The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
ok, mix in mono, no ambience. Can be your trademark. Go for it.
its not going to be my trademark, I like stereo, but i almost always have basic Rhythm going on in the middle, and than add ear candy staff to it in stereo ...

Manny people think Dummy has Ambiance, it is classic album, and innovative.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you heard of mixing? Panning, adding space (reverb), delay, compression?
Maybe it would be cool to retrigger the snare and add some other sound later in the DAW. Welcome to 2014.
Anyways ...
Have you heard of multiple takes and comping? Welcome to... uhm... 1970?

If you're not willing to add those outputs yourself, of course.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Have you heard of multiple takes and comping? Welcome to... uhm... 1970?

If you're not willing to add those outputs yourself, of course.
great idea. Instead of recording things once and speeding up your workflow you will record each sound individually, one after the other. What a great experience. I stay with my 909, airbase and mpc4000 (and octatrack). Analog/digital postprocessing is the key.

If you guys like this machine, no one will spoil it. For me it is just a big disappointment and wrong market study. Some people will try it and sell it sooner or later, because of its limitations. For any modern electronic genre a no-go. Better to use just battery 4. Same reason why I did not consider the Korg machine. They try to save every little penny. Including individual outs would not have raised the costs a lot. No converters needed, since it's already analog, just ****ing line drivers and dedicated outputs. For just 50$ more, they easily could have included that, but no! Big fail. But please don't open new threads and ask how this guy or that famous guy mixes so great and why his music sounds so great.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
great idea. Instead of recording things once and speeding up your workflow you will record each sound individually, one after the other. What a great experience. I stay with my 909, airbase and mpc4000 (and octatrack). Analog/digital postprocessing is the key.
Sure, go ahead. But why on earth would do say stuff like:

Quote:
Your mixes will always sound cheap with a mono output
no matter what you do.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Is that troll ish im smelling here?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsutek View Post
Is that troll ish im smelling here?
Man, I'm so easy.
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

Right when is this being released ? The original thought was some time summer 2014, the next we see a video with a rep saying June, then another saying May and now Guitar Guitar are saying that it will be delivered on the 21st of March when pre ordered..

Akai The Rhythm Wolf Analog Drum Machine and Bass Synth
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Is there any word on whether it has either parameter locking per step (which the analog rytm and even the volca beats can do-knob movements are recorded) or whether it can respond to MIDI CC, I wanna get crazy step modulated FM percussion
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure, go ahead. But why on earth would do say stuff like:
Just if you record all at once.

See, I am mixing rock tunes, pop tunes, electronic, and other stuff. Ask any mixing engineer what he thinks about such a device. Before being accused of trolling I am out here. Just think about it, even if it takes 5 years.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colum View Post
Right when is this being released ? The original thought was some time summer 2014, the next we see a video with a rep saying June, then another saying May and now Guitar Guitar are saying that it will be delivered on the 21st of March when pre ordered..
i hope they get it working soon. i'm very interested but i'd like to hear it before i pre-order. not really necessary for me because it's inexpensive and analog but it would be nice.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ask any mixing engineer what he thinks about such a device.
Sincerely, I don't give a f*ck. I'm not giving him a drum machine, I'm giving him tracks.

Quote:
Just think about it, even if it takes 5 years.
Sure.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Yawn...same pattern, first you talk **** about it and then say how you can't wait to play with it when you get called out.

ok please show me where I supposedly talk ****e about this puppy? I responded exactly with 2 posts one with a smiley face where I was happy with new cheap gear, and the second was a response comparing this puppy with the Roland TR-8, I said since the TR-8 has a lot more features this puppy will not hurt it's sales

Speaking of 2 posts, thanks again for your interest in my opinion. You are a great fan, who went out of your way not once but twice, it shows how much you care about my opinion when you respond that way. With your second post however you seem confused, so let me state my opinions again

1. this is a cool piece of cheap gear
2. because it's cheap it's more limited than other more expensive gear

hope that helps, always happy to help out my fans
Old 13th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:

If you guys like this machine, no one will spoil it. For me it is just a big disappointment and wrong market study. Some people will try it and sell it sooner or later, because of its limitations. For any modern electronic genre a no-go. Better to use just battery 4. Same reason why I did not consider the Korg machine. They try to save every little penny. Including individual outs would not have raised the costs a lot. No converters needed, since it's already analog, just ****ing line drivers and dedicated outputs. For just 50$ more, they easily could have included that, but no! Big fail. But please don't open new threads and ask how this guy or that famous guy mixes so great and why his music sounds so great.
no amount of outputs will cover up for the cheapness of your mind.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ask any mixing engineer what he thinks about such a device.

I think they'd be quite happy that you are making their job easier by not having separate outputs…

Has anyone dogging the outputs on this thing ever actually recorded mono drums? Its certainly not the best for every production style, but it is not the end of the world. And for all we know this thing can have more outputs hacked anyway.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man, I'm so easy.
Hey I meant the other guy!

IMVHO a "device being mono = useless" is not an argument a rational human being would make
Anyhoo, I have nothing constructive to add to this thread ATM so wake me up when the audio demos get uploaded.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I think they'd be quite happy that you are making their job easier by not having separate outputs…
the best he can do is to refuse the job and not put his name on it. I see that this subforum is still ruled by too many clueless people and trolls. No progress. I come back in half a year. The older, wiser generation went away? hm ..
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
the best he can do is to refuse the job and not put his name on it. I see that this subforum is still ruled by too many clueless people and trolls. No progress. I come back in half a year. The older, wiser generation went away? hm ..
Priceless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsutek View Post
Hey I meant the other guy!
Yeah I know! I'm just ashamed for my self for taking the bait. (again and again!)
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are a lot of newbs here because the kids are into EDM, I'll give you that, and they sometimes show a remarkable disinterest in 'quality', be it in gear, or more importantly in sound. Or they are ignorant of what it even means, having grown up listening to Youtube-compressed music. But your contention here is as much a matter of taste, as of being pro vs amateur.

Personally, all my individual drum samples or synth drums are mono, because I like it that way, and my stuff sounds good Mono drums are punchy. Sure, I slightly pan certain individual tracks (e.g. toms and rides), but kicks, snares and hats I keep dead center 95% of the time.

So, this drum machine is 200 dollars, and so it doesn't have individual outs. Would I prefer it at 400 dollars with more features, including individual outs? Yes. But for studio work you can record the tracks individually so you can treat them individually, and pan them individually. If you can't manage that, get a drum machine that doesn't cost 200 dollars, pretty easy, no?

Finally, while the posters who say they'll buy it regardless of sound don't think like I do, when it comes to the question of buy/not buy, I suspect that many of those posters don't mind, or even prefer, if it sounds a bit ratty and lo-fi analogish. Some people like that, and at 200 dollars those musicians might well get what they want

PS: Overproductions suck more than good simple productions.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

^^^Agreed, but 400$ for Rhythm Puppy with individual outs?
Man, if you have a drill and soldering iron, it costs like 20$ to add those jacks!

(And that $20 gives you quality parts!)
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
^^^Agreed, but 400$ for Rhythm Puppy with individual outs?
Man, if you have a drill and soldering iron, it costs like 20$ to add those jacks!

(And that $20 gives you quality parts!)
Yes, but I'm thinking about more features too, which I'd like to see. Otoh., I accept that this is not meant to be the centrepiece of an electronic studio, it is a very simply basic drummachine for people who just like to mess around with basic analog gear. And if it has character, it may even be used for 'serious' productions, I hope so!
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

What? No 13 individual outs, built-in reverb, cowbell, clave, or 20-gb sequence memory? No 1024ppqn resolution, support for user samples or AFTERTOUCH in a $200 box?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
There are a lot of newbs here because the kids are into EDM, I'll give you that, and they sometimes show a remarkable disinterest in 'quality', be it in gear, or more importantly in sound. Or they are ignorant of what it even means, having grown up listening to Youtube-compressed music. But your contention here is as much a matter of taste, as of being pro vs amateur.

Personally, all my individual drum samples or synth drums are mono, because I like it that way, and my stuff sounds good Mono drums are punchy. Sure, I slightly pan certain individual tracks (e.g. toms and rides), but kicks, snares and hats I keep dead center 95% of the time.

So, this drum machine is 200 dollars, and so it doesn't have individual outs. Would I prefer it at 400 dollars with more features, including individual outs? Yes. But for studio work you can record the tracks individually so you can treat them individually, and pan them individually. If you can't manage that, get a drum machine that doesn't cost 200 dollars, pretty easy, no?

Finally, while the posters who say they'll buy it regardless of sound don't think like I do, when it comes to the question of buy/not buy, I suspect that many of those posters don't mind, or even prefer, if it sounds a bit ratty and lo-fi analogish. Some people like that, and at 200 dollars those musicians might well get what they want

PS: Overproductions suck more than good simple productions.

100% agreed!
Old 13th March 2014
VST
Lives for gear

I just pray it sounds more Roland than Simmons and has hot output. The rest is semantics at this price. Who knows, maybe it'll stream 5 outs via USB
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MesS!eR35 View Post
you are not familiar with Portishead's album Dummy then? its in MONO
I didn't even know that, wow... best album ever.
Old 13th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
I just pray it sounds more Roland than Simmons and has hot output. The rest is semantics at this price. Who knows, maybe it'll stream 5 outs via USB
Once again, there won't be any USB audio on that thing.

Roland could do it well because their drum machine is already digital, there's no A/D conversion needed, but this one is an analog drum machine, so don't count on it, and that's a good thing, because if it did have individual USB outs they would probably be really crappy ones with cheap converters that you shouldn't really use anyway.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesS!eR35 View Post
you are not familiar with Portishead's album Dummy then? its in MONO
actually... it isn't

Portishead's Dummy - Google Books
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
Awesome find! I didn't even know this book existed - *ordering it*
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colum View Post

Akai The Rhythm Wolf Analog Drum Machine and Bass Synth
Guitar Center just wants you to preorder from them. All the different shops will claim different release dates just so they can lock in your order. Remember when the Minibrute was released? Dates were all over the place.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Hello.

Please learn to either solder or record multiple drum takes (it's like an extra few minutes, go and get a cup of tea whilst the MIDI is rendering)

If you keep bitching and moaning at companies because every single feature isn't included in their miraculous, cost effective, easily mod-dable, inclusive analogue products (or perhaps you'd like analogue to be the sole preserve of rich, older, distinguished gentlemen?) then said companies may stop bothering.

Us younger slutz like the opportunity to buy something with some analogue mojo for a reasonable price, and not all of us are making cookie cutter EDM.

Let's wait for the demo's, everyone chill, and get your cheap $10 dollar soldering irons ready, you might even learn something fun
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternating.bit View Post
Awesome find! I didn't even know this book existed - *ordering it*
i hope you enjoy it. i'm seriously considering a leipzig-s thanks to you. i like your music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search