The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 12th March 2014
think its pointless to compare this to AR. you get one output jack for drums here, and four drum synth voices with just a handful of parameters. AR jas 8 analog or sample-based drum synth voices, with shtload of parameters, and each has its own output. plus the stereo mix out. and costs 7 times as much. completely different product, different market and price range.

to get in AR ballprk capability wise, you need at least Jomox 888. it covers analog and sampling tone generation, has some p-lock ability and individual outputs. but it also outputs midi which AR does not. or RS7000 with several TipTop Audio drum modules and a midi-to-trig converter. or a midied 606 for example. complicated. you wont be able to p-lock any of those tho.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
Well that's fair enough, I just wouldnt buy these two expecting to sound like AR demos on YouTube or anything.

As far as what people normally mean, hell I don't even know. I just assume people who ask basic questions are new to it, and so I take them at face value and don't assume anything. But then he goes on to say he has strymon reverbs and stuff so he obviously has gear and was just pontificating. My mistake if that was the case.
You know, I do think it's useful that you forced that distinction to be made. There do tend to be benefits to going for high end stuff, and I can recall being a newb and just thinking that idea was complete bs and it was all some weird capitalist conspiracy to make me pay more than I had to. And of course you can wind up wasting time and money if what you're really chasing is something you have to save up for. Moderation and knowledge, moderation and knowledge...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

I do love cheap gear though. Sometimes you need or want something rather spartan and not so feature rich. In that case, its really great to not HAVE to buy an wxpensive box for a cheap trick.

Plus, true sluts will want ALL the drum machines coming out right now. God knows I do.
Old 12th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Finally, we get to hear this thing! It sounds great!

Akai Rhythm Wolf Audio Demo at 2014 Musikmesse
Haha! That link should have a click counter.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
Well that's fair enough, I just wouldnt buy these two expecting to sound like AR demos on YouTube or anything.

As far as what people normally mean, hell I don't even know. I just assume people who ask basic questions are new to it, and so I take them at face value and don't assume anything. But then he goes on to say he has strymon reverbs and stuff so he obviously has gear and was just pontificating. My mistake if that was the case.
As clarified by others I was speaking about core functionality. At no point did I mention plocks, etc.

Also there clearly is a place for the highend gear just as there is for the inexpensive. Which is why I own a Tanzbar and plan on an Octatrack later in the year. Its why I'll get the Sub37 eventually. And why I do have quite a few boutique pedals, though not the Strymon for reverb(I use the Space for now). Its on my list of "eventuals". I do however have the El Capistan for delay, and more.

Point being, I understand that this is not a 1:1 replacement for the AR. But if you want analog drums and sample playback this is a good consideration, while leaving far more cash in pocket than was spent relative to the AR.

Regarding the AR, I have some SERIOUS lust for one. But the lack of sequencing external gear really may cause me to skip it because its core functions can be had cheaper.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Like I said, this set of features works for you ...
Old 12th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

If this sequences external gear.

IF.

It's being done the way that each track sends its note ons/offs out from the unit, with the bass track sending notes on a separate MIDI channel from the drums.

Meaning, duplicates of what the unit is telling itself to play.

In other words, no way to combine this and the MPX16 into a "budget AR" without another sequencer to sequence the sampler.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I got Wolf Roll'd...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
If this sequences external gear.

IF.

It's being done the way that each track sends its note ons/offs out from the unit (one separate note per drum), with the bass track sending notes on a separate MIDI channel from the drums.

Meaning, duplicates of what the unit is telling itself to play.

In other words, no way to combine this and the MPX16 into a "budget AR" without another sequencer to sequence the sampler.
That's an interesting insight. We'll see if its correct or not.
Old 12th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
That's an interesting insight. We'll see if its correct or not.
We'll!

Actually, there's one bit of potential here: the shift button.

They could make it so that if you held that and chose a track, you'd get to edit a parallell MIDI-only track. That would be.....
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
We'll!

They could make it so that if you held that and chose a track, you'd get to edit a parallell MIDI-only track. That would be.....
IF it doesn't do external gear maybe I'll lose interest and go back to dreaming of the AR.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

i don't care what it sounds like, it's teh ana!oguez

*rolls eyes*
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

yep..sounds like Kraftwerk
Old 12th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
We'll!

The shift button is used when soloing tracks, so wouldn't be possible after all.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
The RW + the sampler would give you analog and sampled drums, so same basic function as Analog Rhytm.
yeah.. but the wolf might just sound like a Mattel Synsonics and a Stylophone.. with a sequencer..
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
yeah.. but the wolf might just sound like a Mattel Synsonics and a Stylophone.. with a sequencer..
I'm in.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

THere was no audio of the machine?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

There wasn't even english.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
THere was no audio of the machine?
They're trolling
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
the distortion is analog too, nice touch akai
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
the distortion is analog too, nice touch akai
That won't necessarily mean very much. The analog distortion on the DSI Tempest is a mostly useless feature because of its implementation.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
That won't necessarily mean very much. The analog distortion on the DSI Tempest is a mostly useless feature because of its implementation.
i dont have a tempest but out of curiosity how is the distortion implemented on it?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
There wasn't even english.
There were sausages, though.

Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
i dont have a tempest but out of curiosity how is the distortion implemented on it?
It's across the main outputs, so any voices that are output through them are affected all at once. It comes on very suddenly, and cuts out a sizable amount of high and low frequencies pretty much immediately. It would be much cooler if it could be mixed into the signal in parallel so you could get the grit without losing frequency response. In contrast, the overdrive implementation in the A4 and AR around the filters seem pretty great.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Im not sure i like that it wasn't even turned on .... because i was.. :(

Let's hope there's a working one on the messe!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepydog View Post
Im not sure i like that it wasn't even turned on .... because i was.. :(

Let's hope there's a working one on the messe!
Well you can indeed red sausage, even if the wolf doesn't!
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Red Sausage is a much better name than Rhythm Wolf.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

IDGI (I dont get it) - these gags are flying over my head like a 747 Jumbo Jet.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
That depends on what type of distortion you are after! Digital synths spoil peoples' effects expectations...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The trolling is getting a bit old by now...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search