The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Hate to make the comparison, but when the bass line got stepping it reminded seriously of some Aphex selected ambient tones. Not that those 101/60 tones were complicated by any means, but there was certainly a resemblance.

And I have to say that I kinda liked it. Wasn't digging it so much the first couple minutes, and though uninspired all throughout, it did begin to show some character after about 4 minutes. I like how no frills it is, (frills would add to the cost). I'll reserve any serious judgment till more examples become available, but I think the 'wolf could sit next to the 606 any day. A modern 'vintage' drum machine - the sounds weren't super crisp, but had a pleasant, medium-fidelity analog tone. It doesn't have to be a copy of anything else as long as it's good at being itself.

Oh, and mono? I wouldn't take a simple little analog drum box any other way! Cause let's face it, if it was vintage mono it probably wouldn't be an issue.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Guru

Fair dinkum it looked like he didn't know how to use it, he was very undecided about every aspect and obviously has no musical talent, the patterns he created sounded like something my 7 year old might knock up if she was having a bad day...having said that I couldn't hear it well enough on my laptop or on the poxy K Rockits at work so will try again at home in my studio before making anymore comments...
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

... G ... how friggen long did it take to get a sound demo of this thing ...

and now I'm still underwhelmed ... perhaps it needs to be played with some FX. I'm going to check one out still, but yeah, not overly impressed with that video.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Sounds par for the course at the price. Maybe a nice secondary drum source to assault with suitable FX.

But I had somehow envisioned it to be smaller box.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

So, still no demo of the square waveform? tbh the demo vid was so interesting that i only skipped throught it - was there any square waveform action anywhere?
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Nut

Can't believe I actually considered waiting for this thing instead of buying the MFB 522 .

Sounds terrible. Just terrible...
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely_Josh View Post
I wonder if people would still think this thing sounded bad had they had demos of it when it was announced…

I think all this buildup to it just made it too overhyped perhaps…

perhaps not…

just a thought..
I think this is about 4 years to late. If this had come to market before the Monotribe or the Volca beats people would be falling all over themselves because it's analog

What we are seeing is that market is full with cheap analog gear, and there is no room in the limited analog market for anything that doesn't sound stellar

If you already have e Monotribe and/or a Volca Beats there just isn't enough of a draw for a lot of people for this

You would probably get more mileage for less money exploring the many drum options of 1980s era Casio and Yamaha cheap keyboards, or spend $50 more and get an Artruia Sparkle that comes with a ton of samples from low-fi drum machines
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

That snare is horrible. Yuck!!

Wow. Lost complete interest right there.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

well. I don't care much about sound.Boring already But this sequencer with vc out and midi out looks more interesting...Besides this is no official video..Some chap try to play. I'm still interested in.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Addict

The sound is simple and great, like 70s drum machines (like somebody mentioned).

I'm sure if you ran it through an MXR Carbon Copy or Big Muff it would be like WHOA SWEET. If you've ever played with a dry 808 or Linndrum, you'd realize they sound pretty boring unprocessed/unmixed, but it's that solid core that gives you the freedom to explore.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Addict

i think it sounds good esp for the price
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
Exactly my feelings. I think the digital TR-8 smokes this tenfold. Funny world this is.
A £400 drum machine sounding better than a £160 one? I'd bloody hope so!
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azone2 View Post
I guess you don't even care about the bass synth thingy - which is the worst of all! Someone above had a great idea. Buy a Boss DR110! A seriously great idea. The drums and perc are nice and along the same lines as the rhythm wolf thingy although a bit more intricate/dense. The clap is unbelievable - although some might not like that you can recognize it. I have a couple on a shelf that I haven't used in a while... going to pull one out and mess around a bit.
The DR110 does sound ridiculously good, very punchy. Good sounds and the accent help there. RW does have velocity, but that is arguably more fiddly than an accent track.

Edit: Just a general thought - if people keep hurling insults at the guy who's made the demo (JUST FOR US WITH OUR 62 PAGE THREAD?!), he's probably not going to be in too much of a hurry to make any more!
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Addict

.....after all these days....THAT'S the preview!?

somebody must be fired......what a crap.

this thing is damned cheap....and that's exactly the way it sounds....

i surely won't buy one......end of the day, even true analog farts are just farts.....
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
The first video demo just got posted over on Reddit by Muppets_Attack.

Sounds horrendous, almost as bad as my pld Electribe R!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Just get a $100,- Boss DR110. It has everything: the kick, the snare, the clap, the hats
Rhythm Wolf: you call that a snare? What, no clap? Haha
And to people saying it would sound good through an analog delay and distortion: anything sounds good through those.
Maybe good as a gate/trigger sequencer.
Edit: i'll bet you the trigger pulse into an analog mixer will be the best sound you'll get out of this
Had a dr110 and it sounds fab, however lack of midi makes a pita to use. I sampled mine, sold it, and loaded up my SampleTrak with its samples.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Maniac

Im surprised by the amount of negative comments actually. Not saying it sounds brilliant or anything...but doesn't sound bad. The kick sounds like it has far bigger balls than a volca. Certainly won't expect it to sound 'flat' as a few folk have mentioned on the interweb.

The demo is a bit annoying though because he doesn't tweak enough to give you any kind of scope for the capabilities.
Old 23rd July 2014
Some guy is going to buy this thing and make a really awesome song with it.

I'm not going to be that guy.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Addict

....well....now....on the toilet....i watched and listened again....with my beyer dynamic headphones and some good will...

if this vid is not brutally bad, this machine is completely senseless....this box looks bigger than it sounds....never heard something that cheap before, really......this kik is no kik....and this snare.....well, i don't know what to say.....
Old 23rd July 2014
snare is pretty crappy...something i'd expect from a 80's casio watch
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Addict

I really like the way it sounds. Hats in particular are nicely sizzling. I rarely buy new gear but might give this a go
Old 23rd July 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
sounds proper old school, some where between a dr110 tr606 and sound master sr88. and a mono synth built in? looked like fun for the money. shame it doesnt have acc?ent or sli?de. if it did id be on it.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Guru
Jeez... Tough crowd
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
something i'd expect from a 80's casio watch
Now THOSE things were cool as hell!
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Addict

I actually dig how it sounds. But like I always say a youtube video is never the best format to judge a piece of gear. Listen to it on a good sound system or with good headphones to get a better picture. Trying it in person is going to be the best way to get a feel for it.

Sounds better than the volca beats in my opinion.
Old 23rd July 2014
I think the main problem is the guy who demoed it, people who shot the demo and the people at Akai who ok'd it to go up on the web. Period.

Akai should be requesting this guy take this vid down.

At this point with all the negative reaction, I honestly believe that the negative reaction is valid because of this poor demo. But I wouldn't write off the drum machine yet. Until we hear a better demo by a better player. My God was that pathetic to watch, especially the intro. Got to be the worst product sneak peak demo I've ever seen. Even a Dbeam video is better.

Gearslutz isn't the only one complaining it took so long for this thing. Go on YouTube and you'll see a boatload of complaints.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

It sounds alright. That snare is ugly tho. I would rather have a used volca beats and bass over this for about the same price. What about slide, accent? Was there ever a mention of those, i cant remember any more.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear
People complained ceaselessly for months because we didn't get an audio demo, now everyone's complaining ceaselessly about the demo. I don't really know what I think about this drum machine, but it's cool that it's actually being made. But all the obnoxious complaining (as in the Pro 2 thread) will probably mean people will think twice before posting even casual sound demos of new products. So more waits and more complaints, awesome...
Old 23rd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by booksy View Post
People complained ceaselessly for months because we didn't get an audio demo, now everyone's complaining ceaselessly about the demo. I don't really know what I think about this drum machine, but it's cool that it's actually being made. But all the obnoxious complaining (as in the Pro 2 thread) will probably mean people will think twice before posting even casual sound demos of new products. So more waits and more complaints, awesome...
I want to complain about your complaint.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

The only complaint I have is that the guy doing the demo wasn't wearing a wolf t-shirt.

WOLF FAIL

Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by booksy View Post
criticizing =/= complaining

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search