The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Raw House Music Studio Setup! Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th March 2014
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
It's nothing to do with 'technically', to me they just plain suck offensively sound wise. Brittle up top and hollow round the bottom. Not at all spot on for any dance music I love. That doesn't get made any better by whoever might have used it to do albums that would have been even better done on any other desk.
Blasphemy!

but seriously i agree 100%. as you know I've always had a soft spot for soundcraft, so i totally agree with your assessment of your mate being the nuts one in that scenario.
Old 11th March 2014
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Sam an huel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Mackie 8 bus for a raw sound! A lot of French house was done with these and cheaper..
Maaan. In theory, but half if not all of those kids where from rich families, showbiz, parisian night milieu etc... and had access to nice people, recording studios.
If some of them worked at home on a Mackie, they sound way more expensive than that in the end.

It is a short i think, plus they were suckerz as far as selling their own legend.

SSL, Euphonix... Whatever very expensive in the end for sure. I mean, listen to Pansoul for example.
This landmark album is far from sounding Mackie, it is the work of 2 engineers that both worked in one of the most famous french studio, loaded with SSL, Neve.

Many drum and bass and techno of that era does sound Mackie. French House, not so much.
Mackies are perfectly fine for some things, and at propagate legends too.

Just a side thought.
Old 12th March 2014
  #33
Lives for gear
Allen and Heath zed r-16.

Very flexible, very good value for money, very long thread elsewhere on here that I recommend reading.

Great eq, can use it as an entirely analogue summing desk, or can have 16 channels recording into a mac over FireWire at once and great routing options so you can have plugins running on each channel as though they were outboard.

I've got one and make house. Sounds very good indeed. Keep your options open and at least give it a read of the thread on here or sound on sound review.
Old 12th March 2014
  #34
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam an huel View Post
SSL, Euphonix... Whatever very expensive in the end for sure. I mean, listen to Pansoul for example.
This landmark album is far from sounding Mackie, it is the work of 2 engineers that both worked in one of the most famous french studio, loaded with SSL, Neve.

Just a side thought.

Do you know any info/details about recording process of Pansoul? Thats would i love to hear. #1 club record of all the times for me
Old 12th March 2014
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Barfunkel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump View Post
Allen and Heath zed r-16.
The lack of groups is a major bummer though. For just a few hundred more, you could get a Midas Venice F24 which has them.
Old 12th March 2014
  #36
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam an huel View Post
Maaan. In theory, but half if not all of those kids where from rich families, showbiz, parisian night milieu etc... and had access to nice people, recording studios.
If some of them worked at home on a Mackie, they sound way more expensive than that in the end.

It is a short i think, plus they were suckerz as far as selling their own legend.

SSL, Euphonix... Whatever very expensive in the end for sure. I mean, listen to Pansoul for example.
This landmark album is far from sounding Mackie, it is the work of 2 engineers that both worked in one of the most famous french studio, loaded with SSL, Neve.

Many drum and bass and techno of that era does sound Mackie. French House, not so much.
Mackies are perfectly fine for some things, and at propagate legends too.

Just a side thought.
I was thinking of people like daft punk and alan braxe etc..they cranked cheap mackies and alesis as part of their sound.. (but also used old pt 24 systems)
Alan Braxe interview and video studio tour | MusicRadar
dont get me wrong..im all over a neve if possible..but dont overlook the cheap stuff if going for something specific..
Old 12th March 2014
  #37
Here for the gear
 

Rather envious of your setup! I too want to make raw sounding House and also trying to get OTB. So far I have (drum roll...) an Akai S1000 and an Alesis 3630! Anyway, I don't have answers but what I do have is questions!
1. Does recording to DAT sound any different to recording into a DAW, add any kind of vibe?
2. I'm looking to get a small mixer for a minimal setup, consisting of the sampler and for now one synth (tx81z I'm thinking), to record stabs and stuff into the sampler and use the synth for basslines. Hoping to get a small cheap mixer for this, I see mackies aren't getting much love so any recommendations?
Old 12th March 2014
  #38
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budge View Post
1. Does recording to DAT sound any different to recording into a DAW, add any kind of vibe?
DAT is 48kHz, so you're going to have to convert it down to 44.1kHz if you want to use Red Book -standard. Otherwise it's the ADC that might (or not) impact the sound in recording stage, depends on the DAT-deck that you use.

I see that you have the S1000, does it have HD-recording? If it does, I would use that other than DAT.
Old 12th March 2014
  #39
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
DAT is 48kHz, so you're going to have to convert it down to 44.1kHz if you want to use Red Book -standard. Otherwise it's the ADC that might (or not) impact the sound in recording stage, depends on the DAT-deck that you use.

I see that you have the S1000, does it have HD-recording? If it does, I would use that other than DAT.
Do you mean use the sampler to record a full track into? I wunt of thought it has enough memory!
Old 12th March 2014
  #40
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budge View Post
Do you mean use the sampler to record a full track into? I wunt of thought it has enough memory!
HD as in Hard Drive.
Old 12th March 2014
  #41
Here for the gear
 

Looking at the Mackie 1402, looks perfect for me and there's a thread on here giving it bare love!
Old 12th March 2014
  #42
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
HD as in Hard Drive.
Haha, oh sorry thought you meant high def! No unfortunately hasn't
Old 12th March 2014
  #43
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
DAT is 48kHz, so you're going to have to convert it down to 44.1kHz if you want to use Red Book -standard. Otherwise it's the ADC that might (or not) impact the sound in recording stage, depends on the DAT-deck that you use.

I see that you have the S1000, does it have HD-recording? If it does, I would use that other than DAT.
DAT is 48kHz? Only if you set it to 48kHz. And yes, a DAT will undoubtedly impart its colour. Quite a small and dark sound by today's standard, but arguably not unpleasant, say if you use a Panasonic SV3700/3800. Will sound like 90's house, as that all went to DAT.

An S1000 doesn't have HD recording, only the S1100 does.
Old 12th March 2014
  #44
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
DAT is 48kHz? Only if you set it to 48kHz.
Yes, my fault. I remembered that it was locked to 48kHz, but that just sounds crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
An S1000 doesn't have HD recording, only the S1100 does.
I have S1100 and S3200, and they both have HD recording. I tought it was a thing for all Akai Sxx00-series samplers. I guess my mind is leaning a bit too much towards todays technology when I take these kind of features for granted.

I haven't tried HD recording on Akai, but I heard from somewhere that William Orbit digs their phase coherency.
Old 12th March 2014
  #45
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
Yes, my fault. I remembered that it was locked to 48kHz, but that just sounds crazy.


I have S1100 and S3200, and they both have HD recording. I tought it was a thing for all Akai Sxx00-series samplers. I guess my mind is leaning a bit too much towards todays technology when I take these kind of features for granted.

I haven't tried HD recording on Akai, but I heard from somewhere that William Orbit digs their phase coherency.
Only the flagship ones had HD recording, but then you have the flagship ones.

The reference to phase coherency is a bit old in the tooth, as the first lot of stereo samplers weren't all as good as each other with that. As far as recording into the Akai he would have liked what it does to the tone and punch.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump