The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Someone bicker with me so I can have my comment deleted for bickering too. I feel excluded.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
Let's all have fun this weekend !!! And make some music ... NOW!

Making music is on hold until the release of this unit :-)
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
Is this demo of the synth? If so how did you get it?
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
IV: I don't understand why people take this synth forum sh-t so seriously
it could be a side effect of long-term synthesizer usage
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Another video

Hmm, the guys says "16 step seq", but Akai's press release states 32 steps. :D
I saw that too. I'm thinking it may be Monotribe-esque, in that the step sequencer will have two triggers per button. This behavior may explain that mysterious shift button that is the subject of such hot debate. Or maybe the feature set isn't locked down yet. Lots of questions left to answer about the Wolf.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

they said at musikmesse it ships in july and audio demos in the next week or two
Old 15th March 2014
Here for the gear

The thing that I am most impressed with with this machine is the "32 step sequencer"
A 32 step sequencer on a small analogue groove box? Wow.
I love the volcas, but if they could have had 32 steps instead of 16?? Or even pattern chaining capability?? Would have been amazing.
I love the monotribe to, but again, only 16 (well, sort of 16, really only 8 to program) steps.
Props to akai for the 32 steps on this box.

Hopefully it will sound pretty good. Pretty good at that price is pretty good.
Old 15th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Another video

Hmm, the guys says "16 step seq", but Akai's press release states 32 steps. :D
I suppose they mean 16 steps for A, and 16 steps for B.

Oh, and he confirmed one can sequence other gear through MIDI. No dedicated tracks though obviously, but duplicates of the ones sequencing the onboard sounds.

At the price, it might even make sense to get one of these just for the sequencer alone. To sequence an MPX16 for example.
Old 15th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
I suppose they mean 16 steps for A, and 16 steps for B.

Oh, and he confirmed one can sequence other gear through MIDI. No dedicated tracks though obviously, but duplicates of the ones sequencing the onboard sounds.

At the price, it might even make sense to get one of these just for the sequencer alone. To sequence an MPX16 for example.
Right. Point being sequence A and B can be set to run sequentially. ( without having to always pull up a memory sequence manually like the volcas)

And I agree on buying for sequencing capabilities.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

For the experts out there, how would you compare the sequencer functionality of the Lupus (er, Wolf) to the Arturia Beatstep?
Old 15th March 2014
Was that really the sound from the wolf? Not really feeling the drums, the bass was alright but not much to it. Would be better off with a TB-3 for that kinda bass. Hope they do a lot of improving before it releases.
Old 15th March 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse381 View Post
Is this demo of the synth? If so how did you get it?
+2
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Guru
No snare in those demos...
Old 15th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

That sound clip was a made-up, subjective interpretation of what the Wolf might be.

(sorry about the confusion)
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Guru
haha.. nice..
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sound clip was a made-up, subjective interpretation of what the Wolf might be.

lol no problem
Old 15th March 2014
at least yours has sound.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

you really nailed the mono part though...
Old 15th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthonicEwes View Post
For the experts out there, how would you compare the sequencer functionality of the Lupus (er, Wolf) to the Arturia Beatstep?
Beatstep looks way more advanced as far as sequencing capabilities.
Actually pretty good package considering it has cv/gate as well as midi.
I guess if your just looking for sequencing, it's a pretty good deal.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Guru
Beatstep is a major letdown since it seems to only sequence pitch.. I was so excited about that thing for 5 mins..
Old 15th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Beatstep is a major letdown since it seems to only sequence pitch.. I was so excited about that thing for 5 mins..
Your right. Hadn't looked at it real close till now. Still okay for sequencing cv/gate on non midi equipment though.
Question is, what all will the wolf output midi sequencing wise?
Old 15th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl45music View Post
Your right. Hadn't looked at it real close till now. Still okay for sequencing cv/gate on non midi equipment though.
Question is, what all will the wolf output midi sequencing wise?
In some of the videos they said you could sequence external gear with the Akai.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Right, and while I kind of dug the noisy lo-fi sound of the MFB-522, it's not an 808 clone, that's for sure.
Not in my experience - The 522 does not sound lo-fi at all. Mine and all others I've heard on youtube are crisp, warm and hifi. There may be some quite low volume noise from the analog circuits - but it's not an issue for me in most cases.

Also, the 522 is similar to the 808 (except the high hats perhaps), and you can tune the bass drum over a wide range, and the clap sounds incredible-and has controls well beyond the 808. And it costs about 10% of the cost of an 808.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

People complaining that a $200 drum machine only outputs mono are pathetic.

You press "solo" on the voice you want to record, then press record, then when all your sounds are recorded, you pan and add stereo effects.

SO FREAKING HARD RIGHT?
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post

You press "solo" on the voice you want to record, then press record, then when all your sounds are recorded, you pan and add stereo effects.

SO FREAKING HARD RIGHT?
like most of the low priced happy meal toys that have come out of the so called analog revival, this puppy had corners cut in build quality and/or features in order to hit a price point

people should embrace that, love the happy meal toys for what they are, and not for hate them for what they are not

cheap price points must be hit, because the mass market really will not buy analog hardware unless it it cheap

the analog revival means cheap products, with cheap plastic builds, and limited features, just look at what Korg has done, and now Akai is doing the exact same thing
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

I think it's called testing the market ... The "analog revival" is still relatively new at least as far as the bigger MI companies go ... (And a lot of musicians probably aren't comfortable buying from a boutique company they've never heard of ... for better or worse ... )

Personally, I don't understand the all the consternation regarding the Rhythm Wolf ...

I'm looking forward to it ... I will make an effort to try it out ... If it seems to offer something I don't already have /need I may purchase ...
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post

SO FREAKING HARD RIGHT?

My thoughts exactly...
Old 16th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Just keep in mind that beloved retro synths like the 303 and 606 amongst others were also cheap plastic toys, in many ways much more limited than the volcas.

Did that stop anyone from making great and innovative music with them and turn them into sought after expensive pieces of classic gear?

People got so used to those old plastic toys becoming so ridiculously expensive in the used market that they can't accept the fact that a $200 product can be any good anymore.

Meanwhile some talented kids who can't afford anything else will be making amazing music with these so called happy meal pieces of junk toys.
Old 16th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
the analog revival means cheap products, with cheap plastic builds, and limited features, just look at what Korg has done, and now Akai is doing the exact same thing
Rhythm Wolf has an all metal chassis and feels pretty solid from the Messe reports. It can sequence external gear with a built in MIDI output (or even over USB) and it's got 1/4" outputs.

Sure the features are limited and we haven't heard it yet but I wouldn't say it's the exact same thing as what Korg is doing.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it's called testing the market ... The "analog revival" is still relatively new at least as far as the bigger MI companies go .
how many more years do they need to "test the waters" or "test the market"?

they have done that and cheap is what the mainstream market wants, you really think Akai has not had conversations with large retailers both online and brick and mortar and figured out exactly what is selling and what is not? and what people are asking for?

Look at Korg they make full featured digital instruments that sell for thousands of dollars, yet for analog, it's mini keys, tiny knobs and fake plastic nuts

for the record before I am once again accused of trolling, I love cheap happy meal instruments both analog and digital

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search