The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
So Elektron just released the specs and some sound demos for the AR. It sounds pretty good in my opinion.
Woah! Finally. I'll be totally honest, I have been expressing a negative opinion of the Analog RYTM since they released the first demos of it. Sounded flat and dead to me, which is odd because up until now I've always loved the sound of all the Elektron boxes, though like you, I dislike their workflow.

This puts things in a new light though. I really dug the sound of those demos... well most of them. Since I don't care about it's sequencer, I'm wondering if I'd be happy with it as just a synth engine driven by MIDI. It's pricey, but it does tick all the boxes I have in my "must have" category and many in my "like to have" category as well.

Now I've gone totally off topic. YOUR FAULT! But I will sit tight and wait to hear the Rhythm Wolf anyway. If it fails to make me smile... I may have no other alternative than to finally break down and by the RYTM.
Old 1st April 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Link or it didn't happen.

D'oh! I forgot what day it was!
I had to get someone today
Old 1st April 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX View Post
If they don't drop some sounds soon the GAS will fade out for everyone...i bet it started already for many people...
It has disappeared here, just like it did between Korg's Volca reveal and the release of those. And the Minibrute before that.

Ironically, I'm now considering the Volca Beats a little (despite that snare), and I'm also interested in the Brutes (though realistically I won't be getting one any time soon - enough synths for now).

Maybe in a couple of years the Wolf will pique my interest again?
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Woah! Finally. I'll be totally honest, I have been expressing a negative opinion of the Analog RYTM since they released the first demos of it. Sounded flat and dead to me, which is odd because up until now I've always loved the sound of all the Elektron boxes, though like you, I dislike their workflow.

This puts things in a new light though. I really dug the sound of those demos... well most of them. Since I don't care about it's sequencer, I'm wondering if I'd be happy with it as just a synth engine driven by MIDI. It's pricey, but it does tick all the boxes I have in my "must have" category and many in my "like to have" category as well.

Now I've gone totally off topic. YOUR FAULT! But I will sit tight and wait to hear the Rhythm Wolf anyway. If it fails to make me smile... I may have no other alternative than to finally break down and by the RYTM.
Haha. Yeah. I think I'm done with Elektron boxes, and the RYTM being crippled on purpose is kind of lame in my opinion.

I'm really curious how low second-hand prices will get for the Tempest once the RYTM releases. I know some people have had problems with DSI not coming through on things they promised, but from what I understand most of the bugs have been worked out and people are just waiting on promosed features. That stated - If I could get a Tempest for around $1K, I might just spring on it. Pair it with a MPX for sampling? Yes please.

...Or I'll cheap out and get the Wolf. We'll see. Like others, my interest has kind of fizzled.
Old 1st April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm View Post
Well what about that Korg Oddyssey? That announcement seemed a bit rushed as well.
Totally. Still has me puzzled. Having no experience with Arp anything, I checked out youtube to see what the Odyssey hoopla was about. All I can find are tons of sync sounds and alien blaster noises. I'm not in a Cars cover band or working for the BBC radiophonic workshop.
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Addict

Uh, the Odyssey is one of the best sounding synthesizers ever made, and quite unique. If you like analog anything you would love an Odyssey.
Old 2nd April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by saw wave analog View Post
Uh, the Odyssey is one of the best sounding synthesizers ever made, and quite unique. If you like analog anything you would love an Odyssey.
Not directly slagging the Odyssey, just saying I don't "get it". Haven't heard anything that really inspires me in anyway so far on youtube. The very few musical sounds I've heard in the demos do sound good. Sort of similar to the Neptune 2 I own, so yes I do like analog.

I think what is most disappointing about these "reissues" is they aren't really adding much to bring them into the 21st century. I'm sure there are tons of people who like 1:1 recreations with MIDI, I suppose I just expect more now that we're living in "Back to the Future II" times. What's next in ten years time? A scratched and distressed 1:1 copy of the M1 workstation with USB MIDI? It's not a Les Paul or Strat. And still, I would rather have a Steinberger if I played guitar.

How about a basic alphanumeric screen with patch storage and maybe the ability to load your own sampled waveforms, external audio inputs, etc on the Odyssey and MS-20 Mini (yes i know the MS-20 already has external inputs)? Ooooh! might add another bill to the price. Might derail its "authenticity" Whoopdeedoo!

I know they can't please everyone. Just tired of the extreme limitations of some this new overhyped rehashing.
Old 2nd April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Not directly slagging the Odyssey, just saying I don't "get it". Haven't heard anything that really inspires me in anyway so far on youtube. The very few musical sounds I've heard in the demos do sound good. Sort of similar to the Neptune 2 I own, so yes I do like analog.

I think what is most disappointing about these "reissues" is they aren't really adding much to bring them into the 21st century. I'm sure there are tons of people who like 1:1 recreations with MIDI, I suppose I just expect more now that we're living in "Back to the Future II" times. What's next in ten years time? A scratched and distressed 1:1 copy of the M1 workstation with USB MIDI? It's not a Les Paul or Strat. And still, I would rather have a Steinberger if I played guitar.

How about a basic alphanumeric screen with patch storage and maybe the ability to load your own sampled waveforms, external audio inputs, etc on the MS-20 Mini? Ooooh! might add another bill to the price. Might derail its "authenticity" Whoopdeedoo!

I know they can't please everyone. Just tired of the extreme limitations of some this new overhyped rehashing.
While I think it's cool they're doing reissues, I agree with you 100 %.
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsutek View Post
Yeah, still no audio demos? This has to be the longest "week" in a while..
The fact that the product manager Dan Gill claimed this was "5 years in the making" and they couldn't set it up on presentation day, says it all really.
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

How about a basic alphanumeric screen with patch storage and maybe the ability to load your own sampled waveforms, external audio inputs, etc on the Odyssey and MS-20 Mini (yes i know the MS-20 already has external inputs)? Ooooh! might add another bill to the price. Might derail its "authenticity" Whoopdeedoo!

Ten minutes with the Odyssey and you'd get it. I like reissues and want a faithful recreation of the Odyssey, but you most definitely have a point. Seems like these are things that a lot of people want, but no company as of yet has the balls to go through with it. I'd rather spend money on a more expensive er, Beat Tiger, Wolf Production Center or whatever, with the additional ability to load samples than a cheaper all-analog Wolf for sure. Still will likely buy a Wolf though.

No Wolf at the door after all, what's up Akai?
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
If they don't drop some sounds soon the GAS will fade out for everyone...i bet it started already for many people...
Oh no, then people will have to think rationally about their purchases instead of wanking around on messageboards!
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Maniac
Akai, the company that cried wolf.
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
I'd rather spend money on a more expensive er, Beat Tiger, Wolf Production Center or whatever, with the additional ability to load samples than a cheaper all-analog Wolf for sure.
Or if you've got an iPad, you can just wait for the Beat Hawk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yUMh-O9fp8
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:

I think what is most disappointing about these "reissues" is they aren't really adding much to bring them into the 21st century. I'm sure there are tons of people who like 1:1 recreations with MIDI, I suppose I just expect more now that we're living in "Back to the Future II" times.
What's next in ten years time? A scratched and distressed 1:1 copy of the M1 workstation with USB MIDI? It's not a Les Paul or Strat. And still, I would rather have a Steinberger if I played guitar.

I hope that's not the case!
What i hope for the future to bring is more moddable units like this one, an evolution of midi so you easily can send modulation without breaking the timing etc. Bring what we've come to like from the world of DAWs and bring it out to the hardware world
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't particularly care if it's a 1:1 reissue if they get the sound close enough, however the last thing I give a flying **** about on my synthesizer is an alphanumeric screen. wtf?
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Eh, no.

Are attention spans this short, guys?

Is buying music gear mostly a matter of stimulating an impulse buying addiction, and if you can't have it now, it's too late, or what?
Old 3rd April 2014
PES
Lives for gear

serious reply to satirical post?

Quote:
I think what is most disappointing about these "reissues" is they aren't really adding much to bring them into the 21st century.
That's the whole idea behind a reissue without quotation marks. The "reissues" you are thinking about are what for example Roland is currently doing. That is also fine, but has nothing to do with reissues without quotation marks.

Quote:
How about buying a new synth that's not a reissue without quotation marks of something made without those features?

Quote:
They can, by both releasing new instruments and highly sought after classic ones. And in the case of Korg, that is what they do.
Old 3rd April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Is buying music gear mostly a matter of stimulating an impulse buying addiction, and if you can't have it now, it's too late, or what?
i find impulse-buying rules more for younger musicians; looking for direction(s) and checking out anything they can get a hold of.

most of the older ones* i meet are less interested in collecting gear, more focused on playing with what they have and tweaking it (which does involve more $ admittedly, but i don't think of it as impulse-buying... i could be wrong).

* older as in passing-middle-aged, mostly playing blues/rock
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Addict

I find that my "toy fund" at 43 is significantly larger than my "zOMG I have to have it now" fund was at 23.
Old 3rd April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
I find that my "toy fund" at 43 is significantly larger than my "zOMG I have to have it now" fund was at 23.
yeh mine too actually

but i don't get owned by impulse-buying as much now; usually can talk myself out of it
Old 3rd April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
I don't particularly care if it's a 1:1 reissue if they get the sound close enough, however the last thing I give a flying **** about on my synthesizer is an alphanumeric screen. wtf?
Hey, if I'm gonna buy a new Odyssey I'd like to have presets and know exactly which OSC sync sound or sci-fi space laser noise I'm using and where to find it.
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Haha. Yeah. I think I'm done with Elektron boxes, and the RYTM being crippled on purpose is kind of lame in my opinion.
Oh, I totally agree with you, but I intend to use it for it's synth engines only and I could care less about it's sequencer. Frankly I wish it didn't have one.

I
Quote:
'm really curious how low second-hand prices will get for the Tempest once the RYTM releases. I know some people have had problems with DSI not coming through on things they promised, but from what I understand most of the bugs have been worked out and people are just waiting on promosed features. That stated - If I could get a Tempest for around $1K, I might just spring on it. Pair it with a MPX for sampling? Yes please.
Really? I've yet to find a demo of it that's really inspiring sound wise. Even for $1000... I think you'd be better off with a RYTM and sequencing it from something else.

Quote:
...Or I'll cheap out and get the Wolf. We'll see. Like others, my interest has kind of fizzled.
Yeah, I'm not going to do anything until I hear that box either. I'm still interested in it. I've learned long ago to never trust anything a marketing person says and just go with what is.
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
Re criticism if I were a hw designer I would never read these boards as I am way to thin skinned to parse the valid from things that make me feel bad.

As an enthusiast the board is invaluable because I can parse out reality from hype. A lot of the wishes and feedback is totally valid and helps set realistic expectations.

Ultimately businesses view me as nothing more then a pot of money that they split a % with tier retailers. I exist to give them cash . Fortunately it is very easy: a nice sounding analog / digital combo for $200 and I am in!!!

I am really curious about how it sounds.
That describes me pretty much too, though as a game developer I tend to exist in both worlds. There's the thing you want to make (which, I'd bet was close to what many of us actually want), there's the thing you can make based on manufacturing costs, and there's the thing your marketing people want you to make based on what they think people will find cool. Most development is a war between those three factions. How good a product is usually depends on how badly the marketing people lose that war. Though, they'll never admit it. heh

Case in point, the RYTM. Their marketing initially told me it sounded pretty damn bad. Luckily someone at Elektron stepped in and said, "Well can't we show off all the types of sounds it'll do?" As soon as they did this it was clear it's a good sounding analog drum synth, as I suspected it might be based on other Elektron products I've owned.

So, an open letter to Akai, (who's not reading it) Please do a good job showing the entire scope of what your drum machine can do. Show me it doing hip-hop, trance, IDM and industrial type sounds. Don't guess what your market is. Let us figure that out.
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Last edited by BenDayho; 3rd April 2014 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: wrong thread haha.
Old 3rd April 2014
Quote:
Don't guess what your market is. Let us figure that out.
quoted and reposted cuz some things just should be.
Old 3rd April 2014
mfx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood View Post
i find impulse-buying rules more for younger musicians; looking for direction(s) and checking out anything they can get a hold of.

most of the older ones* i meet are less interested in collecting gear, more focused on playing with what they have and tweaking it (which does involve more $ admittedly, but i don't think of it as impulse-buying... i could be wrong).

* older as in passing-middle-aged, mostly playing blues/rock
Well insulted...well almost lol.

Always listened to jazz and blues, reggae, hip hop, dance, ambient, pop, rock, classic....list goes on, but I still get the mid age life crisis of got to have that kit (as you might see from other posts). In fact the older, more money and less worry about the financial consequences. Only danger to end of life, is the wife

Peace
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, an open letter to Akai, (who's not reading it) Please do a good job showing the entire scope of what your drum machine can do. Show me it doing hip-hop, trance, IDM and industrial type sounds. Don't guess what your market is. Let us figure that out.
Unfortunately Akai promises "hip hop"-inspired sounds according to CDM.
Quote:
Kick, snare, hat (open/closed), and “percussion” part. Percussion covers the “metallic” range – sadly, no clap here, techno/house fans. (Akai does promise “hip hop”-inspired sounds, so … well, we’ll have to hear that.)
Quote:
The drum engine – with kick, snare, hats, and “percussion” – is a new analog engine that draws inspiration from the 808 and CR-78, we hear from the engineers.
But then again, CR-78 was used extensively by Phil Collins/Genesis and for Blondie's "Heart of Glass"...
Old 3rd April 2014
no word from akai yet?
i'm really intrigued by the secuencing capabilities of the wolf, might be a perfect match for jamming alongside a nord drum otb (ipads aside of course).
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sata_fortuna View Post
might be a perfect match for jamming alongside a nord drum otb (ipads aside of course).
Have you looked at Arturia Beatstep? It's $99.
Old 4th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by coven View Post
Have you looked at Arturia Beatstep? It's $99.
yeah, but its more aimed as a step secuencer for melodic parts, cant play a snare and a kick alltogether, or mute the kick, for example.
still interested in one those for my rocket though heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search