The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 29th March 2014
Deleted c1b33bf
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4thlab View Post
I think this is way off the mark. Companies these days, even Roland, know that winning at the internet is mandatory for product success. Don't underestimate the gearslutz forum. Type almost any music gear and production related question into Google and a GS hit will be your reward, almost without fail. You don't think these companies are aware of this, or have experienced it themselves? That makes GS the site to which they must promote, and from which they must garner product feedback and ideas. The last thing they want is someone Googling their product and being directed to a GS forum thread where we mock and defile their new shiny thing, but that is exactly what happens.

I don't normally fall victim to paranoia, but it goes without saying that they have read everything, know exactly how we feel about the situation, and very likely have users contributing to threads trying to dissuade negativity. If I was the marketing director of a big company, like Roland, I'd have a team of people on here, subtly and inconspicuously promoting the worthiness of new products 24/7.
Well said. Propaganda is alive and well in social media. Forum-sliding, anger-trolling, and diluting opinions and topics can be tell-tale signs.
It's certainly easier to do then some are claiming. It's just a matter of allocating resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laterthanyou View Post
I disagree. I work for a famous 100+ Year apparel brand with different forums devoted to our brand. There is no pleasing them. Nothing we do is as good as our "vintage" stuff. When we have tried to cater to them it becomes "I will only buy if uses this type of leather or I will only buy if it is available in this special blue and costs Z. We are a factory in order to get prices to an affordable level we need to make a lot of the same item, not everyone's vision of "their perfect item". And whenever we release a new item everyone pores over it and compares to their old vintage stuff.
Sounds like the style forums and the engineered garments crowd. That's a tough lot to please.
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4thlab View Post
I think this is way off the mark. Companies these days, even Roland, know that winning at the internet is mandatory for product success. Don't underestimate the gearslutz forum. Type almost any music gear and production related question into Google and a GS hit will be your reward, almost without fail. You don't think these companies are aware of this, or have experienced it themselves? That makes GS the site to which they must promote, and from which they must garner product feedback and ideas. The last thing they want is someone Googling their product and being directed to a GS forum thread where we mock and defile their new shiny thing, but that is exactly what happens.

I don't normally fall victim to paranoia, but it goes without saying that they have read everything, know exactly how we feel about the situation, and very likely have users contributing to threads trying to dissuade negativity. If I was the marketing director of a big company, like Roland, I'd have a team of people on here, subtly and inconspicuously promoting the worthiness of new products 24/7.
I have witnessed a small team at a marketing company posting to hundreds of fake blogs and profiles about how great products are, this definitely happens.

Horrendous
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensory View Post
Well said. Propaganda is alive and well in social media. Forum-sliding, anger-trolling, and diluting opinions and topics can be tell-tale signs.
It's certainly easier to do then some are claiming. It's just a matter of allocating resources.
What makes this asinine paranoia is that the internet is filled with people who troll simply because it makes them feel good. No conspiracy required. You will find this behavior on any forum devoted to anything, no matter how niche the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
I have witnessed a small team at a marketing company posting to hundreds of fake blogs and profiles about how great products are, this definitely happens.

Horrendous
Right, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but hit and run accounts are easily spotted and not effective. This is not what we're seeing here primarily (though there have been a few single accounts created for the Aira threads). It's just the usual internet stubbornheadedness and contrarian behavior. The latter is a much better explanation for why these threads get so polarized.
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Right, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but hit and run accounts are easily spotted and not effective. This is not what we're seeing here primarily (though there have been a few single accounts created for the Aira threads). It's just the usual internet stubbornheadedness and contrarian behavior. The latter is a much better explanation for why these threads get so polarized.
It depends on the product, sometimes all it needs is as much internet presence as possible to boost search engine optimisation (it doesn't matter if you start reading and realise it's bull****, they've got your visit), and some marketing companies aren't smart or creative enough to do anything besides spam. I was there because they were absolutely desperate for other ideas, and they are at least embarrassed/ashamed of it.

I wasn't specifically talking about music products though, I guess there could be some things like that going on, but I'm just saying companies do have some desperate tactics, that stuff genuinely exists.
Old 29th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Yeahh they could call it the Beat Tiger.
...wolf-spider senses are tingling... a product tie-in is just waiting to happen!

Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
It depends on the product, sometimes all it needs is as much internet presence as possible to boost search engine optimisation (it doesn't matter if you start reading and realise it's bull****, they've got your visit), and some marketing companies aren't smart or creative enough to do anything besides spam. I was there because they were absolutely desperate for other ideas, and they are at least embarrassed/ashamed of it.

I wasn't specifically talking about music products though, I guess there could be some things like that going on, but I'm just saying companies do have some desperate tactics, that stuff genuinely exists.
Ah, I agree then. I occasionally post in the Yelp talk threads for my locale, and they're occasionally flooded with low-rent SEOs who don't really know what they're doing but get paid by dumber people to hawk products/websites. They only go into tizzies when we call them out on being spammers.
Old 30th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I joined GS after years to post on the AIRA thread and this thread - I have only ever posted on drum machine threads.
GS becomes a bit of a habit - waiting for new videos and discovering stuff you didn't know. I keep coming back to this thread thinking 'surely the wolf is howling by now?'
Certainly the SOS review of the AIRA was a bit redundant after reading 300+ pages on GS! I thought AKAI were 'indulging' the online community to get our interest. Why bother with the release and press otherwise? Ah well, I am reminded of the song 'try a little tenderness'.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

No audio demo's yet, right?
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass View Post
I joined GS after years to post on the AIRA thread and this thread - I have only ever posted on drum machine threads.
GS becomes a bit of a habit - waiting for new videos and discovering stuff you didn't know. I keep coming back to this thread thinking 'surely the wolf is howling by now?'
Certainly the SOS review of the AIRA was a bit redundant after reading 300+ pages on GS! I thought AKAI were 'indulging' the online community to get our interest. Why bother with the release and press otherwise? Ah well, I am reminded of the song 'try a little tenderness'.
I think they had to show it to make people hold off their TR-8 purchases a little and possibly AR
Old 31st March 2014
mfx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepydog View Post
I think they had to show it to make people hold off their TR-8 purchases a little and possibly AR
I think the kit is aimed at two very different markets. Time will tell, until both comparable...pure speculation.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm View Post
No audio demo's yet, right?
It's quite likely at this point that no working prototype actually exists.

It's a classic tech-marketing poker game... "let's announce a product that's very early in the development process, maybe even an early prototype, let's work like crazy to make it happen within publicly announced launch date. And let's kill Roland's sales in the process as buyers will just hold off their purchase to compare".
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Guru
losing steam...
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Sounds good, just like a wolf when its asleep!

Must get.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Seems to be a wolf without teeth...

(it is never a good idea to say that the audio demos will come in one week if...)
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, still no audio demos? This has to be the longest "week" in a while..
Old 1st April 2014
mfx
Lives for gear

Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

This is getting painful.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Well what about that Korg Oddyssey? That announcement seemed a bit rushed as well.
Old 1st April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm View Post
Well what about that Korg Odyssey? That announcement seemed a bit rushed as well.
Korg said September... don't think they promised anything else in the way of deadlines, did they? ...was just thinking haven't heard anything about the Odyssey since the announcement; was hoping they'd have some samples or peeks at how things are coming along.

just another 5-6 months before the Odyssey release; omg that sounds like forever... if only the Rhythm Wolf was here so i could be distracted
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Re criticism if I were a hw designer I would never read these boards as I am way to thin skinned to parse the valid from things that make me feel bad.

As an enthusiast the board is invaluable because I can parse out reality from hype. A lot of the wishes and feedback is totally valid and helps set realistic expectations.

Ultimately businesses view me as nothing more then a pot of money that they split a % with tier retailers. I exist to give them cash . Fortunately it is very easy: a nice sounding analog / digital combo for $200 and I am in!!!

I am really curious about how it sounds.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

If they don't drop some sounds soon the GAS will fade out for everyone...i bet it started already for many people...
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Addict

w00t I just heard it's shipping!

haha, Aprilz 2 u
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
losing steam...
Lycoperdon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lycoperdon

Lycoperdon pyriforme

Scientific classification

Kingdom: Fungi
Division: Basidiomycota
Class: Agaricomycetes
Order: Agaricales
Family: Agaricaceae
Genus: Lycoperdon

Type species

Lycoperdon perlatum
Pers.

Lycoperdon is a genus of puffball mushrooms. The genus has a widespread distribution and contains about 50 species.[1] In general, it contains the smaller species such as the pear shaped puffball and the gem studded puffball. It was formerly classified within the now-obsolete order Lycoperdales, as the type genus which, following a restructuring of fungal taxonomy brought about by molecular phylogeny, has been split. Lycoperdon is now placed in the family Agaricaceae of the order Agaricales.

The name comes from lycos meaning wolf and perdon meaning to break wind; thus the name literally means wolf-farts.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX View Post
If they don't drop some sounds soon the GAS will fade out for everyone...i bet it started already for many people...
Actually the longer this goes on the more I'm going to wonder about quality control and whether the price point was miscalculated
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
Re criticism if I were a hw designer I would never read these boards as I am way to thin skinned to parse the valid from things that make me feel bad.

As an enthusiast the board is invaluable because I can parse out reality from hype. A lot of the wishes and feedback is totally valid and helps set realistic expectations.

Ultimately businesses view me as nothing more then a pot of money that they split a % with tier retailers. I exist to give them cash . Fortunately it is very easy: a nice sounding analog / digital combo for $200 and I am in!!!

I am really curious about how it sounds.
Unless a designer is consistently creating/has always created the perfect product then criticism is a good way they can rethink and improve the product, no designer should feel bad. Any designer who actually takes offence probably needs to be taken down a few notches anyway, it'll only help them, nothing is perfect.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Actually the longer this goes on the more I'm going to wonder about quality control and whether the price point was miscalculated
Agreed. I could see them pulling an "Our bad - it's gonna be more like $275".

I wouldn't be mad.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Although it is annoying when people share terrible opinions that would only change your horse into a camel.
Old 1st April 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Just heard the Rhythm Wolf on a different forum. It sounds amazing!!!
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Just heard the Rhythm Wolf on a different forum. It sounds amazing!!!
Link or it didn't happen.

D'oh! I forgot what day it was!

Last edited by zerocrossing; 1st April 2014 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Fooled on April 1st.
Old 1st April 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Link or it didn't happen.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search