The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Maniac
Not that impressed but I will wait until I get to use it to give my opinions. Seems like a lot of VA stuff sounds better than the demo.
Old 20th July 2014
Deleted User
Drums sound like Rhythm Ace FR-1
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboLoves View Post
Not that impressed but I will wait until I get to use it to give my opinions. Seems like a lot of VA stuff sounds better than the demo.
Who said anything about VA?

Edit: Also, welcome to Gearslutz

Last edited by cogsy; 21st July 2014 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: Being nicer
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

I wasn't all that impressed with what I heard. But if the price is right, I'll probably still consider it.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Guru

It's actually a little tiresome to read about yet another box that emulates a 303 and or a 909, how many groove boxes have been produced and sold claiming they can do a 303 or 909-808...?
I mean do we have to continually keep re releasing these sounds every year, they have been done to death in hardware and software, ffs can we move on it's 2014 can some company think of something new for a change...?

How bout a groovebox that doesn't emulate a 909 or 303, but emulates a poly synth and a Linn drum or something...anything but the continual flog of 303 emulations..
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Am I tripping or does that sound like some flat "techno" preset beat from a 1994 Yamaha consumer keyboard?

Not impressed. At all.
Sounds flat to me, too. I didn't hear much punch in there...
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

based on the demo, there's a boatload of used boxes I'd pay $200 for first.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
Who said anything about VA?

Edit: Also, welcome to Gearslutz
Thank you! I did know that the Wolf is all analog, but sounds more va to me. Maybe just because the bassline didn't have a fuzzy, rich or dynamic character to it.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

If that demo is real the drums/perc sound crappy good, at least they're different. The bass sounds crappy bad to me, very flat, lame, no character.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Well ok, that's the sawtooth, can we hear the square wave too please?
Kinda sounds like this is for the alternative rock / synthwave folks, unless there is more range in the sounds than what's demoed so far. And that's cool since the wait was so long I splurged for an AR
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboLoves View Post
Thank you! I did know that the Wolf is all analog, but sounds more va to me. Maybe just because the bassline didn't have a fuzzy, rich or dynamic character to it.
I did not know that calling something "virtual analog" was a apt description of tone, even for something that is actually analog.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear
such a long wait for this?

the 303 sounds ok-ish i guess but the drum kit?
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdbot View Post
I did not know that calling something "virtual analog" was a apt description of tone, even for something that is actually analog.
well maybe akai is trying the opposite or roland?
Old 21st July 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

Would like to hear the drum sounds in isolation, with some live tweaking, to give us some idea about the range of sounds possible. Or maybe a drumloop without the bassline???
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

The hats and kick sound alright. The snare sounds like it's trying to be one of those modern overcompressed ones that all the wub wub wub nonsense uses. The synth bass sounds good towards to the end. Not bad overall.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Possible Youtube demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-1LRos45Jk
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Drums sound like Rhythm Ace FR-1
Is it weird I take that as a compliment?
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Due to advances in manufacturing, we were able to actually produce the Rhythm Wolf using a mere 7 party gods.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

That's still quite a handful. I'll send more avocado dip.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Kick sounds awful, like really really awful, not usable at all. Let's be patient.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
such a long wait for this?

the 303 sounds ok-ish i guess but the drum kit?
I thought that at first too, but then I thought, "Oh right. $200."

Quote:
On a super hot day a man walking through Chinatown goes into a gift shop to by a fan. The proprietor hands him a handsome fan made of silk, wood with silver accents and ornate decorations and the man, impressed says, "How much?"

The proprietor replies, "$50."

"Oh no, that's way too much," says the man. I don't need anything that fancy, I just want to cool down a bit." The proprietor reveals a similar fan without the decoration. "This one is $30."

"Still too much," says the man. The proprietor goes to a different case and comes out with one that's made of wood and heavy paper. "$15."

"No no no no no," says the man. "You don't understand. I just want a simple fan to move some air around. What's the cheapest you've got?"

The proprietor goes to a bin and pulls out a fan that's plastic and thin paper with a bad ink print on it. "$.50."

"Perfect," says the man, and he pays and leaves. A few blocks away the fan has fallen apart. Incensed the man comes back into the shop complaining. "How did you use the fan?" asks the proprietor. "Like this!" The man then waves the tattered fan around his head.

"Oh, no no no," says the shop owner. $15 dollar fan and up work like that. $.50 fan works like this. The proprietor then proceeds to hold the fan stationary and shake his head in front of the fan.
heh

I'm not saying the Rhythm Wolf is a $.50 fan, but let's face it, did anyone really expect to be transported to drum machine Nirvana from a $199? For a quick thrown together demo I thought it was OK. I don't think I'll get it as I've decided to go in another direction. (Samples + Nord Drum 2 + M.Brane 1_1) but I could see it being a cool thing for a lot of people. Better than the Volca Beats that's for sure.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I'm not saying the Rhythm Wolf is a $.50 fan, but let's face it, did anyone really expect to be transported to drum machine Nirvana from a $199?
Well, some people did. What about those analog-lovers with their "Eat this, Roland" "In your face" "Die, Roland, die" in the Aira-topic, when Akai announced this? ...
Old 21st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post
Due to advances in manufacturing, we were able to actually produce the Rhythm Wolf using a mere 7 party gods.
Nice avatar!
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Guru

How did Akai ever manage to fluke the MPC series...??
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Fluke? If you mean how did they make such good stuff previously...

Different Akai. Different times.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

I think you guys are being a big judgmental based on a single quickie demo...although Akai sort of bourght this on themselves by making everyone wait so long.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Admittedly, we've heard SFA for now. Is it just one confirmed demo?

But I guess 200 is too little to make a decent sounding multi-function drum machine, with pads and knobs.

This would be a good time for the guy from Jomox to come in and say "no sh*t, Sherlock".
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear
Don't know what to think. These demos are for real? I sorta dig the quirky lofi-ness and the hats were pretty cool, but so far it does still seem relegated to the volca beats/70s rhythm box thing. Well I'll reserve opinions until I hear more.
Old 22nd July 2014
I'm hopeful about the Rhythm Wolf even though it's been delayed. I hate to talk crap but is there more info online, audio demos, anything? This seems like "not the way" to build up to a product they mentioned at NAMM. I hope Akai is looking at this thread and hopefully reworking their marketing strategy. Honestly....it kind of sucks. I mean draw it out, yeah that works but this is kind of ridiculous. Is a small analog machine really that complicated? I can't build one myself but hasn't this technology has been around for so long so why the massive delay? Or are they shoving that little box with something innovative and surprising? At least they could tell a few members of the press why there is a delay.

Again I hope for the best though.

Even with this delay, if they do finally release it I believe people will still buy it, no matter how long the delay and little info. It worked for Roland.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
I think you guys are being a big judgmental based on a single quickie demo...
This.

His SC description:

"Quick sound demo. dry, no effects - plugged into a macbook's headphone jack. some clipping. tweaked knobs, turned on howl halfway through. levels were manipulated on the fly, badly i might add."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search