The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 28th May 2014
  #1561
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
I can't see myself....I CAN'T SEE MYSELF!!! OMG!!! AM I A VAMPIRE!!??
Old 31st May 2014
  #1562
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrt View Post
BTW, AKAI is owned and run by Chinese in Macau or HongKong (the same guys who bought Nakamichi) as far as I know. They are not Japanese company anymore since 2000 and almost zero Japanese employee. Only the brand name remains. There is a controversy regarding Akai and this company

Grande Holdings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You're confusing AKAI with AKAI Pro.
AKAI Pro is owned by InMusic.
Old 31st May 2014
  #1563
Gear Maniac
 
kjukambe's Avatar


a very good teapot actually, a friend of mine has
Old 31st May 2014
  #1564
Lives for gear
 
EofN's Avatar
Why is there so much negativity towards the new wave of analog gear?

Standard myth, says who? What about the MS20 mini, is that a myth too?

How is it so expensive and difficult to make a circuit based on technology that was pioneered 40 years ago? SMT just means that the devices can be assembled cheaper and easier than ever before.

Do you really think that an ***electronics*** company is unable to print up a few pcb's and assemble them into a box? It's what they do!

Calling these instruments "happy meals" just sounds so hateful, but what could underpin these feelings toward this gear, just because it's analog it's therefore bad? Can't people just be happy that they now have a choice of gear?

An instrument is just an instrument, to be played with and enjoyed, why not let it be as simple as that?

Personally, I like the look of this $200 drum machine that is listed on Sweetwater's website already.


Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
funny thing is, the Akai Wolf situation really flies in the face of one of the standard myths that gets vomited back on this board all the time

namely analog synth and drum machines are cheap and easy to build and Roland/Yamaha/Whoever are stupid for not making analog synths and drum machines for cheap

still this could have been a fun toy along the lines of the Happy Meal Products from Korg, but alas it seems that all we got was a happy meal box with no nuggets inside
Old 31st May 2014
  #1565
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EofN View Post
Why is there so much negativity towards the new wave of analog gear?

Standard myth, says who? What about the MS20 mini, is that a myth too?

How is it so expensive and difficult to make a circuit based on technology that was pioneered 40 years ago? SMT just means that the devices can be assembled cheaper and easier than ever before.

Do you really think that an ***electronics*** company is unable to print up a few pcb's and assemble them into a box? It's what they do!
then why don't they do it? There in lies the myth, if it is so easy as you claim, why are there not more instruments?


Also FWIW I have no negativity towards the 30+ year old trend of making cheap instruments with mini keys that sell on whatever the gimmick flavor of the month is

When Casio came out with the VL tone, it was a cheap monophonic synth that was also a calculator it sold big time in 1980, when Casio came out with the Sk1 in 1985 it was a sampler with mini keys, When Yamaha in the late 1980s came out with the all the PSS synths with mini keys and 2op FM it was awesome, then when they did it again with vector synthesis it was awesome, then came all the cheapy synths in the 1990s that offered rompler and workstation features, then VA synths came into popularity and Korg came out with the Microkorg, then a Microstation work station, then a Microsampler, then another bigger Microkorg XL VA synth, then a Microarranger, then they came out with a Mini MS20 with Microkeys and fake plastic nuts, it wasn't they start of something new, it was the continuation of a long line of happy meal synths

I was calling them happy meal synths way back in the 1980s as that is what they are
Old 31st May 2014
  #1566
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
Old 31st May 2014
  #1567
that is so 80's cute... does it have MIDI on the back somewhere?

and how about this one...

Old 31st May 2014
  #1568
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
those are awesome
Old 4th June 2014
  #1569
Lives for gear
 
slujj vohaul's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I was calling them happy meal synths way back in the 1980s as that is what they are
And you're very proud of this achievement. You made an analogy! Good for you!

Better beat it to death, some people may have missed this stroke of genius the first 800 times you said it.
Old 5th June 2014
  #1570
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
In any case why announce it at musikmesse?
if you recall this was during the whole "**** the tr-8 it's not analogue" timeframe.
Old 5th June 2014
  #1571
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I was calling them happy meal synths way back in the 1980s as that is what they are
Old 6th June 2014
  #1572
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EofN View Post
How is it so expensive and difficult to make a circuit based on technology that was pioneered 40 years ago? SMT just means that the devices can be assembled cheaper and easier than ever before.

Do you really think that an ***electronics*** company is unable to print up a few pcb's and assemble them into a box? It's what they do!
If it's so easy, do it and make an ungodly amount of money!
Old 6th June 2014
  #1573
Gear Addict
 
Aletheia's Avatar
 

...well this is certainly going to get discussion going. The other day I posted on Akai Professionals facebook page asking about rhythm wolf, didn't expect a reply but then they did. Looks like it's real and coming out this summer after all.

I attached a screenshot of what a rep said.
Attached Thumbnails
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth-screenshot_2014-06-06-10-01-10.jpg  
Old 6th June 2014
  #1574
Lives for gear
 
Seccione's Avatar
 

^^^ I told you so!!!




...wait, no I didn't.
Old 6th June 2014
  #1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
...well this is certainly going to get discussion going. The other day I posted on Akai Professionals facebook page asking about rhythm wolf, didn't expect a reply but then they did. Looks like it's real and coming out this summer after all.

I attached a screenshot of what a rep said.
Obvious photoshop
Old 6th June 2014
  #1576
Lives for gear
 
Diametro's Avatar
 

Old 6th June 2014
  #1577
Lives for gear
 

Attached Thumbnails
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth-screen-shot-2014-06-06-16.54.07.png  
Old 6th June 2014
  #1578
Gear Addict
 
Aletheia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Obvious photoshop
I know this thread is full of bulls*** but if you don't believe me kindly go take a look on the wall of akai professional and search for my post on the rhythm wolf. You will stand corrected sir, I was surprised myself.
Old 6th June 2014
  #1579
Lives for gear
 
slujj vohaul's Avatar
 

"A millimeter here, a silk screen there..."

I knew it. They've had the circuitry and sound working the whole time, they've just spent the last few months making it less hideous.
Old 6th June 2014
  #1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
I know this thread is full of bulls*** but if you don't believe me kindly go take a look on the wall of akai professional and search for my post on the rhythm wolf. You will stand corrected sir, I was surprised myself.
This post looks photoshopped too!
Old 6th June 2014
  #1581
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
"A millimeter here, a silk screen there..."

I knew it. They've had the circuitry and sound working the whole time, they've just spent the last few months making it less hideous.
Then it may be a long time to go before release
Old 6th June 2014
  #1582
Lives for gear
 
Paradigm X's Avatar
 

Old 6th June 2014
  #1583
Lives for gear
 
anigbrowl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
I know this thread is full of bulls*** but if you don't believe me kindly go take a look on the wall of akai professional and search for my post on the rhythm wolf. You will stand corrected sir, I was surprised myself.
He's pulling your tail.
Old 7th June 2014
  #1584
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
They also haven't said it was based on anything else, althought I'd assume it would be informed by other analog bass and drum synths, and stand alone sequencers.
"draws inspiration from the 808 and CR-78, we hear from the engineers. The bass synth is a single-oscillator synth that’s “something new,” not just a 303 knock-off (though still probably somehow related to a 303, if distantly). Of course, right now, the Messe Rhythm Wolf isn’t analog but acoustic, making the pristine sound of silence. (John Cage rave!) But these seem like no-brainers to me as far as direction; we’ll see how good Akai’s engineers are at analog synth circuitry shortly."
Hands on with Akai’s $199 Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine, More Details - Create Digital Music
Old 7th June 2014
  #1585
Lives for gear
 

March 12th, 2014:
"Uh... well, we had a hilarious accident involving uh... voltage rails and things like that before the show unfortunately but we will be having audio demos out. It's our top priority right now and in fact, we already have a video idea where we wanna have three Rhtyhm Wolfs running together. Each person's gonna be controlling their own bass synth. Maybe we'll pick a key. I dont' know. We're just gonna get crazy with 'em."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8BfDN16xBw&t=02m21s

"My goal is to, when I get back next week, is to have some sound demos playing. I wanna have a couple of them playing together. That kind of thing. And i really wanna do a video where we are tweaking out all the sounds so people can get an idea for the range."
"The video probably next week. It'll be in stores probably July. June or July, around there."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8BfDN16xBw&t=04m44s
Old 7th June 2014
  #1586
Lives for gear
 

Why so bitter?
Old 7th June 2014
  #1587
Gear Addict
 

they touched him in his bad place
Old 7th June 2014
  #1588
Akai gave me the hiv...
Old 7th June 2014
  #1589
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by coven View Post
"draws inspiration from the 808 and CR-78, we hear from the engineers. The bass synth is a single-oscillator synth that’s “something new,” not just a 303 knock-off (though still probably somehow related to a 303, if distantly). Of course, right now, the Messe Rhythm Wolf isn’t analog but acoustic, making the pristine sound of silence. (John Cage rave!) But these seem like no-brainers to me as far as direction; we’ll see how good Akai’s engineers are at analog synth circuitry shortly."
Hands on with Akai’s $199 Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine, More Details - Create Digital Music
thanks coven,

i am really curious to hear what it will sound like.
i just hope it either does a perfect 1 on 1 (whatever) classic, or sounds like nothing we have heard before because 'close, but no cigar' i think we have had enough of by now.
Old 7th June 2014
  #1590
Lives for gear
 
sakamoto's Avatar
 

Sooner wolves start to fly before akai release this product

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump