The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 8th March 2014
  #1
Gear Nut
 
drambitz's Avatar
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe

i've been taking notes while trying to figure out how to best integrate my hardware with Logic and it kinda turned into a test/review of Midi Quest 11 Demo. thought i'd share.

objectives:

- resurrect the Yamaha TX816
- find a way to edit the patches efficiently
- integrate into Logic
- waste days if not weeks in order to do something which the FM8 does in seconds



last night i turned on this lean mean black machine for the first time in a gagillion years and i was greeted by the very familiar relay type clicking sounds as the boards quickly came to. a real trip down memory lane. board number 8 showed up with “error 4? and a quick glance at the useful operational guide (which slides out from under the machine itself) revealed that it’s merely a “low battery” warning. no big deal.

as i look at it with intention i cant help to think that this design is the biggest FU to an UI ever put forward by engineer kind. and people complain about the DX7. to be fair if you imagine an era where synths were big wooden sided things with like 200 knobs and sliders then this design is as avant-garde as it gets. in 1984 when it came out, come on… it was a band in a box and portable too, it ain’t light but have you ever carried a DX7? how about 8 of them? space age stuff i tell ya with a chassis to match.

hooking up

i connected the midi cable from my 128 midi express to the TX “common” midi input in the front (they’re on a slant btw, how fancy) and connected the line out of module 1 and 2, which just to make things more cumbersome are XLRs, and plugged into my desk. set the TX to receive “common” midi set midi channels and opened Logic to see if i can get any sounds out … and … it works and sounds gorgeous! that’s about 70% of the battle right there methinks. even if i never get to edit this i can see myself using some of the factory presets quite often.

patch editor librarian

i’ve spent more time than i care to admit trying to find a well reputed, supported but mostly working librarian, that would possibly cover all my gear in one program. long story short, MidiQuest 11 is out. yes, everybody and their nana allegedly has had problems with this software and it’s developers but vrs 11 has been 5 years in the making (so i presume they ironed out some issues and i have the feeling all the negativity may be self perpetuating random quotation rather than personal experience) and it boasts AU plugin functionality and since i really can’t find any better alternative and having never tried it before, what the heck, i took a leap of faith and downloaded the demo version hoping it wont corrupt Logic or whatever coz some of the stories out there really don’t put this piece of software in a good light. fingers crossed then.

installing Midi Quest 11 demo



downloaded, unpacked, installed and executed. it asks for a registration number which i don’t have so i proceeded with the demo. it asks for the midi ports you’re going to use with it, all of them in my case, then prompts you to connect to their servers to download the components that will interface with your gear. i downloaded only the TX and the DX7 modules (instruments as they’re called in the software) for the time being and it seems like it communicates with the TX no problem with the auditioning tool sounding out the loaded patch. i’m not going to bother with activating the Audio Units plugins quite yet coz i want to get to grips with the software first.

taking a dump

and after a loooong introductory video i found on the tube regarding vrs. 9 and 10 but easily referable to vrs.11 and a quick glance at the included .pdf manual it seems like the first smart thing to do is to back up the internal memory of your machine and save it just in case you accidentally wipe out all the banks.

that’s when i realised that in order to work properly this system requires for all your synths to be connected with both midi in and out. not really a big deal though so i connected the TX’s midi out to my midi interface. the second prerequisite is that all your machines are enabled to receive and transmit sysex at all times. this is different for every machine so MidiQuest kindly gives you “fast tips” or reminders on how to do this for every piece of gear at the click of a button. except, naturally, for the TX816 which has to refer to the tips for the DX7. after a quick glance i’m already resigned to having to open the TX’s manual and start “translating” from the DX’s panel to the TX’s but at least (in this case) the “fast tips” tell you, if not how to do things, at least what needs to be done.

that said the lazy man in me told me to hit the “get voice bank” button and see what happens and, like magic MidiQuest retrieved all 32 patches from the first module of the TX with names and memory number. clicking on the names changes the patch and the sound is auditioned. very cool. i reckon i will have to setup the TX as advised in order to dump new patches to it, but for now let’s see if i can save this bank to my computer and what i can do with what i’ve got on my screen.



it doesn’t seem like the “instrument” has the capability to manage the TX’s multiple cards and i’d imagine you would run an instance for every card you intend to use, it also seems as though i can’t save the patches, hopefully just a limitation of the demo. [it also seems like the “randomize” sound function is disabled in the demo. this function gets me very excited and it’s a pity i can’t try it. so my next step is… nope. it works read on]

the randomise function

there’ a set of buttons at the top of MQ’s interface that lets you randomise the parameters of your patches. or rather, by selecting two or more patches you can mix, morph, blend patches to various user definable amounts. THIS IS AMAZING. in a matter of seconds i’ve effortlessly created a bunch of very cool and, most importantly, usable sounds. this is a new lease on life for many a synth. brilliant.



making an AU plugin for the TX816

i selected the “instrument” and from the drop-down selected the plugin installer. it asks what format you want to install (AU, VST, SC) and off it goes telling you the plugin has been installed. i shut Logic and restarted it and… scanning Audio Units… trying for some reason to detect the ports again even if the’ve already been configured… and.. it’s there ready to be inserted as a software instrument! cool! problem is it autodetected the wrong ports so it can’t fetch the banks from the TX so i click on settings set the ports et voilà, i can now choose patches by name from inside my DAW! in theory i can now also edit the sounds from there but hang on a minute, i think i’ve found my…



[first bug: can’t resize the giant window that opens with the plugin and it wont go to the background when you click the arrange window or anything else in Logic for that matter. also all the plugin’s settings screens appear UNDER it. you have to move it out of the way if you want to get to them. this could be a major PITA. if i didn’t have a second monitor (where it barely fits) i’d probably quit now. but on we go.wrong! the plugin is pretty gigantic but as Gadget Fiend kindly and accurately pointed out: “the default behavior for plugin windows to be “Always on top” in Logic (and in most other DAWs)? So again, I don’t think this is a bug with Midi Quest but is rather the way plugin windows function in Logic.” the bug was in fact, in my brain..]

importing good ‘ol .syx files

so here i am merrily selecting TX816 patches on my gigantic window from Logic. (man these brasses are awesome) now i want to upload some of the DX7 sounds i have found through Dave Benson’s page and see how that works out. (in the end i’m not backing up the memory coz: a. i’m lazy b. i can’t due to demo limitations c. i’ve got another 7 modules with the same patches on them).

to do this it seems i have to go back to the “standalone” and drag and drop the .syx into the “studio” window. i’ll try with “italian3.syx” patch hoping for some italo goodness but mostly hoping it will load. and it works! drag and drop! worth a mention patches 1, 9 and 32 with the names “vaffanculo”, “clavicazz” and “fregna max” respectively. awesome. at this point (if you could) you would save the .syx into MidiQuest format and it would then be available to load in the AU plugin. just quick mention for the great tagging capability for each sound in each bank. this should make life pretty sweet once you’ve backed up a few patches.



if they’d fix the aforementioned bug i’d be pretty much sold already but let’s upload the patches to the TX and re-open the plugin in Logic and, wait.. it didn’t upload (naturally) cos i havn’t “write enabled” the TX yet..

saving patches to the TX

before i get out the manual i’d like to point out a…

second bug: you can’t quit MidiQuest standalone if you have a MidiQuest plugin open in your DAW. it asks you to save, which you can’t do coz it’s a demo so you gotta force quit. i’m thinking this won’t be the case in the full version, but for now it’s there. back to the job at hand. i gotta do this “translation”.

DX7

1. Match MIDI Channel to SysEx Ch

Press Function keyel to Comm Ch
Press “8? to show SYSINFO status
Hit YES to make AVAIL

2. Turn off Memory Protect for dumps

Press “Memory Protect Internal
Press “No” to set Internal off

TX816

1. Match MIDI Channel to SysEx Ch

cant find anything relevant
in the manual.
see below

2. Turn off Memory Protect for dumps

press memory protect button
light goes off. done.

i’ve been through the manual a couple times now and it doesn’t seem like ther’s an option that allows you to “make sysinfo avail”. i dunno. the closest thing i found is in the image below which if i’m not entirely mistaken at point (b) tells you what you need to do in order to receive a dump.



my best guess at this point is that sysex is by default set to be recieved on the same channel as midi in. so, why cant i dump data from MidiQuest? maybe it’s another limitation of the demo version. at this point i have a few questions to email to the SoundQuest people. [it would’ve been nice to have a list of “limitations” for the demo so one wouldn’t go too crazy trying to figure things out. yes it’s a demo limitation. there IS a list of these on the online manual (link at the end of the post), but not on the one included in the software cos strictly speaking it’s a serial protected full retail version.]

i want to believe

to be frank i don’t really need to store stuff to the TX when i can have any number of patches stored on my computer which i can call up at the click of a button and which will sound off the machine. plus (in theory) any sound i use within the plugin will be automatically recalled when i open a project in Logic. now lets see if i can..

edit patches from Logic

my knowledge of FM synthesis is practically inexistent, that’s why a random patch generator is so appealing, but given the graphic interface MidiQuest provides one feels confident enough to give it a bash. back in Logic i shove the cumbersome MidiQuest plugin window to one side and select patch 9 “backbrass” cos it’s got some sustain and will be easier to hear changes. i track a sustained chord for 4 bars, loop it and.. it doesn’t play back. balls. why? the same track in an “external midi” channel plays back no problem. time to read the manual again.

in the meantime i started playing with the editor while the patch was being triggered by the “external midi” track. OMG! is all i’m going to say right now. that and the fact that MidiQuest demo only allows 8 parameters to be edited in a patch after which it stops. but you can still modify the first 8 you selected (it seems) but first gotta find out why the plugin doesn’t play back recorded midi info. kinda important.

i quote from the manual:

“ On the Macintosh, Midi Quest and the host application will happily share MIDI port resources. As a result, we recommend that you take advantage of multiple tracks. The Midi Quest plug-in should be instantiated on one track and that track should only contain automation and MIDI events that are intended for the plug-in itself. Any MIDI performance events (note on, note off, etc) should be recorded to one or more additional MIDI tracks and sent directly to the instrument. This configuration will give you the best possible MIDI timing while taking advantage of Midi Quest’s plug-in capabilities.”

kind of a bummer. this means you’ve got 3 tracks for each synth. 1. midi notes 2. midiquest 3. audio.

back to editing

although manipulating the interface obviously changes the sound in real time and records automation information into Logic, unfortunately the automation does not play back. again, is it a malfunction or a limitation of the demo? and again (since i want to believe) i’m gonna now try and connect my NanoKontrol2 and see if i can map a knob or two to some parameters so i can do live manipulation and just record the audio (which is what i normally do with my synths that have knobs on them anyways).



worth noting that (if it worked) the plugin is not able to do automation ramps (curves) just events per second if you know what i mean. the manual says it’s because the synths will only accept “discreet values” and not “continuos value changes” like their virtual “grandchildren”.

tried to automate the coarse tuning on operator 1 for a while now and i can’t say i’m having much luck. my NanoKontrol will move the data in the arrange window corresponding to the plugin parameter but nothing happens within the plugin or to the sound. [so, at least for the TX816, i must presume i cannot automate parameters but i can still push them around with my mouse in real time on the screen. at this point i’d better off with Midi CC. i think it’s quitting time…again, it’s a limitation of the demo.]

summing up

i emailed Sound Quest and got an answer within a few hours and edited this article accordingly.

after a few days of trying Midi Quest 11 demo i’m really happy with what i’ve seen and heard. and to be fair the TX816 probably isn’t the easiest machine to test a multi instrument editor librarian on. but that’s what i’m looking for and i need it especially for these kinds of less intuitive machines. i'm thinking something like MQ 11 can even help me "ergonomize" the studio, for eg if it delivers with the Juno 106 i'm totally just gona stand it on it's side tucked away cosily in a corner.

i'm going to keep giving it a run with my other machines and will post again if there's anything worth mentioning.

in the meantime i've already tried it with my Roland R-8 and it looks gorgeous. i also tried it with my Korg Poly-800 only to learn after many years that the MK1 does not do sysex! there’s a couple of mods that can be done to the Poly to give it extended midi functionality, so it seems i just opened a whole new can of worms!

Last edited by drambitz; 10th March 2014 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: corrections
Old 8th March 2014
  #2
Gear Head
Have you givena. Look to ctrlr? It's a great open source, cross platform and free alternative to soundquest.
Old 8th March 2014
  #3
Gear Nut
 
drambitz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_r_i_x View Post
Have you givena. Look to ctrlr? It's a great open source, cross platform and free alternative to soundquest.
yes, just on their website though. if i remember correctly it looks very promising but does not support too many synths and i don't think i have the willpower to develop my own modules. i'll take a better look though.
Old 8th March 2014
  #4
Sounds like they make it difficult to evaluate. For something that cost as much as it does, you would think they could offer a fully functional trial that expires. I know they are concerned about piracy, but hackers always find a way and these days it usually is a full version copy that they hack.

Maybe they have a list of features that are disabled in the demo? I am a bit interested in Midiquest, but not really sure if I can justify the cost. It seems like the most synth compatible librarian available. I never bought it before because it was really expensive (cheaper version available now) and it didn't seem like they were keeping up with it. This is the first product revision in how many years?
Old 8th March 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 
rids's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drambitz View Post
summing up

i’m quite happy with what i’ve seen all in all and depending on what kind of answers i get from the developers i’ll decide whether or not to go with this piece of software as all i’m really after is a librarian with recall capabilities from Logic that will talk to all my gear without having to fiddle with single editors for each piece (i’m not even going to try that it’s not my kind of workflow). to be fair the TX816 probably isn’t the easiest machine to test a multi instrument editor librarian on. but that’s what i’m looking for and i need it especially for these kinds of less intuitive machines. for example an editor librarian for my Quasimidi Sirius (for my needs) is practically pointless as i can twiddle that thing to bits in seconds and it has a lot of user patch memories. having said that i wouldn’t mind having a library of Sirius sounds two clicks a way at all times (either way it’s not supported by MidiQuest, i wonder if they take requests).

i'll post again with replies i might get from Sound Quest.
Thanks for going in depth on this. It definitely seems like 'the' editor. THe best aspect of this is that they can be AU with your DAW. That's too bad you couldn't get the automation to work properly, but hopefully that's just some sort of demo limitation.. Because if I'm not mistaken they advertise that you can automate the AUs. And this would be incredible. Are you contacting them regarding this? I'm curious about automation via midi CC.

People say this thing is pricey, but it's actually not. think of the 500 or so hardware synth editors you get with it. On top of that, you can access them directly inside your DAW. I really think this thing could breath a ton of new life into old hardware synths.
Old 9th March 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 
teceem's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
People say this thing is pricey, but it's actually not. think of the 500 or so hardware synth editors you get with it. On top of that, you can access them directly inside your DAW. I really think this thing could breath a ton of new life into old hardware synths.
Pretty cheap for people with 500 synths, but what about those with only 1?
Old 9th March 2014
  #7
Gear Nut
 
drambitz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Thanks for going in depth on this. It definitely seems like 'the' editor. THe best aspect of this is that they can be AU with your DAW. That's too bad you couldn't get the automation to work properly, but hopefully that's just some sort of demo limitation.. Because if I'm not mistaken they advertise that you can automate the AUs. And this would be incredible. Are you contacting them regarding this? I'm curious about automation via midi CC.

People say this thing is pricey, but it's actually not. think of the 500 or so hardware synth editors you get with it. On top of that, you can access them directly inside your DAW. I really think this thing could breath a ton of new life into old hardware synths.
yep, i'm dropping them a mail later this morning. will post outcomes. honestly, different strokes for different folks... it costs in the region of one of them "brand name" software synths. i think some people say it's pricey just coz they're used to getting their software "by other means". so anything is pricier than zero. i haven't heard many people complain about the price of Omnisphere at £300.
Old 9th March 2014
  #8
Gear Nut
 
drambitz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by teceem View Post
Pretty cheap for people with 500 synths, but what about those with only 1?
exactly. if you have the one synth there's tons of dedicated and free patch/librarians an there's really no point in going for MQ.

if MQ works as advertised it supports some 20 machines that i own, including reverbs which would be just awesome to have inside Logic. this is the first version to support AU. it's like, i kinda need it to work.
Old 9th March 2014
  #9
Gear Nut
 
drambitz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Sounds like they make it difficult to evaluate. For something that cost as much as it does, you would think they could offer a fully functional trial that expires. I know they are concerned about piracy, but hackers always find a way and these days it usually is a full version copy that they hack.

Maybe they have a list of features that are disabled in the demo? I am a bit interested in Midiquest, but not really sure if I can justify the cost. It seems like the most synth compatible librarian available. I never bought it before because it was really expensive (cheaper version available now) and it didn't seem like they were keeping up with it. This is the first product revision in how many years?
looked everywhere and found no "limitations" list. usually on big software you get that "comparison" chart between versions (which they did) but no mention about the demo.
Old 9th March 2014
  #10
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Thanks for going in depth on this. It definitely seems like 'the' editor. THe best aspect of this is that they can be AU with your DAW. That's too bad you couldn't get the automation to work properly, but hopefully that's just some sort of demo limitation.. Because if I'm not mistaken they advertise that you can automate the AUs. And this would be incredible. Are you contacting them regarding this? I'm curious about automation via midi CC.

People say this thing is pricey, but it's actually not. think of the 500 or so hardware synth editors you get with it. On top of that, you can access them directly inside your DAW. I really think this thing could breath a ton of new life into old hardware synths.
Automation with MidiQuest 11 is working fine for me in Live using the VST. Only 1 track needed as well since i'm using the instrument plugin.

It doesn't always pull through the parameter names for my Matrix 1000 I want to automate, but it's easy enough to work out what is doing what, or I can just map them to a macro and name that accordingly.

It's certainly the fixed my editor for old hardware issues.
Old 9th March 2014
  #11
Gear Nut
 
drambitz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
Automation with MidiQuest 11 is working fine for me in Live using the VST. Only 1 track needed as well since i'm using the instrument plugin.

It doesn't always pull through the parameter names for my Matrix 1000 I want to automate, but it's easy enough to work out what is doing what, or I can just map them to a macro and name that accordingly.

It's certainly the fixed my editor for old hardware issues.
if it works well with Live (does the VST panel resize/hide) "rewire" could be a reasonable workaround if all else fails. infact it'd be pretty cool. i have a feeling the AU version isn't quite ready yet. are you running the full version?
Old 9th March 2014
  #12
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambitz View Post
if it works well with Live (does the VST panel resize/hide) "rewire" could be a reasonable workaround if all else fails.
You can't rewire VSTs, so that's not an option. Rewire is pretty useless due to this. Live disables all VSTs if you Rewire it. You can only use stock plugins when Rewired.

The VST panel doesn't resize, and needs to be open to keep automation active. (Fortunately I have a 2560x1440 and 1920x1080 screen to accommodate multiple windows)

Quote:
i have a feeling the AU version isn't quite ready yet. are you running the full version?
Yeah I tried the demo and it worked well so I bought the full version as I really wanted the VST functionality which isn't in the demo.
Old 9th March 2014
  #13
Gear Nut
 
drambitz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
You can't rewire VSTs, so that's not an option. Rewire is pretty useless due to this. Live disables all VSTs if you Rewire it. You can only use stock plugins when Rewired.

The VST panel doesn't resize, and needs to be open to keep automation active. (Fortunately I have a 2560x1440 and 1920x1080 screen to accommodate multiple windows)



Yeah I tried the demo and it worked well so I bought the full version as I really wanted the VST functionality which isn't in the demo.
right! i forgot you can't do anything "extra" when in rewire.
so it's 2-nil for not being able to resize/hide.
cheers.
Old 9th March 2014
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

I think the inability to resize the editor window is a limitation of Logic and/or the AU plugin format. Not many VST or AU plugin windows can be resized as you probably know.

Also, isn't the default behavior for plugin windows to be "Always on top" in Logic (and in most other DAWs)? So again, I don't think this is a bug with Midi Quest but is rather the way plugin windows function in Logic.

I just recently updated my copy of Midi Quest from 10 XL to 11 Pro. I have also been corresponding with the owner/developer at Sound Quest regarding a few feature requests such as "remote editing" support for various synths (so that you can move a knob/slider on the synth and have the editor update in real time). He's been super cool/responsive about adding these features and seems to really want to improve the program.

Incidentally, I had actually switched from Logic to Cubase on Windows just so I could run SoundDiver on my PC to control the 18 synths that I own. That's how important having a single program to manage all my hardware synths is to me. Midi Quest 11 is the first version of the program where I can see myself using it for everything rather than SoundDiver. Who knows, I may even go back to running Logic on a Mac considering that I have 25 years of song files in Logic format (going all the way back to converted C-Lab Creator files!)

Anyway, thanks for the detailed notes regarding your experience with Midi Quest 11. This new version seems pretty promising.
Old 9th March 2014
  #15
Gear Nut
 
drambitz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend View Post
I think the inability to resize the editor window is a limitation of Logic and/or the AU plugin format. Not many VST or AU plugin windows can be resized as you probably know.

Also, isn't the default behavior for plugin windows to be "Always on top" in Logic (and in most other DAWs)? So again, I don't think this is a bug with Midi Quest but is rather the way plugin windows function in Logic.

I just recently updated my copy of Midi Quest from 10 XL to 11 Pro. I have also been corresponding with the owner/developer at Sound Quest regarding a few feature requests such as "remote editing" support for various synths (so that you can move a knob/slider on the synth and have the editor update in real time). He's been super cool/responsive about adding these features and seems to really want to improve the program.

Incidentally, I had actually switched from Logic to Cubase on Windows just so I could run SoundDiver on my PC to control the 18 synths that I own. That's how important having a single program to manage all my hardware synths is to me. Midi Quest 11 is the first version of the program where I can see myself using it for everything rather than SoundDiver. Who knows, I may even go back to running Logic on a Mac considering that I have 25 years of song files in Logic format (going all the way back to converted C-Lab Creator files!)

Anyway, thanks for the detailed notes regarding your experience with Midi Quest 11. This new version seems pretty promising.
i feel the same way, except i wouldn't really leave Logic unless apple managed to mess it up completely for me. (in that respect i'm very far from upgrading to X coz i understand it's 64 bit only and that's a world of pain for me right now)

as for plugins in logic: they may not always resize but they definitely go in the background when you click on the arrange window or another plugin. :EDIT: nope they definitely stay on top like Gadget Fiend said. i totally messed up. bloody mental blocks.. :EDIT:
Old 9th March 2014
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_r_i_x View Post
Have you givena. Look to ctrlr? It's a great open source, cross platform and free alternative to soundquest.
I had really high hopes for Ctrlr when it first came out. But it seems to be stuck in perpetual development mode and basic features like patch storage on the computer are still not implemented after several years. I realize it's just one guy doing this for free. But I think he should consider turning Ctrlr into a commercial product to maybe speed up development of needed features.

Plus, most of the editors become "abandonware" after a while. The program itself is in such a constant state of flux that the people who create editors get tired of always patching them to work with the latest Ctrlr builds.

So sadly, I don't really see Ctrlr as a viable alternative to MIDI Quest or SoundDiver, certainly not if you have a large synth collection with thousands of patches to manage.
Old 9th March 2014
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teceem View Post
Pretty cheap for people with 500 synths, but what about those with only 1?
You used to be able to buy a single synth version of Midi Quest for $99. I'm not sure if that is still the case. Of course, that only made sense if you needed just that one editor. Because if you had more than a couple of devices, it made more sense to get the full program. But still, I don't think you have to pay the full price if you just want one or two editors.
Old 9th March 2014
  #18
Lives for gear
 
teceem's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambitz View Post
if you have the one synth there's tons of dedicated and free patch/librarians
No there aren't. A few synths have one or multiple editors (free or not), and a lot of others have none. Take the Kawai K1 for example...
Old 9th March 2014
  #19
Gear Nut
 
drambitz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by teceem View Post
No there aren't. A few synths have one or multiple editors (free or not), and a lot of others have none. Take the Kawai K1 for example...
i've seen quite a few so i just presumed there were tons. plus to be sure the fact they're there doesn't really mean they work to any extent does it?
Old 9th March 2014
  #20
Gear Addict
 

interested in further communications you have with the devekopers as I have a k5000r that I would love to be able to edit from the computer.. I too want to beleive but i do not want to end up like Mulder
Old 9th March 2014
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Well you've piqued my interest. I have tried this before back in the day and it was truly awful. Maybe they're finally getting their **** together. The price would be OK if it actually did what it says on the tin, but in the past it didn't and cost even more than now!

Not much luck so far with the demo - haven't managed to detect any of my devices. May need to check my MIDI routing as it all goes through an A-880 (which happens to be one of the devices available).

Shame there's no FIZMO device but that's hardly surprising given the mess of that particular SysEx. No Taurus 3 or any Moog.

Sadly the whole CTLR thing seemed to pass by the wayside. There was a great JD-800 panel that got so far then died, leaving it partly useable. Kind of surprising that no-one else stole MidiQuest's thunder in the meantime with a program that actually worked. Maybe MQ 11 is it.
Old 9th March 2014
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
Not much luck so far with the demo - haven't managed to detect any of my devices. May need to check my MIDI routing as it all goes through an A-880 (which happens to be one of the devices available).
When you say the program has not managed to detect any of your devices are you referring to the auto-detect routine? If so, I would just cancel that and manually assign the MIDI ports for each of your devices. That doesn't take more than a second and has worked for every one of my synths.

You can even disable the auto-detect in the program Options.
Old 9th March 2014
  #23
Gear Nut
 
drambitz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend View Post
When you say the program has not managed to detect any of your devices are you referring to the auto-detect routine? If so, I would just cancel that and manually assign the MIDI ports for each of your devices. That doesn't take more than a second and has worked for every one of my synths.

You can even disable the auto-detect in the program Options.
in the video tutorial they even hint to the fact that the autodetect isn't really reliable at all. probably a good idea to turn it off coz otherwise you get the autodetect screen every time you load a MQ plugin.
Old 9th March 2014
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Gary Ladd's Avatar
Old 9th March 2014
  #25
Gear Nut
 
drambitz's Avatar
i got an email back from MQ and added the findings to the first post.
Old 9th March 2014
  #26
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
it also seems as though i can’t save the patches, hopefully just a limitation of the demo
Yes, this is a limitation of the demo.
Old 9th March 2014
  #27
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
it also seems like the “randomize” sound function is disabled in the demo. this function gets me very excited and it’s a pity i can’t try it
Actually, you are wrong with this one. The randomize functions are active in the demo. Each function has context selection requirements so if you don't meet them, the option is disabled. That is probably what happened here. The requirements are:

Mix - 2 patches be selected
Mix All - 2 or more patches selected
Blend - 2 patches selected
Gen 4 - 4 patches selected
Morph - 2 patches selected
Old 9th March 2014
  #28
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
can’t resize the giant window that opens with the plugin and it wont go to the background when you click the arrange window or anything else in Logic for that matter. also all the plugin’s settings screens appear UNDER it. you have to move it out of the way if you want to get to them.
The properties of the hosting plug-in window are controlled by the host - that's Logic. Midi Quest, or any other plug-in for that matter, does not have control over the properties of the window. Hopefully, Logic has an option somewhere that allows plug-ins to be created with layered windows rather than "on top" windows. In any case, Midi Quest has no control over this.

As to the preferences, the window is defined as an "on top" window but Apple appear to have a method to ensure that their "on top" plug-in windows appear over other windows that are defined as "on top". This is something that Apple can choose to do since they control the OS. If the plug-in host window can be configured as a normal layer window instead of an "on top" it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 9th March 2014
  #29
Gear Nut
 
drambitz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Actually, you are wrong with this one. The randomize functions are active in the demo. Each function has context selection requirements so if you don't meet them, the option is disabled. That is probably what happened here. The requirements are:

Mix - 2 patches be selected
Mix All - 2 or more patches selected
Blend - 2 patches selected
Gen 4 - 4 patches selected
Morph - 2 patches selected
cool. cheers m8. i just saw them grayed out so i thought they weren't available. wikkid! will give it a whirl asap and add to/correct the initial post.
Old 9th March 2014
  #30
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
second bug: you can’t quit MidiQuest standalone if you have a MidiQuest plugin open in your DAW. it asks you to save, which you can’t do coz it’s a demo so you gotta force quit. i’m thinking this won’t be the case in the full version, but for now it’s there. back to the job at hand. i gotta do this “translation”.
Sorry, but I don't follow this. The plug-in and the stand-alone versions of Midi Quest are completely independent. Closing one has no impact on the other. They're not even running in the same processes. Granted for the demo, it probably shouldn't ask you to save the file (although some would look at the demo and interpret that as MQ not being able to warn the user that they were about to lose modified data which is, of course incorrect) but you can either choose not to or if you attempt to save, MQ will simply say that the option is not available and proceed to quit. There is no need to perform a forced quit. I just tried it here and that's how MQ behaved.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump