The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th March 2014
  #601
PES
Lives for gear
 
PES's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
It is a single gate output, it doesn't have a CV output for pitch.

You wouldn't be able to sequence any sound with it.

It is for an analogue sync pulse.
I said it's for sync, but in theory it could be used to trig
a sound from a drum module for example.
Old 13th March 2014
  #602
Lives for gear
 
anigbrowl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternating.bit View Post
So aside from the multiple CVs my Vermona DRM1-MKIII has, it looks like this thing is 1/4 the price and does a hell of a lot more. Bastards.
You could have had chrome for less $, and then you'd be able to afford this little Akai baby to sequence it too.

Seriously, the synthesis on the Vermona is signficantly more complex, that thing has a huge rage.
Old 13th March 2014
  #603
Lives for gear
 
choond's Avatar
If it sounds good, it will be fun to use, like the monotribe was . The synth on the monotribe made up for the relatively weak drum section. I'm looking forward to hearing what akai came up with there.

With the Akai, the lack of pan control or individual outs kind of ruins it for me as an analog drum machine. Means I'd have to track sounds out individually to pan highs away from lows and mids, and miss out on the whole analog summing experience....which for me is kind of the point of an analog drum machine. Sometimes I think manufacturers of these later drum machines just think their market are all dumb DJ's who don't know production basics. A drum machine doesn't have to do that much, but needs a couple of basic options included (panning and/or individual outs, Individual part controls) in order to use it seriously. Effects don't make up for that.

Good point about using auto-panning software ITB, but I have tons of samples and drum synths from machine & Kontakt already for ITB drums.

I'd just really like something to replace my TR-626 - the screen is dying on mine, and its still a better drum machine than the latest offerings on the market and cost me $30. I think if noone comes up with something that gets the basics right, I'll just upgrade my MPC1000 to a MPC2500 for the 10 individual outputs, and be done.
Old 13th March 2014
  #604
PES
Lives for gear
 
PES's Avatar
vocalist, guitarist, keyboardist... wolf!

...

There are probably a lot of drummers and bassists having worried conversations between themselves right now.
Old 13th March 2014
  #605
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Sometimes I think manufacturers of these later drum machines just think their market are all dumb DJ's who don't know production basics.
i don't know how they get away with it
Old 13th March 2014
  #606
PES
Lives for gear
 
PES's Avatar
End of summer is just around the corner.

@1:35: "[...]shipping around May."

Old 13th March 2014
  #607
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
@1:35: "[...]shipping around May."

they must be having quality/production issues. i'm going to wait for the second batch
Old 13th March 2014
  #608
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Hey Akai... so you are selling a device that makes sounds but not showcasing those sounds in a place where you should be doing exactly that... um WHY?
Old 13th March 2014
  #609
227861
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
If it sounds good, it will be fun to use, like the monotribe was . The synth on the monotribe made up for the relatively weak drum section. I'm looking forward to hearing what akai came up with there.

Wit
The synth on the monotribe is awesome. I even sampled it to play it polyphonic which honestly is one of the best polyphonic sounds I've heard and holds up to my other vintage Polys.


The drums on the MT are the worst I've ever heard. The bass drum is literally a click.
Old 13th March 2014
  #610
Lives for gear
wait a minute, one rep says shipping in May and another says July
Which is it Akai?
Old 13th March 2014
  #611
Lives for gear
 
Abraxis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Here I embedded the link for you since the advertisement kills the joke anyway.

Am I the only one who actually listens to this when I get rickrolled?

Sometimes more than once.
Old 13th March 2014
  #612
Lives for gear
 
choond's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
The synth on the monotribe is awesome. I even sampled it to play it polyphonic which honestly is one of the best polyphonic sounds I've heard and holds up to my other vintage Polys.


The drums on the MT are the worst I've ever heard. The bass drum is literally a click.
Yeah, I loved it to..I even had two monotribes at one point. The bass could shake the house.
Old 13th March 2014
  #613
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
Am I the only one who actually listens to this when I get rickrolled?

Sometimes more than once.
you might be the only one who admits it!
Old 13th March 2014
  #614
Lives for gear
 
cogsy's Avatar
 

As much as I love my little Monotribe, this looks like a Korg killer. The fact that it has tweakable drums and an honest to God envelope section (rather than a switch with three choices)for $200 puts it in direct competition with the MT and a clear winner on features. The only thing I'm not sure about is build quality on the Wolf, as those knobs looked a bit dicey. That and...oh yeah, no idea how it sounds.
Old 13th March 2014
  #615
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecycle View Post
I agree. This new buggy quote system is just awful. They should just revert it the old quoting system.
Add your voice to this thread (which I started today) in the Feedback Forum:

The new quote system
Old 13th March 2014
  #616
227861
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Yeah, I loved it to..I even had two monotribes at one point. The bass could shake the house.
Ugh....uh yeah...addict here...I bought 4 monotribes. Hooked them up to guitar pedals and let the fun roll.
Old 13th March 2014
  #617
227861
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
Am I the only one who actually listens to this when I get rickrolled?

Sometimes more than once.
I listen every time....every time. That damn Rick, the song is catchy.
Old 13th March 2014
  #618
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
As much as I love my little Monotribe, this looks like a Korg killer. The fact that it has tweakable drums and an honest to God envelope section (rather than a switch with three choices)for $200 puts it in direct competition with the MT and a clear winner on features. The only thing I'm not sure about is build quality on the Wolf, as those knobs looked a bit dicey. That and...oh yeah, no idea how it sounds.
Just be careful, wouldn't want this to happen to any of us

Old 13th March 2014
  #619
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Hmm, I've critiqued the Tempest quite a bit but that's more over OS/UI/design level stuff. In terms of pure sonics I think it's pretty damn good.
In your opinion. In my opinion it sounds like it should cost about $599 USD. Sorry, I'm a fan of some DSI stuff. Love the Prophet 08, MoPho, Tetr4... but I'm also the guy who didn't like the Evolver either. Anyway, I thought it had a kind of cool sound for some weird stuff but the better drum sounds seem to come from it's sample engine, and I have no use for a hardware ROMpler. So... yeah, I'd buy a version of it that was just a rack mount synth engine, but as it is, with it's lack luster synth engine and OS problems it seems like a bit of a sprawling fail... that got $500 more expensive than it did when it was released.

It's probably me though. I have a picky idea of what a drum synth should sound like. I've said before, the Vermoma DRM1 is probably as close to a perfect version of what I want that exists, but I don't want to have to do drum sound design every time I wish to have a new kit. If they did a Mk4 that had preset memory I'd be first in line for one.

I also thought the Elektron RYTM sounds bad and I wasn't hugely impressed by the Tanzbar either. Frankly I thought the TR-8 sounded better than both of them in the demos I've heard.

I just have a hard time buying software in a dedicated box. I'd rather have the TR-8 as a VSTi and spend the money on something actually analog.
Old 13th March 2014
  #620
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Your tagline says 'I love cheap synths,' but I get the impression that this because they give you something to sneer about so you can feel good about yourself. I've been wondering when you'd show up with a comment like this, and sure enough I didn't have to wait long.
I do love cheap synths, and that's why I put that in my tagline, nice to know I
have fans that wait on pins and needles for me to talk about cheap synths on a thread about a $199 product

It didn't take long at all for other people to talk about the great analog revival, and they are right, as long as it's analog and cheap, it's a winner

I am looking forward to getting this, I like cheap toys, analog or not, it really doesn't matter, and this should play nicely with my monotribe. I also look forward to cracking open the case and bending it.

The thing I am most pleased with about the so called analog revival, is the stream of cheap toys that come out of it. It reminds me of the cool stuff Yamaha and Casio did back in the 1980s with cheap toy
synths

anyway thanks again for your interest in my opinion, always nice to hear from a fan, and thanks to the 8 people who gave your post a big thumbs up, they must be fans also
Old 13th March 2014
  #621
Lives for gear
 

Just thought of if that trigger sends a pulse like the Monotribe this would be a great companion for it, providing timing to them! Proper drums with the 'Tribes. Good grooves. That would also mean this could be driven by the cv outs of the Micro/Minibrutes.
Old 13th March 2014
  #622
Lives for gear
 
anigbrowl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I am looking forward to getting this, I like cheap toys, analog or not, it really doesn't matter, and this should play nicely with my monotribe. I also look forward to cracking open the case and bending it.
Yawn...same pattern, first you talk **** about it and then say how you can't wait to play with it when you get called out.

Quote:
anyway thanks again for your interest in my opinion, always nice to hear from a fan, and thanks to the 8 people who gave your post a big thumbs up, they must be fans also
Old 13th March 2014
  #623
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
You could have had chrome for less $, and then you'd be able to afford this little Akai baby to sequence it too.

Seriously, the synthesis on the Vermona is signficantly more complex, that thing has a huge rage.
Plus its all chrome shiny

Old 13th March 2014
  #624
Lives for gear
 
Seccione's Avatar
 

Probably old news for most, but lets gather what we know:

Quote:
CDM: Can you sequence external hardware with the 32-step sequencer? (either over MIDI, USB, or both?)
Akai: Yes. USB and MIDI.

Are the pads velocity sensitive?
Yes, the five pads below the instruments are velocity sensitive. The internal sequencer is able to handle three different layers (values).

There’s one mono output from the drums, one mono output from the synth?
Yes. But if you want to lose your warranty you might want to modify it to get more outputs

Ed.: I’m assuming that last bit is unofficial, but… erm… yes, I will make sure we get generous loan terms from AKAI when CDM gets ours to test.

“Howl” knob – this is a sort of overdrive?
Diode based distortion (preliminary – might change). All analogue as well.
Create Digital Music
Old 13th March 2014
  #625
Lives for gear
 
pinkerton's Avatar
 

Glad they let us sequence other gear with it. Totally makes this box more appealing to me. Of course this still wouldn't be a perfect mate for the mpx as I doubt its polyphonic.
Old 13th March 2014
  #626
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Complaining about the outputs out of a 200 dollar synth is freakin funny.
Welcome to the toy market with Korg being the leader. Just don't manufacture a 200 $ synth! Everyone's happy.
A 400$ dollar synth maybe ... I skip this one.

We have a lot of serious production tools as plugins and a lot of toys with no connectivity as hardware.
Isn't that sad? Should be the other way round. Your mixes will always sound cheap with a mono output
no matter what you do.
Old 13th March 2014
  #627
Lives for gear
 
Seccione's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Just don't manufacture a 200 $ synth! Everyone's happy.
A 400$ dollar synth maybe ...
I'm sure somebody can sell this for with $400, if it's just about the price.

Quote:
Your mixes will always sound cheap with a mono output
no matter what you do.
Uhm, okay.
Old 13th March 2014
  #628
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
I'm sure somebody can sell this for with $400, if it's just about the price.


Uhm, okay.
Have you heard of mixing? Panning, adding space (reverb), delay, compression?
Maybe it would be cool to retrigger the snare and add some other sound later in the DAW. Welcome to 2014.
Anyways ...
Old 13th March 2014
  #629
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
We have a lot of serious production tools as plugins and a lot of toys with no connectivity as hardware.
Isn't that sad? Should be the other way round. Your mixes will always sound cheap with a mono output
no matter what you do.
you are not familiar with Portishead's album Dummy then? its in MONO
Old 13th March 2014
  #630
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MesS!eR35 View Post
you are not familiar with Portishead's album Dummy then? its in MONO
ok, mix in mono, no ambience. Can be your trademark. Go for it.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump