The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Wow just wow - I'll be for sure getting one of these instead of the beats I was going to get.
So I'm assuming that some of the sounds are PCM based?
Currently 450 people viewing this thread - akai you have our attention
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Rhythm Wolf

Uh oh. It doesn't actually sound that good.

:( Waahh.
Old 10th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
So I'm assuming that some of the sounds are PCM based?
Dude it's an analog drum machine, there's no digital sounds.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
It's nuts to think that you can buy this and a Microbrute or something and have an entirely analog little setup for ~ $500. Add a cheap delay pedal and maybe a chorus or something and you're all set.
Yeah, someone else was pointing out that for the same (projected) price as the Analog Rytm you could get the Rhythm Wolf, all 3 Volcas, a Microbrute and a Minitaur. Or mix & match products as you see fit.

I did not guess that Akai would pull this move at all - the MPX8 last year struck me as a great little device, but they seemed to be going down the software/controller route in every other respect. To see them launch these two machines is just mindblowing, they've turned the market upside down and Messe doesn't even open until Wednesday. People at a lot of other synth companies are going to be sleeping very badly tonight.

On a different note, I wonder what the 'I/F Variation' button on the front panel is for? Interface Variation...? Like, maybe it also does 6 channels of MIDI? or 'Improv/Fixed'? There's a separate button for sequence variation, TR-909 style. I can't really guess what it means. If it does MIDI (to control the sampler box) that would be pretty radical.
Old 10th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
I did not guess that Akai would pull this move at all...
Alesis are also teasing a new product, and they're the same company as Akai now, I wonder if it will follow the analog trend revival too...
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Alesis are also teasing a new product, and they're the same company as Akai now, I wonder if it will follow the analog trend revival too...
Expecting something more orientated towards effects, recording, controllers and such from Alesis.

But an Ion 2 would be nice?
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
It's nuts to think that you can buy this and a Microbrute or something and have an entirely analog little setup for ~ $500. Add a cheap delay pedal and maybe a chorus or something and you're all set.

ENJOY IT TEENAGERS, BACK IN MY DAY WE HAD TO USE FRUITY LOOPS AND WE F***ING LIKED IT.
We do, we do
But yeah it's totally crazy, and to think that these could just be the beginning of a crazed era of (very) affordable analogue hardware.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
On a different note, I wonder what the 'I/F Variation' button on the front panel is for? Interface Variation...? Like, maybe it also does 6 channels of MIDI? or 'Improv/Fixed'? There's a separate button for sequence variation, TR-909 style. I can't really guess what it means. If it does MIDI (to control the sampler box) that would be pretty radical.
Oooh nice catch. I bet the 2 are meant to compliment each other so it might very well do another track of midi. !
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Dude it's an analog drum machine, there's no digital sounds.
Trust me I read the release a couple of times, it said nothing about PCM samples - I assumed due to the price but hot damn if it's entirely analog....... Bargain of the century?
I m a terrible reader - it definently says 5 part analog machine with bass -
After getting into mutable instruments it's amazing what you can build for the money and the analog circuits if not through hold can be tine (see the volca range) so it's obviously possible and they're going to making a handsome profit so it can be done real real cheap (analog anything)
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it does MIDI (to control the sampler box) that would be pretty radical.
I'm really curious about how much midi control of other devices it will have. But yeah, even if you can hook up a MPX8 to it and trigger samples from it, wow. Talk about a robust feature set for chump change.

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here, though. BRB, reigning in excitement.

BTW, wooden cheeks are always rad, but I'm surprised they didn't match the aesthetic of the rest of the box to the MPX series. They look a helluva lot nicer in my opinion. The front panel of the RW looks kinda ugg, to be honest.
Old 10th March 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
Expecting something more orientated towards effects, recording, controllers and such from Alesis.

But an Ion 2 would be nice?
That would be a pinch anticlimactic... Perhaps they're going to release an analog monosynth companion to the Wolf under the Alesis brand???
Old 10th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Trust me I read the release a couple of times, it said nothing about PCM samples - I assumed due to the price but hot damn if it's entirely analog....... Bargain of the century?
That's a common misconception. Analog doesn't have to be more expensive.
I though the Volcas had made that clear by now...

The Volca Beats has 6 analog sounds and 4 PCM ones and it's cheaper than this, so yeah, it's quite possible.
Old 10th March 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
And, if the MPX-16 has no limit on sample recording length then I've also got a built-in digital recorder...
The MPX8 is limited to 33MB per page. Let's hope they can get past that limitation with this unit.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
On a different note, I wonder what the 'I/F Variation' button on the front panel is for?
In Roland TRspeak "I/F Variation" means "Intro/Fill Variation"
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Can you believe I STILL haven't received a cease and desist order from Roland over this video?

d16 drumazon is digital and sounds good. How many do you think can pick the Aria in a blind x0x A/B?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Can we please not go down the AIRA rabbit hole so soon?

C'MON Y'ALL. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT.
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
That would be a pinch anticlimactic... Perhaps they're going to release an analog monosynth companion to the Wolf under the Alesis brand???
If the Alesis guys at Numark are as cunning as the Akai guys, they'll release a 4-6 voice analog polysynth using some leftover Andromeda R&D for ~$1,000.

Talk about shaking up the marketplace. Everyone else would be pissing themselves.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
d16 drumazon is digital and sounds good. How many do you think can pick the Aria in a blind x0x A/B?
Quite a few. On the sequencer i think
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

This looks pretty cool, I might pick it up.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
If the Alesis guys at Numark are as cunning as the Akai guys, they'll release a 4-6 voice analog polysynth using some leftover Andromeda R&D for ~$1,000.

Talk about shaking up the marketplace. Everyone else would be pissing themselves.
Smart would be a 6 voice, enough with this 4 voice-ness.

Anyway,

Awooooooooooo!
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Can we please not go down the AIRA rabbit hole so soon?

C'MON Y'ALL. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT.
Stop trying to ruin our fun! I want to see insult, injury and death in this thread!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

First the news of an ARP Odyssey re-issue.
...Then an analog drum machine from Akai.

We are living in a golden age, fellow synth freaks.
Old 10th March 2014
fda
Here for the gear

I Like the look of this - of course it will be interesting to hear it as that will be proof of the pudding. The only thing I would say is more Drum sounds would be nice- but maybe (as someone said earlier) the percussion has multiple voices. Maybe this unit is to test the market and another unit with more drum sounds and more synth voices could be down the line either way its very interesting!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
After getting into mutable instruments it's amazing what you can build for the money and the analog circuits if not through hold can be tine (see the volca range) so it's obviously possible and they're going to making a handsome profit so it can be done real real cheap (analog anything)
Yeah, certain people who have been telling me for the last year that an affordable analog drum machine is an economic impossibility should be eating their hats right now...although no doubt one of them will pop up shortly to dismiss this as a 'toy' and write long earnest explanations of why they're too special to use it.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
What sold me on this was the gate out to sync arpeggiators to...
This, but more the gate in. Any cv options are a win for me.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearslut View Post
That's a common misconception. Analog doesn't have to sound good. I thought the Volcas had made that clear by now...
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

I have a volca beats and I'm wondering if it might be worth considering one of these instead of a microbrute?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topic View Post
I have a volca beats and I'm wondering if it might be worth considering one of these instead of a microbrute?
Seems a waste... There's not going to be much control over the synth bassline sound, so if you are not interested in the percussion, I'm not sure it's a sensible purchase. Unless, of course, you are in love with the way the synth line sounds when demos start coming out.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post

ohmagAAAD STAAAPP!!
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
Seems a waste... There's not going to be much control over the synth bassline sound, so if you are not interested in the percussion, I'm not sure it's a sensible purchase. Unless, of course, you are in love with the way the synth line sounds when demos start coming out.
Thanks yeah, I think I'll just wait for more info like you said. I just hope I won't be kicking myself over the fact that I got a beats instead.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search