The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
My mistake…finally found the official spec of 16 patterns…

Still not all that generous by 2014 standards...
well.. 32 if you count A/B
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
well.. 32 if you count A/B
I'm just going by what Roland's spec sheet says…16 user patterns.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I'm just going by what Roland's spec sheet says…16 user patterns.
Right, but it's true in that a "pattern" contains basically two patterns (A and B). B can be a variation of A or an entirely different pattern or an extension of the first pattern, etc.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by damondarkwalker View Post
They should name it Bad Wolf for us Doctor Who fans!
I heart you.

And yes...would love me some Martha and Rose.

Oh hell, toss in some Amy Pond as well.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfunk View Post
E. Since when did Akai start making quality gear? They haven't released a good piece of hardware since MPC4000 and even that had bugs!
I wanted to say the MPC1000 is a pretty solid kit... but that's with JJOS and the later model pads...

Still, once that's all done it's a great if not classic instrument.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_mike View Post
I wanted to say the MPC1000 is a pretty solid kit... but that's with JJOS and the later model pads...
And don't forget about the buttons that love to cave in and break
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I really wouldn't cancel the OT - I've had mine for about 2 weeks and this is a mini studio - the akai would be a great partner to the ot - on fact the ot and the akai and I don't care about the new AR which I was sorta playing with idea of getting. Look for an OT second hand as I was going to buy a new one froma dealer but over at the elektron forum I bought an OT and an A4 for the price of a new OT.
I certainly won't be buying 2 samplers. (Fecking GS...suggest you're not going to buy something and they suggest you buy 2 because they would work well together!!!)

I already have a sequencer so half of the OT is redundant for my use. I like the idea that it has a large storage capacity and I can move stuff in and out with ease, as well as the fact that it has some knobs to edit in real time and cc which I can control. Now Akai gives me all of this without having to pay for something I don't need, mainly the sequencer and it still comes in hundreds of dollars below the cost of the Elektron sampler.

I justified it by saying $700 is reasonable for a modern high capacity portable sampler I just have to suck it up and pay another 700 for a sequencer I won't use for the most part. As of this morning thats just not true anymore. At first I paid no mind to the little Akai 16 this morning... but then I noticed the knobs which are not one the Mpx8 and then I read the akai blurb about midi. I think its going to do just fine. Still I wouldn't mind an OT...damn it.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_mike View Post

Still, once that's all done it's a great if not classic instrument.
Totally agree about the MPC1000. It kinda has an amazing history when you consider how much hype and excitement it generated only to become one of the most hated pieces of gear of its era due to that awful pad sensor design. Who knew it would bring down Akai only to rise out of the ashes as an absolute powerhouse thanks to JJOS and pad and screen mods. Still people don't realize its rebirth had absolutely nothing to do with Akai.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

That'll look lovely sat next to my TR-8.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be0c6fb View Post
So are you inferring that Moog is just holding back yet in reality they could design, manufacturer, and sell an identical reissue to the Minimoog for $200, and on top of it they could fit it all in a box similar to the size of a Minibrute?
Exactly. The cost of components is directly linked to their tolerance. The smaller the tolerance (deviation from stated value) the more expensive the component. My guess is that makers like Moog, MacBeth, GRP use the lowest tolerance components.

I know Moogs are made in the USA where we have laws that protect workers to some degree, so you're not going to get a synth as cheap as it can be made in China, so there's some extra cost. Plus Moog markets and advertises... and yes they probably charge a bit because they are a household name in analog synths.

...but we synth users are a fickle bunch. Look at how rabidly we turned on Roland. You think we wouldn't do that to Moog if they started releasing junk based on their glory days? We would... and and probably with a greater fury.

Moog stuff (I only own two of their products, a Sub Phatty and a Cluster Flux) is all of high build quality and from what I can hear it sounds great. SimoninSomewhere said DSI stuff doesn't sound as good "by design" but that's silly as we all know that Dave Smith has designed some of the most sought after synths ever made. He hasn't forgotten how to do that. He's just making business decisions based on what he thinks the market will pay for an analog synth. He's cutting corners to bring his instruments in to a price point but that still have a good build quality. I like DSI stuff actually quite a bit but it's clear that they're in a different league than the above manufacturers I mentioned and it's not just because they don't know what they're doing.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
I certainly won't be buying 2 samplers. (Fecking GS...suggest you're not going to buy something and they suggest you buy 2 because they would work well together!!!)

I already have a sequencer so half of the OT is redundant for my use. I like the idea that it has a large storage capacity and I can move stuff in and out with ease, as well as the fact that it has some knobs to edit in real time and cc which I can control. Now Akai gives me all of this without having to pay for something I don't need, mainly the sequencer and it still comes in hundreds of dollars below the cost of the Elektron sampler.

I justified it by saying $700 is reasonable for a modern high capacity portable sampler I just have to suck it up and pay another 700 for a sequencer I won't use for the most part. As of this morning thats just not true anymore. At first I paid no mind to the little Akai 16 this morning... but then I noticed the knobs which are not one the Mpx8 and then I read the akai blurb about midi. I think its going to do just fine. Still I wouldn't mind an OT...damn it.
If this thing can do 10% of what the OT can do, then it's a great deal! Go for it...
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Wood paneling for retro vibes?
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I guess what I mean is that there are samplers, and then there are sound-****ing manglers extra-ordinaire!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I am currently in the market for a drum machine (don't have the cash for an Elektron or a Tempest) - now Akai pops this baby out right at the right time - now I need to decide whether I should still get the AIRA TR-8

I've been really happy with the build quality of my MPK-25. Especially the keyboard - it's very nice compared to a lot of synths even. I'm not so sure about their MPK pads tho - I think the Maschine ones are a little nicer.

Good job Akai - can't wait to hear some demos of it
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru
Have a good feeling it will sound nothing like the TR-8

EDIT: BTW - I'm really curious what the hell this thing will sound like..
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland4387 View Post
It's ok, but why not a cool animal like, say, an armadillo or a weasel?
I can tell you why not weasel in one pic

Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru
That's rad as ****!
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Addict

I'm interested to see some teaser videos on this to hear what it sounds like. I'll probably buy it for the gadget factor alone.

If this is a success -- and I think it will be -- I hope Akai will make a more full featured analog drum machine / monosynth in the $500-$700 range.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru
The one thing I really admire about Akai is they never make anything stylized... Just tools.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm grateful for Akai (and Korg) for being a big player pushing out analogs.
I have this gut feeling that they're both testing the markets with these cheap
little boxes to see if people really still want analog. If the market says 'yes',
they might start making us some bigger boxes as well. (please!)

This should put pressure on Roland as well, they just can't repackage VA
again next year.

(Oh wait, it's Roland. Sure they can! )
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The one thing I really admire about Akai is they never make anything stylized... Just tools.
Then why not just make this matte black with red text? Really would look so much better than the red/white on silver on black. This seems pretty "stylized" to me, just kinda ugly. Akai's newer midi controllers seemed pretty stylized, too.

You want a complete lack of aesthetics in the purist Spartan sense? Look at MFB products. If they just chose a different font for the labeling their stuff would look 10x better, I think that's the point though, the lack of aesthetic is the aesthetic (totally "hardcore" in function over fashion).

Akai definitely set out to make this thing stand out in appearance (wooden cheeks!), whether it looks good or not is a different story.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
You want a complete lack of aesthetics in the purist Spartan sense?
Sheet of sanding paper and a felt-tip pen for labeling -> instant ghetto aesthetics.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
I'm grateful for Akai (and Korg) for being a big player pushing out analogs.
I have this gut feeling that they're both testing the markets with these cheap
little boxes to see if people really still want analog.
Those two sentences sorta.. contradict themselves..

I like my japanese synths a bit more mid-grade..
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
Then why not just make this matte black with red text? Really would look so much better than the red/white on silver on black. This seems pretty "stylized" to me, just kinda ugly. Akai's newer midi controllers seemed pretty stylized, too.
I meant workflow/layout.. not aesthetics.
There's 10 ways to use Akai products.. but 3 ways are correct.. they give you the freedom to **** up... I like that.

I hope this thing sounds sorta ruff.. somewhere between a TR-606 and a KR-55 but, not like the Volca's where you think the batteries are dying..
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those two sentences sorta.. contradict themselves...
Sorry, I don't quite understand...?
(English is like my third language, please bear with me)

One thing though; what the f*ck is "Metallic Percussion"?
Sounds like a happy accident/failed attempt while trying to model cowbell with analog components.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Cymbals, basically. With so few controls you won't be getting any bell-like tones out of it.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Nice post, my friend.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Cymbals, basically.
You think? Wouldn't that make it a bit too focused on cymbals (3/5 of drum sounds being one)?

Not saying you're wrong, just wondering...

Quote:
With so few controls you won't be getting any bell-like tones out of it.
It has the 'mod' control, not enough?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
My guess from the hinting press:

BD: 909 esque attack/body 808 esque tail
SN: 909 esque
My guess goes towards 606/808.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

OMG just saw this thread. OMG.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search