The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandar View Post
I would love to play the rhythm wolf in the three wolf ****.
Haha! It seems like Akai should do something like this when they finally get around to demonstrating the product. Their product reps should all be wearing wolf shirts.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

I doubt this has A/D, but analog audio out only,
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conjure View Post
Very, very likely to be the case.
Not really it analog so they would need A/D converters and that would put them over budget
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

**** off with your multiple outs it's $199, just buy two, or spend the extra 5 minutes it's gonna take to double track in your DAW.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
I doubt this has A/D, but analog audio out only,
Press release says USB-MIDI, doesn't mention USB-Audio...

Quote:
AKAI PROFESSIONAL UNLEASHES THE RHYTHM WOLF

Leading music production equipment manufacturer debuts an analog drum machine and bass synthesizer inspired by the classics. Cumberland, RI, USA—March 11, 2014.

Akai Professional (akaipro.com), a leading innovator of music equipment for production and performance, announces the Rhythm Wolf, an analog drum machine and bass synthesizer module with built-in sequencing.

The Rhythm Wolf is an authentic analog instrument that combines the coveted sounds of early electronic and hip-hop music with genuine Akai Professional workflow. Inspired by the classic analog beat machines and synthesizers of the past, Rhythm Wolf enables today’s musicians to harness iconic analog sounds for music production and performance. The drum machine consists of five highly-tweakable drum sounds and includes a kick, snare, open & closed hi-hat, and metallic percussion. Onboard controls allow users to customize the tuning, amplitude envelopes, and volume of each drum voice separately for precise real-time adjustment. The bass synthesizer features a selectable oscillator (sawtooth or square wave), classic filter design, a filter envelope with variable decay, and is capable of creating powerful bass sounds and squelchy leads.

Outfitted with six genuine MPC pads and a built-in 32-step sequencer, the Rhythm Wolf provides an ultra-responsive interface with a classic drum machine layout. Drum patterns can be fine-tuned using the Swing function, Pattern Select, and Tempo Control knob. A custom distortion signal path, activated by the “Howl” knob, adds grit and character for additional tone shaping. Rhythm Wolf features USB-MIDI, MIDI In/Out, a gate trigger, and integrates seamlessly with modern and vintage equipment. Two audio outputs enable producers and performers to mix percussion sounds and bass independently.

Rhythm Wolf Highlights:
• 5-voice analog drum machine and synth—authentic analog design that references classic rhythm machines and synthesizers
• Legendary analog drum sounds—kick, snare, open & closed hi-hat, and metallic percussion
• Synth-bass module—selectable square or sawtooth wave with classic filter design for warm, deep basses and squelchy leads.
• Onboard 32-step sequencer—classic drum machine workflow for quickly laying down grooves and melodies
• Six genuine MPC pads—responsive controls for sequencing and finger drumming
• Howl knob—custom distortion circuit for additional sound design
• USB-MIDI and MIDI In/Out—flexible MIDI connectivity for easy integration into modern studios
• Gate Trigger—triggering via modular synths, vintage sequencers, or external sound sources
• Independent audio outputs—dedicated outputs for the drum machine and synth-bass module for precise mixing

Akai Professional Product Manager Dan Gill notes, “The Rhythm Wolf puts those sought after analog drum machine and synthesizer sounds right into the hands of today’s musicians. We set out to make a compact drum machine and bass synthesizer, inspired by the classics, that can adapt to any studio setup and integrate with modern and vintage music equipment.”

The Rhythm Wolf will be available in Summer 2014, distributed worldwide with a $199.99 USD street price. Akai Professional will unveil the Rhythm Wolf at Musikmesse, Hall 5.1, Booth B45, March 12-15 in Frankfurt, Germany. For more information, visit: akaipro.com/messe2014.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
**** off with your multiple outs it's $199, just buy two, or spend the extra 5 minutes it's gonna take to double track in your DAW.
easy tiger, i won't complain but it would be a nice feature to have. Not a deal breaker by any means
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Pity Roland couldn't have done something similar, $200 real analogue xOx, it can obviously be done at that price point.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Looks nice, and distortion is a nice plus. I'm always puzzled why don't they make 64 step sequencers in analog gear, always 16 or 32.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Holy ****! 200$? I'd buy that for twice the price !
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

I actually gasped out loud when I saw what this is going to cost.

Good thing I wasn't at work

D.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandar View Post
only two outs. One for drums and one for bass.
at 300 not not a nearly a deal breaker but I would pay extra for the full 6 outs.
might be easily mod-able like the Korg line of cheap boxes. pretty cool.

also, wolf logo = the awesome
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Akai is in
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's ANALOGUE, it could sound like crap (like the volca's snare) and still we'd all love it.

PLUS, WOOD SIDES!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Would laugh if it contained x0x clone circuits!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
It's ANALOGUE, it could sound like crap (like the volca's snare) and still we'd all love it.

PLUS, WOOD SIDES!
Wood sides sound warmer:

Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
might be easily mod-able like the Korg line of cheap boxes. pretty cool.

also, wolf logo = the awesome
My guess is it will be easier to mod as its bigger
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Roland who?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Good price and no SCATTER effect on it. Jesus loves us
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

The Attack knob for the bass drum is different to the rest. Looks like an infinite encoder. God knows why.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

When everyone else keeps whining about airas and AR here comes akai from nowhere slamming a full analog drum machine for what? 199? Do you think people will have anything to complain about?

Nice job akai
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Roland who?
Can you believe I STILL haven't received a cease and desist order from Roland over this video?

Old 10th March 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFM View Post
Do you think people will have anything to complain about?
Err... Where's the clap?
Old 10th March 2014
WOW thats one hell of a surprise. Very interested to hear what it sounds like, for that kind of silly money it a no brainer.

Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

The Rhythm Wolf is an authentic analog instrument that incorporates the sounds of "early electronic" and "hip-hop music" into the Akai Professional workflow -> Wowzazstic....thank you Akai!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Analog gear allows us to reconnect to our childhoods, a time of simplicity and innocence, it has a massive emotional draw, from a time before we grew up and the world became cold and digital.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

That means a second, longstanding in the case of Akai, Japanese manafacturer is joining the analog revival. Very interesting.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
You need approval?
I was just curious to know what all the excitement was based on.
I now know.
Nothing matters but the fact it's analog.
You're in gearslutz, a company releases a $200 drum+bass analog machine and you don't understand the excitement? Of course it matters it's analog.
Old 10th March 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
You need approval?
I was just curious to know what all the excitement was based on.
I now know.
Nothing matters but the fact it's analog.
Quick everybody go back and edit your posts before he loses interest in your posts AND the wolf!!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobhead View Post
You're in gearslutz, a company releases a $200 drum+bass analog machine and you don't understand the excitement? Of course it matters it's analog.
I'd buy it even without taking a listen for the money. Just because its akai and its analog. And with a product like this it seems akai want to make a name for themselves once again
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Err... Where's the clap?
Dude, with all the action you'll get from an analogue drum machine, you'll get the clap in no time

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search