The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak260 View Post
sounds flat and lifeless
I'm trying to stay positive about this. Problem is the demo started really bad and flat. If this thing does sound good in person then Akai needs to hire a new marketing dept / video team. Holy crap did that demo start weak.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

sounds dildos

Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

is there really a winner with the cheapest throw-away gear possible? meh drums, meh 303.

maybe i'm just old school but but i'd rather save-up to buy a great piece of gear than something cheap just to fill a space on my desktop...
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post
aaaand lookie here:

Test Howl 1
Thanks! This gives a fuller picture, although I would love to have seen the drums tweaked a little more - as it was they were more or less static until almost the very end, so I still don't have a good idea of the sound. My impressions:

Bass drum: least interesting so far, seemed lacking in energy
Snare drum: didn't care for the boxy sound but it had character nonetheless. That bit at the end where you adjusted the 'snap' suggested it could be a lot more versatile...
Wood block sound: liked it a lot. layering it with the bass drum improved the latter considerably on that bit where you rolled in the middle.
Hihats: Also liked them. Seemed a bit fizzy/noisy at first but they can also deliver a pleasing metallic tone. One of the best things about the unit.
Bass: unadventurous but serviceable. Resonance seems a little 'whistly' in the higher registers but it delivers a satisfying rounded tone with the filter closed.

Sequencer: can't really judge this from a demo but looked straightforward, and intuitive, as befits a minimal device like this.

Rhythm Wolf logo: party party party party

Do you happen to know anything about pricing or availability? I assumed all comments at Messe were preliminary/aspirational so I've been assuming it was all TBD.

Overall I liked it - it's limited and has some weak points but looks like a lot of fun to use. I'm very likely to buy, despite its flaws. Sorry to say that this demo is not a good advertisement for the kick and snare, at least as far as my taste is concerned. I would like to hear more tweaking of the drums to know what they're capable of. But worst case, it could be modded or I could trigger sounds I prefer from other gear. I like it as a controller/sequencer as well the other sounds described above.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
I'm trying to stay positive about this. Problem is the demo started really bad and flat. If this thing does sound good in person then Akai needs to hire a new marketing dept / video team. Holy crap did that demo start weak.
Yeah, but note that this is an unlisted 'test' video, per the Youtube description. This isn't aimed at the general public, so we're getting a little 'insider' preview here. I appreciate this as it gives me a better sense of how the machine really responds, same way I prefer to see a user demo to a slick presentation. However the slick presentation is an important part of the sales process and I agree that this needs a bit of work, maybe a few different videos exploring a few different musical styles.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

The logo would make a cool tattoo :o
Old 22nd July 2014
Who released the vid then? I thought it was Akai? Even a sneak peak can be better done than this. I agree, I like the insider previews too but....it's been so delayed and this is the first impression?
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Frankly, I'm a lot more interested in discussing the drum machine than the marketing campaign.
Old 22nd July 2014
Deleted User
Rhythm Wolf will go down well with the home or club organists, so Pensioners can have acid house tea dance waltzes, bossa novas and cha-cha's.

It still sounds like they stuffed an old rhythm ace into a new squat box and tacked a bollox sounding bass synth onto it. No doubt that is why it's so dirt
cheap!
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Frankly, I'm a lot more interested in discussing the drum machine than the marketing campaign.
fair enough.

it'll still sell though
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
The first video demo just got posted over on Reddit by Muppets_Attack.

The sounds sound out of tune with each other. Not a very musical sound to me.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Rhythm Wolf will go down well with the home or club organists, so Pensioners can have acid house tea dance waltzes, bossa novas and cha-cha's.

It still sounds like they stuffed an old rhythm ace into a new squat box and tacked a bollox sounding bass synth onto it. No doubt that is why it's so dirt
cheap!
It actually of reminds me of the drum section built into my old Casiotone CT-310, haha. Not a bad thing since I like those grungy sounding vintage drum machines and obviously this will be more flexible.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Brilliant.

~£150 saved.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

This thing sounds like farts.

Analog Farts.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

I actually like the clicky sound it has -- i expect this to complement other stuff well.

And c'mon, that bass sound is going to be killer run through a fuzz or distortion box and analog delay.

If they keep it at $199, well now......
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Addict

exactly, it is released by AkaiPro channel, but not officially listed, just via exact URL
So just hope this is not a final build.. tho, it should be in stores by the end of september, so they might working in packaging it right now, right?
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Maniac

I actually quite like the drums... This thing seems pretty cool to me. Anyone bitching about it's lack of this or that should probably get over it- it's clearly $200- and that seems about right. That puts it right in that spot where it could simply be a one trick pony, but also fugg with able enough to be a great, dirty lil box of fun... with no guilt over not using it as a staple.

I've no interest in dance music, so I may not be the target... but I could kraut rock to this lil bugger all day. The drum sounds would meld quite nicely with a live drummer.

Nice to see it actually does exist. This forum is insane- the hell was with all the conspiracy theory nonsense?
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwede View Post
the hell was with all the conspiracy theory nonsense?
Quote:
This forum is insane-
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

This demo sounds flat, yeah.

Kick. Blah. Flat, dead thudddd.

The snare bothers me most. It sounds like two distinct parts (The attack tone and the noise) instead of a cohesive whole. Not snappy. Just open gate, Tzzzzzzt.

Percussion sounds like a bag of clocks.

The hats seem pretty nice and ringy.

The guy doing the demo doesn't help as he has zero feel for anything like levels.

I'm sure processing could help it, but I think a machine should still sound good naked.

I'm currently not sure if it has character or no character.

Looking forward to hearing more demos.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

I kept listening waiting for something cool to happen…

Anyone hear those sequencer glitches? In the beginning when its drums only…didn't seem intentional though I wasn't actually watching the video...
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Disappointing. Since they were going for a low price point to begin with, they should have left out the bass synth, replaced it with extra DRUM features and concentrated on just making the drum machine as best as it could be instead of trying to be everything to everybody. The fact that this has “metallic percussion” but not a CLAP seems like an unforgivable oversight. Missed opportunity.

In the positive column, I will say I liked the hats.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone bitching about it's lack of this or that should probably get over it-

Nice to see it actually does exist. This forum is insane- the hell was with all the conspiracy theory nonsense?
Perhaps I just didn't notice it before, but starting with the AIRA, some people seem to use this forum as an excuse to explode with madness.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Maniac

I wonder if people would still think this thing sounded bad had they had demos of it when it was announced…

I think all this buildup to it just made it too overhyped perhaps…

perhaps not…

just a thought..
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Well, I really dig the primitive, 1970s 'rhythm box' sound of the drums in the demo. Glad it's not trying to mimic like any x0x drum boxes I guess.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Maniac

Just get a $100,- Boss DR110. It has everything: the kick, the snare, the clap, the hats
Rhythm Wolf: you call that a snare? What, no clap? Haha
And to people saying it would sound good through an analog delay and distortion: anything sounds good through those.
Maybe good as a gate/trigger sequencer.
Edit: i'll bet you the trigger pulse into an analog mixer will be the best sound you'll get out of this
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

The guy operating the machine didn't appear to put any real effort in to sculpting the sounds in this (ahem) "demo". So I'm sure it's got more potential than the video showed. Shame there's no clap. But the snare was better than my DRM1 I reckon (which is its weakest sound IMHO). Hats were pretty good.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear
I'd love to love this but it sounds as flat as a spandex pancake in that demo.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Kick. Blah. Flat, dead thudddd....The snare bothers me most...Percussion sounds like a bag of clocks....The hats seem pretty nice and ringy.
I guess you don't even care about the bass synth thingy - which is the worst of all! Someone above had a great idea. Buy a Boss DR110! A seriously great idea. The drums and perc are nice and along the same lines as the rhythm wolf thingy although a bit more intricate/dense. The clap is unbelievable - although some might not like that you can recognize it. I have a couple on a shelf that I haven't used in a while... going to pull one out and mess around a bit.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear
well... just glad i did not cancel my tr8 pre for this at the time.
Old 23rd July 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Akai needs to hire a new marketing dept / video team. Holy crap did that demo start weak.
It's not a marketing demo, just some dude's video...
Tell me of a single good piece of gear that doesn't have bad videos on YouTube.
Put any piece of crap in the hands of talented musicians and you'll probably go buy one immediately.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search