The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
I want to complain about your complaint.
Ok. And?
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

I think it sounds pretty good, and at this price point some of the negative comments are way off, imo.
I probably won't buy it, but that is partly because I'm running out of space. I think I'll save my money for the Analog Rytm instead.
Old 23rd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
I think it sounds pretty good, and at this price point some of the negative comments are way off, imo.
I probably won't buy it, but that is partly because I'm running out of space. I think I'll save my money for the Analog Rytm instead.
Wow how small is the rtym?
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
The first video demo just got posted over on Reddit by Muppets_Attack.

After all of the waiting and banter
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Well, I do think the YouTube demo is better than the one on SoundCloud...
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear
The sound is so... basic. Doesn't look all that useful in any real production situation. It sounds like the intro to a song that then kicks in after 4-8 bars lol.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow how small is the rtym?
The RYTM is pretty small. If I want to add more gear, it better be something I'll get much use of - and the Rytm will be much more useful than the Rythm Wolf.
Get it?
Old 24th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
The RYTM is pretty small. If I want to add more gear, it better be something I'll get much use of - and the Rytm will be much more useful than the Rythm Wolf.
Get it?
yeah j/k
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by booksy View Post
But all the obnoxious complaining (as in the Pro 2 thread) will probably mean people will think twice before posting even casual sound demos of new products. So more waits and more complaints, awesome...
It could also mean manufacturers would actually put efford into making stuff sound good instead of jumping on the analog bandwagon.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

I must say, now that I have watched the video too, that the kick does not sound that bad and I'm actually liking the hihats on this. Is this worth getting over the vb or 522? It depends really, all three sound different.
Old 24th July 2014
The kick and the snare suck. At least with the settings shown. Kick seems to have a pitch env going up at the start of the tail. Usually a terrible idea, perhaps a function of distortion?

However, hi-hats are really nice. Difficult to synthesise a meaty midsy cymbal sound like that. Kudos for the hats.
Old 24th July 2014
Here for the gear

Too bad.

Sounds weaker than the Volca Beats. Price argument always fails because you want to buy music instruments because they sound nice, regardless of price and other instruments.
Sure the Wolf will likely sound much better through the stompboxes, first thing I thought of. My second thought was, why should I buy something which needs that? aren't there better alternatives then? I like analog a lot, but Dave Smith does have a point when it comes to the increase of possibilities when going partly digital. The Wolf somehow proves this point, sadly.

To be fair, most demo's do not sound how you would like because hopefully you have your own taste, but I do agree with the people who called it lifeless.

This explains the long wait, Akai knew it wasn't ok and tried to tweak it out of misery. Let's be honest and hope they'll try again or some other company will!

Or just maybe, maybe it was the bad demo in conjunction with my poor ears... I will never know
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

It sounds like it costs $199.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear
Hmm, guess I was testy yesterday. I wasn't annoyed by criticisms of the sound, more about criticisms of the demo as a performance...

But anyway, I agree with a few others that the hats sound really good. Snare, not so much. Not really a fan of noise burst snares.
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Nut

When these are $100 on ebay, I will get one just for the hats. The sequencer actually looks like it might be really good as well, so it might be a fun little thing to get ideas on.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Even though it's less than half the price of a TR8 it's still 200 clams that could go towards the cost of a TR8, so in that sense it really does compete with the TR8.

But, for 130 bucks or so used, a no-brainer.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Sometimes I think one person says they dislike something and everybody else just repeats it.

Sounds fine. Keep it moving.
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald View Post
Sometimes I think one person says they dislike something and everybody else just repeats it.

Sounds fine. Keep it moving.
Agreed sir.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Listening again to the demo in the video.... "oh.. step aside and let me do it, you're doing it wrong!"

Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear
Overall I think it sounds fairly good, especially since it's percussion AND bass for $199. The only significant problem I hear is that the snare sounds ssquissssssssssssssssssshy. Like somebody pouring sand out of a metal can.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald View Post
Or sometimes, something is just **** and everybody agrees.
Old 24th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascillate View Post
When these are $100 on ebay, I will get one just for the hats. The sequencer actually looks like it might be really good as well, so it might be a fun little thing to get ideas on.
I'm still waiting on my 200.00 TR-8 on ebay or CL. Ha!
Old 24th July 2014
Maybe the good thing is this will motivate Akai to follow up with a really good demo then the negative pub can be proven wrong!
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
Or sometimes, something is just **** and everybody agrees.
You guys...

Anybody mind if I press PAUSE on this?

Some people like it and some people don't.
Old 24th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Even though it's less than half the price of a TR8 it's still 200 clams that could go towards the cost of a TR8, so in that sense it really does compete with the TR8.

But, for 130 bucks or so used, a no-brainer.
I still haven't bought a TR-8 yet because I still believe it's overpriced for the limitations and some of the quirks so I'm waiting on a used one but I will say my hat is off to Roland. Damn they really nailed a great sounding drum machine!
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
It sounds like it costs $199.
$200 is a lot of money for something that would never get used in a song. It sounds like a dead turd... I wouldn't bother taking one for free... no room in the studio, not gonna waste an input on this crap.
Old 24th July 2014
Quote:
Maybe the good thing is this will motivate Akai to follow up with a really good demo then the negative pub can be proven wrong!
The same way they proved the vaporware rumors wrong, months later.
Old 24th July 2014
I think that there will be lots of them second hand a few weeks when they come out. I can't judge the sound from these demos but I think it'll be like with akai XR20. All over the place for cheap: "Mint used at home for two hours..." Akai/Numark is heading in the wrong direction. Such a shame. Such a waste of brand. :(

Last edited by Mandzo; 24th July 2014 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: sad face
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still haven't bought a TR-8 yet because I still believe it's overpriced for the limitations and some of the quirks so I'm waiting on a used one but I will say my hat is off to Roland. Damn they really nailed a great sounding drum machine!
what do you think the tr-8 is worth?
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
$200 is a lot of money for something that would never get used in a song. It sounds like a dead turd... I wouldn't bother taking one for free... no room in the studio, not gonna waste an input on this crap.
I'd rather buy four Alesis SR-16s than one of these.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search