The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

On behalf of all drum machine junkies everywhere, thank you Akai!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

This is very nice, no brainer, really

US$200??

Sometimes you spend more than that on a night out.

If you buy and don't like it, you can always sell it
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobhead View Post
You're in gearslutz, a company releases a $200 drum+bass analog machine and you don't understand the excitement? Of course it matters it's analog.
It is some Aira fanboy thing he has going, he wants to run over to the Aira thread and tell everyone how no one here cares about the sound.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

More than anything else, I'm VERY pleased to see that Akai / Numark / Alesis are making something other than yet another generic MIDI controller! This is an intriguing development, looking forward to hearing demos!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Analog gear allows us to reconnect to our childhoods, a time of simplicity and innocence, it has a massive emotional draw, from a time before we grew up and the world became cold and digital.
I didn't think you were old enough to sound like an old f**t.

D.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

What? Yes!

Go Akai!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Crap! Suddenly i'm not that interested in the volca beats. Glad i waited last to get the beats volca.
Of course it has swing, its akai. Man the bass has very simple controls. There's not much to it. Cannot wait to hear it.

Whats going on roland?
Old 10th March 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
Dude, with all the action you'll get from an analogue drum machine, you'll get the clap in no time
Boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and... Wait no pants?
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftree View Post
I'm excited about the Wolf on the basis of workflow.
exactly!

my bad with the drum machines is that i find it daunting to program them... too many functions and i get frustrated... i tried hard with my miserable dr-202... and the monotribes are way too simple.
and i never wanted a particular ?0? sounds...
i need it simple but at the same time I don't wanna go volca for drums...

and the picture does look like a CG
no?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

with the hookers outside the convention center
Old 10th March 2014
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmoflot View Post
and the picture does look like a CG
no?
Yep, it's a render.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
You need approval?
I was just curious to know what all the excitement was based on.
I now know.
Nothing matters but the fact it's analog.
Haha, I don't think you know otherwise you wouldn't have come of the Aira thread to post this. You know brand loyalty is a form of blindness, or don't you see?
Roland has got a bit of bashing I agree, but why do you care so much?

Every new instrument that comes onto te market I applaud, the more the merrier. You've become a marketing tool or you are a really good troll

Just let it go and have fun with whatever you decide to buy

Can't wait to hear the wolf howl!
Old 10th March 2014
Old 10th March 2014
It's kinda pretty. That's not all that matters but if all things being equal, and in this case they are not, because one is analog, one is digital, it matters a little. It looks like a piece if hardware. The wood and all.

I'm enjoying all of this undercutting. I'm sure Akai gladly waited for the news and hype to relax a little for the Roland stuff, and then dropped this knockout $200 offer on the table.

Perhaps it will be kinda lame?We all know you get what you pay for. But perhaps there is more from Akai on the way and their goal with this unit is not huge profit, but rather to get an Akai in as many homes and studios as possible.

What's next? If this is $200, what's the WolfXL gonna be like for $600 or $800?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
You need approval?
I was just curious to know what all the excitement was based on.
I now know.
Nothing matters but the fact it's analog.
Sorry but if Aira was analog it would be on my list. It's not analog so i pass. Not because it's bad. It's okay but i could care less and other companies are making true analog instruments. Why would i bother ?

When Roland will understand that they will have my money.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Oh HELL YES.

$100 for an 8 channel mixer and clip launcher. HELL YES.

Dreams of a 32 channel live mixing surface may have just got a lot more real. Buy 4 of these things for just $400? YES PLEASE.
Old 10th March 2014
SDC
Gear Addict

The excitement of some of you folks it's hilarious.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

I think if I were using that to control NI battery 4 I would get confused as to whether I was looking at the screen or the controller

Last edited by pandar; 10th March 2014 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: im dumb
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Akai is on God mode for musikmesse !
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
What's next? If this is $200, what's the WolfXL gonna be like for $600 or $800?
the XL better be an analog drum machine with MPC style sampling...that would be dope
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC View Post
The excitement of some of you folks it's hilarious.
Yeah but you too cool for school trolls are even funnier.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Seeing that the 1st mpx (8 pad one) is £80, they could graft that sampling functionality into this unit, maybe add a couple digital LFO's, and well undercut Elektron in price.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX View Post
Sorry but if Aira was analog it would be on my list. It's not analog so i pass. Not because it's bad. It's okay but i could care less and other companies are making true analog instruments. Why would i bother ?

When Roland will understand that they will have my money.

Pretty much this. I have a Machinedrum, a Kawai XD-5, and an Octatrack (on backorder). I'd like an actual analog drum unit, but don't want or need another digital drum machine. For less than one TR-8, I can pick up the new Akai and a Volca Beats and have actual analog drums instead of a very good facsimile. I'm not even that hung up on analog, I'd just like it as a spice in my studio.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
SO pleasing to see Akai / Numark making some "real" hardware, and not just "dumb" MIDI controllers any more. This and the Rhythm Wolf look useful... per sample ENVS and FILTERS! The last one had neither of these features, these are huge additions. Let's hope the pads are velocity sensitive?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
But Akai, please change the name before release. :D

"Rhythm Wolf"? How ****** is that?
Jesus H Christ, who cares. With that product/price they can call it Barry Manilow for all I care. Individual outputs would be nice, but since this looks to be about the same size as a magazine or large book modding it should be easy...equally important for people who want to tweak the sound.

I don't need to hear it (although I hope they have one at Messe for demos) to know that I will be buying this. It has win written all over it. The interface loks perfect and even if I don't love the sounds it would just be a matter of slamming them through some good effects to sex them up. But I strongly suspect that I will like the sounds. The bass section is very obviously going for 303 territory. It just has Classic written all over it.

This is going to put a real dent on Korg Volca sales - I don't think any the less of Korg or the Volca range, but drums + bass in a large format for $200 is a no-brain purchase. As for Roland...well, I said they should go analog. If they had, their reputation would have produced plenty of sales at the Aira price points. But since they chose to go VA, I think they just woke up to a 50% drop in projected sales of the TR-8 and TB-3. This is a devastating move by Akai. I'm amazed and impressed.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
Holy ****!
This, for 200? And people still doubt Analog polys can be done for sub 1k?
Erm, DSI Tetra has been out for years sub 1k.

The real question is whether any company (other than DSI) wants to put the R&D money into making a poly without CEM/SSM/Roland chips, or indeed putting money into making new ones.

(I've heard it suggested that Elektron are using remakes of the SSM 2164 chip for instance)
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Can you believe I STILL haven't received a cease and desist order from Roland over this video?

yes

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search