The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Nut

@TNM

yeah, there is a 64 bit version of the plugin. but keep in mind, the Plugin only works with Mac computers, since the Plugin is linked to the Standalone Program, so far i know. it has to do with the Computer Midi drivers and Windows OS don't allowes two instances of the same Midi driver. but according to the Midiquest manual, you could circumvent this, by the use of an Midi interface that is capable of this. me personaly i don't know any Audio/Midi Interfaces of this Kind for Windows. my ESI Maya PCI Soundcard can't do it.

i already tried Midiquest with a Korg TR Rack, Yamaha CBX-K1XG and a Roland Alpha Juno 1. Works without any problems with each. Great allround Editor, but i don't like the GUI very much.
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
I think you use a lot of hardware?

It seems a lot/increasing issues here are with $360 MidiQuest Pro which includes VST. I only use $250 MidiQuest.

I'm not trying to sway you at all. If Sounddiver works keep at it! I would hate to think if MidiQuest were abandoned, because there is no alternative.
Yes, I do have a lot of hardware synths. So I suppose I'm a prime target for MidiQuest. I agree, the standard version is more reasonably priced, but I would need the pro version for patchnames inside my DAW which is something I'm OCD about. The developer is very clever to make that a pro-feature only. He knows how important that is to some people!

Then there's Sounddiver libary import support which is also pro-version only. Of course. I must have a hundred Sounddiver libraries at this point, having used it since the late 90s. Theoretically, I suppose I could convert each of them to standard .syx or .mid files first inside SD then use standard MQ to import them. But... those patchnames!

I would need to continue using Cherrypicker and other means of creating midnam files to get patchnames inside my DAW.

Arrrrg. I've been stuck in this situation for years. I'm really getting sick of it. As things stand I'm using an obsolete OS on a virtual PC to run obsolete software plus a ragtag bunch of independent editor/librarians for modern synths like the Little Phatty, Voyager and Blofeld. How great it would be to have everything in one environment again...

I want... to believe.
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Then there's Sounddiver libary import support which is also pro-version only. Of course. I must have a hundred Sounddiver libraries at this point, having used it since the late 90s. Theoretically, I suppose I could convert each of them to standard .syx or .mid files first inside SD then use standard MQ to import them. But... those patchnames!

I would need to continue using Cherrypicker and other means of creating midnam files to get patchnames inside my DAW.

Arrrrg. I've been stuck in this situation for years. I'm really getting sick of it. As things stand I'm using an obsolete OS on a virtual PC to run obsolete software plus a ragtag bunch of independent editor/librarians for modern synths like the Little Phatty, Voyager and Blofeld. How great it would be to have everything in one environment again...

I want... to believe.
All that effort involved - and the software not really cooperating - sounds like it's a better idea to return to pen & paper and patch sheets Sure, those'll be more effort - especially if you want to switch between projects - but at least you're not bound to anything.

Patch management/editor software seems one of those things that everyone wants but nobody seems to be able to pull off well/affordably/quickly enough. New versions to get new editors makes every upgrade problematic for consumers and developers - "yay, more synths are supported! but I don't have those synths, so why should I upgrade?"

There's Ctrlr – Control your MIDI life (MIDI editor for all your hardware) - now available for download again! - but I have no idea whether it does the patch name thing.
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
All that effort involved - and the software not really cooperating - sounds like it's a better idea to return to pen & paper and patch sheets Sure, those'll be more effort - especially if you want to switch between projects - but at least you're not bound to anything.
I agree--and that's basically what I've been doing--but mostly with synths that don't support sysex anyway. In other words, I'm using some gear much less now because I no longer have the workflow I once had.

Peak efficiency was around 2001, I think--using macOS 9!

Quote:
There's Ctrlr – Control your MIDI life (MIDI editor for all your hardware) - now available for download again! - but I have no idea whether it does the patch name thing.
Yes, maybe it's time to look into Ctrlr again. What I'm basically looking for is a patch management system that runs natively on macOS X which can bridge the gap between old gear from the 80s/90s and newer stuff like Voyager, Blofeld etc so I don't have to buy/learn/maintain separate editor/librarians.

In theory, MidiQuest should be able to do this. But given there are no modules yet for Voyager, Little Phatty or Blofeld, it's difficult for me to justify the expense when the end result will still be an un-unified patch management system.
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I agree--and that's basically what I've been doing--but mostly with synths that don't support sysex anyway. In other words, I'm using some gear much less now because I no longer have the workflow I once had.

Peak efficiency was around 2001, I think--using macOS 9!

Yes, maybe it's time to look into Ctrlr again. What I'm basically looking for is a patch management system that runs natively on macOS X which can bridge the gap between old gear from the 80s/90s and newer stuff like Voyager, Blofeld etc so I don't have to buy/learn/maintain separate editor/librarians.

In theory, MidiQuest should be able to do this. But given there are no modules yet for Voyager, Little Phatty or Blofeld, it's difficult for me to justify the expense when the end result will still be an un-unified patch management system.
FYI, Ctrlr doesn't have much in the way of patch management and definitely doesn't generate patchname files.

When MQ12 is released, we'll have editors for the Little Phatty and Voyager available in beta test. We have done some work on the Blofeld but it is not yet ready for beta.

(unfortunately Gearslutz hasn't been notifying us of activity on this thread...)
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliphoth View Post
@TNM

yeah, there is a 64 bit version of the plugin. but keep in mind, the Plugin only works with Mac computers, since the Plugin is linked to the Standalone Program, so far i know. it has to do with the Computer Midi drivers and Windows OS don't allowes two instances of the same Midi driver. but according to the Midiquest manual, you could circumvent this, by the use of an Midi interface that is capable of this. me personaly i don't know any Audio/Midi Interfaces of this Kind for Windows. my ESI Maya PCI Soundcard can't do it.

i already tried Midiquest with a Korg TR Rack, Yamaha CBX-K1XG and a Roland Alpha Juno 1. Works without any problems with each. Great allround Editor, but i don't like the GUI very much.
You can get around the instance issue on Windows by using virtual MIDI cables and MIDIOX to connect your applications to MIDI ports. The cables are multi-client and allow for multiple instances. Its not as nice as the Mac where everything is built into the OS but you can certainly do it.
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Not sure if that's directed to me, but I don't know since I'm only using MidiQuest and not MidiQuest Pro.

If the website doesn't reveal, and you are really wondering, I'm sure the developer would give you an answer.

While he will probably reply within a day, the actual development of newer midi instruments is painfully slow. For example...and while there are alternatives, I'm still waiting for the Moog Voyager and DSI Prophet 6 Instruments.

There will be a Prophet 6 editor in Midi Quest 12 and the Moog Voyager will be available as beta.

64-bit plug-ins have been available for Windows for a long time. 64-bit plug-ins for Mac will be available in MQ12.
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Nut

To RJ, based on when you upgraded to MQ11, the upgrade cost for MQ12 will be $10.
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post
I never saw any video of the VST plugin. Is it possible to have a DAW session with multiple synths and have a perfect recall of everything like a virtual instrument?
Yes, you can configure Midi Quest so that when it loads the project, it will automatically send the SysEx out to your instrument(s) to configure it/them. Depending on the plug-in format, that are other points at which full setup information can be sent as well.
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmayer99 View Post
I want to give a big thumbs up to MidiQuest. I am a long-time user. Michael Lambie, who (I assume) wrote the program and maintains it, gives wonderful personalized support and is tireless in tracking down the endless minutiae that bubble up when you try to build a program this ambitious. It functions very well, especially on newer synths, and when it doesn't, Michael is very patient in helping untangle problems.

It takes patience and time to learn MidiQuest and to integrate it into your workflow. I for one love this program, and I love that there are still people like Michael who are passionate about helping folks keep their old synths alive. From what I've heard, MidiQuest 12 will support a lot of the newer synths. I personally am excited about seeing a module for the Poly Evolver.
FYI, there will be a Poly Evolver editors in MQ12 when it is released.
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
If, by "any of my other gear" you mean recent popular hardware, I wonder that too. It does give the image that MidiQuest isn't thriving, and then comes the "its abandonware" comments. Did you ever pursue the 1080 master tuning issue with him?

There are lots of newer popular synthesizers, such as the DSI line, and Moog, that have never been supported. The developers web page says "Midi Quest supports over 700 instruments from over 50 different manufacturers" but it appears he hasn't kept up with the newer hardware. How were so many instruments initially supported, but in recent times, not many added? I'm guessing maybe initially SoundQuest was a small company or group of people, but today due to midi stagnation it's just one person? Maybe the developer will comment here as to the reasons?

It seems a lot MidiQuest questions go unanswered in this forum and honestly, I'm not surprised.

Considering the hundreds of instruments, all the different interface options, new generation of midi users, and the different OS's, I would guess the best solution is either pursue issues in the SoundQuest forum or a direct email to the developer.

After all, if you paid a high price for a feature-rich editor/librarian then I would expect good support. RTFM if necessary. It's very detailed. Look into the hours of video tutorials.

Michaels support has always been excellent for myself.
Unfortunately, it seems that (for some reason) Gearslutz isn't very good about notification. There was an email last night indicating one message had been left on this thread. Not exactly right. If you're not getting answers or comments, its probably because there has been no notification. Just let me know and I'll do my best to get you an answer...
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
to get patchnames inside my DAW.
I hope you or anyone can remind or educate me. I know Cubase has midi patch names for external devices. You have to set it all up and it takes time, but I think you are looking for a master librarian to do this instead of Cubase? For example a Prophet 5 or Oberheim Matrix 1000 both have only numbers to represent patches on the hardware. On their factory patch sheets they have been given names. You want MidiQuest to integrate that with for example, Cubase?

I may be off base. It was a long time ago, but I thought I did this exclusively in Cubase?

Quote:

I want... to believe.
I run a REAL Windows 98 PC for the exclusive purpose of running MOTU Unisyn for PC. I'm in a 2-year process of manually converting all my Unisyn library patches to MidiQuest before my Windows 98 machine dies. It's a pain. I think there is relatively little interest in what Michael does. I just hope he continues, and I'm looking forward to using my Voyager, Prophet 6, and PolyEvolver when an upgrade is available.

PS. Hopefully Michael didn't take lessons from Steven Slate regarding release dates.
Old 13th September 2018
Gear Nut

You might be able to save yourself some time. Midi Quest 12 Pro is able to import Unisyn's UBK files, assuming you are using this format. The SysEx is read into Banks in Midi Quest Sets. I believe we have also instruments covered where Midi Quest and Unisyn instrument support lists overlap.
Old 13th September 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Sound Quest, can you confirm that if i buy midi quest pro right now I CAN use the AU's in 64 bit Logic X?

Also, is MQ12 close enough that it would be a grace period update? I have waited so long I'd rather wait longer if not, as it's a very expensive bit of software.

I mean, what is the realistic ETA for 12? we have been talking about it, aax compatibility, etc, for years now..
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
When MQ12 is released, we'll have editors for the Little Phatty and Voyager available in beta test. We have done some work on the Blofeld but it is not yet ready for beta.
That's encouraging news! Thanks for participating in the thread!

What will be the minimum macOS required to run MQ12?
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hope you or anyone can remind or educate me. I know Cubase has midi patch names for external devices. You have to set it all up and it takes time, but I think you are looking for a master librarian to do this instead of Cubase? For example a Prophet 5 or Oberheim Matrix 1000 both have only numbers to represent patches on the hardware. On their factory patch sheets they have been given names. You want MidiQuest to integrate that with for example, Cubase?

I may be off base. It was a long time ago, but I thought I did this exclusively in Cubase?
Yes, Cubase has its own built-in patch naming system via scripts, which is convenient. Having an external program like SD or MQ first generate the text data, however, can save massive amounts of time. My XP-60, for example, with four expansion cards installed, contains over a thousand patches. Typing those in by hand just isn't practical. Life is too short.

My main DAW is Pro Tools which uses system level midnam files. While Sounddiver pre-dates midnam, it can still generate simple text files which can then be converted to midnam using 3rd party tools. So yes, ideally, I would want a kind of "central command app" for creating and organizing patches that could streamline the job of getting names into Pro Tools which match what is currently in the instruments' patch memory.

Regarding synths like the P-5 and M-1000 which don't display patch names, in SD I can name them myself and then generate a text-file which can be displayed by the DAW.

Quote:
I run a REAL Windows 98 PC for the exclusive purpose of running MOTU Unisyn for PC. I'm in a 2-year process of manually converting all my Unisyn library patches to MidiQuest before my Windows 98 machine dies. It's a pain.
Good to know I'm not the only one! I've got a 500Mhz G3 iBook running macOS 9 exclusively for the purpose of running Sounddiver natively when things go wrong with the virtual Windows box (which is often).

Using Parallels to run WinXP/Win7 on top of macOS X, each time I use SD I first have to redirect the MIDI interfaces and controllers to the virtual OS. This doesn't always go smoothly, so SD will startup with non-existent MIDI port assignments and complain about it.

Running SD natively on OS 9 is much more reliable, plus the MIDI interface network (2x MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVs, one USB, one serial) can communicate with both computers simultaneously. But this requires room on my desk for the laptop which isn't always practical. Prior to this, I was using a G5 to run SD, but I finally got tired of all the noise!

Quote:
I think there is relatively little interest in what Michael does. I just hope he continues, and I'm looking forward to using my Voyager, Prophet 6, and PolyEvolver when an upgrade is available.
Editor/Librarians are tools of the past, it's true. Virtual instruments changed the landscape entirely. I long for the days when it was possible to have a unified patch management system inside a DAW.
Old 13th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
that's encouraging news! Thanks for participating in the thread! Kfhkh

what will be the minimum macos required to run mq12?
os x 10.7
Old 13th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Sound Quest, can you confirm that if i buy midi quest pro right now I CAN use the AU's in 64 bit Logic X?

Also, is MQ12 close enough that it would be a grace period update? I have waited so long I'd rather wait longer if not, as it's a very expensive bit of software.

I mean, what is the realistic ETA for 12? we have been talking about it, aax compatibility, etc, for years now..
64-bit AUs are in Midi Quest 12 so right now, today, no.

Yes, there is a grace period. We haven't decided exactly when this will start but it will go back to at least March, 2018. For that period, the upgrade charge will be $10.

For a release date, we are still looking at late October. I can't state this with 100% certainty because we are still waiting for an update from a 3rd party on code that we use in Midi Quest. This update is supposed to be available over the next two weeks. Assuming this happens on schedule, we will make the October release as planned.
Old 13th September 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
64-bit AUs are in Midi Quest 12 so right now, today, no.

Yes, there is a grace period. We haven't decided exactly when this will start but it will go back to at least March, 2018. For that period, the upgrade charge will be $10.

For a release date, we are still looking at late October. I can't state this with 100% certainty because we are still waiting for an update from a 3rd party on code that we use in Midi Quest. This update is supposed to be available over the next two weeks. Assuming this happens on schedule, we will make the October release as planned.
I am glad you cleared that up, as someone above said the AU is 64 bit.. but I had a feeling they were wrong hence why i asked. Thank you.

I might as well wait for V12 assuming it will be the same price, since my main reason for wanting it is to have project save and reload of my hardware synths all within the DAW like using VI's. There are of course still ways to do it but this would be much more integrated. Well, it sounds like there's been massive progress, so, congrats, and I look forward to V12.
Old 13th September 2018
Gear Guru

just got to thinking.

if Omnisphere can take midi from hardware, and if the hardware responds to any recorded midi it outputted, then Omnisphere wouldn’t differentiate between sources, in the same way the hardware wouldn't care about where the midi is coming from.

so if Omnisphere receives similar midi signalsi from an editor which already looks like the synth it's designed to edit,
like say a Moog, then Omnisphere should think that it’s an actual Moog it’s being programed from.
when it could in fact just be an Editor it’s listening to, and getting the midi from.

that’s a case where you could use a virtual hardware interface to now program Omnisphere, without needing the hardware that spectrasonics currently say you need to get to the new features.
Old 13th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
without needing the hardware that spectrasonics currently say you need to get to the new features.
I'm not sure whether they're new features - upon detecting a certain set of controls, Omni will just pre-load a configuration similar to that synth, and then map the controls automatically.
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I'm not sure whether they're new features - upon detecting a certain set of controls, Omni will just pre-load a configuration similar to that synth, and then map the controls automatically.
in so far as it's new in functionality. it seems from what people are describing, if you only had one synth on the list of supported hardware, you would only have access to the behavior matching to the synths own interface, if you own the synth. each synth apparently chooses and matches different components which better matches the given synth. so if Omni supported 10 synths, you'd need all ten synths to get all of the full ten behaviors. put in another way, Omni becomes more capable if you have more of the supported synths. except if you just call up dedicated patches which matches everything on the hardware already engaged within that base patch, and then just used Omni's own interface. in that condition Omni's interface will always work the same as it's own base interface. e.g. it will always look the same and not like the hardware synth. in interface terms.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Can you comment on the upgrade price from MQ11 to MQ12?
Also the price to upgrade from MQ11 to MQ12 pro?
Does MQ11 receive any free updates?

Thank you
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Nut

Officially, no. The final decision on pricing hasn't been made yet. However, if you were to look at Midi Quest's upgrade history, regular pricing has been consistent with Midi Quest around $89/99 and Pro around $139/149.
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I am glad you cleared that up, as someone above said the AU is 64 bit.. but I had a feeling they were wrong hence why i asked. Thank you.

I might as well wait for V12 assuming it will be the same price, since my main reason for wanting it is to have project save and reload of my hardware synths all within the DAW like using VI's. There are of course still ways to do it but this would be much more integrated. Well, it sounds like there's been massive progress, so, congrats, and I look forward to V12.
i never said the AU is x64 you phucker. i was talking about the VST plugin haha
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

What will be new in v12?

/C
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
What will be new in v12?

/C
those are some nasty speakers
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
What will be new in v12?

/C
Not ready to go into detail yet but the highlights would be x64 Mac versions, additional plug-in formats, new and enhanced file import ( Unisyn, SoundDiver, PCG), new instrument modules and major updates to a range of older instrument modules.
Old 15th September 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliphoth View Post
i never said the AU is x64 you phucker. i was talking about the VST plugin haha
Nice try. I said are the AU and VST plugins 64 bit yet (as I use both an AU and Vst host) and you said, yes the plugin is 64 bit. Not once did you even use the word VST.

Phukka.

LOL.
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear

I believe.

I don't use the VST, I have a synth farm, but everytbing works fine here.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search