The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 14th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Exactly. Put a snare into a reverb device and leave the kick and hihats out.

Digression:

Sometimes limitations can be good too.

I got an MFB 522. Initially it's a stereo-panned kit. It also has individual outs for most sounds.

For one work in progress I recorded the whole thing into one mono track though. Meant as a sketch maybe - it was a long time ago and I don't quite remember. Anyway, I picked up working on the piece not long ago, and decided I'd keep the recorded drum track.

Mono.

First I had to equalize it, since it wasn't properly balanced. At all. Then I ran it hot through an Analog Four to saturate off some of the transients. Applied a little bit of delay from the A4 too, controlled by a knob throughout the re-recording.

Did the same with the A4's reverb, twisting a knob controlling the amount at the snare hits, leaving it dry otherwise.

Then, once in the DAW, ran it through EQ again and did a tiny bit of send to a reverb just to get the whole kit a room.

I'm not saying the end result would impress anyone. But at least the "forced" (I could have re-recorded it to separate tracks if I wanted to) alternative approach gave it a different sound than if I had everything recorded separately, in the proper way.

The road getting there was quite enjoyable too, committing to the faults of the original recording, making the best out of the situation.

If the wolf arrives at my home, I will approach it in a similar way. And rather use other instruments when I need to apply an LFO to pan my kick or have hats alternate between the ears.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear
what is g-

Old 14th March 2014
Finally!!! Airwolf!
Awoooooooo!
Old 14th March 2014
Old 15th March 2014
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 15th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
Yea that's with the good culture
Old 15th March 2014
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Rhythm Wolf, Dancing Bear... likely will have to get both.

Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

I AM THE WOLF
Old 15th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
you're just making stuff up. next you'll say you can subjectively hear it.
musikmesse032.wav
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
thank you! contrary to some opinions, i don't hate the wolf. how could i, at present it's merely a concept. if this is indeed a soundfile of the wolf, then it's ok. the drums sound a bit toyish-nothing wrong with that...it is what it is. would be cool in the right context. the 303 has the right timbre but it's hard to tell from a single sound clip what it's capabilities are.

again, thank you.

( and boy is it MONO! )
Old 15th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
( and boy is it MONO! )
musikmesse037.wav
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
ah, the strolling musician plug-in....

;-)
Old 15th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
ah, the strolling musician plug-in....
Hehe, yep!

(Or three Akai people running around with a unit each, making that triple woof demo the rep was talking about in the first Messe video.)
Old 15th March 2014
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
By comparison, the Rhythm Pup..Wolf thread is light years ahead of the Roland thread. A week after the Aira announcement, people still thought the Aira was going to be analog
...and they still think that ACB means it is modelling individual electronic components, and running them as a realtime circuit simulation.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Another video

Quote:
This one right here is a prototype... ehm... soo... this one actually is in the process of being developed to make sound.
-Dude in the video
Hmm, the guys says "16 step seq", but Akai's press release states 32 steps. :D
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

Standing ovation for Akai please for making what is easy look easy, you know what I mean Roland! Tempest for the masses
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

I thought I would join in on all the fun but I see there is so much bickering
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac
All of those that are complaining haven't realized the price point. nothing else compares in that area so comparisons are useless.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

I had this euphoria feeling when i saw the marketing bulletin from AKAI.
I said this is great, analog machine with midi and CV gate, ..
At 199 USD its almost steal and free, i will buy it just for the connections. The same with mother 25 notes keyboard from AKAI, again CV gate and fantastic quality. We have to encourage and applause AKAI for this direction and decisions they take.
Well done, as for the sound ... we have to wait and hear.. see!
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexkon View Post
All of those that are complaining haven't realized the price point. nothing else compares in that area so comparisons are useless.
A last thought before leaving this epic thread. See, I know it is verrry difficult to follow such abstract thoughts like:

"I am disappointed that AKAI made it the way it is, I would have preferred a little bit more expensive machine with single outs."

You could answer: "Ok, I agree" OR "I don't care for those extra features but rather prefer the low price". That's fine. IT's NOT about not understanding that 200$ does not allow these features. I know, I know, hard to follow these discussions.

When I said "mono=garbage" it is just my opinion. Did I say, you cannot make music with garbage? Of course you can! Just take a trash can and a stick and you can make nice rhythms on it. No intentions to stop you guys from your next purchase.

Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Or does it?

These are my thoughts on Akai's Rhythm Wolf ...

1) Unless it's a spectacular bomb, there will most definitely be a "pro" version, like many have said, with individual outputs, etc. ...

B) If the sound is better than good, I don't think users will mind tracking out the individual sounds ... (How long can it possibly take?)

Thirdly, I like mono sounds ... I like hard-panning them left and right ... I still use stereo signals along with mono ones ... Part of creativity is coming up with your own approach ...

IV: I don't understand why people take this synth forum sh-t so seriously ... I think part of the problem is the back-and-forth that just snowballs into this giant raw boulder of emotions ... Better than a train wreck because it's a people train wreck ...

Let's all have fun this weekend !!! And make some music ... NOW!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search