The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 16th March 2014
  #901
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
like most of the low priced happy meal toys that have come out of the so called analog revival, this puppy had corners cut in build quality and/or features in order to hit a price point

people should embrace that, love the happy meal toys for what they are, and not for hate them for what they are not

cheap price points must be hit, because the mass market really will not buy analog hardware unless it it cheap

the analog revival means cheap products, with cheap plastic builds, and limited features, just look at what Korg has done, and now Akai is doing the exact same thing
i don't disagree with you but by comparison it's rather impressive what the tr-8 offers considering its price... i.e. usb audio interface with individual outs, two assignable analog outputs, two external sound inputs with side chain compressor. plus it is upgradable.

if "the wolf" sounds good, and i suspect that it does, then i think it's a great value. my studio is getting a major upgrade that's for sure. the waiting is the hardest part.
Old 16th March 2014
  #902
Lives for gear
 
Diametro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
how many more years do they need to "test the waters" or "test the market"?

they have done that and cheap is what the mainstream market wants, you really think Akai has not had conversations with large retailers both online and brick and mortar and figured out exactly what is selling and what is not? and what people are asking for?

Look at Korg they make full featured digital instruments that sell for thousands of dollars, yet for analog, it's mini keys, tiny knobs and fake plastic nuts

for the record before I am once again accused of trolling, I love cheap happy meal instruments both analog and digital
I agree to an extent ... but the volcas haven't been out that long ... Clearly, Korg is hitting the bottom of the market first ... But there has been an upward progression from the first monotron ... (There's also a lot of expensive analog toys out there tooo by other (smaller) companies ... )

As for Akai ... I think their presence in the electronic market is still a little nebulous ... From my mind they could get bigger yet or simply disappear ... The market would fill the void immediately ... I think Akai is being cautious with their new adventure and hitting the easiest price point in terms of sales ... It's low-end but seemingly more "pro" than the Volcas, which really haven't impressed me much with their sound, features or anything other than they are "cheap" analog ..

But if you can't see the possible upward trajectory for Akai ... well ... I can ... I also think there's still a real reckoning in the industry whether "analog" is a fad or part of a much larger sweep in the history of electronic musical instruments ...

I think, Grasspike, people would understand your position better if you referred to these instruments as "affordable" (more neutral) rather than "Happy Meal," which indicates you think these products are crap, come with a shiny gimmick and not worthy of 'pro' consumption ... Nobody wants that ... Maybe that's what these products are to some degree ... But it's hard to say when this "Happy Meal" analog market consists of only one manufacturer with actual retail products ...
Old 16th March 2014
  #903
Old 16th March 2014
  #904
Old 16th March 2014
  #905
Lives for gear
 

I know it might be a bit shallow but it would look so much better if they kept it all black. edit: no grey
Old 16th March 2014
  #906
Gear Addict
 
creative69's Avatar
Sorry I couldn't help it!

Old 16th March 2014
  #907
Lives for gear
 

^^^ Just brilliant.


"my daddy was a pimp, my grandpa too"


I hope the lyrics are on the web somewhere.


Yours sincerely,
Super Wolf.
Old 16th March 2014
  #908
Lives for gear
 
anigbrowl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
the analog revival means cheap products, with cheap plastic builds, and limited features, just look at what Korg has done, and now Akai is doing the exact same thing
Apart from Akai building it out of metal, popping 1/4" outputs on it, bidirectional MIDI, and adding velocity-sensitive pads, you're totally right.
Old 16th March 2014
  #909
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative69 View Post
Not sure if this has been already posted
I already made fun of it a couple hundred posts ago.
Old 16th March 2014
  #910
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
People complaining that a $200 drum machine only outputs mono are pathetic.

You press "solo" on the voice you want to record, then press record, then when all your sounds are recorded, you pan and add stereo effects.

SO FREAKING HARD RIGHT?
Kinda. Recording multiple passes isn't rocket science or anything, I do it all the time with my Electribe, but it's a pita really. Totally do-able, and for $200 this box could be fun, so I'm not being critical, just realistic. I'm hoping they release an upgraded mkII version.

Although I find this drum machine very ugly, especially the knobs, I'm thinking they might be fun to turn- easy to grip, rubbery.
Old 16th March 2014
  #911
bry
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
As for Akai ... I think their presence in the electronic market is still a little nebulous ... From my mind they could get bigger yet...
Definitely. If this thing sells well, imagine the drum machine they could make for $400-$500...

I don't see why these 4 or 5 drum voices can't sound as good as any other analog drum machine out there, they seem to have made it cheaper by having less voices, not by making them inferior in quality.

Kind of curious about the bass synth sounds, but if a monotron can sound good...
Old 16th March 2014
  #912
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Apart from Akai building it out of metal, popping 1/4" outputs on it, bidirectional MIDI, and adding velocity-sensitive pads, you're totally right.
really so it has stereo mains, individual outputs, midi in out and through on traditional midi sockets, and sounds fantastic with no hiss

Oh and the mixing section, with built in effects and stereo panning, yeah that's a real nice bonus also, as well as the genuine wood sides

oh wait it has none of those things, it is made out of metal, just like a 99 cent can of beans, so there is that.
Old 16th March 2014
  #913
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative69 View Post
Sorry I couldn't help it!
I can't believe how much I enjoyed that with zero irony!!
Old 17th March 2014
  #914
Gear Head
 
analoggang4lyfe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Just keep in mind that beloved retro synths like the 303 and 606 amongst others were also cheap plastic toys, in many ways much more limited than the volcas.

Did that stop anyone from making great and innovative music with them and turn them into sought after expensive pieces of classic gear?

People got so used to those old plastic toys becoming so ridiculously expensive in the used market that they can't accept the fact that a $200 product can be any good anymore.

Meanwhile some talented kids who can't afford anything else will be making amazing music with these so called happy meal pieces of junk toys.
eh i think this argument is a little ridiculous. a good musician can make any 5 dollar toy piano sound good. with this logic why care about quality or sound at all? why not just head to the thrift store and pick up any electronic instrument they have?
Old 17th March 2014
  #915
Lives for gear
 
BenDayho's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by analoggang4lyfe View Post
eh i think this argument is a little ridiculous. a good musician can make any 5 dollar toy piano sound good. with this logic why care about quality or sound at all? why not just head to the thrift store and pick up any electronic instrument they have?
Sure, i guess, but the idea of dismissing the wolf thingy out of hand because this one annoying dude thinks he's clever by making an analogy to a toy prize in happy meal is equally ridiculous, which is what that 303 comment was a reply to.
Old 17th March 2014
  #916
Lives for gear
 
Praxisaxis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by analoggang4lyfe View Post
eh i think this argument is a little ridiculous. a good musician can make any 5 dollar toy piano sound good. with this logic why care about quality or sound at all? why not just head to the thrift store and pick up any electronic instrument they have?

Sorry, I can't resist...

p.s. I very frequently visit thrift shops to find musical stuff.

Old 17th March 2014
  #917
Lives for gear
 
anigbrowl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
really so it has stereo mains, individual outputs, midi in out and through on traditional midi sockets, and sounds fantastic with no hiss
Things I didn't say, but yes it does have MIDI in and out/thru on traditional MIDI sockets. Doubling up on the out/through to save a few bucks isn't too big of a problem. The individual outs thing has been done to death in this thread already.



Quote:
Oh and the mixing section, with built in effects and stereo panning, yeah that's a real nice bonus also, as well as the genuine wood sides
It's a drum machine with a bass section. I wasn't aware that built in effects were required - indeed that would make it more toy like since it would be a distraction from the core job of synthesizing sounds..

Quote:
oh wait it has none of those things, it is made out of metal, just like a 99 cent can of beans, so there is that.
First you say it's plastic, but actually it's made of metal. Then you compare it to a can of beans, and claim that it doesn't have standard MIDI ports, which it does, in addition to MIDI-over-USB. Perhaps eating all those happy meals you keep referring to is having a negative effect on your brain.
Old 17th March 2014
  #918
Gear Head
 
analoggang4lyfe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
Sure, i guess, but the idea of dismissing the wolf thingy out of hand because this one annoying dude thinks he's clever by making an analogy to a toy prize in happy meal is equally ridiculous, which is what that 303 comment was a reply to.
i agree thats equally ridiculous. i just get tired of hearing that argument thrown around every time someone dislikes cheap/flawed gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Sorry, I can't resist...

p.s. I very frequently visit thrift shops to find musical stuff.

very nice.
Old 17th March 2014
  #919
Gear Maniac
 
PorchBass's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
really so it has stereo mains, individual outputs, midi in out and through on traditional midi sockets, and sounds fantastic with no hiss

Oh and the mixing section, with built in effects and stereo panning, yeah that's a real nice bonus also, as well as the genuine wood sides

oh wait it has none of those things, it is made out of metal, just like a 99 cent can of beans, so there is that.
So much anger and bitterness over a $199 unit no-one has heard! The glass is still half full, bro, come to the bar and be happy with the rest of us.
Old 17th March 2014
  #920
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Things I didn't say, but yes it does have MIDI in and out/thru on traditional MIDI sockets. Doubling up on the out/through to save a few bucks isn't too big of a problem. The individual outs thing has been done to death in this thread already.


so no individual outs, no midi through socket, those mean corners were cut to hit a price point

Quote:
It's a drum machine with a bass section. I wasn't aware that built in effects were required - indeed that would make it more toy like since it would be a distraction from the core job of synthesizing sounds..
so you never put reverb on your snare, or compression on kicks, or delay, the lack of individual outs really limits what effects you can do after the fact


Quote:
First you say it's plastic, but actually it's made of metal. Then you compare it to a can of beans, and claim that it doesn't have standard MIDI ports, which it does, in addition to MIDI-over-USB. Perhaps eating all those happy meals you keep referring to is having a negative effect on your brain.
I guess those fake wood grain side pieces are made of metal then? Or are they plastic made to look like something they are not? and where is the midi through socket? If you can't see the advantage of a midi through socket on a drum machine well I guess you can't see why since there are not individual outs effects would have been nice.

Having said that I dig these cheap happy meal products, creative musicians can work with the limitations and even open them up and bend them to add things not included with the factory build

I have several ideas already on how to bend this, if you can add individual outs you can also add effects, I am actually greatly looking forward to this puppy
Old 17th March 2014
  #921
bry
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
really so it has stereo mains, individual outputs, midi in out and through on traditional midi sockets, and sounds fantastic with no hiss

Oh and the mixing section, with built in effects and stereo panning, yeah that's a real nice bonus also, as well as the genuine wood sides

oh wait it has none of those things, it is made out of metal, just like a 99 cent can of beans, so there is that.
So it's not for you then... I wonder if I'll ever also end up wasting my time talking crap about products that don't appeal to me on internet forums.
Old 17th March 2014
  #922
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by analoggang4lyfe View Post
eh i think this argument is a little ridiculous. a good musician can make any 5 dollar toy piano sound good. with this logic why care about quality or sound at all? why not just head to the thrift store and pick up any electronic instrument they have?

Sorry for intruding, but i felt like i wanted to speak about that point in particular...and my most sincerest apologies for going off-topic and possibly speaking selfishly.

I recently acquired a nanoKontrol and now have a very cheap but usable "setup" so i can make some music with it and the Keystudio 49. It felt really good using them together, and looking up some freeware plug-ins so i can test them, i found myself in a strange moment of low-end epiphany:

"Why, Renoise is only $80 and these two things couldn't have costed more then $150 together...and i can download and use a few free instruments and effects i can get online and use them to my best and have fun!"

Sure i know, not every (free) plugin is great, but i cant really complain, some of them are free and my "setup" costs a max of about $230...i can make some music for my self-enjoyment for cheap and still have a great time, and i dont end up breaking the bank. And some people HAVE in fact used only cheap stuff they got to make great music, so i shouldn't really feel bad i dont have expensive, uber-powerful things, i can still enjoy what i have.

Now, i have nothing against anyone who prefers higher-end gear or equipment with more features and sound palette, they and i can just as much fun using what either prefers.

This Rhythm Wolf is cheap and limited, but i can at least have it (with a little saving up), and i'm sure i can use it to make good stuff if i give it enough practice and dedication. On a personal note, im not really aiming for "high quality" in my music, just self-enjoyment of it and to make what i like most regardless of what it is.

Again, sorry for long, off topic post, i wanted to write
Old 17th March 2014
  #923
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
So it's not for you then... I wonder if I'll ever also end up wasting my time talking crap about products that don't appeal to me on internet forums.
one can only assume since you quoted me, you are talking about me, I guess you missed all my posts where I talk about how much I am looking forward to this, I am not bothered by the limitations in the least, I also look forward to bending it, the $199 price point is very sweet as well
Old 17th March 2014
  #924
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
has anyone posted rhythm wolf audio yet??
Old 17th March 2014
  #925
PES
Lives for gear
 
PES's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
has anyone posted rhythm wolf audio yet??
So far the only sound it's capable of generating is the usual, predictable whining over what it's not.
Old 17th March 2014
  #926
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
So far the only sound it's capable of generating is the usual, predictable whining over what it's not.
hopefully this week we are going to hear different sounds from the Rhythm Wolf...

and all this pointless crape will finally end...
Old 17th March 2014
  #927
Lives for gear
 
BenDayho's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmoflot View Post
and all this pointless crap will finally end...
One thing I have learned is to never underestimate the potential for pointless crap in a GS gear launch thread, sound demo's or not.
Old 17th March 2014
  #928
VST
Lives for gear
 
VST's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRand View Post
I know it might be a bit shallow but it would look so much better if they kept it all black. edit: no grey
Agreed. And the best part is... what ever I end up doing to it, i.e., paint it(which I will do), add outs, mod it..even if I destroy it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. That's why people love cheap instruments, they have the freedom to make them unique which I fully embrace.
Old 17th March 2014
  #929
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Agreed. And the best part is... what ever I end up doing to it, i.e., paint it(which I will do), add outs, mod it..even if I destroy it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. That's why people love cheap instruments, they have the freedom to make them unique which I fully embrace.
+1
Old 17th March 2014
  #930
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Agreed. And the best part is... what ever I end up doing to it, i.e., paint it(which I will do), add outs, mod it..even if I destroy it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. That's why people love cheap instruments, they have the freedom to make them unique which I fully embrace.
yes... i can see customised Wolves all over the place... different knobs, custom faceplates... more than that some classy mahogany wood sides.... yes yes yes...
It will be great to see what we can make of it... surely another thread ought to be created for the mods of the Wolfie!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump