The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

It has to be the least intuitive editor ever. I bought it purely to interface with old FM synths, and even getting it set up to control the parameters of a synth is absurdly clunky. It took me hours to get it working as an editor for my TX81z and even once I started getting it working to edit parameters, saving it from there and switching between stored patches then editing parameters in new patches always gives me weird unexpected results then leaves me referring to the manual again and feeling angry and full of rage. Not the experience I want when making music. Cant you just make it a little more plug and play? Select MIDI out port/chanel then edit parameters and store patches to a patch number in the synth? Why is this so finicky??
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednurk View Post
sorry late to the party, but some versions of the a-880 firmware do not support sysex
I'm sure I have latest version when I checked using some weird power-up procedure. Anyway I can send SysEx to and from my JD-990, just doesn't work with Midiquest (the developer said as much somewhere).
Old 11th June 2017
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
It has to be the least intuitive editor ever. I bought it purely to interface with old FM synths, and even getting it set up to control the parameters of a synth is absurdly clunky. It took me hours to get it working as an editor for my TX81z and even once I started getting it working to edit parameters, saving it from there and switching between stored patches then editing parameters in new patches always gives me weird unexpected results then leaves me referring to the manual again and feeling angry and full of rage. Not the experience I want when making music. Cant you just make it a little more plug and play? Select MIDI out port/chanel then edit parameters and store patches to a patch number in the synth? Why is this so finicky??
hmm thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Pretty much all my synths bar the AN1X have decent dedicated standalone mac editors, but I wanted to avoid having to be using like 20 different editors, was hoping to have it all in one with a unified interface.
Old 21st June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Pretty much all my synths bar the AN1X have decent dedicated standalone mac editors, but I wanted to avoid having to be using like 20 different editors, was hoping to have it all in one with a unified interface.
Sadly though, some of those older editors are slowly dying off with OSX updates.

Case in point, the Korg Radias editor no longer works in OSX Sierra.. :(
Old 28th June 2017
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK777 View Post
Sadly though, some of those older editors are slowly dying off with OSX updates.

sticking on good ol yos as long as my 2 macs live
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Don't use macs. That's what happens when you use a trendy computer from a trendy company :P

Too many stuff going on. From the synth controls and from the program itself. This needs to be more streamlined. The interface feels small and clunky.
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post
Don't use macs. That's what happens when you use a trendy computer from a trendy company :P

Too many stuff going on. From the synth controls and from the program itself. This needs to be more streamlined. The interface feels small and clunky.
That trendy company acquired another trendy company which used to make a trendy synth editor once upon a time.....there is of course a term for that, it's called Macwards compatibility, that's when Apple decides "nah you don't need that no more".
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandturbine View Post
That trendy company acquired another trendy company which used to make a trendy synth editor once upon a time.....there is of course a term for that, it's called Macwards compatibility, that's when Apple decides "nah you don't need that no more".
Yeah I found out the hard way.

It still works with Windows 10, but the Radias' USB MIDI driver doesn't...

OK, so you can go old school and get a MIDI to USB interface that does work with Windows 10 (MOTU's is fine) but it's still a dick-ache.
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetInfinity View Post
Does anyone actually use this software successfully?
I now only use it for my D-550 and that's because nothing can possibly be harder than programming a D50/550 from the front end. I even have a PG-1000 but if anything that's actually harder to use than the panel.

MIDI Quest is a buggy mess with the D50 - it's more luck than judgement when I get it to read a patch from the module, and by default (meaning if you use it the way they suggest) MIDI Quest won't even save a programmed patch (but thankfully the D550 will) but I did find a workaround that if you come out of the patch and move to another patch it will prompt you to save the one you were editing.

I used to use it on the TG77 but it's actually easier to use the panel, even with a busted LCD light.
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Head
My experience with midiquest inevitably ends something like this:

Midiquest == the printer in this scene

Old 5th November 2017
TNM
Lives for gear
what's going on guys? Is midi quest dead or not? Just be honest before I take what is a huge expense to me.. 369 usd is like 500 bucks aud for me.

Is a 64 bit version coming or not?

Such a shame, there is such a huge gap in the market for something like this in 64 bit (and an aax version) and the company that has the so called experience in the field seems to have abandoned it.

I was first in this topic over 18 months ago.. next april will be 2 years!

All i want is a straight up answer on whether this software is abandoned.
Old 5th November 2017
Lives for gear

The IOS version of Midiquest just came out. I was hoping that meant some attention was being put into the program. Certainly that means it’s alive and well and being updated, While Unisyn was my favorite of the editor librarians it’s not currently a viable option, so I have to hope for Midiquest to get its updates.
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
what's going on guys? Is midi quest dead or not? Just be honest before I take what is a huge expense to me.. 369 usd is like 500 bucks aud for me.

Is a 64 bit version coming or not?

Such a shame, there is such a huge gap in the market for something like this in 64 bit (and an aax version) and the company that has the so called experience in the field seems to have abandoned it.

I was first in this topic over 18 months ago.. next april will be 2 years!

All i want is a straight up answer on whether this software is abandoned.
When I hover my mouse over the download and click on it, it says "midiquestprox64.11.0.3.ex" I was thinking about upgrading from MidiQuest 11 to the pro version, is this not 64 bit?

Whenever I have an issue or a question about my version of MidiQuest 11 (not the Pro or Essentials, but the middle version) I simply email him. Have you tried to message him? He usually answers the same day. That's sort of like UAD who also is expensive but...offers fantastic support. You call them, someone answers the phone, transfers you to someone else and gives you a detailed solution. Novel concept in 2017 huh? I do wish his website wasn't so convoluted and a bit more clear about the available products.

You definitely pay a premium price, but from my experience, the help from him is good. I wish he would add some new instruments which he says he is going to do, but he has not, and that is out of my control. I once asked if he would do any Black Friday sales and he didn't know what that was. He has a bit of dry humor.

I'm assuming you desire 64 bits because of the Plug-in support correct?

I agree it is a shame, but there really is no direct competition so apparently not much demand. After years, I'm still in the process of manually converting all my Unison patches to MidiQuest.
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Head

I can only say, that Midiquest works at my studio. I have to admit, somtimes a little confusing, but in general …wow.
And … the developer did the Studio electronics ATC Xi editor for us, when I asked him a while ago.
again wow
Let´s support his company

best regards
Hanneso
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

the ios version appears to be free. Whats the catch ?
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
You buy the profiles you need?

/C
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
You buy the profiles you need?

/C
I managed to install MKS50 and TX802 editors free of charge.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I managed to install MKS50 and TX802 editors free of charge.
Wow! Must be something.

/C
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
Wow! Must be something.

/C
Aye, seems too good to be true.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The app itself is free, but the individual editors themselves are ridiculously priced in-app purchases.

To add my Korg Prophecy they wanted $99 and another $49 to add my Akai controller keyboard. That's more than the cost of the entire desktop app which includes ALL the devices!

On my iPad Air, most of the editors I've tried fail with an 'insufficient memory' error. On another forum the developers were making excuses about newer devices *needing* up to 2Gb ram...

Oh, really, so companies like Korg can produce Gadget, or an entire software recreation of the Wavestation, Waldorf can make Nave, all the Arturia apps etc. which all work perfectly, yet they reckon a basic midi editor needs way more resources?

Absolute cobblers. Maybe they *need* to learn to code properly and stop making excuses. Not that it matters anyway with those rip-off prices for simply re-hashing code they've already written years ago the app deserves to fall flat on it's face immediately.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Absolute cobblers. Maybe they *need* to learn to code properly and stop making excuses.
People have been telling them taht for years

It seems some synth editors come bundled and others you have to pay for. Prices are recockulous.
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Nut

i want to, but cannot believe.

MIDI Quest 11 demo provided me with a non-entertaining waste of time. Crashes and failures to actually communicate with devices.

Mac OS Sierra and Edirol UM-880.
Old 2nd February 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

MIDI Quest 11 demo provided me with a non-entertaining waste of time. Crashes and failures to actually communicate with devices.

it's obviously dead abandonware.

The chances of me giving 369 hard earned USD to this company are zero at this point. The entry level is missing too many things, and then the cost of the two top tiers is close so there's no point not getting the best one.

But yeah, disappearing from this topic too tells me it's over, don't you think?

And it's such a shame cause there IS nothing like it.

Perhaps we hardware synth users really are a dying breed, who knows. I mean if apple stopped sound diver and motu stopped unisyn and now midi quest is on the way out.. if there was a market, surely someone would step in? But it never seems to happen.
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Perhaps we hardware synth users really are a dying breed, who knows. I mean if apple stopped sound diver and motu stopped unisyn and now midi quest is on the way out.. if there was a market, surely someone would step in? But it never seems to happen.
At least Steinberg had the good sense to integrate all that into Cubase.
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Maniac

Sounddiver is/was the best of the bunch IMO. I picked up a copy on ebay a few years ago and runs great.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Instead of "crashes and failures to actually communicate with devices" how about explaining the specific problem(s) along with details of your system so others here, or better yet at the SoundQuest forum can help you? I think the developer replies here, and I know he does at the MidiQuest forum, often the same day. How quickly does your DAW developer reply?

Did you look through the large manual or watch the LONG tutorials? Or were you expecting immediate positive results with MIDI hardware interfaces?
Midi Quest
YouTube

Quote:
it's obviously dead abandonware.
IMO a lot of people believe this because it is so very slow to develop. For example there are lots of instruments that should be available that are not like the Moog Voyager that is now discontinued. The value of MidiQuest for me is the older rack synthesizers and hardware processors of the late 80s and 90s. For newer hardware, I look toward SoundTower for Moog and DSI, but I have found the support at SoundTower much worse than Soundquest.

Also, his prices IMO are high. By his price structure, I think he has chosen to make this a more boutique application for few users as opposed to low prices and lots of users.

I think it is a 1-man operation so consider if MidiQuest pro was sold for example at $59 think of the high tech support demand that would ensue considering the many features of MidiQuest? Midi, combined with all the interfaces, plus individual instruments...I think several hundred instruments...would be a support nightmare, and contribute to escalating complaints. Everyones uses and midi set-up is unique not to mention their OS. This is just my guess as to why he keeps the price point so high. What do you think?

An editor/librarian with the features he chose to implement and maintain isn't an easy task. Importing .syx especially when it works sometimes and other times it doesn't only begs for confusion or frustration. Has anyone even managed to watch all the hours of video tutorials that are IMO the most detailed of any I have ever seen of any audio application? Guaranteed falling asleep before you finish the first one...but it is detailed!

It's amusing how people continually complain about the high prices of UAD. Forgetting they offer some of the best emulations and UAD offers great immediate tech support via phone with a live human person. It seem you often pay for what you get.

There is a reason MOTU abandoned Unisyn for PC and a few years later Unisyn for Mac. Same goes for Soundiver. This guy continues to at least support it, but gets lots of complaints on forums, sometimes unwanted because the user hasn't even submitted the specific problem(s) in order for a reply.

Quote:
But yeah, disappearing from this topic too tells me it's over, don't you think?
Have you checked the MidiQuest forum? Like most applications, successful users don't complain unless they run into a problem or specific question. I think you will detect a small amount of users there, but the questions get resolved. Maybe...not the answer you wished, but at least you got the answer direct from the developer. Again, IMO this is a boutique application because MIDI, and hardware isn't nearly as popular as it was in the past. Just yesterday I asked a couple questions, and he replied within hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandturbine View Post
At least Steinberg had the good sense to integrate all that into Cubase.
All of that? Hardly. Show me the librarian the tags, the sorting and classification, and how easily it integrates with the specific editor?

Before I'm accused of being a fan-boy, I'm not. It's a high price for few users and he doesn't do any Black Friday sales. But to complain about a program with such a large feature set with so many hardware and software variables, and not give specific problems, appears very counter intuitive unless your goal is to see the last application actually go...abandon-ware.
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Instead of "crashes and failures to actually communicate with devices" how about explaining the specific problem(s) along with details of your system so others here, or better yet at the SoundQuest forum can help you? I think the developer replies here, and I know he does at the MidiQuest forum, often the same day. How quickly does your DAW developer reply?

Did you look through the large manual or watch the LONG tutorials? Or were you expecting immediate positive results with MIDI hardware interfaces?
Midi Quest
YouTube

IMO a lot of people believe this because it is so very slow to develop. For example there are lots of instruments that should be available that are not like the Moog Voyager that is now discontinued. The value of MidiQuest for me is the older rack synthesizers and hardware processors of the late 80s and 90s. For newer hardware, I look toward SoundTower for Moog and DSI, but I have found the support at SoundTower much worse than Soundquest.

Also, his prices IMO are high. By his price structure, I think he has chosen to make this a more boutique application for few users as opposed to low prices and lots of users.

I think it is a 1-man operation so consider if MidiQuest pro was sold for example at $59 think of the high tech support demand that would ensue considering the many features of MidiQuest? Midi, combined with all the interfaces, plus individual instruments...I think several hundred instruments...would be a support nightmare, and contribute to escalating complaints. Everyones uses and midi set-up is unique not to mention their OS. This is just my guess as to why he keeps the price point so high. What do you think?

An editor/librarian with the features he chose to implement and maintain isn't an easy task. Importing .syx especially when it works sometimes and other times it doesn't only begs for confusion or frustration. Has anyone even managed to watch all the hours of video tutorials that are IMO the most detailed of any I have ever seen of any audio application? Guaranteed falling asleep before you finish the first one...but it is detailed!

It's amusing how people continually complain about the high prices of UAD. Forgetting they offer some of the best emulations and UAD offers great immediate tech support via phone with a live human person. It seem you often pay for what you get.

There is a reason MOTU abandoned Unisyn for PC and a few years later Unisyn for Mac. Same goes for Soundiver. This guy continues to at least support it, but gets lots of complaints on forums, sometimes unwanted because the user hasn't even submitted the specific problem(s) in order for a reply.

Have you checked the MidiQuest forum? Like most applications, successful users don't complain unless they run into a problem or specific question. I think you will detect a small amount of users there, but the questions get resolved. Maybe...not the answer you wished, but at least you got the answer direct from the developer. Again, IMO this is a boutique application because MIDI, and hardware isn't nearly as popular as it was in the past. Just yesterday I asked a couple questions, and he replied within hours.

All of that? Hardly. Show me the librarian the tags, the sorting and classification, and how easily it integrates with the specific editor?

Before I'm accused of being a fan-boy, I'm not. It's a high price for few users and he doesn't do any Black Friday sales. But to complain about a program with such a large feature set with so many hardware and software variables, and not give specific problems, appears very counter intuitive unless your goal is to see the last application actually go...abandon-ware.
THIS
An editor/librarian is a large task for 1 synth.
He supports many different units.
This guy provides you a chance to get inside your synths...
NEWFLASH! Hardware synths require WORK, as does real engineering.
If you don't want to do the WORK, stay with your beloved plugins!
Whine Whine Whine...
All you people pounding on the guy..."GUI needs update".
You want pretty? Buy some art. This is a tool.
If you don't like it, you are WELCOME to sit down, read the manual, and do all your synths manually, like we used to have to.
Or you can create a better one. Betcha can't!
So sick of the "one button do it to it" types.
"Make it easy? Don't wanna READ all that stuff, just wanna be a big big STAR!"
Be an ENGINEER TYPE, not a poseur, a lemming, a sheeple, a whiner...
I am SICK of the DUMBIMG DOWN of audio engineering....hell, of America period.

If it doesn't work for you, at least give the guy some useful info, instead of badmouthing him...
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm with you - I picked up an ancient JV-1080 with 4 cards a couple of months ago and gave the demo a spin...

My issues with it were:

Had to download each expansion card separately one at a time every time I launched the app.

Just for fun, they decided to change the master tuning on my 1080 every time i used the app.

A $hit-ton to pay just for the use of one synth editor (don't need all the others)

I can see that they wouldn't offer full functionality in a demo, but to provide such a horrific demo experience pretty much guarantees I wouldn't consider being a customer of theirs, regardless of cost.

Greg
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC View Post
A $hit-ton to pay just for the use of one synth editor (don't need all the others)
I would never pay $149 for just one synth editor. Even when if it integrates with a librarian and all the other features.

But there are users with many hardware units that do. Currently my MidiQuest 11 (not pro) is integrated with:

EmuMorpheus
Emu Classic Keys
Roland D-550
Yamaha TX802
Nord 2 Rack
Korg MS 200R
Alesis Midiverb 4
Alesis HR-15
Roland SRV 2000
Oberheim OB8
Ensoniq VFX-Sd
Ensoniq SQR
Kurzweil K-2000s
plus a few other hardware units....

All is interfaced with 4 MidiTimePieces providing 32 midi ins/outs. Windows 7 64 bit PC "sees" this as 2 banks of 16.

I have not experienced any issues that I can't figure out or get help from the developer. Maybe I'm just lucky. I do read the manual at times.

Integrate the above with a Librarian, spend time with tags, and customize the way the librarian works with the editor and some might realize how it's a valuable tool for older synths, especially 90's rack synths....but yes...it's still expensive.

If you want an editor for just 1 synth, there are other solutions.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search