The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 19th March 2014
  #1021
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post
It's not trying to emulate a 606.
Where are the sound demos?

Turn up to Messe without a unit that makes sound, blew power rails or some bull**** the night before, and didn't have any recordings of how it sounded before the 'power rails blew'?...sure!

Going to have 3 units making sound a week after Messe, but can't provide any sound demos at Messe, or by now?...yeah, right!
Old 19th March 2014
  #1022
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post
aira is 3x the price. hardly competing with each other.
hardly competing is right

i ordered my RW sight unheard. and according to my contact at sweetwater so did about 30 other ppl
Old 19th March 2014
  #1023
Lives for gear
 
Liquid Legacy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
Why the confusion? Your two quotes aren't contradicting. Nowhere did he say the RW is a 606 emulation. However, it was said during Messe that the RW is inspired by the 808 and CR-78
Old 19th March 2014
  #1024
Gear Addict
 
Aletheia's Avatar
 

Any indication whether or not it has parameter locking? So you can have different tuned voices per-step? I know you can do that with the bass synth but I couldn't find them saying the same thing about the kicks, snares, etc...

That would be a really cool feature.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1025
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Where are the sound demos?

Turn up to Messe without a unit that makes sound, blew power rails or some bull**** the night before, and didn't have any recordings of how it sounded before the 'power rails blew'?...sure!

Going to have 3 units making sound a week after Messe, but can't provide any sound demos at Messe, or by now?...yeah, right!
Seems like half of the new releases/announcements feature products that are in some way unfinished, unpolished, or one-off prototypes. The Sub37…incomplete and a prototype. The Elektron AR…incomplete. Boomstars…one finished, the other incomplete and with only basic functions. So why is it so hard to believe that this…a prototype one-off…could have had an incident that crippled it? Ever work with prototypes? Ever work a convention of this type where you are working up until the last possible minute to at least have something to show? I have. Sh1t happens like this all of the time. This not functioning doesn't make it any less real. Be patient and give them space to sort it out.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1026
227861
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Seems like half of the new releases/announcements feature products that are in some way unfinished, unpolished, or one-off prototypes. The Sub37…incomplete and a prototype. The Elektron AR…incomplete. Boomstars…one finished, the other incomplete and with only basic functions. So why is it so hard to believe that this…a prototype one-off…could have had an incident that crippled it? Ever work with prototypes? Ever work a convention of this type where you are working up until the last possible minute to at least have something to show? I have. Sh1t happens like this all of the time. This not functioning doesn't make it any less real. Be patient and give them space to sort it out.
This is all good. It shows real competition is happening and that means more products for us all. Especially analog stuff. The rush shows the urgency of it all for these companies.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1027
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
So why is it so hard to believe that this…a prototype one-off…could have had an incident that crippled it? Ever work with prototypes? Ever work a convention of this type where you are working up until the last possible minute to at least have something to show? I have. Sh1t happens like this all of the time. This not functioning doesn't make it any less real. Be patient and give them space to sort it out.
I do not believe that they blew a power rail, so that it was able to function, but unable to make sound.

They said they would have sound demos up in a week, of three units playing together. It is therefore not a one-off.

That means that is was making sound, and there is more than one unit.

They could have overnighted one of the other units, if they really did blow the power rail before the show.

If it was making sound, I do not believe that they didn't have any recordings of the sound it makes before the show, that they could provide as examples at the show, or by now.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1028
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 (Dan from Akai) View Post
It's not trying to emulate a 606.
Well give us some sound examples FFS!
Old 19th March 2014
  #1029
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
I do not believe that they blew a power rail, so that it was able to function, but unable to make sound.

They said they would have sound demos up in a week, of three units playing together. It is therefore not a one-off.
False. Logically speaking that could mean the other two were not ready or even built in time for Messe. If they had 2 other working units wouldn't they have brought at least one of them as a backup? I would, from my convention experience. That 3 machine demo will feature three prototypes. Not fully manufacture-able machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
That means that is was making sound, and there is more than one unit.

They could have overnighted one of the other units, if they really did blow the power rail before the show.

If it was making sound, I do not believe that they didn't have any recordings of the sound it makes before the show, that they could provide as examples at the show, or by now.
As stated above if they had more than one working unit they would have brought it. You assume they could have overnighted something but this is again not logical. There would have to be a cost benefit assessment to justify this and you assume it was even possible to overnight something in time from Japan to Germany. Those are some BIG assumptions on your part. If the machine broke 4-8 hours prior to Messe there is no way to overnight something in time. Unless you know of a good teleporter service.

You also assume they should have recordings. But that assumption requires knowing exactly when the machine was ready and to what degree it was working. What if it was working but it did not have the sounds dialed in yet? Why would they record that?
Old 19th March 2014
  #1030
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Legacy View Post
Why the confusion? Your two quotes aren't contradicting. Nowhere did he say the RW is a 606 emulation. However, it was said during Messe that the RW is inspired by the 808 and CR-78
i suppose it was his association of the 606 and a $200 drum machine. my bad
Old 19th March 2014
  #1031
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
You also assume they should have recordings. But that assumption requires knowing exactly when the machine was ready and to what degree it was working. What if it was working but it did not have the sounds dialed in yet? Why would they record that?
If there was really only one unit, and they blew power rails in it, they have had time to fix it and put up sound examples by now.

I don't buy it, there is no reason they couldn't have sound examples for us to hear by now.

If they didn't have the sounds dialled in yet, just say that, don't makeup lies about blown power rails.

EVERYONE wants to hear what it sounds like, just give us some sound examples FFS!
Old 19th March 2014
  #1032
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
I do not believe that they blew a power rail, so that it was able to function, but unable to make sound.

They said they would have sound demos up in a week, of three units playing together. It is therefore not a one-off.

That means that is was making sound, and there is more than one unit.

They could have overnighted one of the other units, if they really did blow the power rail before the show.

If it was making sound, I do not believe that they didn't have any recordings of the sound it makes before the show, that they could provide as examples at the show, or by now.
what if the other units were prototyped on breadboard and were not able to be shipped?

what if they have three units that were not finished being built but were just piles of parts?

what if the other 3 units need a custom chip that they just had one of from the manufacturer that was also a prototype?

What if they built 4 different units with slightly different parts and/or firmware, the one they took to the show was the one they went with, the other 3 need to be reworked in order to bring them to final specs

there are lots of possible reasons

it appears to me that the sequencer is a digital circuit so it plays nicely with MIDI and USB, but the sound generation part is analog, that would explain why the sequencer still worked. If that is the case, I would not be surprised at all if they had 4 different prototypes all in the same housing with the same sequencer but they each have slightly different analog circuits for the drum parts. Things as simple as adding a capacitor or resister can alter the sound quite a bit, look at how the snare on the Volca Beats changes for example with a simple mod

If that's the case they wanted to demo the final version and couldn't but the other 3 will be easy to change over hence the demos in a week
Old 19th March 2014
  #1033
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
And this ^ is adding value to the conversation?
And this ^ is adding value to the conversation?
Old 19th March 2014
  #1034
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
If that's the case they wanted to demo the final version and couldn't but the other 3 will be easy to change over hence the demos in a week
It has been a week already.

We don't need to hear 3 units, 1 will do.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1035
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
It has been a week already.

We don't need to hear 3 units, 1 will do.
This guy apparently can't find his pacifier. Someone please stick something in his mouth.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1036
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
If there was really only one unit, and they blew power rails in it, they have had time to fix it and put up sound examples by now.

I don't buy it, there is no reason they couldn't have sound examples for us to hear by now.

If they didn't have the sounds dialled in yet, just say that, don't makeup lies about blown power rails.

EVERYONE wants to hear what it sounds like, just give us some sound examples FFS!
Lets start off by saying they are not in the business of pleasing you or satisfying your doubts.

They are in the business of making and selling gear. And doing that requires several very complicated processes that very likely did not align in a way that they could have a finished product for NAMM or Messe. So they did what they could, which is rush out the working prototype.

Now if they blew the power in the unit it is also very likely some other part of it went as well. Being a prototype in the early stages it is not very likely they would have a full compliment of replacement parts to fix it.

Now you can continue to go on about the great conspiracy to trick you. But those of us with some insight on how prototypes and proof of concept works can royally screw up your most well considered plans know better.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1037
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
This guy apparently can't find his pacifier. Someone please stick something in his mouth.
Bring out the gimp?
Old 19th March 2014
  #1038
Lives for gear
 
Liquid Legacy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
They said they would have sound demos up in a week, of three units playing together.
I really hope that won't be the only demo/teaser they're gonna give us for now.
I'd much rather hear what one unit sounds like, as I'm only planning on buying one unit... Hearing three units playing on top of each other isn't my idea of a good first demo.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1039
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Lets start off by saying they are not in the business of pleasing you or satisfying your doubts.
So they are not in the business of pleasing customers, or satisfying customer doubts?

OK, whatever you say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Now if they blew the power in the unit it is also very likely some other part of it went as well. Being a prototype in the early stages it is not very likely they would have a full compliment of replacement parts to fix it.
They said they would have a demo of 3 units playing together, in a week.

That means that they have parts for at least the unit at Messe, plus the 3 that they were going to demo in a week (now).

Still we have no sound examples.

Dan should stop posting here, plug the thing in, press record, and upload some sound examples.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1040
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
So they are not in the business of pleasing customers, or satisfying customer doubts?

OK, whatever you say!


They said they would have a demo of 3 units playing together, in a week.

That means that they have parts for at least the unit at Messe, plus the 3 that they were going to demo in a week (now).

Still we have no sound examples.

Dan should stop posting here, plug the thing in, press record, and upload some sound examples.
You really don't know what you are talking about and I don't have to time or inclination to teach you. Good luck buddy.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1041
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
They said they would have a demo of 3 units playing together, in a week.

That means that they have parts for at least the unit at Messe, plus the 3 that they were going to demo in a week (now).

Still we have no sound examples.

Dan should stop posting here, plug the thing in, press record, and upload some sound examples.
You're nuts.. it's Weds.. give it a minute..
Old 19th March 2014
  #1042
Lives for gear
 
Diametro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Bring out the gimp?


"Time goes by so slowly ... For those who wait ... "
Old 19th March 2014
  #1043
Lives for gear
 
djshire's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post

Akai are ****ing pussies for not having sound demos at Messe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Thank you for all the value you've added to the conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
And this ^ is adding value to the conversation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
And this ^ is adding value to the conversation?
Old 19th March 2014
  #1044
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
Old 19th March 2014
  #1045
Lives for gear
 
Sotsirc's Avatar
I've actually heard it. I can beatbox an approximation over the phone for 100 dollars. Any takers?
Old 19th March 2014
  #1046
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
You assume they could have overnighted something but this is again not logical. There would have to be a cost benefit assessment to justify this and you assume it was even possible to overnight something in time from Japan to Germany.
Akai hasn't been based out of Japan for a long time and is not even the same company. It's now run by the same company that owns Numark/Alesis based in the US and they have an office in Germany.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1047
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coven View Post
Akai hasn't been based out of Japan for a long time and is not even the same company. It's now run by the same company that owns Numark/Alesis based in the US and they have an office in Germany.
Still doesn't mean they could have overnighted anything in time.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1048
Lives for gear
 
bil_g's Avatar
 

hmmm...prototype device designed(and possibly built) in the US, taken overseas, reportedly has a problem with power...

unheard of, preposterous...
Old 19th March 2014
  #1049
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
The Akai dude at Messe could have been joking. Or perhaps he was misinformed? Or perhaps he's just a total liar?
Akai 'dude' is Dan, one of the main dudes at Akai, and is also xparis001 in this thread.
Old 19th March 2014
  #1050
Lives for gear
 

It just comes across as a bit shady on Akai's part. In one interview the guy says they had some issue with the power supply, transformer, or something so they couldn't demo it, but other videos at Messe clearly showed it was powered up and working. I can't believe there was no one in the whole company that couldn't have just uploaded some demo MP3s to soundcloud or something.

It seems more likely they couldn't get a correctly sounding prototype done before the show and didn't want to miss the chance to build some buzz.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump