The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th March 2014
So i am guessing i will be able to sequence other equipment via midi?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

brand new video at Messe.. not plugged in but gives you a sense of physical size. I don't know German but I get the feeling it is not a working prototype at this point.

Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Hey, has anyone seen this video yet? I think it's in Albanian, but I don't speak Swedish.

Old 11th March 2014
But....bass and drums will actually be able to play at the same time?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Looks beautiful in the Video, and a good size Look forward to hearing it make sounds
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

and most important of all it looks like real wood sides!
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
brand new video at Messe.. not plugged in but gives you a sense of physical size. I don't know German but I get the feeling it is not a working prototype at this point.
He just explains the features and tells that it is supposed to be used in the studio as well as on stage. Fully analog unlike the competition. There is no release date yet. He seemed unsure if he was allowed to tell. To sum up
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Assuming this sounds great, would this Rhythm Wolf combined with the MPX16 sampler be the equivalent of the Elektron AR? Or even better since the MPX16 can actually sample as well? At a mere $400????

I can't help but think that this combo may be a true game changer. Plus combining it with a Microbrute and Minibrute for an additional $800 STILL undercuts the price of just 1 Elektron AR!!!

Or swap out either of the Brutes for a Minitaur and get fantastic Moog bass going, while again undercutting the AR's price!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Erm no ... the ar has all sorts of features you won't get wih this. Patch/parameter locking, easy patch saving. Way more advanced sequencing. Triggering for other units. It's a classy device and you're expecting multiple cheap units to straightup replace it ... Won't happen. Might be "good enough for you" but won't be anything like 1:1 feature matching. Plus you are forgetting all the accessories you might need for hooking all that stuff together. It's not one nice tidy box like the Elektrons.

expecting all this stuff to sub for the AR is misguided.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

You seen this little lot then.... Akai going new product crazy...
Akai Professional - New Products for 2014
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
Erm no ... the ar has all sorts of features you won't get wih this. Patch/parameter locking, easy patch saving. Way more advanced sequencing. Triggering for other units. It's a classy device and you're expecting multiple cheap units to straightup replace it ... Won't happen. Might be "good enough for you" but won't be anything like 1:1 feature matching. Plus you are forgetting all the accessories you might need for hooking all that stuff together. It's not one nice tidy box like the Elektrons.

expecting all this stuff to sub for the AR is misguided.
Well maybe if one picked up a midibox seq or rs7000 as well, then you could more or less cover all the bases and more at still $500 less than the AR is going to cost.
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post

...plug it it!!!...was shouting that repeatedly!!!!!!!!!

okay...and calm...looks decent build quality...akai's analogue 'electribe'
korg?...where's your's?
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Assuming this sounds great, would this Rhythm Wolf combined with the MPX16 sampler be the equivalent of the Elektron AR? Or even better since the MPX16 can actually sample as well? At a mere $400????

I can't help but think that this combo may be a true game changer. Plus combining it with a Microbrute and Minibrute for an additional $800 STILL undercuts the price of just 1 Elektron AR!!!

Or swap out either of the Brutes for a Minitaur and get fantastic Moog bass going, while again undercutting the AR's price!
the mpx16 has no sequencer? so unless the RW can sequence external MIDI gear then that wont work...be very cool if it does tho!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
Well maybe if one picked up a midibox seq or rs7000 as well, then you could more or less cover all the bases and more at still $500 less than the AR is going to cost.
Got enough mixer channels?
Cables?
Cool with limited (or no) patch storage?
Need individual(edit) outs?
Effects? Reverb/delay for anything?
A box to leave it all hooked up in?

Like I said, it might cover all your bases. It doesn't cover ALL the bases.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
the mpx16 has no sequencer? so unless the RW can sequence external MIDI gear then that wont work...be very cool if it does tho!
There's no mention of a sequencer in the product description for the mpx16
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Cables?

Right, but the setup I mentioned would also be capable of plenty of things the AR would not be capable of, like sequencing other gear, realtime sampling, longer sequences... They're both good options.
Old 12th March 2014
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
No, the $200 figure was used by zero for dramatic effect, like I said in the quote, there is nothing in an original MiniMoog, circuit wise, that couldn't be done at a similar price to the Brutes.

If you put it in a small case, without a keyboard, like this $200 drum machine, then you could maybe get the price even closer.

Sony/Apple/whatever was brought up by zero, when discussing cost of manufacturing in China, I was just responding to ongoing discussion.

Subjective opinion, on a discussion forum, and someone being bored by someone else's opinion, who woulda thunk?

It is actually a subjective opinion that is shared by many who have hands/ears on experience with a wide range of analogue synths.

It does not contradict it at all, that was a design decision in a modern product, not a technical limitation of a vintage reissue.

What are the technical limitations that would prevent a MiniMoog replica from sounding identical to the original?

If you don't care, don't respond, is it really that hard to ignore something you don't care about? Does it make you feel better or superior making responses like that?
me, feel superior? no way. not anywhere near the superiority complex most of your debate-fueled posts reflect. you're right though about not responding, in fact i'm putting you on ignore because i find you extremely annoying and i'm tired of reading your conspiracy theory crap (like oh no!!! Roland lied to me in regards to the way they marketed the TR-8!!!).

i'm out...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Pretty sure I read somewhere that it (Rhythm Wolf) does sequence external gear via MIDI...AND gate trigger.

The sampler doesn't appear to have a sequencer but can be sequenced by external sources.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
It's the world's first silent drum machine

How hip is that?
got a bad feeling there's nothing inside of that thing..
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right, but the setup I mentioned would also be capable of plenty of things the AR would not be capable of, like sequencing other gear, realtime sampling, longer sequences... They're both good options.
Of course, but suggesting it as a replacement to the ar is not as sound an option. That was what was suggested ... Am I wrong here?

Edit: not to mention you get 8 voices vs 4, and knowing elektron, they're likely quite versatile, for specialized voices anyway
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cables?

I'm generally not impressed by most onboard FX. Thats why I have an extensive pedal collection. Outboard offers way more flexibility and quality sounds. Does the Elektron reverb match a Strymon? Not even close.

Its really about how the tool fits your toolbox. Some AR features are redundant to some of us, so a more simplistic tool can be the better choice.

Still not ruling out getting an AR, but this thing will sequence other gear which at the AR's price point its pretty f*cking inexcusable that it does not.

And as stated earlier this MX sampler offers more than the AR's mere ability to play samples.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

So this set of features works for you
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Still not ruling out getting an AR, but this thing will sequence other gear
it will?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's got a trigger out and a midi out/through

That might mean it can to some extent. cv with a trig (which is still just a normal trig afaik) and maybe a single track of midi using the bass synth track.

These could still be just for syncing purposes though.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Guru
Exactly.. we don't know..
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Of course, but suggesting it as a replacement to the ar is not as sound an option. That was what was suggested ... Am I wrong here?

Edit: not to mention you get 8 voices vs 4, and knowing elektron, they're likely quite versatile, for specialized voices anyway
I would take the context of the original statement to mean something that could fulfill the same musical needs, not serve as an exact replacement. That's really what we are normally discussing, especially when price is brought up as a criterion, right? That's why people consider choosing a mopho over a micromac for bass lines, even though they don't really sound anywhere near 100% similar. The RW + the sampler would give you analog and sampled drums, so same basic function as Analog Rhytm.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would take the context of the original statement to mean something that could fulfill the same musical needs, not serve as an exact replacement. That's really what we are normally discussing, especially when price is brought up as a criterion, right? That's why people consider choosing a mopho over a micromac for bass lines, even though they don't really sound anywhere near 100% similar. The RW + the sampler would give you analog and sampled drums, so same basic function as Analog Rhytm.
Nail head. You hit it.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well that's fair enough, I just wouldnt buy these two expecting to sound like AR demos on YouTube or anything.

As far as what people normally mean, hell I don't even know. I just assume people who ask basic questions are new to it, and so I take them at face value and don't assume anything. But then he goes on to say he has strymon reverbs and stuff so he obviously has gear and was just pontificating. My mistake if that was the case.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Finally, we get to hear this thing! It sounds great!

Akai Rhythm Wolf Audio Demo at 2014 Musikmesse

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search