The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
I would never pay $149 for just one synth editor. Even when if it integrates with a librarian and all the other features.

But there are users with many hardware units that do. Currently my MidiQuest 11 (not pro) is integrated with:

EmuMorpheus
Emu Classic Keys
Roland D-550
Yamaha TX802
Nord 2 Rack
Korg MS 200R
Alesis Midiverb 4
Alesis HR-15
Roland SRV 2000
Oberheim OB8
Ensoniq VFX-Sd
Ensoniq SQR
Kurzweil K-2000s
plus a few other hardware units....

All is interfaced with 4 MidiTimePieces providing 32 midi ins/outs. Windows 7 64 bit PC "sees" this as 2 banks of 16.

I have not experienced any issues that I can't figure out or get help from the developer. Maybe I'm just lucky. I do read the manual at times.

Integrate the above with a Librarian, spend time with tags, and customize the way the librarian works with the editor and some might realize how it's a valuable tool for older synths, especially 90's rack synths....but yes...it's still expensive.

If you want an editor for just 1 synth, there are other solutions.
I hear you!

Unfortunately they don't support any of my other gear and it really set me off how the demo intentionally changed the master tuning on the 1080... I've heard of "cripple ware", but that was just a little over the top.

I tried an iPad editor - it was pretty good, but hard to use (for me and my eyesight) since there was just way too much info on such a small screen to be very useful.

Greg
Old 3rd February 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbill View Post
THIS
An editor/librarian is a large task for 1 synth.
He supports many different units.
This guy provides you a chance to get inside your synths...
NEWFLASH! Hardware synths require WORK, as does real engineering.
If you don't want to do the WORK, stay with your beloved plugins!
Whine Whine Whine...
All you people pounding on the guy..."GUI needs update".
You want pretty? Buy some art. This is a tool.
If you don't like it, you are WELCOME to sit down, read the manual, and do all your synths manually, like we used to have to.
Or you can create a better one. Betcha can't!
So sick of the "one button do it to it" types.
"Make it easy? Don't wanna READ all that stuff, just wanna be a big big STAR!"
Be an ENGINEER TYPE, not a poseur, a lemming, a sheeple, a whiner...
I am SICK of the DUMBIMG DOWN of audio engineering....hell, of America period.

If it doesn't work for you, at least give the guy some useful info, instead of badmouthing him...
are you right?
I am going by what HE said 2 years back that aax and 64 bit was coming, and continual ignored requests from me for at least an ETA update. THAT tells me it's dead.
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
All of that? Hardly. Show me the librarian the tags, the sorting and classification, and how easily it integrates with the specific editor?
I said "all that" as in unlike the other two sequencer companies mentioned Steinberg had the good sense to abandon it's stand alone editor librarian software and incorporate it into the sequencer, first starting with mixer maps and then the studio module which was unfortunately dropped when Cubase SX came out, then we got MIDI device panels which are an improvement upon the old mixer maps and then eventually the Media Bay which is basically the librarian half of the equation even if it's not as good as it could be.
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Addict

I've been using Midiquest for 15 yrs probably steadily. Def made at this point to handle 80s and 90s midi synths the best. Sometimes its the damn synths themselves that are the problem - Andromeda can't audition sent patches so it was a fail. My Prophet-5 was fully editable but could not send patches as it sent no F7. The number of synths I've used through the years with MQ is many but the best thing has always been having categorized banks of custom patches I could audition one after another until I liked what I found, then could tweak it within Midiquest.

Currently using it with:

Nord 2 rack
Yamaha TX816
Roland MKS-80
Line-6 PODS
Ensoniq SQ-R

I really with I could use MQ with DSI and newer stuff. Sountower makes good editors but their librarians are impossible compared to MQ.

Dan
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
are you right?
I am going by what HE said 2 years back that aax and 64 bit was coming, and continual ignored requests from me for at least an ETA update. THAT tells me it's dead.
MQ is not dead. Many people find it very useful.
MIDI is a SLOW protocol, doesn't need 64 bit anything.
Why wait? The standalone version works great.
In fact, I've never even used the plugin.

It's good/useful to have an older operating system available...instead of waiting on a developer to catch/keep up. Hard drives are cheap.
I can boot to different/older operating systems, switch to Win 7 for sound design/mods using MQ. Do your changes, save, reboot and get back to making music.
I also do this to keep other older apps that will never get updated running.
Just a suggestion...might work for you as well.

LOTS of people are getting WORK done with MQ, it
controls 8 keyboards and 11 rack units here in grand fashion.
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

I heard from the developer, MQ12 is under construction, it will come with Pulse 2 support and a bit after release Blofeld support too. (I asked for support for Micromonsta and Ambika too.)
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Maniac

I'm just kind of amazed MQ is still around, since the dawn of Midi almost. Also surprised that there's so little market interest in editor/librarian software that it's basically 1 guy at 1 company with no competition at this point. No wonder he can charge whatever he wants.

Love or hate 'em, you gotta admit there may no better expert in arcane sysex than this guy, who has gone through virtually every poor sysex implementation of every synth of yesteryear.
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC View Post
I hear you!
Unfortunately they don't support any of my other gear and it really set me off how the demo intentionally changed the master tuning on the 1080... I've heard of "cripple ware", but that was just a little over the top.
If, by "any of my other gear" you mean recent popular hardware, I wonder that too. It does give the image that MidiQuest isn't thriving, and then comes the "its abandonware" comments. Did you ever pursue the 1080 master tuning issue with him?

There are lots of newer popular synthesizers, such as the DSI line, and Moog, that have never been supported. The developers web page says "Midi Quest supports over 700 instruments from over 50 different manufacturers" but it appears he hasn't kept up with the newer hardware. How were so many instruments initially supported, but in recent times, not many added? I'm guessing maybe initially SoundQuest was a small company or group of people, but today due to midi stagnation it's just one person? Maybe the developer will comment here as to the reasons?

It seems a lot MidiQuest questions go unanswered in this forum and honestly, I'm not surprised.

Considering the hundreds of instruments, all the different interface options, new generation of midi users, and the different OS's, I would guess the best solution is either pursue issues in the SoundQuest forum or a direct email to the developer.

After all, if you paid a high price for a feature-rich editor/librarian then I would expect good support. RTFM if necessary. It's very detailed. Look into the hours of video tutorials.

Michaels support has always been excellent for myself.
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
If, by "any of my other gear" you mean recent popular hardware, I wonder that too. It does give the image that MidiQuest isn't thriving, and then comes the "its abandonware" comments. Did you ever pursue the 1080 master tuning issue with him?
I never raised the issue up simply because it was a demo and I hadn't invested anything in it except my time. For the 1080, it just didn't seem worth it since my primary goal was mainly just to handle on-screen patch browsing without having to go across the room the the 1080 panel - so the $$ outlay probably wouldn't have made too much sense for me given that the price that I paid for the 1080 itself wasn't much more than the software.

As for my other gear, I'll tell you this, I'd be happy to pay for MQ11 if it supported the System 8, but that's a completely different topic

Greg
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Addict

I think the remarkable thing about Midi Quest is that it doesn't rely upon the intiative of hardware users to create the means to edit a particular bit of hardware. I mean think about it, Steinberg knocks up a few editors and the rest come from people such as myself who take the time to do it at no expense.
Old 4th February 2018
Here for the gear

I want to give a big thumbs up to MidiQuest. I am a long-time user. Michael Lambie, who (I assume) wrote the program and maintains it, gives wonderful personalized support and is tireless in tracking down the endless minutiae that bubble up when you try to build a program this ambitious. It functions very well, especially on newer synths, and when it doesn't, Michael is very patient in helping untangle problems.

It takes patience and time to learn MidiQuest and to integrate it into your workflow. I for one love this program, and I love that there are still people like Michael who are passionate about helping folks keep their old synths alive. From what I've heard, MidiQuest 12 will support a lot of the newer synths. I personally am excited about seeing a module for the Poly Evolver.
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Nut

I have tried MQ a few times over the years and have always found the interface to be a bit obtuse. The functionality is amazing but it could use something like pages to help keep things uncluttered and could be optimized for touchscreen use. I have ended up using iPad editors instead but would rather have one program that I could integrate directly into my DAW. I am excited/hopeful about MQ12.
Old 4th February 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbill View Post
MQ is not dead. Many people find it very useful.
MIDI is a SLOW protocol, doesn't need 64 bit anything.
Why wait? The standalone version works great.
In fact, I've never even used the plugin.

It's good/useful to have an older operating system available...instead of waiting on a developer to catch/keep up. Hard drives are cheap.
I can boot to different/older operating systems, switch to Win 7 for sound design/mods using MQ. Do your changes, save, reboot and get back to making music.
I also do this to keep other older apps that will never get updated running.
Just a suggestion...might work for you as well.

LOTS of people are getting WORK done with MQ, it
controls 8 keyboards and 11 rack units here in grand fashion.
Ok.. but when I started talking with Michael it was about the plugin, as that was the big thing for me personally. A set and forget project recall using virtual plugins would be amazing, with instant editing available.

If 12 ever comes out with the changes he said, i will buy it. What more can i do. I can't support something currently that doesn't work with my DAW, when that's what I want it for.
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Did you look through the large manual or watch the LONG tutorials? Or were you expecting immediate positive results with MIDI hardware interfaces?
Right, so it's my fault that it crashes. Not reading the "large manual" or watching the "LONG tutorials" is exactly why it crashes on me. Uh huh.
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
Right, so it's my fault that it crashes. Not reading the "large manual" or watching the "LONG tutorials" is exactly why it crashes on me. Uh huh.
I don't know what this is worth, but MIDI Quest is quite picky with computer MIDI interfaces. I think I read that somewhere on the SQ site. I don't know if that can relate to crashes but I have a memory that SQ warned about using "cheap" MIDI interfaces.

/C
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
I don't know what this is worth, but MIDI Quest is quite picky with computer MIDI interfaces. I think I read that somewhere on the SQ site. I don't know if that can relate to crashes but I have a memory that SQ warned about using "cheap" MIDI interfaces.

/C
Understood. However, the Edirol UM-880 isn't remotely "cheap".
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not the part about crashing, but the interface part you may wish to refer to the manual. TBO, I don't even know what the manual covers as far as interface issues, but when I have software integrated with hardware issues, the first thing I usually check is...the manual.

As far as MQ crashing, is the crash an OS crash? Blue Screen? Mouse Freeze? Is it specific only when running MidiQuest? Can you duplicate the steps to make it crash? Is it an intermittent crash? Do you get a MidiQuest error message? Without any details, no one can help you. You have not provided any information. And most likely if you did, I can't offer a solution because of so many interfaces, your OS, and so many other variables.

You say you "want to but can not believe." Honestly, how hard do you want to believe? How much time are you willing to invest? Can you get by with another application specific editor such as SoundTower and be happy years from now?

While MQ is expensive, it isn't a dumbed down or instant gratification program for the masses. If you "really want to believe" start by contacting the developer, and as a long shot, give some details here.
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Not the part about crashing, but the interface part you may wish to refer to the manual. TBO, I don't even know what the manual covers as far as interface issues, but when I have software integrated with hardware issues, the first thing I usually check is...the manual.

As far as MQ crashing, is the crash an OS crash? Blue Screen? Mouse Freeze? Is it specific only when running MidiQuest? Can you duplicate the steps to make it crash? Is it an intermittent crash? Do you get a MidiQuest error message? Without any details, no one can help you. You have not provided any information. And most likely if you did, I can't offer a solution because of so many interfaces, your OS, and so many other variables.

You say you "want to but can not believe." Honestly, how hard do you want to believe? How much time are you willing to invest? Can you get by with another application specific editor such as SoundTower and be happy years from now?

While MQ is expensive, it isn't a dumbed down or instant gratification program for the masses. If you "really want to believe" start by contacting the developer, and as a long shot, give some details here.
The crash was the application, not the system. It crashed during communication attempts, if i recall correctly. Frankly, i just deleted it. After seeing the disaster of an app that the iOS port is, i just decided to never deal with this developer. It's utterly incomprehensible to me how a developer can think this product is acceptable.

As for your comments about "instant gratification", etc... that's just more ad hominem crap i have no interest defending myself on. You don't know me.
Old 15th February 2018
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Way way way way way overpriced software.

I think they should definitely one day make "lite" version for one (selected) synth. And I am also sure they would in fact earn more that way.
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post

I think they should definitely one day make "lite" version for one (selected) synth. And I am also sure they would in fact earn more that way.
It does seem expensive at first look, but when you look at the huge number of vintage instruments it supports, it makes sense that it's not going to be cheap if you want the whole shebang. That's 700 instruments from yesteryear, and someone had to go through all those different sysex implementations, many of which are notoriously bad or undocumented.

So if you have a lot of synths that are a PITA to program from the front panel, it may make sense for you. Considering many on this forum pay the same amount for a DAW, notation software, or other software plugins, it's not inconceivable that MQ would cost this much.
Old 15th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I heard from the developer, MQ12 is under construction, it will come with Pulse 2 support and a bit after release Blofeld support too. (I asked for support for Micromonsta and Ambika too.)
Ooops... not sure if that was supposed to be shared. Apparently, there may be support for DSI synths coming as well.

MQ is a very powerful program, it does take some effort to learn. Some of the approaches they use are not always as obvious as they could be. In the past months I have bought several inexpensive older rack synths (Korg 01R/w, TR-Rack, Triton Rack, Wavestation SR, Waldorf MicroQ, Alesis QSR, Roland D-550, JD-990, XV-5050, Yamaha CS6R, TX81z) since they are supported by MQ which opens up their capabilities very nicely.
Old 15th February 2018
Quote:

They already sell versions that support a single synth... they call it Midi Quest Essentials me thinks.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

I never saw any video of the VST plugin. Is it possible to have a DAW session with multiple synths and have a perfect recall of everything like a virtual instrument?
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The crash was the application, not the system. It crashed during communication attempts, if i recall correctly. Frankly, i just deleted it. After seeing the disaster of an app that the iOS port is, i just decided to never deal with this developer. It's utterly incomprehensible to me how a developer can think this product is acceptable.

As for your comments about "instant gratification", etc... that's just more ad hominem crap i have no interest defending myself on. You don't know me.
I'm using a PC with multiple MOTU TimePieces networked, so I certainly can't comment on the "disaster of an app that the iOS port is." And as you admit, you decided it wasn't worth your time to contact the developer or seek help.

Apologies as I did not intend to bruise your bananas.

It took me days to get everything set up perfectly right and working with the 4 MOTU's. This is why I said it's not instant gratification...at least not for me. I had several initial questions and answers with the developer. Some of my issues even were with the hardware synths, since some have such illogical or strange midi settings.

I wonder if most complaints these days are with MidiQuest Pro that includes the VST plugin feature vs. the Essentials or MidiQuest versions which are stand alone only?
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

I am visiting this forum to find out about compatibility issues with MIDI Quest and MAC computer. I too have spent a ton of money with MIDI Quest XL latest version. Started 10 years ago on an initial full priced version of MIDI Quest 8, then $200 to update to MIDI Quest 9, agin for MIDI Quest 10 XL and now another $200 for MIDI Quest XL 11. Add it up and we are well over $1,000. The Software has been glitchy at best ever since the first day i bought it many moons ago. I am on the fence with is it a good product or not. ON the good side, for the synths it supports it does a pretty good job. One the other side, with some other synths, it cannot even see some of the banks in my instruments. I particularly not impressed with the sales features, for example, on the website it states that MIDI Quest XL is the only product that can import sound diver files, which is why i bought in the first place. I take the word import to mean the click of a button! When in actuality, you have to drag and drop each individual patch into an empty location and this can take an hour for a device that has 128 patches in a bank and 4 banks. Second problem is when it reads the sound diver file it lists everything in alphabetical order so the drag and drop process is even longer because you have to figure our what the original position was for each patch in the bank. SO to me that borders on the sense of false advertising. I just recently talked to the owner about OSX 13 compatibility and he said not in 11 but will be in 12. I am not spending yet again another $200 to upgrade to 12 when it is available. I just finished a month long process of resurrecting all my old Sound Diver and Unisyn files built from third party developer disks from ages ago. I had to first dust off a laptop computer from circa 2000 that had both sound diver and unisyn installed on it. Then i had to get a portable midi interface working with it and connected that to my MTPAV. With that working i had to load the banks from computer into the selected instrument, and then bulk dump from the instrument to my MAC as sysex file. Then i had to use MIDI Quest to get the patch data from the instrument to generate a Cubase patch script, which did work very well. Problem is this and here is my question - I started this process 2 months ago. after i completed it all the first time (yes you heard that correctly) my iMAC crashed. hard drive went bad and i had no backup. (yes i am a dummy). Purchased a new iMAC and it took over one month to load every piece of software back onto it and get everything activated. Now i started this whole process again and just after it completed, my iMAC crashed again. This time i have a back up. Luckily Best Buy was kind enough to replace the iMAC, So i write this as as i am loading the backup into my new computer. My problem is that i suspect that it was MIDI Quest that caused both computers to crash because it seemed to me that within days of installing MIDI Quest 11 on both computers, they went down. Has anyone else had similar problems?

RJ
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH_MUSIC View Post
SO to me that borders on the sense of false advertising.
Not to me. More like "false expectations". Does it import Sound Diver files? Yes it does. Sales pitch doesn't say anything about how the import is done exactly, so no false advertising there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH_MUSIC View Post
My problem is that i suspect that it was MIDI Quest that caused both computers to crash because it seemed to me that within days of installing MIDI Quest 11 on both computers, they went down.
That's quite a bold assumption. But not really making any sense. How did your Mac crash? Hard drive failure? That's the problem of hard drive manufacturer, not the program used. Last time I checked, MIDIQuest is not malware. So, you just didn't have luck with hardware.
Old 11th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree. I've been debating on whether or not to buy this software for over a decade and each time I come to the same conclusion: it's too expensive.

Midi Quest may be the only game in town, but this doesn't mean you have to play. Still, when version 12 comes out, I'll give it another look.

In the meantime, I'll continue using eMagic Sounddiver inside a virtual Windows 7 box on macOS. I'm still angry with Apple for having killed off this most excellent software. My original Sounddiver CD is so old and scratched now I have to say a prayer and sacrifice a Minibrute or Volca each time I need to re-authorize.
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I agree. I've been debating on whether or not to buy this software for over a decade and each time I come to the same conclusion: it's too expensive.

Midi Quest may be the only game in town, but this doesn't mean you have to play. Still, when version 12 comes out, I'll give it another look.

In the meantime, I'll continue using eMagic Sounddiver inside a virtual Windows 7 box on macOS. I'm still angry with Apple for having killed off this most excellent software. My original Sounddiver CD is so old and scratched now I have to say a prayer and sacrifice a Minibrute or Volca each time I need to re-authorize.
I agree IMO it seems expensive, and other than old Sounddiver and old Unisyn they are the only game in town. (excluding specific or individual editors/librarians)

I think you use a lot of hardware? I have 13 synths in my studio including a few racks like Oberheim Matrix 1000, a few Emu rack synths from the 90's with that lovely 1x3 inch green display, and seemingly endless sub-menus. (That is pretty much how fun synth programming was in the 90's.) So I guess the personal value depends on how much time you spend programming your synths and how convenient it is vs. walking around and turning real knobs and menus?

I have always thought MidiQuest is for those who have many synths, or spend a lot of programming time. Individual editors/librarians would be more practical if you had just a few.

When you have no real competition I think the price is usually high.

Keep in mind, the developer gives support usually the same day. (Just 1 person) My guess is if he substantially cut the price, the volume of support requests would skyrocket. This is based only on observation of the issues I read here. So maybe keep the price high to keep the support requests at a rate he can give timely replies? It's only a guess.

I did ask him years ago about a Black Friday sale and he asked me what that is. Good humor is free from him.

2. I have never experienced bugs. But again I only have 13 synths, and the support list is huge. Maybe I'm lucky. All I really know is that it works for me WAY better than programming the Emu Morpheus/Classic Keys/Ensoniq SQR blah blah blah's. And when I have had questions, he answers them often the same day.

It seems a lot/increasing issues here are with $360 MidiQuest Pro which includes VST. I only use $250 MidiQuest.

I'm not trying to sway you at all. If Sounddiver works keep at it! I would hate to think if MidiQuest were abandoned, because there is no alternative.
Old 12th September 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
are the vst and au plugins 64 bit yet?
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
are the vst and au plugins 64 bit yet?
Not sure if that's directed to me, but I don't know since I'm only using MidiQuest and not MidiQuest Pro.

If the website doesn't reveal, and you are really wondering, I'm sure the developer would give you an answer.

While he will probably reply within a day, the actual development of newer midi instruments is painfully slow. For example...and while there are alternatives, I'm still waiting for the Moog Voyager and DSI Prophet 6 Instruments.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search