The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by new bee View Post
xparis = daniel from akai

so wheres the audio samples dude?
soooooon.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

when you've fixed the power supply on your mock up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post
soooooon.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
soooooon.
You guys are starting to miss the momentum here, no offence. :(
Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
You guys are starting to miss the momentum here, no offence. :(
angry mob with torches at the door - "We want that Werewolf! NOW!!!!!"
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmoflot View Post
angry mob with torches at the door - "We want that Werewolf! NOW!!!!!"
But I didn't DAWOOOOOO anything wrong!
Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
But I didn't DAWOOOOOO anything wrong!

but i am seriously in need of that drum machine!)

i will still have to wait long time as stuff gets to Russia with a serious delay...
Old 19th March 2014
VST
Lives for gear

I pretty much pre-order anything that is not too expensive that catches my eye. Needless to say I pre-ordered the crap out of the Wolf. I don't really care when it comes out, just that I know I'll get the first batch when it does. If I like the demos I keep it or I can simply call and cancel if it's too sixosixey. It's really a no-brainer if you ask me. There's also a scenario where you get one early and if it's a smash hit you can make money on an item due to unavailability. God speed Akai.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
I pretty much pre-order anything that is not too expensive that catches my eye. Needless to say I pre-ordered the crap out of the Wolf. I don't really care when it comes out, just that I know I'll get the first batch when it does. If I like the demos I keep it or I can simply call and cancel if it's too sixosixey. It's really a no-brainer if you ask me. There's also a scenario where you get one early and if it's a smash hit you can make money on an item due to unavailability. God speed Akai.
+1 already pre-ordered mine
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
i hate it when companies scramble like that to meet artificial deadlines. they take shortcuts. it's all about profit.
All companies seek profits to stay afloat, all projects involve "artificial" deadlines.
Old 19th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Unfortunately Puppy is probably more towards 606 territory.
(Prove me wrong, AKai!!!)
You have no way to know that, but just from looking at the knobs on the Akai, I expect it to be way more versatile than a 606 when it comes to sound shaping.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I expect the Rhythm Wold to be its own sound but I would actually love if this was more 606 than cheap 808/909.
Old 19th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
and a 606 for $200 is bad?
When you can get a Volca Beats for $130, yes it is!
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
This.

But luckily Wolf is gonna be something different, right?!
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll know if that's the case when I start hearing it and can demo it, but the onboard distortion, better sequencing, PADS, and potentially better sounding drums could easily make the $169 I preordered for worth it.

Now, plenty can come out before it's released that could make me cancel my order, but complaining about less than $200 shipped for an analog drum machine AND synth seems pretty petty.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Wow if AKAI are looking in - we can start posting useful suggestions!

Could we have the play button toggle reverse play on the fly? (Like the old yamaha dx200/an200 sequencer)

Please can we have mild distortion/warmth as well as grit and buzz? (not just gabba BD action)

Or a switch to put the diode clipping in the buffer feedback loop (like a Bazz Fuss' diodes) for a different flavour.

It would be great if points were labelled on the PCB e.g. synth CV/GATE outs, filter input, output buffer bias to provide gated/spitty clipping, BD pitch env amount.

It would be great also to have master gate time hold/decay (as on Yamaha AN/DX and Transistor Revolution). I presume the triggers are digitally generated so this could be sweet.

Can we confirm that velocity repsonse affects the analogue triggers or is it implemented through a DCA? It would ideal if MIDI velocity really controlled trigger ACCENT and gave timbral variation/ build up of accent hits if they don't have time to decay.

AKAI please get the decay times offering a lot of range. Don't make a mistake somewhere like the Volca SN!

And as someone suggested, to go really crazy it really should play a little sample of a wolf roaring on bootup. I'd pay $10 extra to have an internal speaker just for that purpose (It could be a tiny 8 bit sample through a resistor DA!). Oh and the picture has no FANGS. we want fangs on the Logo, you know it makes sense.

Thanks AKAI for all the great products. Have you seen the prices of MFC42 on eBay? Damn you should re-issue something like the MFC and take our cash.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Another thought. Implement the volume knob so that you get a bit of drive. Like the Sub phatty - clean gain up to 12 o'clock, then a bit or transistor compression/drive coming in up to max volume. Add the cliipping to that.
You could even voice the instrument outputs to crunch at the top of their output gain - it's one resistor. As long as the buffers drive nicely!
The pads must be mutes too!

Last edited by PorchBass; 19th March 2014 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: pads
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass View Post
Wow if AKAI are looking in - we can start posting useful suggestions!

Could we have the play button toggle reverse play on the fly? (Like the old yamaha dx200/an200 sequencer)

Please can we have mild distortion/warmth as well as grit and buzz? (not just gabba BD action)

Or a switch to put the diode clipping in the buffer feedback loop (like a Bazz Fuss' diodes) for a different flavour.

It would be great if points were labelled on the PCB e.g. synth CV/GATE outs, filter input, output buffer bias to provide gated/spitty clipping, BD pitch env amount.

It would be great also to have master gate time hold/decay (as on Yamaha AN/DX and Transistor Revolution). I presume the triggers are digitally generated so this could be sweet.

Can we confirm that velocity repsonse affects the analogue triggers or is it implemented through a DCA? It would ideal if MIDI velocity really controlled trigger ACCENT and gave timbral variation/ build up of accent hits if they don't have time to decay.

AKAI please get the decay times offering a lot of range. Don't make a mistake somewhere like the Volca SN!

And as someone suggested, to go really crazy it really should play a little sample of a wolf roaring on bootup. I'd pay $10 extra to have an internal speaker just for that purpose (It could be a tiny 8 bit sample through a resistor DA!). Oh and the picture has no FANGS. we want fangs on the Logo, you know it makes sense.

Thanks AKAI for all the great products. Have you seen the prices of MFC42 on eBay? Damn you should re-issue something like the MFC and take our cash.
Thank you for your useful suggestions!

Of course, if we implement them we will have to put the price up to $499. $599, if you want a fang logo.

Love,

Mr. Akai
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
the Akai Wolf has a lot more going for it than the Volca beats for not a lot more cash

It's like getting a Double Cheeseburger Mighty Kids Meal, over a 4pc McNugget Happy Meal. They are both Happy Meals but one has a lot more to sink your teeth
into for just a little more cash

Now if we could just hear what it sounds like
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Not at all .. If its like a 606 I'm excited!

Anyone suggesting the volca beats just doesn't like the 606 enough.
Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
the Akai Wolf has a lot more going for it than the Volca beats for not a lot more cash

It's like getting a Double Cheeseburger Mighty Kids Meal, over a 4pc McNugget Happy Meal. They are both Happy Meals but one has a lot more to sink your teeth
into for just a little more cash

Now if we could just hear what it sounds like

I'm totally with you on that one!

damn can't wait to hear it really...
Old 19th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Now, plenty can come out before it's released that could make me cancel my order, but complaining about less than $200 shipped for an analog drum machine AND synth seems pretty petty.
I wasn't complaining about the Wolf, I was just saying that an hypothetical plastic 606 for $200 doesn't sound that great these days.

I'm all for the RW, and I believe the few voices it has will be way better than the 606/Volca ones.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wasn't complaining about the Wolf, I was just saying that an hypothetical plastic 606 for $200 doesn't sound that great these days.

I'm all for the RW, and I believe the few voices it has will be way better than the 606/Volca ones.
Ah, gotcha
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

I'm really looking forward to... you know...

HEARING

the sound of it. All demos just present the looks. I hear somebody plugged an audio cable into it at Musikmesse and it didn't make a peep.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

only a few more days left in this "next week" to hear it.

Is Akai turning into a Waldorf?
Old 19th March 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coven View Post
Knowing Akai's track record, it's highly unlikely this thing will even be available within this year anyway.
What track record is that?
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
aira is 3x the price. hardly competing with each other.
Two brand new x0x style drum machines from major manufacturers.

Of course they are competing, and would be compared, on their sound quality!

$200 vs $500...massive price difference? Means they are not competing with each other in terms of sound quality?

Akai are ****ing pussies for not having sound demos at Messe.

Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by new bee View Post
xparis = daniel from akai
Well at least we now know that the Wolf is aiming to emulate the 606.

I'm still excited to hear samples!

TR8 + Wolf =$700 for drum machine madness. Love it.

Regards,
Frank
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Well at least we now know that the Wolf is aiming to emulate the 606.

I'm still excited to hear samples!

TR8 + Wolf =$700 for drum machine madness. Love it.

Regards,
Frank
It's not trying to emulate a 606.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Got to love AKAI for giving us a proper distortion circuit instead of a crap onboard DSP reverb/delay!
Could they not give the wolf logo an LED 'eye' that flashed with tempo? One of the Shruthi boards does that, it would be SWEET.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
It's not trying to emulate a 606.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search