The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th March 2014
  #691
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

You guys are killin' me.

I think I need to listen to some relaxing wolf music.

Old 13th March 2014
  #692
Lives for gear
 
pinkerton's Avatar
 

combine a few of these in a box with a gotharman....

3 wolf demoon.
Old 13th March 2014
  #693
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Are they? Is it?

Is there some rule in the acoustic world that says drum overheads must be stereo, that there is no other way?

And that the room sound has to be recorded, in stereo, and added to the mix, in stereo?


<DELETED BY MODERATOR>

You have said you are not interested, and that you are not the target market for this box, so not really sure what you are trying to do, or why you are trying to convince everyone else that they must think and work the same way you do.
my God ...

<DELETED BY MODERATOR> I am not trying to convince you. If people believe and argue, everything should be mono and make all kind of dumb comments about what setup is sufficient bla bla, then they first should read something like the link below. Saying overheads could me mono ...

Stereophonic sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb0...drummiking.asp

Not interested in any discussion with you and the others trolls. Remember!
Old 13th March 2014
  #694
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
i hope that adding individual outputs will be as easy as some people think because i am planning on buying one of these units but until someone makes it happen i'm going to remain skeptical because akai certainly had a reason for not implementing it.
The rep hinted pretty hard that this is an easy to mod box. Not sure why people are being such c*nts about it. Yes you will be able to achieve individual outs.

And yeah as I said before....it sequences external gear via MIDI and gate trigger...for $200, as said in the interview.
Old 13th March 2014
  #695
Lives for gear
 
Seccione's Avatar
 

Dear Synthpark,

I'm pretty sure you are the only person in this thread making rock music (or similar).

This drum machine is not for you.
Old 13th March 2014
  #696
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
my God ...

why so silly and ignorant? I am not trying to convince you. If people believe and argue, everything should be mono and make all kind of dumb comments about what setup is sufficient bla bla, then they first should read something like the link below. Saying overheads could me mono ...

Stereophonic sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Recording Drums

Not interested in any discussion with you and the others trolls. Remember!
<DELETED BY MODERATOR>

As others have said, kick and snare are usually mono and panned centre.

There is no rule that says anything has to be in stereo.

No one is saying that everything has to be in mono, you seem to be saying that everything has to be in stereo.

This isn't a stereo drum machine, it is mono, you know it, you are not interested in it.

So what is left, what is the point of you arguing this **** in here, if not trolling?

It is a $200 drum machine with a mono output, that's what it is, if you don't like it, and don't want to buy it, you don't have to.
Old 13th March 2014
  #697
Gear Guru
Just gotta say.. that thing didn't break..
Old 13th March 2014
  #698
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
ok, its like 98% mono plus some crosstalking going on. i hope its clear what my point was, if not well i give up.
Old 13th March 2014
  #699
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesS!eR35 View Post
ok, its like 98% mono plus some crosstalking going on. i hope its clear what my point was, if not well i give up.
It reads that is it recorded/mixed in mono, and has a little bit of stereo effects added.
Old 13th March 2014
  #700
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Just gotta say.. that thing didn't break..
Yep, most likely they didn't want it to go up against the Aira boxes in a sound comparison.
Old 13th March 2014
  #701
Lives for gear
 
APHELEON's Avatar
 

I guess all those classic mono drum breaks we have been chopping up since the dawn of the detuned unverse were just figments of our unprofessional imaginations...
Old 13th March 2014
  #702
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MesS!eR35 View Post
ok, its like 98% mono plus some crosstalking going on. i hope its clear what my point was, if not well i give up.
well you chose to emphasize MONO in all caps, and nitpicking the details is what people do here.

to your point... i agree the portishead album sounds great. thanks for bringing it up because i've not heard that album in ages and it's worth another listen.
Old 13th March 2014
  #703
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
You guys are killin' me.

I think I need to listen to some relaxing wolf music.

Screw relaxing, it's all about howling like a maniac while on top of a van.

Old 13th March 2014
  #704
Gear Head
 
b3nway's Avatar
 

Individual outputs...
I did the modification on my roland tr 606, so why not here?
Old 13th March 2014
  #705
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
well you chose to emphasize MONO in all caps
haha i thought MONO looks better than mono. meaning stays the same though. anyhow, great music that album..
Old 13th March 2014
  #706
Lives for gear
 
anigbrowl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Drums are always mono at the source. In fact, most every signal starts off in mono at the source and gets artificially stereo-ized somewhere downstream.


Many (most?) engineers will also record a stereo overhead of the whole kit using small-diaphragm cardioids as well as miking the individual drums with dynamic mics, FYI.
Old 13th March 2014
  #707
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Dear Synthpark,

I'm pretty sure you are the only person in this thread making rock music (or similar).

This drum machine is not for you.
I'm doing rock (indie) also, along with a few other genres, I often use drum machine samples for guitar stuff. In fact, the wolfy might work well for me in that regard if it's a bit lo-fi, but it also needs to have some power to it, at least with eq and comp.

Old 13th March 2014
  #708
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
You are being the silly and ignorant troll here.

As others have said, kick and snare are usually mono and panned centre.

There is no rule that says anything has to be in stereo.

No one is saying that everything has to be in mono, you seem to be saying that everything has to be in stereo.

This isn't a stereo drum machine, it is mono, you know it, you are not interested in it.

So what is left, what is the point of you arguing this **** in here, if not trolling?

It is a $200 drum machine with a mono output, that's what it is, if you don't like it, and don't want to buy it, you don't have to.
The problem with trolls is that they cannot read arguments or try to ignore them.

I said that for a little more money Akai could have included those outputs. I did not say it can be done with 200$. Some people even have problems to make a distinction here. Yes, I would be very interested in some basic cheap drum machine with a good sound which allows me to run through an analog mixer.

Mono or stereo is not even the main argument. You want panning, you want independent EQing, effects etc.

Why do I need to explain to you the most basic things? And rock music was just to mention that I do mixing. For producing, I am into techno and other stuff.
Old 13th March 2014
  #709
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Mono or stereo is not even the main argument. You want panning, you want independent EQing, effects etc.

Why do I need to explain to you the most basic things? And rock music was just to mention that I do mixing. For producing, I am into techno and other stuff.
You are the one carrying on about it not being stereo.

Add individual outputs to it, or buy something else.

It is what it is.

It is that basic.
Old 13th March 2014
  #710
227861
Guest
Again 200 bucks and complaining about individual outputs is stupid.


Also I'm pretty sure there will be another model along after that will probably step up in price and features. This is the baby step for Akai. They appear to be following Korg's lead, the only difference is Akai is a pro when it comes to drum machines.
Old 13th March 2014
  #711
Lives for gear
 
anigbrowl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Is there some rule in the acoustic world that says drum overheads must be stereo, that there is no other way?
There are many other ways, but the popularity of this one stems from the fact that humans generally hear with two ears. If you're standing in front of someone playing a drum kit there's certainly a spatial component to what you hear although I think this is less and less important as you go farther away from acoustic timbres.
Old 13th March 2014
  #712
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
There are many other ways, but the popularity of this one stems from the fact that humans generally hear with two ears. If you're standing in front of someone playing a drum kit there's certainly a spatial component to what you hear although I think this is less and less important as you go farther away from acoustic timbres.
There is no rule, even if it is popular.

Plenty of good music has been created in mono.

It is really about the music, not whether it is stereo or mono.
Old 13th March 2014
  #713
Gear Guru
Off topic - moded 606's are overrated... Sounds better if you leave it alone.
Old 13th March 2014
  #714
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post


Many (most?) engineers will also record a stereo overhead of the whole kit using small-diaphragm cardioids as well as miking the individual drums with dynamic mics, FYI.
True. No conflict with what I stated.
Old 13th March 2014
  #715
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
You want panning, you want independent EQing, effects etc.
And there's nothing stopping you from having that.

If you are really that averse to sampling or tracking out the sounds coming out of the box, then you have made your purchase decision. Don't get me wrong, you're perfectly entitled to your workflow preferences; I certainly have mine...
Old 13th March 2014
  #716
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
There are many other ways, but the popularity of this one stems from the fact that humans generally hear with two ears. If you're standing in front of someone playing a drum kit there's certainly a spatial component to what you hear although I think this is less and less important as you go farther away from acoustic timbres.
i'm pretty sure our ability to approximate the direction of sound is left over from the days when humans where hunted by dinosaurs. nobody is going to die if they don't hear a kick drum and some metallic percussion minus a clap in stereo.
Old 13th March 2014
  #717
Lives for gear
 
BenDayho's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
There is no rule, even if it is popular.

Plenty of good music has been created in mono.

It is really about the music, not whether it is stereo or mono.
Speaking of which was listening to the mono masters of the beatles Rubber Soul. Pretty dope.
Old 13th March 2014
  #718
Lives for gear
Can someone please post up a pic of the poor grieving "individual out widows?"
Old 13th March 2014
  #719
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
I think any drum machine should at least have panning and stereo out for percussion and Toms. Sits in a mix much better.

This layout kind of reminds me of the Quasimidi 309.

I don't quite understand why this akai and the Volcas have to be so cheap and dumbed down. There is a big gap between these and the Elektrons, maybe an extra $100 for stereo outs and a proper sequencer would still sell well.
Old 13th March 2014
  #720
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I think any drum machine should at least have panning and stereo out for percussion and Toms. Sits in a mix much better.
true... and the Wolf doesn't have either..
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump