The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th September 2018
  #241
Lives for gear
 
greggybud's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
new and enhanced file import ( Unisyn,
I'm first in line for an upgrade if this is what I think it means....finally? Songs tagged in the Unisyn library that can be converted automatically into a MidiQuest library?
Old 18th September 2018
  #242
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
I'm first in line for an upgrade if this is what I think it means....finally? Songs tagged in the Unisyn library that can be converted automatically into a MidiQuest library?
I believe I mentioned in an earlier post that the focus has been on being able to convert Unisyn UBK files which hold an entire instrument configuration. We have also done enough work to verify that we understand the ULB library format and are able to import SysEx, comments, and keywords from them. Unfortunately, we have had only enough time to fully support one of the two formats. Keep in mind that to perform the conversion, custom coding is required for each type of SysEx so fully supporting the library format requires recognizing and converting hundreds of different types of SysEx individually.

With that said, the infrastructure is there in MQ12. If there are particular instruments/MIDI devices you would like Midi Quest able to import ULB files for, let me know and I'll see what we can do.
Old 18th September 2018
  #243
Lives for gear
 
greggybud's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Keep in mind that to perform the conversion, custom coding is required for each type of SysEx so fully supporting the library format requires recognizing and converting hundreds of different types of SysEx individually.

With that said, the infrastructure is there in MQ12. If there are particular instruments/MIDI devices you would like Midi Quest able to import ULB files for, let me know and I'll see what we can do.
Good to know. When you release the upgrade I'll contact you about ULB and the specific synths. I would guess you want to attempt to focus on the more popular synths of that era...considering Unisyn for PC was abandoned around 2000. Unisyn for Mac a few years later.
Old 18th September 2018
  #244
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Good to know. When you release the upgrade I'll contact you about ULB and the specific synths. I would guess you want to attempt to focus on the more popular synths of that era...considering Unisyn for PC was abandoned around 2000. Unisyn for Mac a few years later.
We'll look at what people are interested in. By the time you generate data, analyse it, add the code, compile and test it, to try and handle the majority of the SysEx Unisyn supports would be 300+ hour project . That's a lot of time if no one is interested, however for those who have Midi Quest, it becomes part of the service.
Old 7th November 2018
  #245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Not ready to go into detail yet but the highlights would be x64 Mac versions, additional plug-in formats, new and enhanced file import ( Unisyn, SoundDiver, PCG), new instrument modules and major updates to a range of older instrument modules.
New GUI?
Old 7th November 2018
  #246
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post
New GUI?
That depends on exactly what you are asking. Many instrument editors reworked from the ground up... yes. Every window reworked... no.
Old 14th November 2018
  #247
Still hoping Sound Quest will work out how to import native Yamaha EX5 files... The vast EX5 library has so many patches that use element 4, which gets corrupt when retrieved via sysex.

I have a huge list of things I am supposed to circle back around and ask about once MQ12 is released.
Old 14th November 2018
  #248
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye9 View Post
Still hoping Sound Quest will work out how to import native Yamaha EX5 files... The vast EX5 library has so many patches that use element 4, which gets corrupt when retrieved via sysex.

I have a huge list of things I am supposed to circle back around and ask about once MQ12 is released.
Midi Quest 12 will be doing much more in the way of native file importing, particularly for Korg instruments that use the .PCG file format.

For the EX5, we did have a look in our archives and don't appear to have any examples of the various EX5 native file formats. If someone would like to forward some of these to us as examples, someone might be able to have an early look at what would be involved.
Old 14th November 2018
  #249
Gear Maniac
 
manwhocan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Midi Quest 12 will be doing much more in the way of native file importing, particularly for Korg instruments that use the .PCG file format.

For the EX5, we did have a look in our archives and don't appear to have any examples of the various EX5 native file formats. If someone would like to forward some of these to us as examples, someone might be able to have an early look at what would be involved.
feeling excited about the new update. Maybe we can get a Poly 800 II editor now?

Never understood why such a common synth is not fully supported.
Old 14th November 2018
  #250
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwhocan View Post
feeling excited about the new update. Maybe we can get a Poly 800 II editor now?

Never understood why such a common synth is not fully supported.
Actually, there is one in MQ12.
Old 14th November 2018
  #251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Midi Quest 12 will be doing much more in the way of native file importing, particularly for Korg instruments that use the .PCG file format.

For the EX5, we did have a look in our archives and don't appear to have any examples of the various EX5 native file formats. If someone would like to forward some of these to us as examples, someone might be able to have an early look at what would be involved.
I sent several EX5 example files around a year ago... I can send again. How/where should I send them?
Old 14th November 2018
  #252
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye9 View Post
I sent several EX5 example files around a year ago... I can send again. How/where should I send them?
Actually, found them thanks. They are now where they should be for development review. Thanks for the offer to resend.
Old 14th November 2018
  #253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Actually, found them thanks. They are now where they should be for development review. Thanks for the offer to resend.
Let me know if you need any more examples. Fingers crossed... It would be great for the EX5 community if you can get it working.
Old 14th November 2018
  #254
Lives for gear
 
pounce's Avatar
 

Looking forward to version 12 coming out. It seems like it has some things in there that I’ll like. I’ve got 11 right now, so hopefully a decent upgrade path exists to get me to 12.
Old 15th November 2018
  #255
Lives for gear
I've been eyeballing MidiQuest for years. One thing that should be noted, you guys really need to get a simple less than ten minute video showing a basic walkthrough of what a typical person would want to do with the software.
Old 16th November 2018
  #256
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
I've been eyeballing MidiQuest for years. One thing that should be noted, you guys really need to get a simple less than ten minute video showing a basic walkthrough of what a typical person would want to do with the software.
That seems like a good idea, thanks. Once the new release is finished and out...
Old 16th November 2018
  #257
Lives for gear
 
Acid Mitch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwhocan View Post
feeling excited about the new update. Maybe we can get a Poly 800 II editor now?

Never understood why such a common synth is not fully supported.
Because it lacks the sysex or cc implimentation that is required for a proper editor.
Old 17th November 2018
  #258
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
That seems like a good idea, thanks. Once the new release is finished and out...
Thanks for listening, I have three supported hardware bits, and will eventually buy it, but the videos you have now are more like supplements to the manual.

One quick question I haven't been able to figure out. I own the Linntronics Memorymoog and an Oberheim Xpander, as well as a Marshall JMP-1
I'm assuming the software allows one to name presets in the Xpander, which is a time saver for sure, but the other two pieces are numbers only on the hardware. Is it possible in MidiQuest to give these presets names for easier storage etc.?
Old 17th November 2018
  #259
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Thanks for listening, I have three supported hardware bits, and will eventually buy it, but the videos you have now are more like supplements to the manual.

One quick question I haven't been able to figure out. I own the Linntronics Memorymoog and an Oberheim Xpander, as well as a Marshall JMP-1
I'm assuming the software allows one to name presets in the Xpander, which is a time saver for sure, but the other two pieces are numbers only on the hardware. Is it possible in MidiQuest to give these presets names for easier storage etc.?
Yes, you can edit the Xpander preset names.

Yes, for any instrument that doesn't have its own space allocated for names, Midi Quest automatically sets aside memory so that a name can be assigned to each patch. From then on, Midi Quest functions as if the instrument has built in names.
Old 9th January 2019
  #260
Here for the gear
 

Any word on when the update will be available?
Old 9th January 2019
  #261
Lives for gear
 

can MidiQuest rearrange preset order in a saved bank?
(sorry if this is an elementary question)
Old 9th January 2019
  #262
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
a quick glance at the useful operational guide (which slides out from under the machine itself)
Ah, the good old days. In the future, you wouldn't even find a QR Code containing a web address pointing to a 404...
Old 10th January 2019
  #263
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic View Post
can MidiQuest rearrange preset order in a saved bank?
(sorry if this is an elementary question)
Yes, Midi Quest can rearrange the order of patches in a bank. (It won't do this if the bank represents a ROM bank in the instrument that isn't editable but you could copy the patches into a RAM bank and proceed from there.

For instruments that are multi-timbral, Midi Quest will also update any performances that use the patch so the performance continue to sound the same.
Old 10th January 2019
  #264
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
For instruments that are multi-timbral, Midi Quest will also update any performances that use the patch so the performance continue to sound the same.
yes, indeed, that aspect is tricky
hadn't thought of that.

was thinking of doing a soundbank for KSRack as i wrote. there are
400 user memories, another 400 (or 200?) percussion memories, and
also performance memories (200?)

and these can be given categories. lots of work, to rewrite the whole
machine. not even sure i should try

pretty sure that a sysex file will not do a partial bank write, and leave
other presets alone, so it would have to be the whole thing.

anyway, your software seems to be the only solution that covers any
synth. can't see how else it could be done - counting bytes in a bulk file?
------------------------------
(what a shame the Kawai K1 doesn't receive sysex for Multi mode...)
Old 10th January 2019
  #265
Gear Maniac
 

Is the collection view still covering up a part of the editor when using the vst version?
Old 10th January 2019
  #266
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic View Post
yes, indeed, that aspect is tricky
hadn't thought of that.

was thinking of doing a soundbank for KSRack as i wrote. there are
400 user memories, another 400 (or 200?) percussion memories, and
also performance memories (200?)

and these can be given categories. lots of work, to rewrite the whole
machine. not even sure i should try

pretty sure that a sysex file will not do a partial bank write, and leave
other presets alone, so it would have to be the whole thing.

anyway, your software seems to be the only solution that covers any
synth. can't see how else it could be done - counting bytes in a bulk file?
------------------------------
(what a shame the Kawai K1 doesn't receive sysex for Multi mode...)
????? Yes, it does. You can send the K1 a Multi SysEx dump. It is true that there are not individual parameter edit messages but you just send a bulk dump after each edit - works almost as well.

For the KS-Rack, yes, you can do partial bank uploads and downloads. You can transfer as much, or as little, as you want at a time.
Old 10th January 2019
  #267
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
????? Yes, it does. You can send the K1 a Multi SysEx dump. It is true that there are not individual parameter edit messages but you just send a bulk dump after each edit - works almost as well.

For the KS-Rack, yes, you can do partial bank uploads and downloads. You can transfer as much, or as little, as you want at a time.
ah yes, i meant individual K1 multi parameters - that would be nice to do.
i edit my k1 with a novation remote, and was looking for the multi messages.
so i guess i'll just have to do that manually. you can get some great sounds
with k1 multis.

KSRack - i assume partial uploads are possible from Midiquest, rather just
a regular syx file? trying to think of what size the data has to be and what
is seen on receiving end: i mean, it can't just ignore if data is missing? it
needs a size-verified incoming syx file?
(i know you are talking about your product - i'm thinking more of the general
principle atm)
Old 10th January 2019
  #268
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic View Post
KSRack - i assume partial uploads are possible from Midiquest, rather just
a regular syx file? trying to think of what size the data has to be and what
is seen on receiving end: i mean, it can't just ignore if data is missing? it
needs a size-verified incoming syx file?
Yes, you can do it with a .syx file as well, assuming you know what you are doing...
Old 10th January 2019
  #269
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM2030 View Post
Is the collection view still covering up a part of the editor when using the vst version?
Yes it is. If that bothers you, you can always drag and drop the appropriate patch or bank files directly from disk into the editor instead.
Old 10th January 2019
  #270
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Yes, you can do it with a .syx file as well, assuming you know what you are doing...
midiOx ? spill the beanz !

i have half a notion, yes. (i think i can count backwards in hex? )
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump