The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
what do you think the tr-8 is worth?
Disappointingly they are closer to $700 than $600 in Sydney...I don't think they are worth that for what it does.. 909 & 808 sounds, having said that if you could import new sounds into it at some point then it would become a serious machine, is there any knowledge on if Roland are doing anything like this in the future with it..like plug out drums..?
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Seems too early to judge sound quality, but not much in it's sound stands out from that video other than the hihats/cymbals. The kick seemed flat...lacked really big sweat dripping hairy balls. Hopefully there's better coming down the pipe as they tweak it. Interesting to see what mods will come from this one as well. Lastly…did I detect a little acidy bass?
Old 25th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
what do you think the tr-8 is worth?
200-250

tb3
100-150
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
200-250

tb3
100-150
well maybe some other company but not roland
Old 25th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
The sound is so... basic.
But it's analog, so it has to be great, right? Even the worst analog is better than anything that is non-analog.

Old 25th July 2014
Gear Maniac

The bass drum sounds great - the snare is almost a 909 if they can tweak it a little bit more....high hats are superb. Looking forward to this!
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
But it's analog, so it has to be great, right? Even the worst analog is better than anything that is non-analog.

sadly for Akai I think they bought into that hype and sentiment that gets tossed around here and
Old 25th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
Or sometimes, something is just **** and everybody agrees.
Almost everybody agrees. And those who don't are castigated.

The herd mentality of GS.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Of course. Poly800 destroys Waldorf Wave
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Almost everybody agrees. And those who don't are castigated.

The herd mentality of GS.
Herd mentality? I don't care what anybody else thinks. I have my own opinions, and after listening, I think it sounds like ****. It just so happens, many others agree.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Geez you guys. Who honestly cares if you do or don't like the sounds?

It seems to me that this little box might be a useful writing tool for some folks. I am a multi-instrumentalist and all of my writing is done at the DAW. I've been feeling a bit put off by writing in the DAW for the past few years though. There is something so uninspiring about trying to write a track while looking at a computer screen. I even tried going back to an old 424 MKII but the motor on that died after about 6 months. What a drag!

One thing that analog does really well is it gets us away from the computer screen. The concept of sitting down with this box and a guitar/amp to write a song is much more inspiring to me than trying to do the same while staring at a bright computer screen in a dark room.

We have neglected to discuss how this can affect workflow. Sure, sure there are better sounding boxes. I'm sure most of them are better in fact. That said, what if you're a high school kid looking for this kind of thing. You think he's got 1k to spend? $200 might even be a stretch. If this box is exciting to him and will help motivate him to become a musician in our society why do we sit around looking at our computer screens and trash it?

I just don't understand. If you don't like it don't by it. Or better yet go and build something better! Then you will actually have something to talk about.

Cheers!

Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

While your sarcasm is duly noted, I can't help but think that its worth it to add another $300 and pick up a Sonic Potion LXR....just going by the sounds heard thus far.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

If you wanted something to jam to you can just pick up something really cheap off eBay, like one of those old Yamaha RXs - would probably sound better too lol
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Maniac

I can't comment on what people want from this box, i don't expect it will be similar to my wants, but again, i like this thing a good deal.

Those hats are pretty nice sounding, and while I see the snare as being limiting, I suppose, it has character. The whole thing kind of seems a bit simple, yet interesting. I've always enjoyed using and treating old, simplistic drums machines, so it's refreshing to see this one coming out... The bass synth seems serviceable, but not spectacular... heres to hoping it can be manipulated interestingly, maybe the "howl" will add something.

On the whole analog/digital dialogue- I will admit I am partial to analog machines, and am willing to state that I would always prefer them (though concede it's born out of familiarity, and being partial to/understanding it's operation... at least better than what is going on inside a digital synth), but also like to think I am open minded- in regards to sound (say if it works, it works).
This box summoning the boops and pffts from analog circuitry tells me a good deal about what to expect from its operation and sound, I feel more at home with it, I guess, than say, a roland aria... though would have no qualms about having at one of those, either!

Though what this box seems ripe for is a guy like me... more a guitarist who dabbles in synths and still bases most of his work on "organic" elements, but does not shy away from exploring all avenues. I dig unique, if limited, electronics, and the basic sound of this seems pretty solid, even kind of charming. I could use this, and would enjoy having an easy to program drum/synth box for sequencing things. Probably would sound pretty great through an amp to...
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraus View Post
what if you're a high school kid looking for this kind of thing. You think he's got 1k to spend? $200 might even be a stretch.
I've been a high school kid with limited funds. About 30 years ago. You know what I did? I got a job and bought things on layaway. Or I bought used gear. I also had the sense to know when something new was crap and spend my money elsewhere.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Nut

I don't think it sounds terrible. Music is subjective. It is cheap, and it seems to have neat functionality. If this came out before I got my tr-8, I'd be tempted to get two of them -- lots of stuff you could do with two of those guys synced together for $400 bucks.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdbot View Post
I'd be tempted to get two of them -- lots of stuff you could do with two of those guys synced together for $400 bucks.

I don't even have the words.
Old 25th July 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I have never used raw unprocessed analog drum machine samples in any track. As a source of samples and loops it sounds great to me. For me personally, I'd have to do major surgery to the output of the TR-8 to get something usable. So I think if you look at this (or any other) drum synth as the start point of the signal chain, then things start to look a little different. Just my little insignificant contribution... Carry on!
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Dude, they're analog.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Dude, they're analog.
Exactly
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've been a high school kid with limited funds. About 30 years ago. You know what I did? I got a job and bought things on layaway. Or I bought used gear. I also had the sense to know when something new was crap and spend my money elsewhere.
In all fairness most of us did the same. My buddy and I saved all Spring before going into High School to buy a 4-track.

I am simply stating that this unit will be a good solution for some budgets.

Quit calling it crap already! We have all heard that loud and clear.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:

Wow, a little personal there buddy. You ok? Calm down. I could care less whether it is analog. Comparing two of these at 400 to the tr-8 at 500, is where I thought you could do some interesting/different stuff in comparison.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

For $400 you could easily get a Korg ER-1 and EA-1 and do tons more that sounds a heck of a lot better.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Seems like this is the opposite approach to the TR-8. With the TR-8 everything sounds a little preprocessed and perfect, where the Wolf looks to be pretty raw and rough sounding.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdbot View Post
Wow, a little personal there buddy. You ok? Calm down. I could care less whether it is analog. Comparing two of these at 400 to the tr-8 at 500, is where I thought you could do some interesting/different stuff in comparison.
I'm fine. If you think this is personal, grow thicker skin. People disagree.

Explain to me what you'd do with two of these for $400? Tune the second one's "metallic percussion" to another sound? I just don't see the point. And to the people saying, "Well, if you run it through X and compress it with Y and saturate it with Z..." ...just about anything will sound better at that point. I love analog gear as much as anybody, but spending $400 for two of these? That's just borderline re-tar-ded. I personally think $400 would be better spent on Maschine Mikro, or a Trigger Finger Pro. Granted, they're not analog but they'll give you VAST possibilities beyond the 6 silly sounds of the Rhythm Wolf.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Calling somebody "borderline re-tar-ded" is most uncool.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraus View Post
Calling somebody "borderline re-tar-ded" is most uncool.
I didn't call anybody that. My exact words were
Quote:
"I love analog gear as much as anybody, but spending $400 for two of these? That's just borderline re-tar-ded."
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
I didn't call anybody that. My exact words were
You are hilarious.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Maniac
Some people will like it, but I'm the kind of person who won't settle. I'll keep saving for the something elektron or Boomstar. I already have a drum machine so don't really need another one.

I think it sounds pretty bad, but i can see how some will like it. Maybe Akai will release a Rhythm Dire Wolf with better specs and sound.
Old 26th July 2014
VST
Lives for gear

The question is: would you sell your Volca Beats to get the Wolf?

I personally have not heard enough of the RW to make that call. In fact I haven't heard enough of it to really judge it at all. Maybe by Christmas we'll hear some more.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search