The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

I want to hear it. Mono is fine with me. The bass synth will be the decider for me.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

well, there are two outs on the wolf, seems odd not to make it a stereo pair. pan your sounds hard L/R and you have 2 mono outputs if you choose.

seems like a lapse in design...
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Again 200 bucks and complaining about individual outputs is stupid.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
...because this bears repeating.
Old 13th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
well, there are two outs on the wolf, seems odd not to make it a stereo pair. pan your sounds hard L/R and you have 2 mono outputs if you choose.

seems like a lapse in design...
They'd need to include lots of pan pots. Might as well have separate outs then.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Because adding panning functionality (more circuitry, more knobs) would have added to the costs.
They obviously designed the unit with the $/€ 200 price tag in mind.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Invariably people will bitch about something. If it was more fully featured, but cost more, people would complain about the price. Less fully featured and cheaper, people complain about the lack of features.

Hell, it could be $1 and the most fully featured drum machine ever, and someone would bitch that it doesn't come in mauve.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

Suppose to be a cheap analog machine, for 200 bucks ...well has many great futures. Let's hear the sound to
But when you get CV gate, midi, analog and samples we dont have to complain.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
I want to hear it. Mono is fine with me. The bass synth will be the decider for me.
Agreed.
Old 13th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Will be interesting to see how many people will buy a drum synth where you can not have an LFO affect the panning of the kick.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Did AKAI ever release an analog before?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Personally, I'm not bothered by drum machines having a single output, especially when they are done dirt cheap. Neither my TR-606, Monotribe and Volca Beats has been a hindrance to my workflow. When I started making music years ago, it was all on a Tascam 4-track recorder and I had literally had to multitrack everything in separate takes. Even worse, I had to bounce tracks on top of each other, adding extra tape hiss and noise. Discovering DAWs and being able work with MIDI within a program was truly a blessing and no matter how limited a instrument is, it's still easier than all the extra work I had to do with a 4-track to get things right.

But anyway, there's a handful of great songs I can think of that had single tracked drums with minimal production tricks. This one in particular comes to mind using the TR-606.

Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

sorry peeps, i don't agree. the additional circuitry needed for stereo would be minimal at the design stage and there's already a shift button which means a single knob could be multi-functioned to 'pan' very easily. this isn't new space-age technology.

even at $199, i feel it's a serious lapse and i wouldn't be surprised if it was addressed before the july shipping date. guess we'll see....
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
They are not new in the business
We have to see anyway or hear first
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
The bass synth will be the decider for me.
As long as I can use it as a sketch pad (like first 15 secs of my fav below), im not bothered.

Old 14th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
...because this bears repeating.
Old 14th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
sorry peeps, i don't agree. the additional circuitry needed for stereo would be minimal at the design stage and there's already a shift button which means a single knob could be multi-functioned to 'pan' very easily. this isn't new space-age technology.

even at $199, i feel it's a serious lapse and i wouldn't be surprised if it was addressed before the july shipping date. guess we'll see....
It's an analogue machine. The knobs are actually potentiometers. Variable resistors that are part of the circuits generating sound. The shift button would be of no help there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog1 View Post
Suppose to be a cheap analog machine, for 200 bucks ...well has many great futures. Let's hear the sound to
But when you get CV gate, midi, analog and samples we dont have to complain.
We don't get half of what you mentioned, but still no reason to complain I think.

Machine looks good, and yeah, looking forward to hear it.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Not a drum machine.

And the XR-10 and XR-20 aren't anything stellar..
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
But anyway, there's a handful of great songs I can think of that had single tracked drums with minimal production tricks.
love that song... that's basically what my high expectations are of the Wolf. Simple little new wave box..
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

Akai seems to listen the analog fans and its just a good thing.

Anyway we have say WELLDONE , we need analog machines.

I'm not a purist to the analog, but if i had to chose a new drum machine i will consider something with analog synnthesis and samples.
Old 14th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
The Akai AX60 is an awesome poly analog synth.
Old 14th March 2014
AX80 + AX60

Sound awesome. Have them both. Very unique sound.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
Hey Akai... so you are selling a device that makes sounds but not showcasing those sounds in a place where you should be doing exactly that... um WHY?
The unit on the Messe was not hooked up to headphones or speakers - it was a prototype according to the same rep in the video.

They also were caught by surprise by this, sort of.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Your mixes will always sound cheap with a mono output
i have a pile of old 45s in my closet that say you're wrong - motown, aretha, beatles, stones, etc etc - you know, "cheap" stuff

also all my guitars and basses have one lousy mono output - what's up with that? - how in the world do i ever manage to make them stereo?

it's not just what you have it's what you do with it - and sometimes, the simpler something is, the more you can do to it post-output
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
It's an analogue machine. The knobs are actually potentiometers. Variable resistors that are part of the circuits generating sound. The shift button would be of no help there.
so far we've seen a video of a non-functional box and yet, somehow, you can tell me how the circuitry works and what is possible and what isn't.

you're just making stuff up. next you'll say you can subjectively hear it.

what is the shift button purpose then....
Old 14th March 2014
Quote:
so far we've seen a video of a non-functional box and yet, somehow, you can tell me how the circuitry works and what is possible and what isn't.

you're just making stuff up. next you'll say you can subjectively hear it.

While it may be ridiculous some of us are crazy about what Akai has shown I can say speaking for myself I respect and like the little that I've seen.

This is the polar opposite of Roland. Roland tried to pull a fast one on everyone, delaying their announcement to build hype and announce what they feel was groundbreaking. Like it was going to take over the industry and be this new wonderful thing. Like we're not worthy to see it in it's fullness so they only invited a select few at NAMM to view it. Showed a demo with a lot of it concealed and even to the point the audio was thrown through a high pass filter to mask the full sound.

Akai on the other hand has done everything right. It may only be a prototype but they've taken it out and shown what they are working on and showed you everything they have even if it doesn't actually play any audio yet. They are showing that they have plans to make an analog because they know that's what a lot of people would like to see from more manufacturers. Not tricks no bs just showing what they currently have. And to me that means more than Roland's games.

Yes we need to hear it but so far I respect their actions as a company.

ACB may sound good but besides the point some of us were asking for an analog, not a new form of digital.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
meaning, the universe is digital.

beautifully ironic...
You are assuming its running on a human os?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 14th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's for secondary button functions (labelled by gray fields with black text in them). Sequencer-related (=software) functions.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
the best he can do is to refuse the job and not put his name on it. .
Why would any mix engineer refuse paying work because you used a drum machine without separate outputs? It is not MY job to tell the musician what instrument to play, especially not at the mixing stage. That just doesn't make any sense, and a pointless battle. I am happy to do the best I can with whatever the client gives me… In fact in most cases I'd prefer a mono track of drum machine over an endless stack of bull**** made in Fruity Loops or whatever…but I would turn down neither job on that basis alone.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

cdm has a pretty good hands on article for a machine with no sound.
Hands on with Akai's $199 Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine, More Details - Create Digital Music

Quote:
What will it sound like? Both the drum set and sounds are said to be something new. The drum engine – with kick, snare, hats, and “percussion” – is a new analog engine that draws inspiration from the 808 and CR-78, we hear from the engineers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search