The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 15th May 2014
Lives for gear

Mutable Instruments Anrushi has a drum machine in addition to a pretty powerful monophonic synch at about £300 getting someone to make it up for you.
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Addict

I love it, it's not even supposed to be out yet, and people have already written it off as vapor ware. I can't tell if this is roland street teaming or just narcisists on parade.
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

I kinda wish people weren't so rude that it was enough to drive the Akai guy away. At least then we might be a little more informed of what's up with it now. Oh well, that's the internet.

Hell, if it sounded/sounds like crappy drums from a 70's preset organ I'd still like it... kind of like those sounds anyway.
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Guru
I just feel bad Akai made him do that presentation.
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
I love it, it's not even supposed to be out yet, and people have already written it off as vapor ware. I can't tell if this is roland street teaming or just narcisists on parade.
over two months ago we were told sound demos would be out in a weeks time
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
over two months ago we were told sound demos would be out in a weeks time
Mathematically this means that in two months there will be sound demos...

(sorry: because of the redesign they don't want us to hear the prototype sounds)

A delay of some months is not very unusual for music instruments companies. But maybe, in two or three months, we all are happy with the result.
Old 16th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looping Loddar View Post
Mathematically this means that in two months there will be sound demos...
is this that new common core math i keep hearing about?
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
I kinda wish people weren't so rude that it was enough to drive the Akai guy away. At least then we might be a little more informed of what's up with it now. Oh well, that's the internet.
Nah, that Akai dude is known for popping up to make empty promises and outright lies for whatever product they're trying to hype up whether it actually exists or not, and then just hiding once he gets called out by the people who are actually paying attention.
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
funny thing is, the Akai Wolf situation really flies in the face of one of the standard myths that gets vomited back on this board all the time

namely analog synth and drum machines are cheap and easy to build and Roland/Yamaha/Whoever are stupid for not making analog synths and drum machines for cheap
Very true. Just look at what happened with the Volca Beats snare. Korg claims it was meant to sound that way - while there's an easy mod to make it sound, to most ears, better.

But like I said before, all this needs is a good kick drum and snare to be a huge success. Akai are probably trying to squeeze as much 808/909 style mojo out of a handful of cheap SMT parts, as we speak.
Old 17th May 2014
Gear Maniac

+1 on the volca beats having obvious flaws - they should have taken the extra time and got it right. I suspect there might be some changes afoot with the wolf e.g. wouldn't user samples be nice in a PCM slot?
I can't believe the samples in volca beats aren't flexible! No OS updates since launch? Pah!
Old 17th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass View Post
I suspect there might be some changes afoot with the wolf e.g. wouldn't user samples be nice in a PCM slot?
Silent Wolf has no PCM slots.
Old 17th May 2014
Lives for gear
with akais new management i would not be surpreised at all if this never comes out. the new mpc dummy model too, it was just a ren with an ipad glued to it for., that and the fact that both the 5000 and the ren is still bugriddled is just sad, and sends a strong message of a greedy company bent on ruining a once proud legacy. they even stopped payin roger linn royalty checks. so for that "poor" akai i shed no tears. my thoughts are with all those ppl who spent top dollars on products that should function better.
Old 17th May 2014
Gear Maniac

All akai would have to do is reissue the MPC60 and they would smash it.
Old 17th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coven View Post
Nah, that Akai dude is known for popping up to make empty promises and outright lies for whatever product they're trying to hype up whether it actually exists or not, and then just hiding once he gets called out by the people who are actually paying attention.
"The People" should riot. Burn things! Immolate!
Old 18th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Unless it sold for $499 or less it would fail. In 1988 they were $5,500 list when they were first released.
Old 18th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
"The People" should riot. Burn things! Immolate!
THIS IS AN AFFRONT TO OUR RIGHT TO CHEAP ANALOGUE MONOSYNTHS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSILbSzvgnY
Old 18th May 2014
Gear Head
Please, edit the title of this post of lock it until Akai finally unveils (sonically) the dirty machine...
Old 23rd May 2014
Gear Head

Old 23rd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotwings View Post
Unless it sold for $499 or less it would fail. In 1988 they were $5,500 list when they were first released.
it would fail period, the few people who want one can get a used one fairly easily. i don't think there's huge demand for archaic technology to the point it would be at all profitable. (not hating on the 60btw lots of classic records made with that sampler)
better off reissuing 1000 and 2500 with JJOS out the box if they're going in that direction.
Old 23rd May 2014
Old 23rd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
What would really be the difference between a reissued MPC60 and the MPC5000 though?

The differences between the 60/5000 now are basically just that the 5000 has modern updates and sounds more modern.

If they reissued the 60, don't you think it would have those modern updates too, and unless they used NOS parts, wouldn't it sound modern like the 5000 too?

I guess I just don't see a need for a reissued old MPC because every new MPC has basically been a reissue of the old one already, with just updated features.

If they did reissue it, you would just have the MPC crowd say it sounds too clean/modern and doesn't sound like the original, just like they've been saying about all new MPC's since the 60 lol.
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Old 24th May 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
Its been revealed that the Akai Rythm Wolf is in fact a hoax

Manufactured to try and steal Roland's thunder at the Nam show
How very lame, Akai are just another down the toilet Audio company..sold out and flushed away...too bad.
Old 24th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Did not the MPC5000 claim to have '12bit circuitry' on a software switch for MPC60 mode? Or was that the Ren...
I just meant people would rather have a crappy but rock solid sequencer than 16 q link knobs running on Win8 in an MPC case.
The key was always that the MPC could be tighter than midi down a cable.
Same with the wolf - it's cheaper to build an analogue drum voice than to build a computer to model it.
Old 24th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
Its been revealed that the Akai Rythm Wolf is in fact a hoax
Manufactured to try and steal Roland's thunder at the Nam show
where? by who? link please.
Old 25th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did not the MPC5000 claim to have '12bit circuitry' on a software switch for MPC60 mode? Or was that the Ren...
It was the Ren. Akai got caught lying in their marketing for the Ren about how their MPC3000 vintage mode utilized the "same analog circuitry" as the MPC3000 built into the Ren's hardware. Then it came out that they were just manipulating the fact that it has built-in 1/4" outputs and concocted a marketing spiel about how "Ren uses the same analog circuitry as the MPC3000". Their product manager was later forced to admit that it was actually just software emulation. It also came out that they had deliberately hidden that software emulation from the MPC Studio users because they're still marketing the Ren with having "exclusive MPC3000 analog circuitry": Ot: akai rhythm wolf | NI Support Forum

Quote:
The key was always that the MPC could be tighter than midi down a cable.
Any difference in latency between MIDI transferred internally within the MPC and through a usb cable is negligible. Not enough for that to cause a discernible difference that could be measured as "tighter" anyway.
Old 25th May 2014
Gear Guru
It's funny .. I've gone from "shut up you crybabies" to "fuk Numark".
Old 25th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood View Post
where? by who? link please.
By nobody. It's just the self-generated rumormill in this thread.
Old 25th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Preorder cancelled.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search