece of electronic gear has sold the most pieces since say the 60's...?

anyone want to guess, I have no clue...would it be a keyboard I wonder..?
I think the MicroKorg is right up there. It's been in production for over 10 years, which is very rare.
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Guru

true, every studio seems to have a microkorg in them, and I see them on loads of music videos too...they sound pretty good for what they are, another winner for Korg..!!
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I like "Sexy simulated woodgrain endcaps" don't know what that means though
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post
I like "Sexy simulated woodgrain endcaps" don't know what that means though
That would be "plastic".
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
That would be "plastic".
So i could say that my Dell Notebook has a sexy simulated Mac Aluminium Unibody? Wow, Marketing, me likes
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

for 200 hundred I think it's mazing, the interface is quite superior the the volca beats and you get a bass synth!

XD
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboLoves View Post
Secondhand wolfs will be what, 140-160 dollars? Seems like a better deal then. Then it could at least be a sequencer, which I think it shows promise being, versus the next 909.
For an extra 40-50 dollars you might as well save a few days longer and buy new rather than get that someone has already taken out their frustrations on. Even at full price it's pretty good value as a sequencer/trigger controller.

Incidentally, I am not so sure that the demo we've heard is necessarily the final sound, looking at the description that was recorded a few months ago. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search