The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

(yes hi, a complete noob to gearslutz here)

A few people have criticised the name of the unit in this thread. I initially also thought "pretty lame Milhouse", but then I realised how ingenious the name is!

I think what Akai wanted is to give the Rhythm Wolf a cheesy, ironical & retro cool image with the name.. which fits perfectly the looks department of this little machine. Stylishly it's right there in with what Lazerhawk and Miami Nights 1984 are doing musically.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Hello.

Please learn to either solder or record multiple drum takes (it's like an extra few minutes, go and get a cup of tea whilst the MIDI is rendering)

If you keep bitching and moaning at companies because every single feature isn't included in their miraculous, cost effective, easily mod-dable, inclusive analogue products (or perhaps you'd like analogue to be the sole preserve of rich, older, distinguished gentlemen?) then said companies may stop bothering.

Us younger slutz like the opportunity to buy something with some analogue mojo for a reasonable price, and not all of us are making cookie cutter EDM.

Let's wait for the demo's, everyone chill, and get your cheap $10 dollar soldering irons ready, you might even learn something fun
listen to this guy, he talks sense ^^
Old 13th March 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

Drums are always mono at the source. In fact, most every signal starts off in mono at the source and gets artificially stereo-ized somewhere downstream.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Hello.

Please learn to either solder or record multiple drum takes (it's like an extra few minutes, go and get a cup of tea whilst the MIDI is rendering)

If you keep bitching and moaning at companies because every single feature isn't included in their miraculous, cost effective, easily mod-dable, inclusive analogue products (or perhaps you'd like analogue to be the sole preserve of rich, older, distinguished gentlemen?) then said companies may stop bothering.

Us younger slutz like the opportunity to buy something with some analogue mojo for a reasonable price, and not all of us are making cookie cutter EDM.

Let's wait for the demo's, everyone chill, and get your cheap $10 dollar soldering irons ready, you might even learn something fun
Xanderbeanz for future Moderator?

Beautifully put!
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
This is kind of telling, because the sampler they're citing as forcing them to do mostly mono tracks is the S1000, which has like 10 separate outputs, if you choose to use them. While the potential was there to sequence little percussive sounds and stereo spread them all over the place, what they actually used it for was longer loops in mono. Really about preference and using the resources you have in a musical context in creative ways, there's very little equipment that's really "useless".
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Xanderbeanz for future Moderator?

Beautifully put!
Nope, I'm far too nasty to newbs who scroll presets with no idea of what they're doing, or ask everyone else to do their research in learning their skill or finding their voice, I very bluntly tell them to go and experiment, watch YouTube vids, read up and put their 10,000 hours in. Such behaviour would probably alienate at least 50%* of our members.

*cheeky over the top guess.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

that wouldn't be a bad thing actually Your contributions are always fresh and welcome here, you'd get my support as well
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
In fact, most every signal starts off in mono at the source and gets artificially stereo-ized somewhere downstream.
stereo is for noobs: they just don't have enough gear... yet.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Drums are always mono at the source. In fact, most every signal starts off in mono at the source and gets artificially stereo-ized somewhere downstream.
The same goes for people's voices, though I'd be glad to take a soldering iron to anyone's throat if they feel they need more outputs, haha.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzarv View Post
listen to this guy, he talks sense ^^
learning how to solder does not make someone a better musician.

the notion that akai or roland or any other manufacturer is factoring GS bitching and moaning into its product design is little more than wishful thinking.

assuming that those with an opposing opinion must be making "cookie cutter EDM" seems more like prejudice than fact.

sorry but i'm not sure where the "sense" is.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Keep it up, Xander. That very attitude is what inspired punk as an artistic force to prove otherwise.

Nothing wrong with learning your craft, but you shouldnt alienate people. That's just asking to become irrelevant. (And only makes you look like an asshole)
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Clearly, we love you, Beanz!
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
learning how to solder does not make someone a better musician.

the notion that akai or roland or any other manufacturer is factoring GS bitching and moaning into its product design is little more than wishful thinking.

assuming that those with an opposing opinion must be making "cookie cutter EDM" seems more like prejudice than fact.

sorry but i'm not sure where the "sense" is.
Makes sense to me that soldering individual outs or (as OP suggested) using MIDI to make multiple drum tracks would yield the desired stereo results.

that's the "sense" part
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Does anyone else not care about individual outs? With the 808 for example i dont use them really I just record one long track containing each individual percussion instruments sequence -> sync tempo in daw, cut up, assign to tracks and its all good..
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
well, in the acoustic world, overhead drums are recorded stereo. Also, the room sound is recorded, and added to the drum mix.

In the EDM world, to be able to get stereo, you need the pure source -> single outs.

If you like drums glued to the loudspeakers and flat, instead of nicely located in the stereofield, ok. The latter sounds more natural, the lack of space is artificial. You don't need to make a bass drum wet.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANZ KAFKA View Post
Does anyone else not care about individual outs? With the 808 for example i dont use them really I just record one long track containing each individual percussion instruments sequence -> sync tempo in daw, cut up, assign to tracks and its all good..
That's usually how I roll, and if I'm late triggering the next part too late... well there's your swing.

Sometimes I'll build a beat on a looper and send it to a mono track in the DAW, and if neccesary, process the whole group of sounds together. That's dead center. If later I need to add more elements of interest to the beat, I might pan those a little L and R.

Needing to use 8 seperate outs for electronic drums would get on my nerves.
HA!
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post
Makes sense to me that soldering individual outs or (as OP suggested) using MIDI to make multiple drum tracks would yield the desired stereo results.

that's the "sense" part
i hope that adding individual outputs will be as easy as some people think because i am planning on buying one of these units but until someone makes it happen i'm going to remain skeptical because akai certainly had a reason for not implementing it.
Old 13th March 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
well, in the acoustic world, overhead drums are recorded stereo. Also, the room sound is recorded, and added to the drum mix.

In the EDM world, to be able to get stereo, you need the pure source -> single outs.

If you like drums glued to the loudspeakers and flat, instead of nicely located in the stereofield, ok. The latter sounds more natural, the lack of space is artificial. You don't need to make a bass drum wet.
In the acoustic world, the source is a single point, and the mic (and the room for that matter) is downstream from it.

In the electronic instrument world, you would do the same thing with the Wolf that you would do with a multitimbral synth or any other device that can play more sounds than it has outputs. Record each part separately, then pan and/or synthesize stereo signals (or perhaps the box in question does it for you) as required.

Anyway, somewhere in the world, somebody is gonna straight record the output of the Wolf into a phrase sampler (or DAW with similar capabilities) and have fun manipulating the results without the least bit of care given to worrying about separating sounds or verb'ing the snare only. And thus will commence armageddon.

Not that serious. Right?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1 here, I mean the thing costs $200, I really DO NOT expect something this cheap to have that kind of commodity.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
i hope that adding individual outputs will be as easy as some people think because i am planning on buying one of these units but until someone makes it happen i'm going to remain skeptical because akai certainly had a reason for not implementing it.
Money?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Are they? Is it?

Is there some rule in the acoustic world that says drum overheads must be stereo, that there is no other way?

And that the room sound has to be recorded, in stereo, and added to the mix, in stereo?

You are hating, and trolling.

You have said you are not interested, and that you are not the target market for this box, so not really sure what you are trying to do, or why you are trying to convince everyone else that they must think and work the same way you do.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
if i can ship the box somewhere and have outs installed for < $100 then i will do that. i know how to solder but i don't care enough to spend the time. i'd rather record the drums individually.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

Does the world exist as a single sound source or a stereo sound source? Do things exist by themselves or in pairs? Am I my own being, or myself and the universe combined???? Is there one meaning, or many meanings which all hold true????? Am I real or is reality an imagined dream????????
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

I like individual outs, but I'd be expecting to pay more than a couple of hundred bucks for a machine with those.

Many great mono-overhead drum recordings out there, btw.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcumber View Post
Does the world exist as a single sound source or a stereo sound source? Do things exist by themselves or in pairs? Am I my own being, or myself and the universe combined???? Is there one meaning, or many meanings which all hold true????? Am I real or is reality an imagined dream????????
more and more it's looking as if the universe might just be a hologram
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
more and more it's looking as if the universe might just be a hologram
meaning, the universe is digital.

beautifully ironic...
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
meaning, the universe is digital.

beautifully ironic...
vibrating strings. like a symphony

Simulations back up theory that Universe is a hologram : Nature News & Comment
Old 13th March 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
vibrating strings. like a symphony

Simulations back up theory that Universe is a hologram : Nature News & Comment

my apologies for interrupting the discussion
Two things are always worth talking about - the nature of the universe & analog v digital.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

So are analog universes warmer? What if they got wood sides.

Take 2 universes and detune them ... Then prophet
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post

Take 2 universes and detune them ...

In space, no one can hear you detune ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search