The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
so it takes two or three units to do an interesting demo and there is enough space for a user to finish the build and the fake wood panels are easy to remove. ok!! i'm still buying it!!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo View Post
so it takes two or three units to do an interesting demo and there is enough space for a user to finish the build and the fake wood panels are easy to remove. ok!! i'm still buying it!!
^^ U should, at least it's not fake analog.
Old 12th March 2014
Wow...

After weeding through the thread, I think everyone has fair points, I think this could be something cool, good-sounding, and useful, but I think a lot of people have felt burned by the over-hype of cheap analog gear recently (the Korg toys being one of them) and this could quite possibly be disappointing. That doesn't at all mean that this sounds like a Volca, it will obviously have been designed to differentiate itself from them in sound as well as functionality, but there is the lingering fear that this is someone cashing in on a term that many people don't fully understand, they just 'want'.

It is a bit disturbing that this is getting so much hype because it has the word "Analog" in it, it's like people don't really care about the resulting sound whatsoever, just as long as it fits some definition of the term 'authentic', which is subjective and doesn't really mean anything. Yet, we are gearslutz, so in any given announcement thread there will be people claiming that they'll buy something without hearing it first.

I'm waiting for a demo. Not going to lie, my instinct at reading "Analog $200" was to count my change, but I'm a bit wary by how it's been marketed thus far; "Hey, Analog! And Cheap! Uh, you can't listen to it. Not on the show floor either..." I know, it's really too early to get all annoyed at that, but in the SonicState video it's plugged in and flashing... Just hook it up, dammit.

I hope it sounds terrible, but in that special good way, if people catch my drift. Thinking EDP Wasp and Polivoks... I'd buy it immediately. If that distortion circuit is disgustingly horrible I will totally toss cash at Akai in a second.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
No its just the wolf pack
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I'm a musician. I make music.
In case you didn't catch it the first 500 mentions...

Ionian is a professional musician. He makes music.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
i'm in but i don't see myself buying more than one of these although i'll probably buy two tr8 machines.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have to say knobs look huge, like very big sized for that tiny machine.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Right....

Because no amount of short-comings could possibly be as bad as "fake analog" (as you put it...)

...even if that "fake analog" sounds amazing and the "real analog" sounds like absolutely nothing thus far.

It's obvious you like to take things apart and tinker. That's great, and I'm glad AKAI is making something with this potential in mind for those that want it.

But why, oh why, continually take pot shots at something else that has musical potential as well? Not to mention something we've actually heard. Something that sounds great. Can't they both be good for their own purposes?
Old 12th March 2014
Also, I didn't buy a 606 when they were 300 bucks because it didn't have a clap... Am I going to have to buy a cheesy clap pedal to have analog fun these days? Or does including a clap magically raise the price by 300 bucks?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
Also, I didn't buy a 606 when they were 300 bucks because it didn't have a clap... Am I going to have to buy a cheesy clap pedal to have analog fun these days? Or does including a clap magically raise the price by 300 bucks?
for $199 i'll just clap into a mic
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizt View Post
I have to say knobs look huge, like very big sized for that tiny machine.
What. You don't like big knobs?

Regardless of size, I think I'd probably swap the knobs off, those look pretty crap.
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
I like doing mods but I actually don't like hearing this from the company. They should be proud of the way it functions and sounds, nothing should indicate otherwise. And encouraging voiding your warranty isn't such a good thing to say either, imo. Take a page from Korg in this regard - not a word was mentioned about making their toys mod friendly just some nice text on the PCB is all the community needs and they know that.
Completely agree.....but this is what you get for a --- > cheap price.

Not complaining just stating the fact that if everyone wants cheap you're going to get compromises and things like having to mod to get more out of it. In the end kind of spending more.

Can tell you from experience in the past modding my Monotribe. Had Korg just made Midi I/O, silencing the OSC so you can only hear input for filter use, adjustment of the Decay of the drums (All things I had done to my mod) then I would have just bought the Monotribe with all these features for hundreds more and happily paid for the extra cost from the manufacturer to do it properly without having to void the warranty or send it to someone else to mod it. (which I did)

This thing from Akai looks cool though, and makes the fact that Roland delayed announcing from NAMM to make an announcement a total and complete JOKE!!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have watched already two videos and they haven't demonstrated a single sound

Just two analog outputs = garbage
Old 12th March 2014
Complaining about the outputs out of a 200 dollar synth is freakin funny.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
I don't want to be rude , but that doesn't make any sense.

If it turns out that it sounds really dreadful its not any kind of awesome and definitely not a bargain ,at any price.
The unit looks ugly, its dirt cheap and I havent heard it.. Yet I think its an awesome release, why? = its analog and has plenty of realestate, so even if it sounded sub-par to a dr110 and a 75$ tb clone it will still be awesome release ..

The award to any kind of awesome release goes out to mods mods mods

Expect this thing to look like a cyborg pet in a few months...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

great, another bull**** thread like the aira one where no-one has touched the instrument.
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego View Post
great, another bull**** thread like the aira one where no-one has touched the instrument.
Nah, not the same.

This one is analog and not ACB, that already takes out the bulls#it.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
DSI has 4 distinct synths but makes 11 models based on some variation of each. I agree DSI is a bit bad about innovation but they've been successful so they're trying to milk their designs for all their worth. I agree they're clearly at the end of their curtis chip rope as clearly shown by the dud of a drum machine (IMO) called The Tempest.
Hmm, I've critiqued the Tempest quite a bit but that's more over OS/UI/design level stuff. In terms of pure sonics I think it's pretty damn good.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Nah, not the same.

from what i have seen and heard ACB seems pretty awesome
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nah, not the same.

you do realize you're cheering the merits of a non-functioning box, right?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's non functioning but still better than the TR 8
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
a non-functioning analog box. big difference
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
a non-functioning analog box. big difference

great, now i gotta clean up the coffee i just spit on my nord...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego View Post
Sound demonstration on next week.Will be a lot of fun on this thread until wolf cry....

Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
It's non functioning but still better than the TR 8
And no stupid marketing included.
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
Yes (stands proudly)
Old 12th March 2014
So aside from the multiple CVs my Vermona DRM1-MKIII has, it looks like this thing is 1/4 the price and does a hell of a lot more. Bastards.
Old 12th March 2014
Deleted User
Intermission...

Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Yes (stands proudly)
Just to add.

In my subjective brain...this thing sounds damn good....even without being turned on.

The TR8 didn't sound too good in my subjective brain when it was delayed at NAMM .. to bring us an announcement Roland thought....was worth delaying.....for the hype.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
In my subjective brain...this thing sounds damn good....even without being turned on.
can you describe the sounds you're hearing? i may pre-order.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search