The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Oh my!

Can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

I hope, from the pic at least it isn't going to be tiny. Anyone got any idea how big the unit is?

I would really have liked the Volca Beats to be a bit larger tbh.

.... and please not let $199 equate to £249 in UK please!!
Old 11th March 2014
looks great, hope it sounds great and different from a tr-8 so they can complement each other when used together.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

interesting to see it's got trig in/out, as well as [808] intro & fill features! looks like akai did their homework
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be0c6fb View Post
I'm not saying that they couldn't, I don't have the background or expertise in designing and manufacturing a synthesizer. However I bet some would argue that "it doesn't sound the same" because it doesn't use discrete circuitry
If they redesign it using SMT components, instead of through hole, it is still discrete circuitry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be0c6fb View Post
I think people have complained about the MS-20 not sounding identical
Quote:
Originally Posted by SympaSizer View Post
The MS-20 mini is amazing, I have a vintage MS-20 and a white face Odyssey with a blue meanie filter. The mini MS is spot on, as is the Ipad app and VSTI.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Looks like all the wanna be tr-8 lovers have jumped onto the Akai thread.

Yeah you know who you are.

Cheers
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Wow, surprising news!

At first I was like YESSSS, then I saw the price, and I got a bit annoyed.

Imo, we really don't need any more toys or throw away gadgets. Build quality looks poor, and while it may surprise, at 200 dollars I'm concerned it won't actually be so good. Nice features though, the addition of a simple bass circuit is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizt View Post
.. One thing only, name is awful. Wolf? Really?
This is the first drum machine that made me think of a blues musician

Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

can't wait to hear it... only 2 outs but if it sounds good and workflow is good at that price i'll buy it
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Exactly. The cost of components is directly linked to their tolerance. The smaller the tolerance (deviation from stated value) the more expensive the component. My guess is that makers like Moog, MacBeth, GRP use the lowest tolerance components.
And what were the tolerances of components used in a 1970 MiniMoog, that are so expensive today?

Quote:
...but we synth users are a fickle bunch. Look at how rabidly we turned on Roland. You think we wouldn't do that to Moog if they started releasing junk based on their glory days? We would... and and probably with a greater fury.
Made in China no longer means it is junk, plenty of quality electronics is manufactured in China.

They make 200 different versions of the same couple of synths, and price them at the high end of the market.

Quote:
Moog stuff (I only own two of their products, a Sub Phatty and a Cluster Flux) is all of high build quality and from what I can hear it sounds great.
So it sounds great due to being made in the US, and if made in China it wouldn't sound as good, wouldn't sound the same? WTF?

Quote:
SimoninSomewhere said DSI stuff doesn't sound as good "by design" but that's silly as we all know that Dave Smith has designed some of the most sought after synths ever made. He hasn't forgotten how to do that. He's just making business decisions based on what he thinks the market will pay for an analog synth. He's cutting corners to bring his instruments in to a price point but that still have a good build quality. I like DSI stuff actually quite a bit but it's clear that they're in a different league than the above manufacturers I mentioned and it's not just because they don't know what they're doing.
I never said they don't know what they are doing, but their particular choices of voices on IC, digital effects, etc., have lead to their products not having the best analogue synth sounds.

Doesn't matter what his sought after vintage synths are like, the sound of his new gear is simply not held in the same regard.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
I wonder, with all these cheap analogs everybody will be able to afford, how long will analog be cool to the hipster community. If everybody and their mom goes analog it won't be hip any longer, right?. As with fashion trends this seems to go in circles. It won't be long till some hipster will make a statement and go against analog.
Wouldn't this mean that all the 'Aira' stuff with the rest of the VA's would go out
of fashion as well, I mean they're trying so hard to sound like analog...!
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Great news!
Now let's wait to hear how it sounds.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Besides that / more so, they don't care about a box analog sounding or not, they care about hip. Right now analog is hip. By the time digital is hip again they won't care if it sounds analog as long as it's digital.

Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wonder, with all these cheap analogs everybody will be able to afford, how long will analog be cool to the hipster community. If everybody and their mom goes analog it won't be hip any longer, right?. As with fashion trends this seems to go in circles. It won't be long till some hipster will make a statement and go against analog.
Yea, soon they'll all use emulated analog, because that's so much more forward-looking

Anyways, if you don't 'get' the analog thing besides its supposed 'hipness', get some better monitors, or just be happy you can get loads and loads of digital gear already, if that floats your boat.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aira / ACB is already frowned upon by the hipster community so a burst of the cheap analog bubble won't do any harm.
Besides that / more so, they don't care about a box analog sounding or not, they care about hip. Right now analog is hip. By the time digital is hip again they won't care if it sounds analog as long as it's digital.
Geez mate how old are you.

Please shut up and [email protected]#$ing like or buy something.

I can't say cheers this time as you give no one on this forum anything to be cheerful about.
Old 11th March 2014
Quote:

Aira / ACB is already frowned upon by the hipster community so a burst of the cheap analog bubble won't do any harm.
Who cares about them nasty little hipsters anyway? And what they consider hip or not at the moment?
I only care that the Rythm Wolf is going to be easy in terms of workflow and will sound adequate!
Or am i automatically a hipster if i prefer cheap and simple analogue over complex (in programming) digital stuff?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Aira is frowned upon by the hipster community?! hipsters only care about what's hyped & looks good.. they don't really care about what technology is used.. this Akai Wolf thing might be an incredible deal, but it's ugly as f*** and will never ever trump the hype Roland has created with TR-8 imo... except maybe on GS where "analog" + "low pricing" = "no brainer"
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
.... this Akai Wolf thing might be an incredible deal, but it's ugly as f*** and will never ever trump the hype Roland has created with TR-8 imo...

Hmmm, the TR-8 to me is a 'VEGAS MODE' arcade machine style visual mess. I personally have more interest in this Akai even this early into its announcment. It really has caught my interest, and apart from the bland knobs (which could be pimped), I think it looks excellent.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
but it's ugly as f*** and will never ever trump the hype Roland has created with TR-8 imo.
Hype… Roland TR-89 will outsell Akai wolfblitzer 100-1 and after all we went through together on the other thread I thought you were actually buying one.

Guess I've been deceived again.

How gullible of me to think we could of been friends.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
Aira is frowned upon by the hipster community?!
That's actually pretty much correct.

Quote:
hipsters only care about what's hyped & looks good..
They grow 'ironic moustache', their opinion of what 'looks good' might be different from Roland's. :D

Quote:
they don't really care about what technology is used..
Uhm... vinyl, cassettes, old bicycles etc. The retro **** pretty far defines a hipster.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I think it looks fantastic, the folks behind analog at AKAI certainly get it
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik View Post
I think it looks fantastic, the folks behind analog at AKAI certainly get it
this.

Although I'm planning to change those knobs to metal plated ones to visually integrate better with wooden sides. _b
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Hype… Roland TR-89 will outsell Akai wolfblitzer 100-1 and after all we went through together on the other thread I thought you were actually buying one.

Aira fanboy lovers tiff!

Can only be friends if you both buy Aira?

That **** is seriously pathetic!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

^ agreed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Uhm... vinyl, cassettes, old bicycles etc. The retro **** pretty far defines a hipster.
exactly, which is why a TR-808 / 909 / 303 re-issue by the original manufacturer with the retro logo will get them way more hyped then Akai (a brand never really known for analog anything)

@nikknak: huh?! dude relax.. we're only talking about [unreleased] drum machines here.. no need to get so emotional lol..
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You guys are so uptight at times
No I just remember the names that personally attacked everything that I said.

Not everything that I speculated or said I knew was wrong.

I don't expect anybody to wax lyrical about every thing Roland does or dislikes with there lack of feature set
however I do expect them to back up there likes /loves and stick to there guns.

I guess I can blame myself and man up about letting it get personal on the other thread.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aira fanboy lovers tiff!

Can only be friends if you both buy Aira?

That **** is seriously pathetic!
Simon …can't you read between the lines and detect my sarcasm.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Didn't read all the thread as it turned promptly into immensly annoying 12 pages of bullcrap.

Do we have a single sound to feed our ears somewhere ?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=xanax;9929500]exactly, which is why a TR-808 / 909 / 303 re-issue by the original manufacturer with the retro logo will get them way more hyped then Akai (a brand never really known for analog anything) [QUOTE]

Hipsters didn't go for mp3 Walkmans, now did they?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really?
IMO the 'Wolf' has more visual clutter, looks thrown together, I wouldn't be surpsrised if the started 'developing' this only after Roland started teasing Aira.

The TR-8 looks kinda Swiss minimal to me, just wish they skipped Scatter and the green outer lining.
Yes. Really

The TR-8 looks like a prop from Tron, I hate all that cycling light show bollox (like on KingKorg & Electribes). It just makes me think I need to slot 10p in somewhere and press 'play' Looks kinda cheap.

Actually quite like the TR sound wise, but deffo have no intention of buying one.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post

Hipsters didn't go for mp3 Walkmans, now did they?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Nooooooooooooooooo! I just bought an MFB522 :(

Waiting to hear the demos, and especially interested in the MIDI implementation of this thing.. Hoping it's going to be CC-automatable!

(Aira fanboys, get over it.. "Roland is a f*n joke"TM)

But Y no booty claps?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post

Lol, please someone call the whaaambulance, you thought you could be friends, but now it's all gonna fall to pieces.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search