The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Well, that or the rest aren't as funny as you think you are. Some people just have different senses of humor, sheesh.

Edit: A pox on myself for contributing to the silly crabbiness in this thread waiting for our Wolfen overlord.
I wasn't referring to people having different senses of humor, that's a given. But there are some people who could almost be classified as anti-humor. It's one thing to think something isn't funny, but for example going out of your (not you, in general)way to let everyone know you are offended that people are trying to entertain themselves in a thread that is going absolutely nowhere is a special kind of doooshbaggery.

P.s. All hail the Wolfen Overlord
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Overlord seems like a bit of an embelishment for a $200 drum machine. Maybe vassal? Wolfen Vassal. Hmm... doesn't quite roll off the tongue.
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
Overlord seems like a bit of an embelishment for a $200 drum machine. Maybe vassal? Wolfen Vassal. Hmm... doesn't quite roll off the tongue.
Well it did supposedly get fried, so maybe Wolfen Overload?
Old 15th April 2014
Here for the gear

It says release summer 2014... I can't see that happening if there isn't even a video out there yet?! FRUSTRATING!

I hope this cheap analog 'trend' continues, got a volca beats few weeks ago and I'm blown away by it's kick and toms!

BRING IT ON!!!
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Maniac

A friend of mine spoke to an Akai rep, and he told me that there are no samples used in the rhythm wolf.
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepsworth View Post
I hope this cheap analog 'trend' continues...

I hope it does too, but I'd like to see more mid range analogs as well. A Volca Beats Pro made for the $500-$600 price point would be something I'd be very interested in.
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass View Post
A friend of mine spoke to an Akai rep, and he told me that there are no samples used in the rhythm wolf.
Um, yeah, that's because it's analog.

Well, I guess you didn't know that before but you do now.
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
Lol +1 you guys

i could have clicked the thumbs up icon but i thought i'd make a new post so you knew specifically that i personally agreed with something.

+1
and yet you think it's terrible when people talk about actual gear on this thread and try to shut them down
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Um, yeah, that's because it's analog.

Well, I guess you didn't know that before but you do now.
He's joking. It's a reference to the TR-8 thread.
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

They need to invent a symbol to denote sarcasm. Just a hunch, but I'm starting to think that synthesizers must be unusually popular with people that have Aspergers.
Old 15th April 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepsworth View Post
It says release summer 2014... I can't see that happening if there isn't even a video out there yet?! FRUSTRATING!
Yeah, only 5 months left till the end of Summer, how will they pull this off???
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Yeah, only 5 months left till the end of Summer, how will they pull this off???
They won't. The fact that the estimated ship dates people reported here (including one that said next year) have varied wildly should give you a clue.

It's pretty typical of Akai/Alesis/Numark...etc. to prematurely announce prototypes in order to build up hype and gauge reception even if they have to make up excuses and empty promises, much like they did with the MPC Rennaissance controllers. Sometimes they announce a product at NAMM and it still doesn't get released even after the following year's NAMM, like it was with the Synthstation49. Sometimes they get quietly discontinued before ever being released like the MPC Fly.
Old 15th April 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

Estimated shipping dates this early in the product cycle are either very general manufacturer timeframes or retailer guesses. Until the manufacturer firms them up. That explains the variation. I thought that was common knowledge?

This is a niche market (analog synths) within a niche market (music technology). These sorts of prolonged announcement-to-market schedules are the norm. Right? Expecting Apple-like product delivery performance is unrealistic. Do you guys make music? Its quite cathartic...
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

They did seem a bit surprised by the sudden tsunami of interest in their little lupine beat machine.

Maybe that's not a good sign.....
Old 15th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
They did seem a bit surprised by the sudden tsunami of interest in their little lupine beat machine.

Maybe that's not a good sign.....
Not initially, no. Maybe if they're under pressure to deliver a solid product, they'll take their time. I'm cool with that. Plenty of options out there right now.
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
They need to invent a symbol to denote sarcasm.
SarcMark Sarcasm Punctuation
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
They need to invent a symbol to denote sarcasm. Just a hunch, but I'm starting to think that synthesizers must be unusually popular with people that have Aspergers.
What does this have to do with drum machines?
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

I am trying to add 2 plus 2 (and additionally some inofficial infos from an Akai rep) - so here are my results:

1) We still have to wait. Maybe till august.
2) The prototypes were not final.
3) Akai is doing its best to produce a really good sounding Rhythm Wolf.
4) The first prototype had more or less an aggressive "808 type" sound.
5) Maybe the final product will have a slightly different sound character.
6) Goto 1)

I am waiting. :D
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Wave View Post
I hope it does too, but I'd like to see more mid range analogs as well. A Volca Beats Pro made for the $500-$600 price point would be something I'd be very interested in.
Yes Yes Yes The Volca Pro would be sweet!
I almost hope that AKAI would raise the price on the rhythm wolf if the extra £ lifted it above the crowd e.g. external MIDI track, trigger out, dancing pole etc.
My other hope is that Arturia just step up and do a hybrid drum box in the Elektron/Jomox vein - but half the price!
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Nut

i was wondering what way this thing will deal with clock - it says that it will accept trigger in and send trigger out, will the trigger in say from a square wave lfo (like what you can do on a ms 20 mini and volca) work and will it get quantized to a pre determined time value even if the lfo is going slightly faster/slower (as what happens when you clock a volca from an ms 20 mini lfo)
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

roll up & get one here

Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synthWolf on ebay UK
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

I see the eBay scammers are upping their game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto View Post
roll up & get one here

Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
roll up & get one here

Time for some Gearslutz to put their money where their mouth is. All those folks whining about a lack of demo can buy it, get it by "April 24," post a recording, and forever enter the GS hall of fame.
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
I see the eBay scammers are upping their game.
Evidence for that?
Old 18th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Evidence for that?
Pretty obviously it's that no one else has them yet, so this is someone looking for impatient people.
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Evidence for that?
Eh, mostly a joke, but their name "whybuynew" makes them appear to be a used gear dealer. Plus they're not being sold as a preorder, are they?
Old 18th April 2014
bry
Gear Addict

That's really odd, they do have pretty good feedback!

It would be pretty funny if Akai was actually already shipping these, after all the skepticism
Old 18th April 2014
Gear Addict

and only shipped to 1 used gear dealer in england
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

hmm, not just used gear, new DJ gear too. looks plausible.

they provide a phone number, so someone in the UK needs to phone them up on Friday and check it out.
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
Pretty obviously it's that no one else has them yet, so this is someone looking for impatient people.
Nah,bro...seems legit to me. I love their promise to ship within the week. I'm honestly curious what they would send you. Maybe a picture of the Rhythm Wolf, like that one poor chap who wound up with a $700 picture of the Xbox One.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search