The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Well the rep did say these are easily mod-able so we'll see many iterations with individual outs and new tuning options. He said the board was clearly marked and has points from which to do it for those who are inclined.

Basically this is the new Monotribe in that regard. I'm still debating having my Monotribes upgraded....
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmoflot View Post
yes... i can see customised Wolves all over the place... different knobs, custom faceplates... more than that some classy mahogany wood sides.... yes yes yes...
It will be great to see what we can make of it... surely another thread ought to be created for the mods of the Wolfie!
this will be very cool to bend with a break out box, if individual outs are an easy bend marked on the PCB which it should be, then running those out to a break out box with a patchbay and effects should be fun and easy. I am thinking of installing 3 din/midi sockets to patch the audio out to the breakout box. One for kick drum and bass synth, one for the snare and percussion, and the other for the hats

for the break out box itself I am thinking a broken Atari 2600 six switch woody would be a great housing, it already has six switches that can be used, and has lots of space inside, and a large flat front to mount things to. Making a patchbay on one side for the outs with 1/4" sockets, then I will place a few cheapie Behringer delay and reverb pedals inside with the pcbs removed and mounted inside, with the knobs mounted on top of the unit, and the switch to turn them on and off using one of the six switches, the patchbay for these will be right next to the individual outs and on the other side for the outputs of the pedals.

A monotron and or monotron delay could also be fit inside for filtering and another delay source

I have been thinking about making a break out box like this in an Old Atari case for a long time, this new Akai seems like a good fit for it.

I also wonder what type of glitch bends are hiding inside, especially timing glitches, or noise glitches, if there are some of them, could be cool to wire up a RCA patchbay for them or some toggle switches on the unit itself, looks like there would be space for that on the top right where the logo is
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
great idea. Instead of recording things once and speeding up your workflow you will record each sound individually, one after the other. What a great experience. I stay with my 909, airbase and mpc4000 (and octatrack). Analog/digital postprocessing is the key.

If you guys like this machine, no one will spoil it. For me it is just a big disappointment and wrong market study. Some people will try it and sell it sooner or later, because of its limitations. For any modern electronic genre a no-go. Better to use just battery 4. Same reason why I did not consider the Korg machine. They try to save every little penny. Including individual outs would not have raised the costs a lot. No converters needed, since it's already analog, just ****ing line drivers and dedicated outputs. For just 50$ more, they easily could have included that, but no! Big fail. But please don't open new threads and ask how this guy or that famous guy mixes so great and why his music sounds so great.
Uh... yeah. If you have a 909 this for sure is not a product aimed at you. In fact, you miss the point entirely. Most of the hobbyists out there are probably using software anyway, or a less expensive drum machine of some type. I know from my time in music retail we'd sell 20 Yamaha RX21s before we sold a single TR-909. Companies at this point are just dipping their toes in the water to see what success they can have with an analog product which is why you're seeing a flood of cheaper analog products hit the market. Akai will probably sell a ton of these compared to how many Elektron sells of their RYTM. It's a smart move if they can get the flaws into the sweet spot where users consider them "character traits" instead of garbage.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
Is this really it?
Old 17th March 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Is this really it?
Nope, thank god. I think PES made that as a joke.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 View Post
Not in my experience - The 522 does not sound lo-fi at all. Mine and all others I've heard on youtube are crisp, warm and hifi. There may be some quite low volume noise from the analog circuits - but it's not an issue for me in most cases.

Also, the 522 is similar to the 808 (except the high hats perhaps), and you can tune the bass drum over a wide range, and the clap sounds incredible-and has controls well beyond the 808. And it costs about 10% of the cost of an 808.
Every 522 demo I've ever heard sounds like it's pretty noisey. Link to a good demo?
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
hopefully this week we are going to hear different sounds from the Rhythm Wolf...

and all this pointless crape will finally end...
Yeah, in a sense it pisses me off that Akai even bothered to do any sort of press before they had some audio to show. Come on. If they've gotten this far they surely have a working prototype, no? I'd rather hear sound and some obscure close up choppy video than a bunch of specs and empty boxes. Why doesn't Akai just put some dog poop in a bag, place it on my doorstep and light it on fire?
Old 17th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, in a sense it pisses me off that Akai even bothered to do any sort of press before they had some audio to show. Come on. If they've gotten this far they surely have a working prototype, no? I'd rather hear sound and some obscure close up choppy video than a bunch of specs and empty boxes. Why doesn't Akai just put some dog poop in a bag, place it on my doorstep and light it on fire?
According to those videos they had a problem with the prototype they took to Musik Messe... they weren't clear about it but I wonder how come they didn't shipped a new unit straight away to replace it... anyway, if we hear it this week or the next it's still nothing compared to the AIRA campaign, and at least we know exactly what it is. Just not how it sounds.
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Even though they claim to have been kicking around this idea for years now, I don't believe it. I seriously think this design can't be more than several months old (a year at most) in response to the immense hype of the Volcas.

Whatever. Now they're going to be forced to make it sound decent after letting the dog poop outta the bag.

Didn't they say a week or so after Messe for audio demos?
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
If they've gotten this far they surely have a working prototype, no? I'd rather hear sound and some obscure close up choppy video than a bunch of specs and empty boxes. Why doesn't Akai just put some dog poop in a bag, place it on my doorstep and light it on fire?
Yes! exactly what i was thinking the whole thread... It's hard to imagine that Akai have only one prototype! wolfsh1t! and it happen not to make any sound... what? ...They said they had a technical difficulty and burned some circuits... really? I don't believe a word...
I think they already have it in production

It looks like Akai is just messing with us....

"What if we make an analog drum machine, drop a press release and won't let anybody hear it at the major exhibition and see what happens!"

Well I've been studying marketing Akai! You can't fool all of us!!!!!!

GIVE US THE DAMN SOUND DEMO!!!!!

Because this can get out of hand real quick!!!!

P.S. i do seriously believe that this is a twisted marketing move to kill roland's campaign
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes! exactly what i was thinking the whole thread... It's hard to imagine that Akai have only one prototype! wolfsh1t! and it happen not to make any sound... what? ...They said they had a technical difficulty and burned some circuits... really? I don't believe a word...
I think they already have it in production

It looks like Akai is just messing with us....

"What if we make an analog drum machine, drop a press release and won't let anybody hear it at the major exhibition and see what happens!"

Well I've been studying marketing Akai! You can't fool all of us!!!!!!

GIVE US THE DAMN SOUND DEMO!!!!!

P.S. i do seriously believe that this is a twisted marketing move to kill roland's campaign
last year at the same event Novation came out with the BS2 in prototype form that sounded like crap, my guess is somoeone thought the sound was not quite there and wanted more work on it

this thing seems to have been put together very quickly which means it will have cool glitches to exploit with bends
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Wasn't going to chime in again until sounds came out, but whatever ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRand View Post
I know it might be a bit shallow but it would look so much better if they kept it all black. edit: no grey
I said more or less the same earlier on in the thread. I think most of us will agree that the silver portion of the front panel looks terrible. Here's a terrible 'shop I did in about three minutes at work. Pretty crap but you get the gist.

Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
this thing seems to have been put together very quickly which means it will have cool glitches to exploit with bends
Give it a rest, dude. We all understand your point of view, that it's totally gonna be super shoddy and "Happy Meal" and normally you'd take a huge dump on it but because you're such a pro circuit bender, you think it will be fun to exploit it's crappiness and make awesome like only you can. After all, "you like cheap synths"! WE GET IT.
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
I said more or less the same earlier on in the thread. I think most of us will agree that the silver portion of the front panel looks terrible. Here's a terrible 'shop I did in about three minutes at work. Pretty crap but you get the gist.
I would've left the red dividing lines and just black out the grey only.
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Wasn't going to chime in again until sounds came out, but whatever ---

I said more or less the same earlier on in the thread. I think most of us will agree that the silver portion of the front panel looks terrible. Here's a terrible 'shop I did in about three minutes at work.

I agree! The grey theme is ugly as f&%k!
even your terrible shop looks better than the original

I am thinking of a black/yellow theme for mine.... yellow faceplate/black letterings/black knobs of a better quality, black wooden sides... what else?) oh black pads...))
gotta design it so when it comes in here i will be prepared!!
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
I would've left the red dividing lines and just black out the grey only.
I did at first. Still thought it was kinda ugg so made it black on dark grey. Feel free to open it up in MS Paint and use the paint bucket to make the dividing lines red, it's a pretty poopy Photoshop job to begin with.

At the end of the day how it looks isn't a deal breaker, obviously. Since Akai is pushing the whole modding aspect for this unit, it'd be cool if they released the source files for the front plate so you could get your own colors screenprinted somewhere (but I really doubt that will happen).

If this thing gets really popular, I'm sure a site like StyleFlip will make new covers for it. Not sure how one would go about doing it on their own in the meantime though while maintaining a "professional" look.

Hopefully Akai just gets wise and makes the thing look better before it's released.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth-akaimob.png  
Old 17th March 2014
Here's my 3 minute job. I'd change the knobs out for some white or silver ones if I cared enough and had the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth-brrw.jpg  
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think most of us will agree that the silver portion of the front panel looks terrible. Here's a terrible 'shop I did in about three minutes ...

The logo area looks much better with your paint job. I think Super Wolf would like it.

I also noticed the Wolf doesn't appear to have a fang showing! Not too big mind, but at the moment he looks a bit like my old dog .
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

No fang - no buy.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Okay. New quickie with Plaid Emu's recommendations.

I forgot about the Magic Wand tool the first time around. Did this arguably better version in around the same time using the Wand and just tweaking brightness/contrast, etc.

The silver has gotta go, Akai. YOU HEAR US? IT'S GOTTA GO.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

an earlier prototype??

Old 17th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

^

I think, like mentioned earlier, something as simple as changing the knob caps will make this look much better. Knobs that don't have that cone shape.

The post #964 one looks good. If it ended up like that, gray Elektron knobs would make it belong next to an A4 or Octatrack.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Spazoo...thanks...again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
I think, like mentioned earlier, something as simple as changing the knob caps will make this look much better. Knobs that don't have that cone shape.
You mean like the ones on the MPK series that can easily come off? My cat loves those.
Old 17th March 2014
black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow
please

mutant green RW-8 is badass!!! can i has black and yellow ?))
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since Akai is pushing the whole modding aspect for this unit, it'd be cool if they released the source files for the front plate so you could get your own colors screenprinted somewhere (but I really doubt that will happen).
If they use the front panel image on the user and/or service manual, as they have in the past with the MPCs, then you can open it in Illustrator and use it for a custom front panel.
Old 18th March 2014
any audio examples yet?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
any audio examples yet?
No, just colour examples.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
an earlier prototype??

Splatter
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
an earlier prototype??

This is the Roland, Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) version of the Rhythm Wolf and will cost only 499$.

chrissugar

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search