The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
There seems to be a growing real analogue market, and if it starts at the bottom price wise, or with functional recreations of sought after vintage gear, I really don't see the problem, and think it will push it's way up into more modern designed analogue gear.
Totally. Akai is doing what Korg did, starting with a cheap product to make sure the market for analog is there, except they don't have to start with plastic monotrons, Korg already did their homework. We still have to listen to it, but it looks like they decided to strip down this drum machine when it comes to the amount of voices, rather than make a cheap plastic one with limited sound quality. Everything else seems to be just right (sequencer, etc), so if those 5 voices sound good, I'd say they have a winner here. I see the bass synth as a bonus feature, but I'm still hoping it surprises me.

If this works out for them, I'm sure we can expect a bigger one with more drum voices.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Winston Wolf would have been a better name.
Old 11th March 2014
I will buy it regardless how it sounds...just because I can't afford a fxxxing Elektron Rytm
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

Musikmesse 2014: Akai Rhythm Wolf (no sound demo )

looking good - hopefully the knobs are replaceable
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

The Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synthtwo channel tama techstar is $200+ these days! If nothing dramatic else is presented at the messe I will assume that this one is selling in loads.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Really not sure the high price of Apple and Sony gear is due to manufacturing costs, more likely you are paying for the "developed in Cupertino", "Apple", and "Sony" logos, along with their profit margins.
You're totally wrong. I think you live in a fantasy world where corporate fat-cats just sit back on their company's laurels and collect money from zombie fanbois. I've owned many devices in my day and worked in retail music and consumer electronics sales and I'm telling you that when you buy a Sony TV it's not just the name. Sure, they make some lower price point stuff, but if you're looking for top quality their TVs are hard to beat. Same with Apple stuff. Sure, some of it isn't as good as their higher end stuff, but my wife bought a MacBook at around the same time I bought a Toshiba laptop and guess which one is still working well and useful? Hell, less than a year into the Toshiba's life the battery stopped talking a charge where the Apple battery still is running strong.

I'm not saying that there isn't some level of "We're Moog so we can charge more" going, but I don't think it's nearly as good as you think it is. So tell me, why is Akai the only one who's dared charge a fair price for their excellent drum machine while others are trying to scam us into emptying our wallets for the same thing?

I'm done arguing with you as you seem to just like to argue on this forum. We'll see what the Rhythm Wolf sounds like when it's released. I hope you prove me wrong.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Shepherd View Post

Looks great!

That vid was already posted on previous page btw.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Wow! Look what I just found! Wow!
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:

It's funny, between context, English words and my high school German I can understand a surprising amount of that.

Still... so close to shipping and not an audio demo?
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post

Wow! Look what I just found! Wow!
Did you find it 5 posts up?
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac
Was kinda looking forward to some sounds in that, seemed strange having one and not plugging it in.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjed View Post
Sorry dude, I missed out the smiley!
Though your avatar is rather apt now....
Old 11th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjed View Post
Was kinda looking forward to some sounds in that, seemed strange having one and not plugging it in.
It's a sneek peek as you can see ladder there and stands are still being built for tomorrow... They won't demo it until tomorrow as not to spoil the fun of the exhibition i guess
Old 11th March 2014
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomaudio View Post
I think people have complained about the MS-20 not sounding identical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SympaSizer View Post
The MS-20 mini is amazing, I have a vintage MS-20 and a white face Odyssey with a blue meanie filter. The mini MS is spot on, as is the Ipad app and VSTI.
----------------

One person doesn't prove that everyone believes it sounds identical - also this person claims that the iPad app and VSTi are both spot on so I question the integrity of their opinion.

Anyways I'm not going to waste my time arguing if the MS-20 mini sounds identical or not to the original. I found your statement that Moog could reissue a Minimoog that sounds identical to the original for $200 a bit of a stretch and I think you state things too loosely on here.
Old 11th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
So tell me, why is Akai the only one who's dared charge a fair price for their excellent drum machine while others are trying to scam us into emptying our wallets for the same thing?
You're still ignoring the MFB522, the Volca Beats (half the price), the Monotribe, The Vermona Kick Lancet... all cheap modern analog drum machines. If you want to go up to $800 there's even more options...

Quote:
Still... so close to shipping and not an audio demo?
Come on, end of Summer is not that close!

The way things are going, there will probably be 2 or 3 more analog drum machines announced before this one goes on sale.
Old 11th March 2014
Quote:
Musikmesse 2014: Akai Rhythm Wolf (no sound demo)
i agree with the facepalm; would really like to know what kind of drum/bass sound is on offer here; guess we'll know soon enough.

Quote:
i agree again... those dials aren't gonna make many friends if they're like the one's on the Eowave Magma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
The way things are going, there will probably be 2 or 3 more analog drum machines announced before this one goes on sale.
lol
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same with Apple stuff. Sure, some of it isn't as good as their higher end stuff, but my wife bought a MacBook at around the same time I bought a Toshiba laptop and guess which one is still working well and useful? Hell, less than a year into the Toshiba's life the battery stopped talking a charge where the Apple battery still is running strong.
I have seen so many MacBook Pro mainboard failures amongst the Apple fanboys who I know, that I would suggest getting the longest warranty you can buy on them.

Their **** is much the same as anyone elses, just in fancy cases.

Quote:
I'm not saying that there isn't some level of "We're Moog so we can charge more" going, but I don't think it's nearly as good as you think it is. So tell me, why is Akai the only one who's dared charge a fair price for their excellent drum machine while others are trying to scam us into emptying our wallets for the same thing?
What other drum machines are available, at the moment, from non-boutique major manufacturers to compare this to?

Quote:
I'm done arguing with you as you seem to just like to argue on this forum. We'll see what the Rhythm Wolf sounds like when it's released. I hope you prove me wrong.
What am I supposed to be proving you wrong about again?

I simply questioned why this couldn't have the same sound quality as the XBase09, and still don't see 'why' it couldn't.

Whether it does or not, we will find out when we get to hear it, but I am not claiming it either way.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
You're still ignoring the MFB522, the Volca Beats (half the price), the Monotribe, The Vermona Kick Lancet... all cheap modern analog drum machines. If you want to go up to $800 there's even more options...

Come on, end of Summer is not that close!

I agree about another possible drum machine, keep your eye on arturia as i wouldn't surprise me one bit if they release an analog drum machine and do what they do best - steal the show as they usually do when they release some hardware
Old 11th March 2014
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
If you are talking about a $200 MiniMoog reissue ($200 was used by you for dramatic effect, it would probably have to be more in the $500-1000 range), then you are talking about reissuing a 1970 synth, with the same tolerance/quality of components they used in 1970, not necessarily what they are using now.
Quote:
You are not going to get a real Moog at $200, but that is due to the cost of the name, where the company wants to price it, not what is in the box. There is nothing special in a MiniMoog that couldn't be recreated in a box similar to the brutes.
Oh so now it's $500-$1000 range after you specifically stated the reason you can't get a Moog for $200 is because of their name and where they want to price it.

Quote:
Really not sure the high price of Apple and Sony gear is due to manufacturing costs, more likely you are paying for the "developed in Cupertino", "Apple", and "Sony" logos, along with their profit margins.
Which has nothing to do with Moog.

Quote:
And the base DSI synth sound quality itself has not moved on that much since then. He may have made legend synths like the Prophet 5, but the sound quality of his current gear doesn't hit the same mark.
Yawn.. subjective opinion.

Quote:
Moog isn't all that with sound quality anyway.
Again, subjective opinion. But I can't help but think this contradicts what you were saying earlier that they *could* make a brand new Minimoog replica that sounds identical in every aspect to the original.

Quote:
I'd personally rather the real thing, and will still buy a real 909 when I get around to it.
Yawn... who cares.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be0c6fb View Post
One person doesn't prove that everyone believes it sounds identical - also this person claims that the iPad app and VSTi are both spot on so I question the integrity of their opinion.

Anyways I'm not going to waste my time arguing if the MS-20 mini sounds identical or not to the original.
If someone has both, and is comparing them side by side, them I have some belief in what they are saying.

There are two different originals, so it depends on which you are comparing the MS-20 Mini to.

Quote:
I found your statement that Moog could reissue a Minimoog that sounds identical to the original for $200 a bit of a stretch and I think you state things too loosely on here.
I was actually saying that Moog could reissue a MiniMoog that sounds identical to the original, at a similar pricing to the Brutes, if they wanted to, I don't see that there is anything special in an original MiniMoog that couldn't be done in the same way, and at the same price, as the Brutes, beyong the cost of the brand name.
Quote:
We have $300 MiniBrutes, and $600 MS-20 Minis.

You are not going to get a real Moog at $200, but that is due to the cost of the name, where the company wants to price it, not what is in the box. There is nothing special in a MiniMoog that couldn't be recreated in a box similar to the brutes.
Old 11th March 2014
Quote:
I have seen so many MacBook Pro mainboard failures amongst the Apple fanboys who I know, that I would suggest getting the longest warranty you can buy on them.

Their **** is much the same as anyone elses, just in fancy cases.
I've been using Apples since 1996. The only failure I've ever experienced was with a 2005 G5 iMac which had a small run with bad components on the logic board. I called Apple (out of warranty) to inquire why my machine wasn't turning on and they directed me to the nearest Apple store where they replaced the logic board for free.

I recently donated a G3 iMac to the local Goodwill store that still worked fine.

My kids are using a 2006 Mac mini that's running strong.

Typing this from my i7 Mac mini that's a beast of a computer for what I paid and it has the best form factor of any "desktop" I've ever owned.

I suppose you can call me a fanboy too but my reasons for being one are definitely legit.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm definitely a fan of the simplicity of this little drum machine. It'd be nice if somebody eventually figured out where the trigger outs for the sequencer are, because it seems like the best thing so far for some easy plug-and-go drum programming of a modular or vermona (outside of actual modular trigger sequencers of course ...)
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

If it sounds excellent there will be quick back-tracking by many no doubt.
An analogue 4 voice drumbox is so cheap in terms of components, it's more a question of design skill. Volca with individual outs sounds great and I would expect the same with the Wolf.
Most people who whine about Volca beats just don't know how to mix it; on bootup it's mixed to be audible on a 1" computer speaker.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh so now it's $500-$1000 range after you specifically stated the reason you can't get a Moog for $200 is because of their name and where they want to price it.
No, the $200 figure was used by zero for dramatic effect, like I said in the quote, there is nothing in an original MiniMoog, circuit wise, that couldn't be done at a similar price to the Brutes.

If you put it in a small case, without a keyboard, like this $200 drum machine, then you could maybe get the price even closer.

Quote:
Which has nothing to do with Moog.
Sony/Apple/whatever was brought up by zero, when discussing cost of manufacturing in China, I was just responding to ongoing discussion.

Quote:
Yawn.. subjective opinion.
Subjective opinion, on a discussion forum, and someone being bored by someone else's opinion, who woulda thunk?

It is actually a subjective opinion that is shared by many who have hands/ears on experience with a wide range of analogue synths.

Quote:
Again, subjective opinion. But I can't help but think this contradicts what you were saying earlier that they *could* make a brand new Minimoog replica that sounds identical in every aspect to the original.
It does not contradict it at all, that was a design decision in a modern product, not a technical limitation of a vintage reissue.

What are the technical limitations that would prevent a MiniMoog replica from sounding identical to the original?

Quote:
Yawn... who cares.
If you don't care, don't respond, is it really that hard to ignore something you don't care about? Does it make you feel better or superior making responses like that?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

WARNING: Pretty off topic below, ya'll.

Quote:
Dude... you may have a bit of a problem. You just bought those instruments... did you even have them long enough to discover all their features? Why so fickle? I remember you being so in love with them...
Yeah, you're probably right. I tried really hard to like the A4 and it sounded amazing, but at the end of the day I just couldn't get into the workflow. It was a mistake of me to buy it.

As for the BS2, and Microbrute, and various other pedals etc - I sold all those to justify the purchase of the A4. I'm not balling hard enough to purchase an Analog Four without selling a bunch of other gear first, so I sold a lot of it to justify the purchase of the A4. I thought I'd get rid of the clutter and have more of an "all-in-one" solution. Again, it was a mistake, whatever. Who cares if I didn't invest the time to learn it's "true power"? I play with synths to have fun, it shouldn't feel like work.

The only one I regret selling is the BS2. I still think it is by far the best out of the current lineup of modern monosynths in terms of feature set to sound quality to price.

I also needed to shrink my gear's footprint quite a lot. I currently don't even have a midi controller besides the OP. The small footprint of the Rocket is appealing, and the sound quality sounds really good from the demos I've heard. It has a cool interface which I appreciate, too. With little modules like that, or even the small-ish Rythm Wolf, I like that I can put them away on a shelf and only pull them out when they're in use. My fiance doesn't want a bunch of **** laying around, and I can understand that. I'm doing my best to keep things clutter free.

Lastly, I'm on GEARSLUTZ.com, I like to try out new gear. Who cares if I buy something and flip it after a month or so at a ~10% monetary loss? It's fun. There are plenty of things that are great out there, it doesn't mean I have to hang onto them forever if I get a hold of one. I think it'd be a much bigger problem if I was buying tons of synths that just sat there unused. At least I sell stuff off if it doesn't click for me. You can always buy it again second-hand. I barely have to invest any new funds into what I buy.

So yeah. DON'T JUUUUUUDGE MEEEE MAAAAAN.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Love the name and the kraftwerk colour scheme, I will buy buy buy and run it through fuzz pedals
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

slujj: Get yourself another BSII mate, they are awesome. I totally understand how you feel about the A4; I have a Monomachine. Now, personally, I find the breadth of possibilities, the variety of engines and parameters - all married to a powerful sequencer - allow for a lot of creative potential. The menus / pages are quite well laid out and understandable. But it doesn't make me want to sell my ESX or anything else. Very much complimentary rather than a replacement.

Back on topic? Where are the demos?? Hopefully we'll get some tomorrow, Sonic State on the case?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's the world's first silent drum machine

How hip is that?
Old 11th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
It's the world's first silent drum machine

How hip is that?
John Cage hip that is!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

The bass should be interesting -- more interesting than the TB3 for my purposes.

At least it has its own out for processing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search