The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Whatt?! They broke it before it was even hooked up on the Messe booth? Somehow I find that a bit hard to believe.. And even then they could have a least shown as some MIDI/CV sequencing with the swing etc?

so, FM-donk module and 606ish hats? My interest keeps on growing
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
In one of these videos he said sound demos would come in a week or two

Can anyone confirm they said there's space reserved for adding individual outs for the drums by users? (in sonicstate video .. i've seen it but dont want to watch it again ..yet ... so many new things to see!)

-edit-
Watched it again. He said there's space on the back and while he wouldn't recommend it, you could add stuff .. and he will probably do it himself COOL! :D
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepydog View Post
Can anyone confirm they said there's space reserved for adding individual outs for the drums by users?
Well maybe not 'reserved', but the guy said there's plenty of space, and sort of encouraged to do it!
I assume there's enough space in the inside as well.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Maybe Akai should have pulled something different with a non fully working unit, like put it under glass or build up a tent where only selected people can enter with an NDA in place.

Having said that, I think Akai put a lot of thinking in the box and besides the 5 instrument drum machine, you also get a real 303 clone (or whatever little synth it will be) all for $200. I think the rhythm wolf is a no-brainer in my book.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

It's not really 5 drum sounds is it. It's 4. Kick. Snare. Triangle. Hi hat. And a 303 sort of synth thing. It's a bit like an analogue version of the Qasimidi Rave-o-lution. Personally I'd prefer to have something without the synth but a wider set of drum voices, but I agree the price is pretty promising. Looks like it'll probably be better than the Volca beats.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkonkkrete View Post
It's not really 5 drum sounds is it. It's 4. Kick. Snare. Triangle. Hi hat.
Sold!
Old 12th March 2014
Deleted c1b33bf
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
they will sell a ton, the Rhythm Wolf when you get down to it, is more like a Rhythm Puppy it's very limited, too limited really. Once you get past the novelty of OMG IT'S ANALOG it's just another cheap toy, funny how the so called analog revival is dominated by cheap happy meal products
Analogue is the word people associate with machines like the 808, 909, 999, DMX etc. If you throw money at an analogue, it must sound good.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

WUT?????? Just when I thought I had every piece of gear I'd ever need...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackdog View Post
WUT?????? Just when I thought I had every piece of gear I'd ever need...

You do.

Peace,
Frank
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

Here's a longer interview with Dan Gill regarding Rhythm Wolf. I like that he encourages Rhythm-Wolf modifications.

Old 12th March 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezegelman View Post
I like that he encourages Rhythm-Wolf modifications.
I like doing mods but I actually don't like hearing this from the company. They should be proud of the way it functions and sounds, nothing should indicate otherwise. And encouraging voiding your warranty isn't such a good thing to say either, imo. Take a page from Korg in this regard - not a word was mentioned about making their toys mod friendly just some nice text on the PCB is all the community needs and they know that.
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
They should be proud of the way it functions and sounds, nothing should indicate otherwise.
I'm not sure it's so black-and-white. Akai Pro can be perfectly proud of the way it functions but still encourage modifications. And that's precisely the impression I get from that interview.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
they will sell a ton, the Rhythm Wolf when you get down to it, is more like a Rhythm Puppy it's very limited, too limited really. Once you get past the novelty of OMG IT'S ANALOG it's just another cheap toy, funny how the so called analog revival is dominated by cheap happy meal products
Yes, Analog4, R and Keys, MS-20, ARP something, DSI, Tanzbär ... all cheap happy meal products.

STOP trolling. There's products in all price ranges.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like doing mods but I actually don't like hearing this from the company. They should be proud of the way it functions and sounds, nothing should indicate otherwise.
I politely disagree; by saying these things they kind of become part of the modder
community. It's nice to see big-ass companies realizing there's people who wants
to sound unique, instead of settling for what is given to them. Otherwise we
would all just scatter, right?

Quote:
And encouraging voiding your warranty isn't such a good thing to say either, imo.
Hey, it's analog. If it breaks, you can probably fix it by your self.
Old 12th March 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Yeah, true, I just really hope the bass drum booms without mods. I got scared
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Last edited by Sleepydog; 12th March 2014 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: I lost it
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

I agree I also thought it was weird the guy hinted at modifications .. he seemed a little off all together

But I don't mind - I just want to hear it already...

Although the low price tag makes me think its gonna be a let down ...please prove me wrong akai
Old 12th March 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepydog View Post
Sort of exaggerated lol
Yeah, sort of
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

So, it's a Monotribe dun proper.
Old 12th March 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
did somebody say TRIANGLE? I'm in!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joninow View Post
I agree I also thought it was weird the guy hinted at modifications .. he seemed a little off all together
Why and why?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like doing mods but I actually don't like hearing this from the company. They should be proud of the way it functions and sounds, nothing should indicate otherwise. And encouraging voiding your warranty isn't such a good thing to say either, imo. Take a page from Korg in this regard - not a word was mentioned about making their toys mod friendly just some nice text on the PCB is all the community needs and they know that.
Whats with the upsidedown tits ?? Im sure akai stands proud by their products but the guy is just being mellow, easy going, hinting at future protential.. Nothing wrong with that .. Walk into a car dealership where the sales rep passionate about cars and youll get the same ...

On topic: for the price its a awsome release regardless of sound .. . How often does that appen in an audio industry ...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Well they probably have to compete with korg. At the pace korg is at they better get all the momentum they can with their first ananlog drum machine/synth in a while. Probably why he tries to hint at modding them.
I think it was a bad move not to have a demo.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
for the price its a awsome release regardless of sound
I don't want to be rude , but that doesn't make any sense.

If it turns out that it sounds really dreadful its not any kind of awesome and definitely not a bargain ,at any price.
Old 12th March 2014
It's probably a stupid question, but is the triangle portion still analog? I know frequency modulation is an easy thing to do with analog synths, I just wonder if it's an analog part of the synth.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, it's all analog soundwise
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

akai releases a mallet and a trashcan. completely analog and under $200.

i don't care what it sounds like, i'm buying!
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
WARNING: Pretty off topic below, ya'll.

Yeah, you're probably right. I tried really hard to like the A4 and it sounded amazing, but at the end of the day I just couldn't get into the workflow. It was a mistake of me to buy it.
Yeah, after my time with a Monomachine and a Machinedrum I've sworn off Elektron for that exact reason. I hate the user interface of those machines and I knew the Analog 4 (and the RYTM) would be more of the same so I made the same mistake and learned my lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul
The only one I regret selling is the BS2. I still think it is by far the best out of the current lineup of modern monosynths in terms of feature set to sound quality to price.
I agree the BS2 is a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul
I also needed to shrink my gear's footprint quite a lot. I currently don't even have a midi controller besides the OP. The small footprint of the Rocket is appealing, and the sound quality sounds really good from the demos I've heard. It has a cool interface which I appreciate, too. With little modules like that, or even the small-ish Rythm Wolf, I like that I can put them away on a shelf and only pull them out when they're in use. My fiance doesn't want a bunch of **** laying around, and I can understand that. I'm doing my best to keep things clutter free.

Lastly, I'm on GEARSLUTZ.com, I like to try out new gear. Who cares if I buy something and flip it after a month or so at a ~10% monetary loss? It's fun. There are plenty of things that are great out there, it doesn't mean I have to hang onto them forever if I get a hold of one. I think it'd be a much bigger problem if I was buying tons of synths that just sat there unused. At least I sell stuff off if it doesn't click for me. You can always buy it again second-hand. I barely have to invest any new funds into what I buy.

So yeah. DON'T JUUUUUUDGE MEEEE MAAAAAN.
I'm sorry!

I'd be lying if I said I never did similar stuff. The Machinedrum sat in my studio a week. I think a SQ-80 spend 3 days total in my studio. Sometimes you just have to put your hands on something for a few untethered days to know.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
I don't want to be rude , but that doesn't make any sense.

If it turns out that it sounds really dreadful its not any kind of awesome and definitely not a bargain ,at any price.
$199 Still appeals to me as a hands on sequencer! Agreed it would take the shine off though.
I took it also that it will do MIDI to gate trigger sync for external gear which is nice. I wonder if it will swing the gate out? That would be really cool.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search