The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Guru
I knew it..
Old 26th March 2014
Bad times... unless we can hear some hOwLiNg SoUnDs from the Wolf.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
WAKE UP SHEEPLE.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
The problem comes when the majority of the "feedback" is absolutely worthless.
As with anything, any person or company taking feedback must determine what is worth responding to and what is not.
Old 26th March 2014
still no sounds...so was just a mock up to try and take some lime light away from the roland aira tr 8 and the mfb drum machine then?
well akai good luck digging yourself out of this one..
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

lol guys Akai are just setting themselves up for a fantastic April Fools' joke, the RW isn't real! An analog drum and synth machine for 199 bucks, you guys are too gullible!
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

According to Ken Rockwell it sounds fantastic...
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

But is it fantastic for 199, or genuinely fantastic that can sit aside non-toys? Because they said that about the volca beats, which is great for 149.
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

Dang, slutz are playing hardball for some samples, lol.
Old 27th March 2014

come one come all... into the beats of the unknown....
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
But is it fantastic for 199, or genuinely fantastic that can sit aside non-toys? Because they said that about the volca beats, which is great for 149.
Volca beats is a GREAT machine. Mod it for great rewards!
Old 27th March 2014
Here for the gear

Hmmm I was saving up for a JoMoX Xbase 888 but possibly this will grace my studio in the meantime, have to hear it first though.
Old 27th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
well akai good luck digging yourself out of this one..
Yes, it will be so hard for Akai to sell thousands of this at $199 after they failed to deliver 5 gearslutz members an mp3 when they demanded so months before release date.
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Yes, it will be so hard for Akai to sell thousands of this at $199 after they failed to deliver 5 gearslutz members an mp3 when they demanded so months before release date.
Ha! I think most of us are just fooling. These wolf pics are hilarious.
It's not like AKAI made an official announcement of the product, then showed us an empty box; oh hang on, it's just like that.
God bless AKAI etc.
Old 28th March 2014
Gear Addict

I just put in my preorder at JRR Shop. Now the waiting begins.
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass View Post
I think most of us are just fooling.
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I doubt anyone from Roland even reads Gearslutz, let alone takes advice from anonymous posters who've never touched the product.
I think this is way off the mark. Companies these days, even Roland, know that winning at the internet is mandatory for product success. Don't underestimate the gearslutz forum. Type almost any music gear and production related question into Google and a GS hit will be your reward, almost without fail. You don't think these companies are aware of this, or have experienced it themselves? That makes GS the site to which they must promote, and from which they must garner product feedback and ideas. The last thing they want is someone Googling their product and being directed to a GS forum thread where we mock and defile their new shiny thing, but that is exactly what happens.

I don't normally fall victim to paranoia, but it goes without saying that they have read everything, know exactly how we feel about the situation, and very likely have users contributing to threads trying to dissuade negativity. If I was the marketing director of a big company, like Roland, I'd have a team of people on here, subtly and inconspicuously promoting the worthiness of new products 24/7.
Old 28th March 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4thlab View Post
If I was the marketing director of a big company, like Roland, I'd have a team of people on here, subtly and inconspicuously promoting the worthiness of new products 24/7.
'big company' is relative. Pro audio is a niche market. And that's an expensive proposition.
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think this is way off the mark. Companies these days, even Roland, know that winning at the internet is mandatory for product success. Don't underestimate the gearslutz forum. Type almost any music gear and production related question into Google and a GS hit will be your reward, almost without fail. You don't think these companies are aware of this, or have experienced it themselves? That makes GS the site to which they must promote, and from which they must garner product feedback and ideas. The last thing they want is someone Googling their product and being directed to a GS forum thread where we mock and defile their new shiny thing, but that is exactly what happens.

I don't normally fall victim to paranoia, but it goes without saying that they have read everything, know exactly how we feel about the situation, and very likely have users contributing to threads trying to dissuade negativity. If I was the marketing director of a big company, like Roland, I'd have a team of people on here, subtly and inconspicuously promoting the worthiness of new products 24/7.
Astroturfing and hit & run accounts don't work as well as you think they do on interactive forums. Maybe spouting crap in Youtube comments, or on more one-way, untargeted outbursts through Twitter, but people hired for social media roles aren't generally the smartest.

They don't integrate with the rest of the forum, their bizarre promotions/anecdotes/bursts just look alien. And when they've only posted about one particular product (and/or to trash the competition), they disappear.

That the weirdos on these threads only have their obsessive-compulsive criticisms on the product is probably better advertising for the products than a dozen shills.
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Warning: BS'y speculation/wishlisting/slightly off-topic stuff below -----

So Elektron just released the specs and some sound demos for the AR. It sounds pretty good in my opinion. I was lusting so hard for it when it was announced that I ended up getting an Analog Four, which sounded great, but I ultimately could not get behind the workflow so I got rid of it after a month or two.

The AR looks good, and I think the addition of the pads could switch things up workflow wise, but for $1500, I just can't get behind it for one simple reason. No sampling. It plays samples, but you cannot directly sample to it. It's purposely crippled so the MachineDrum and Octa stay relevant. I understand why Elektron would do this, but that doesn't mean I like it. So big deal breaker right there.

So what does this have to do with a $200 prototype machine from Akai? Allow me to speculate and dream.

If Akai releases the Wolf and it sounds good and it sells well, do you think the logical next step would be to combine the Wolf with the functionality of the MPX series? Who here would buy something like the Wolf with added sampling capabilities for ~ $500? Surely it's feasible to think this could be achieved, and there has to be a huge market for something like that. It'd be the poor man's Analog Rytm, but in some respects it'd be better as it could directly sample.

Sorry for the completely speculative post, but whatever, it's GS. I'm sure there are tons of people that would want that. It'd be more or less the perfect drum machine for the price range. An analog ESX with MPC pads and sample chopping? YES PLEASE.
Old 28th March 2014
Gear Nut

Never knew the term astroturfing to describe that practice. Interesting. I always wonder about
the effectiveness of that on the internet as each year passes. I agree in forums it is often very transparent.
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass View Post
Ha! I think most of us are just fooling. These wolf pics are hilarious.
It's not like AKAI made an official announcement of the product, then showed us an empty box; oh hang on, it's just like that.
God bless AKAI etc.
Until Akai put out an audio demonstration, this thread's official slogan should be "Come for the conspiracy theories, stay for the wolves!"

Speaking of conspiracy theories and wolves...

Old 28th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
If Akai releases the Wolf and it sounds good and it sells well, do you think the logical next step would be to combine the Wolf with the functionality of the MPX series? Who here would buy something like the Wolf with added sampling capabilities for ~ $500? Surely it's feasible to think this could be achieved, and there has to be a huge market for something like that. It'd be the poor man's Analog Rytm, but in some respects it'd be better as it could directly sample.

Sorry for the completely speculative post, but whatever, it's GS. I'm sure there are tons of people that would want that. It'd be more or less the perfect drum machine for the price range. An analog ESX with MPC pads and sample chopping? YES PLEASE.
I've been thinking the same thing. The AR is not worth getting when there's no sampling, but a lower-end Akai doing the whole package would definitely be interesting.
Old 28th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think this is way off the mark. Companies these days, even Roland, know that winning at the internet is mandatory for product success. Don't underestimate the gearslutz forum. Type almost any music gear and production related question into Google and a GS hit will be your reward, almost without fail.
This is kind off topic, but do you know google results are not the same for everyone? The fact you spend time on gearslutz makes it more likely to get gearslutz suggestions. Some countries and languages might not get gearslutz forum results at all. Depends on your privacy settings, region, cookies, etc...
Old 28th March 2014
Here for the gear

I disagree. I work for a famous 100+ Year apparel brand with different forums devoted to our brand. There is no pleasing them. Nothing we do is as good as our "vintage" stuff. When we have tried to cater to them it becomes "I will only buy if uses this type of leather or I will only buy if it is available in this special blue and costs Z. We are a factory in order to get prices to an affordable level we need to make a lot of the same item, not everyone's vision of "their perfect item". And whenever we release a new item everyone pores over it and compares to their old vintage stuff. I have a word for this. Measurebators. They get get off on measuring and smugly deducing they still have the "best".

These people get bespoke apparel made for them. They crow about the higher quality. I've ordered the same, and there are obvious problems with the items, but they are overlooked because it is boutique and it is "mine" and special that only a select few have. And what happens when that small brand becomes bigger and more widespread? Suddenly the boosters aren't so enthusiastic now that everyone can get it... and the new stuff isn't as good as theirs from back in the day.

I see it again and again in different industries.. It's human nature I think. Roland is right to disregard most of the comments on here in my opinion. Focus groups with actual professionals to up and coming bedroom producers is the way to go if they actually want valid input.

Quote:

Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by laterthanyou View Post
I have a word for this. Measurebators. They get get off on measuring and smugly deducing they still have the "best".
Nice one! Your first post on GS and you've already contributed a useful word to my vocabulary.
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So what does this have to do with a $200 prototype machine from Akai? Allow me to speculate and dream.

Sticking with the $200 price point I'd rather Akai dumped the synth part and added two or three additional drum voices.
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeahh they could call it the Beat Tiger.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search