The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th March 2014
Nice, Akai! MPX-16 with sampling for $200? I'm all over it. I'm going to wait for the full specs and such, but I think my beloved Command Station might be hitting the 'bay. The big thing for me is being able to sample the output of my PC3 and put hits on pads in near real-time to construct drum kits. The PC3's sequencer is pretty cool, all that's missing really is a nice set of pads and this would certainly fit the bill. And, if the MPX-16 has no limit on sample recording length then I've also got a built-in digital recorder...

I already have a three-wolf shirt, so the drum machine will fit right in.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

MPX16 definitely has my interest.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru
I like the wolf name...
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Akai Professional Product Manager Dan Gill notes, “The Rhythm Wolf puts those sought after analog drum machine and synthesizer sounds right into the hands of today’s musicians. We set out to make a compact drum machine and bass synthesizer, inspired by the classics, that can adapt to any studio setup and integrate with modern and vintage music equipment.”

The Rhythm Wolf will be available in Summer 2014, distributed worldwide with a $199.99 USD street price. Akai Professional will unveil the Rhythm Wolf at Musikmesse, Hall 5.1, Booth B45, March 12-15 in Frankfurt, Germany.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

What sold me on this was the gate out to sync arpeggiators to...

I'm going to be skipping TR-8 and getting both little Akai boxes.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Kinda reminds me of this, just in a different flashy box with added bass synthesizer.

Well, I wouldn't count on that kind of sound quality. Not for $200.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
I like the wolf name...
It's ok, but why not a cool animal like, say, an armadillo or a weasel?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

They should really put a simple sequencer on that new mpx. And then just call it the new mpc for gods sake.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Why?

What is so special about the XBase09 that can't be done in larger numbers, by a non-boutique/non-one-man-company like Akai, at this price.

The XBase09 is just cloned 909 circuits anyway.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

....oh, the price is that official already!?....did'nt realize....puh...what a smack!

and pretty sure this metallic percussion voice can work claplike in a way.....
but for that price you can buy a nord drum module for another 199 and hook it to wolfs back.....and you end up still cheaper than all the rest...

mpc's sound a lot different if you only use the main out at once....so wolf's stereo pair AND his howl overcompression thing will be crap or simply amazing....

and that wolf layout seems to beg for treatment.....
Old 10th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conjure View Post
Very, very likely to be the case.
Not likely at all, it's analog remember?
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Oh! so you have heard the Rhythm Wolf then i take it ? I wasn't talking about the sound of the Xbase 09, i was talking about the front panel and casing.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
They should really put a simple sequencer on that new mpx. And then just call it the new mpc for gods sake.
Yeah, missed boat big time. Releasing both the analog and the sampler with sequencers would have been great.
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
It has a midi in, so i see nothing wrong with externally sequencing it. If it were to be another MPC it wouldn't cost 200 bucks would it.

@ Ohsnap, come on man, just admit it, you were giving Roland a handjob on the TR-8 thread lol.
Old 10th March 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
lol I just thought you guys were all about analog because of the way it sounds.
Well then that means you already knew the answer to your initial question. Which, in turn, reveals your agenda. Thx bye!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

RW doesn't seem to have individual audio outs (although I'm expecting a mod for that about 5 minutes after it hits the stores), and while the synthesis is a bit simpler than the Jomox I think it'll still sound good. Jomox is a boutique firm and they just can't get the same manufacturing economies of scale that Akai can, to say nothing of the R&D economics. As well as Korg and Roland, this is going to hurt boutique firms like MFB and Jomox to some degree as well. Assuming moderately good sound from the RW, nobody will buy the small MFB drum machines and the Tanzbar starts to look very expensive (as does the Tempest, but that's a somewhat different situation). Used Jomox gear will probably get $200 cheaper though :-)
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

Lets hope the demo is more instructive than that bald guy who did the analog rytm demos that sounded like slowed down terrorcore.

please let the machine play with the distortion off before turning it on.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I'm glad i'm going to the Messe. Hope to get my hands on this, the Aira's, Moog sub 37, rytm some modular stuff etc etc
Old 10th March 2014
Do most drum synths not come with a noise source? I ask because I don't know. I've never owned one.

The parameters look like tone, attack, decay. Is part of that tone a bit of noise?

Add that, a noise source, and use the saw/square as an LFO, and you could make a clap.

I ask because noise is something I use with every drum sound I make, be it hardware or software synth.

What is metallic percussion? Would that be like that really old school sounding ride cymbal, that actually sounds nothing like a ride but is very much used in old house and techno?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
The analog revival lives on with more cheap gear Seems like a Monotribe done Akai style, will probably sound that way too.
I'm guessing this is what it'll sound like too. But there are interesting bits to me. The metallic perc might be excellent. And they have the old school mod knob like the simmons analog drum modules which could be really cool. Even if they botched it by making that parameter lame or short throw etc you can mod it to be a whole nother beast.

Another little tidbit. If you are into customizing modding you can replace those mpc pads with something more colorful or extra sensitive etc:
Akai MPC Parts , Accessories , Faceplates and More at MPCstuff.com
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
It has a midi in, so i see nothing wrong with externally sequencing it. If it were to be another MPC it wouldn't cost 200 bucks
I don't see why it should cost a lot more for a simple play-by-hand sequencer like on the sp series or something. It already has midi in, so it can receive ... I have external sequencers, theres nothing "wrong" or "right" about it, but each thing having its own sequencer and syncing up to eachother is twice the fun, for me anyway. I don't see why the mpc name has to carry a price tag with it, especially since they don't really make them anymore.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict
I swear these companies are catering directly to me. I was just thinking, I need another drum machine and a sampler.
Old 10th March 2014
Please take my money, this i just perfect.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobhead View Post
Yeah, missed boat big time. Releasing both the analog and the sampler with sequencers would have been great.
Agreed. If they had merged the best of both of these in a package that looked like a knobby MPX16 with wood sides for $500, I'd be all over it. Everyone would. Poor man's Analog RYTM, that would actually be better in some regards as you could sample directly to it.

All good though. I'll buy this one new for $175 and sell it for chump change if/when they hopefully release something like that down the line.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's nuts to think that you can buy this and a Microbrute or something and have an entirely analog little setup for ~ $500. Add a cheap delay pedal and maybe a chorus or something and you're all set.

ENJOY IT TEENAGERS, BACK IN MY DAY WE HAD TO USE FRUITY LOOPS AND WE F***ING LIKED IT.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans View Post
MPX16 definitely has my interest.
Me too... Might finally have a suitable replacement for my SampleTrak.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

Extremely interesting.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclr View Post
I'm guessing this is what it'll sound like too. But there are interesting bits to me. The metallic perc might be excellent. And they have the old school mod knob like the simmons analog drum modules which could be really cool. Even if they botched it by making that parameter lame or short throw etc you can mod it to be a whole nother beast.

Another little tidbit. If you are into customizing modding you can replace those mpc pads with something more colorful or extra sensitive etc:
Akai MPC Parts , Accessories , Faceplates and More at MPCstuff.com
Yeah I have a feeling the circuit-bending crowd will rank this little beast as their #1 priority the Summer. Expect a whole list of mods to appear within a week after it hits the stores.
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by damondarkwalker View Post
Extremely interesting.
yeh i agree... want to hear this.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
It's nuts to think that you can buy this and a Microbrute or something and have an entirely analog little setup for ~ $500. Add a cheap delay pedal and maybe a chorus or something and you're all set.

ENJOY IT TEENAGERS, BACK IN MY DAY WE HAD TO USE FRUITY LOOPS AND WE F***ING LIKED IT.
Even if i own a tempest i can buy this wolf only to have more tracks! This is sooo awesome!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search