The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 26th July 2014
  #1921
wanna see this going for $2500 in thirty years from now :p
Old 26th July 2014
  #1922
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
The question is: would you sell your Volca Beats to get the Wolf?

I personally have not heard enough of the RW to make that call. In fact I haven't heard enough of it to really judge it at all. Maybe by Christmas we'll hear some more.
People making all of these passionate judgments over one mediocre recording is kind of funny, truly.
Old 26th July 2014
  #1923
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
People making all of these passionate judgments over one mediocre recording is kind of funny, truly.
And many of these same people refused to judge the Sub37, Elektron AR, Pro2, and other high end gear as harshly, and as quickly, though they all started out with crap videos that didn't really convey the sound.

I suspect they are subconsciously judging so because the price is so low and the company is not a GS darling these days.

Wait and see people. It ain't that hard.
Old 26th July 2014
  #1924
Here for the gear
 

Maybe its actually amazing but Akai was scared that it would be another Minibrute or Volca and wallow in backorder. So they hired an antimarketing team to put out antihype demos while secretly filling warehouses and slowly taking a few comfy preorders.

Imo that demo is more the sound of unskilled hands than the machine itself. Im still getting one, if its really terrible then i can proudly complain as an actual owner.
Old 26th July 2014
  #1925
Lives for gear
 

So far, the thread's been more entertaining than the box . . .

Then again, what can we expect? This is what cheap analog drum machines sounded like the first time around, too.
Old 26th July 2014
  #1926
Lives for gear
 
anigbrowl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
I love analog gear as much as anybody, but spending $400 for two of these? That's just borderline re-tar-ded.
Not liking it is one thing, insulting people with different ideas on how they might use something is another.
Old 26th July 2014
  #1927
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
And many of these same people refused to judge the Sub37, Elektron AR, Pro2, and other high end gear as harshly, and as quickly, though they all started out with crap videos that didn't really convey the sound.

I suspect they are subconsciously judging so because the price is so low and the company is not a GS darling these days.

Wait and see people. It ain't that hard.
+1
Old 26th July 2014
  #1928
Lives for gear
 
WozNYC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Not liking it is one thing, insulting people with different ideas on how they might use something is another.
You're right. I went overboard. I had a horrible headache yesterday and was more than a little irritable. Apologies to everybody involved.
Old 26th July 2014
  #1929
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Seems like this is the opposite approach to the TR-8. With the TR-8 everything sounds a little preprocessed and perfect, where the Wolf looks to be pretty raw and rough sounding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
..
Then again, what can we expect? This is what cheap analog drum machines sounded like the first time around, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post
.. A modern 'vintage' drum machine - the sounds weren't super crisp, but had a pleasant, medium-fidelity analog tone...
This is exactly how I see it. It sounds more or less as expected, though perhaps even more lo-fi, also the bass. In a machine like this, I consider that a clear plus, because the machine is never going to fulfill the role of bread'n'butter machine anyway (unless you're a conceptually lo-fi band). I like it.

I'm sure those raw sounds can be shaped to taste - but in the raw they may sound a bit like grandma's home organ. Someone who only used processed sounds (samples/romplers) wouldn't know what the hell to do with sounds like these.

Finally, the box is considerably bigger than the Korgs. This may allow more elegant mods that are housed inside the box itself. I imagine it'll be used for much experimentation. Who knows, maybe someone will even offer a clap circuit to put in place of the percussion?
Old 26th July 2014
  #1930
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post

Finally, the box is considerable bigger than the Korgs. This may allow more elegant mods that are housed inside the box itself. I imagine it'll be used for much experimentation. Who knows, maybe someone will even offer a clap circuit to put in place of the percussion?
That's one of the main things I liked about the Wolf.

If Korg re-made the Volca beats, about about 40% larger with touch pads rather than touch strip, the snare mod and more song pattern options, it would be far more appealing and perhaps taken more seriously.
Old 26th July 2014
  #1931
Lives for gear
 
steveswisher's Avatar
 

Regardless of the sound, I'm glad that Akai is thinking in this direction. It looks like a lot of fun. It may never make it on to a recording but it's worth the $200 just to play around IMO.
Old 26th July 2014
  #1932
Gear Addict
 

Not crazy about the sound but I think its definitely something I can tweak in a DAW to fit my needs. The real seller for me is the sequencer layout, very simple and quick, it'll be nice to get away from the mouse/screen for once. If Akai had outfitted this with an SD card slot and the ability to load a sample and manipulate it for each drum it would be a game changer.
Old 26th July 2014
  #1933
227861
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by deplopcinema View Post
If Akai had outfitted this with an SD card slot and the ability to load a sample and manipulate it for each drum it would be a game changer.
If some people are complaining about the sound adding these features would definitely sell it. No doubt at all. It would but this machine above the others.
Old 26th July 2014
  #1934
Lives for gear
 
anigbrowl's Avatar
 

Given that they have those SD-card based sample players (MPD-8/16 I think), if the RW doesn't sell well then I think it's almost inevitable they'll rework the sequencer/user interface.
Old 26th July 2014
  #1935
227861
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
So far, the thread's been more entertaining than the box . . .

Then again, what can we expect? This is what cheap analog drum machines sounded like the first time around, too.
Ever own a Boss DR-55 analog drum machine?? I wonder how they felt back in the day when that was released.
Old 30th July 2014
  #1936
Here for the gear
 

TL;DR:

1) New analog!
2) Looks cool
3) Where's demo?
4) Wolf pics
5) Vaporware anger
6) Vid posted
7) Opinions vary
Old 30th July 2014
  #1937
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Ever own a Boss DR-55 analog drum machine?? I wonder how they felt back in the day when that was released.
I've got a DR110 actually . . . I still remember being a drummer years ago, and hearing a bass player friend get a groove out of their 110 that I couldn't play as well as that box could.

Actually, the cheap Boss stuff was a big deal because until then we had no programmable drum machines at all. The fancy pro machines were financially unattainable.

We rode on horses, and slew the lion and the bear.
Old 30th July 2014
  #1938
Lives for gear
 

But back to the Rhythm Wolf. If it's the first move in a larger chess game for Akai, this could get interesting. Hopefully they'll stay in the analog drum game now that they've gotten started.
Old 30th July 2014
  #1939
Lives for gear
 
Seccione's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
Hopefully they'll stay in the analog drum game now that they've gotten started.
It depends on how many Rhythm Wolves you buy.

And me.

Let's have many.
Old 30th July 2014
  #1940
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
It depends on how many Rhythm Wolves you buy.
Hopefully they'll sell them in a pack.
Old 30th July 2014
  #1941
Gear Addict
 

The first person to receive it must post a Rhythm Wolf Haul Video on Youtube.

Preferably with sound. From line out.
Old 30th July 2014
  #1942
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
lol my local retailer has changed the price to TBA and now it's shipping date is just "coming soon'..!!! whats the bet it isn't $200 anymore..?

I'm about to buy a drum machine, got my back pay and bonuses today in my paycheck, nice grand just ready to hand over for a drum machine and mini mac, pity this thing wasn't available to at least be in the running...machine drum looks the winner.
Old 30th July 2014
  #1943
Lives for gear
 
Diametro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
lol my local retailer has changed the price to TBA and now it's shipping date is just "coming soon'..!!! whats the bet it isn't $200 anymore..?

I'm about to buy a drum machine, got my back pay and bonuses today in my paycheck, nice grand just ready to hand over for a drum machine and mini mac, pity this thing wasn't available to at least be in the running...machine drum looks the winner.
With that mac mini ... Keep in mind the current model hasn't been changed since 2012 (still has a firewire 800 port if that's a bonus for you) ... You might want to buy one used since there will be more than a few out there ...

I haven't heard a peep about when a new one is coming ... I think part of the reason it hasn't been updated is because it's not a mobile device (that needs the newer, lower-power Intel CPUs which aren't terribly faster) ... And Apple is always a little unsure of how to position the Mac Mini and what features to offer to (want a good gaming GPU in your mac mini? No. Not anymore.)

In terms of i/o ... I think the major thing you give up is Thunderbolt ports ... (But the next one may not have user replaceable RAM ... )

One thing to keep in mind is that it can only use two screens ... (a limitation of the so-so GPU, which obviously isn't a real concern with music production unless of course you want three screens ... Sometimes I like two in front and one on the side if I'm using keyboards to practice a song and want to watch videos ... Or refer to something on the screen without turning my head ... ) That said, I just discovered a $10 app — Air Display — that turns your ipad into a second — or third or fourth or fifth — screen for your mac ... Haven't downloaded yet but will soon ...

BTW ... Go for the SSD ... It really makes a difference ... (The good thing about 2012 mac mini is you can swap out stock HD for SSD ...I bought mine used and the guy who sold it to me user-installed a SSD and saved himself money (ask about components because you should pay less if he did) ... But if you buy one used with user RAM, make sure it's actually good ... I got one with a bad 8gig stick that I didn't realize was causing problems until I tried to play a game and it kept crashing ever other minute ... ) Good luck ... Otherwise, I love the Mac Mini ... (BTW ... everything is running fine with 8gb of RAM) ...

oh ... and ...

Old 30th July 2014
  #1944
Gear Addict
 
mrsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
With that mac mini ... Keep in mind the current model hasn't been changed since 2012 (still has a firewire 800 port if that's a bonus for you) ... You might want to buy one used since there will be more than a few out there ...

I haven't heard a peep about when a new one is coming ... I think part of the reason it hasn't been updated is because it's not a mobile device (that needs the newer, lower-power Intel CPUs which aren't terribly faster) ... And Apple is always a little unsure of how to position the Mac Mini and what features to offer to (want a good gaming GPU in your mac mini? No. Not anymore.)

In terms of i/o ... I think the major thing you give up is Thunderbolt ports ... (But the next one may not have user replaceable RAM ... )

One thing to keep in mind is that it can only use two screens ... (a limitation of the so-so GPU, which obviously isn't a real concern with music production unless of course you want three screens ... Sometimes I like two in front and one on the side if I'm using keyboards to practice a song and want to watch videos ... Or refer to something on the screen without turning my head ... ) That said, I just discovered a $10 app — Air Display — that turns your ipad into a second — or third or fourth or fifth — screen for your mac ... Haven't downloaded yet but will soon ...

BTW ... Go for the SSD ... It really makes a difference ... (The good thing about 2012 mac mini is you can swap out stock HD for SSD ...I bought mine used and the guy who sold it to me user-installed a SSD and saved himself money (ask about components because you should pay less if he did) ... But if you buy one used with user RAM, make sure it's actually good ... I got one with a bad 8gig stick that I didn't realize was causing problems until I tried to play a game and it kept crashing ever other minute ... ) Good luck ... Otherwise, I love the Mac Mini ... (BTW ... everything is running fine with 8gb of RAM) ...

oh ... and ...

I've read today on technews page that apple added a mac mini mid 2014 to a list.
Old 30th July 2014
  #1945
Lives for gear
i feel sorry for the akai guy.
maybe change the snare and it will not be as bad after all?
Old 30th July 2014
  #1946
Deleted User
Guest
I have the best drums i will ever need, but this akai looks very fun to jam with

Willing to bet it can sound a lot better. Otherwise it will be easy to find cheap second-hand indeed

But aweful video, i cant watch it again
Old 30th July 2014
  #1947
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
With that mac mini ... Keep in mind the current model hasn't been changed since 2012 (still has a firewire 800 port if that's a bonus for you) ... You might want to buy one used since there will be more than a few out there ...

I haven't heard a peep about when a new one is coming ... I think part of the reason it hasn't been updated is because it's not a mobile device (that needs the newer, lower-power Intel CPUs which aren't terribly faster) ... And Apple is always a little unsure of how to position the Mac Mini and what features to offer to (want a good gaming GPU in your mac mini? No. Not anymore.)

In terms of i/o ... I think the major thing you give up is Thunderbolt ports ... (But the next one may not have user replaceable RAM ... )

One thing to keep in mind is that it can only use two screens ... (a limitation of the so-so GPU, which obviously isn't a real concern with music production unless of course you want three screens ... Sometimes I like two in front and one on the side if I'm using keyboards to practice a song and want to watch videos ... Or refer to something on the screen without turning my head ... ) That said, I just discovered a $10 app — Air Display — that turns your ipad into a second — or third or fourth or fifth — screen for your mac ... Haven't downloaded yet but will soon ...

BTW ... Go for the SSD ... It really makes a difference ... (The good thing about 2012 mac mini is you can swap out stock HD for SSD ...I bought mine used and the guy who sold it to me user-installed a SSD and saved himself money (ask about components because you should pay less if he did) ... But if you buy one used with user RAM, make sure it's actually good ... I got one with a bad 8gig stick that I didn't realize was causing problems until I tried to play a game and it kept crashing ever other minute ... ) Good luck ... Otherwise, I love the Mac Mini ... (BTW ... everything is running fine with 8gb of RAM) ...

oh ... and ...
Cheers for that...

I've done plenty of reading on the mini's and have decided to get an older one, I found an as new one from 2010 with 500 gig HD and 6gig Ram that suits me perfectly, running Reason it should be a simple computer swap over, and plug my audio interface back in and keep rolling. My daughter gets the macbook finally (she doesn't care she's 7 ) and I get rid of that darned fan noise...happy days..
Old 30th July 2014
  #1948
227861
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
... I got one with a bad 8gig stick that I didn't realize was causing problems until I tried to play a game and it kept crashing ever other minute ... ) Good luck ... Otherwise, I love the Mac Mini ... (BTW ... everything is running fine with 8gb of RAM) ...

oh ... and ...
Yeah never cheap out on RAM.
Old 31st July 2014
  #1949
Gear Maniac
 
PorchBass's Avatar
The HH sounds nice to me... MUCH better than Volca beats
SN envelopes seem to need a bit of tweaking; body and noise components seem a bit disparate. Analogue SNs seem hard to do well!
BD.... mmmmmm lets skip over the BD for now. needs work.
Let's get happy - it has swing, velocity and trig out. Funky Hats a gogo! Surely it will complement our other gear such Volca beats, rather than replace.
I'm just glad it exists. AKAI sure had burning trousers.
Old 31st July 2014
  #1950
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
It depends on how many Rhythm Wolves you buy.

And me.

Let's have many.
I've budgeted for 8 or 9. It's a small apartment.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump